SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-22-16, 12:13 AM   #1
jayv2251
Swabbie

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0
Default Of mods and patches

So, I just reloaded SH4 for the umpteenth time since I bought it half a decade ago. I didn't even bother playing the game and immediately set out to get the 1.0 to 1.4 patch. It wasn't easy either, Windows 10 kept giving me download errors, but I managed. Since this game is slowly passing away in time, I want to start downloading as many mods I can asap, cause even some of the links here don't work any longer. (EG I was just trying to read a mod list and a tip list on renoun, and both links were broken or came back as page not found).

So, I am currently running SH4 v1.4 on Windows 10, so far, so good. I'd love to get the 1.5 "patch" that installs U-boats into the Pacific theater, but alas, I'm not working right now, more important to job hunt, buy a car, and save $$$ because my precious daughter becomes a teen this year 2 days before Christmas.

Honestly, i seriously cannot why Amazon wants $50-$100 for a game 8 years old is beyond me. So what mods can I install for version 1.4? What mods or 3rd party patches do you all recommend. I really like that idea of more bases, but I think that was for version 1.5. Suggestions?
jayv2251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-16, 05:43 AM   #2
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Steam. As drink coaster games lose their drink coasters, Steam becomes the one place where the game is preserved at a reasonable price. If you're running Windows Vista or above you'll have to tell Steam to make you a new Steam games directory outside the system protected Program Files (x86) so that mods will work. Make sure you buy version 1.5, U-boat Missions from them.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-16, 08:36 AM   #3
Gray Lensman
Frogman

Downloads: 104

If you get the itch in the future. The update to v1.5 is available here! thru the site via Amazon (for $9.99) and it helps the site in a small way.

Member since February 2007

Wargaming since 1971 (1st game Avalon Hill's Stalingrad)

Hobby/Gaming Computng since 1977 (TRS-80) (adhoc programming & game modding ever since)
Gray Lensman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-16, 08:51 AM   #4
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Ah yes! Amazon also preserves these games as downloads. You can damage or lose a plastic drink coaster disk. But you can redownload electronic content and/or burn your own drink coaster from it.
Old 09-26-16, 11:36 PM   #5
jayv2251
Swabbie

Okay, I'll make note of that. Once I'm back to work I might concider that option. Are there mods I can use with 1.4 that will have no issues when I upgrade to 1.5.
Old 09-27-16, 12:40 AM   #6
fithah4
Torpedoman

Downloads: 105

There are a few mods compatible but most are for the 1.5 version. Up til the late 2009 mods should work for ver. 1.4 Look in the read me for more info on version and compatibility with what mods for your Mod Soup Flavor!!

Fith
fithah4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-16, 12:13 AM   #7
jayv2251
Swabbie

So frustrating. I find a few mods I'd like to do. Then as I'm reading how to install the extra bases for SH 4 v1.4. Unless I didn't read this right, I need to grab jsgme to add mods. But this happens to be a special download that requires a "donation" to contribute to support this board. (sigh)

I would really, REALLY like to contribute to supporting this board, but sadly for the same reason I cannot upgrade to 1.5, I just don't have the $$$ to do so at this time. Something I'd love to do as not only do you have SH forums, I noticed you also have a forum for Command Modern Air and Naval Operations. (I use to play Harpoon, so I can't wait to get my hands on this game too!)

Just for the record, I reloaded SH4 as a way to relieve tension as I'm doing some intense job hunting, physical therapy and job retraining. It's great stress reliever!
Old 09-30-16, 07:50 AM   #8
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Unless you're looking at a Bonus Mod for subscribers only, you should be able to download anything else. JSGME is not one of those. You of course have to be logged-in to download. The download site can be rather busy, so just give it a whirl at a different time of day. Also, sometimes a browser change helps. If I can't get a good link with IE, I'll try FireFox, and be in like Flint. Cleaning out your browser's cache is all it takes sometimes too. Look at my 'stats', and notice that I've got downloads, and haven't been able to pop for a contribution just quite yet.

There should be a few Webster mods that'll work. I just can't remember if GFO has a 1.4 version... but I do know that a couple of the Fall of the Rising Sun versions do, like v1.2 & 1.3. They do have some "bugs" though that'll get you every once in a while (like a few other mods, and even Stock do), so be sure to save and save often, and with a "new" file name for each save. Don't overwrite old saves.

Also, you could watch the Steam Store site, and Amazon for "sales" on the SH4 v1.5 UBoats add-on. They'll usually run $10US, but hit every once in a while for $5. Going through the SubSim Store at:

http://www.subsim.com/store.html

is a way to contribute also, since they get a small commission on the sale. However, it does not look like much of anything SH4 Uboats is available at this time. I don't think they're got an agreement with Steam from here.

Just be sure that your install of Silent Hunter is not in the Program Files (x86) folder in Windows, due to Windows UAC "protecting" you from yourself. It gets very difficult to install "mods" when the game is there. It's doable, you just have to do all the work that JSGME does for you automatically.

oh, and hey, welcome to SubSim! - oh! I see your "download" has updated. Kuhl.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-16, 07:54 AM   #9
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
If I can't get a good link with IE, I'll try FireFox, and be in like Flint.
Friends don't let friends use Microsloth browsers!

Isn't it amazing that UAC stands guard, keeping us from using our computers, while malware waltzes all over our machines without any problems whatever. UAC was one of the most monumental failures of the Microsoft era. Turn it off and be done with it!
Old 09-30-16, 08:36 AM   #10
ColonelSandersLite
Captain

Downloads: 71
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Isn't it amazing that UAC stands guard, keeping us from using our computers, while malware waltzes all over our machines without any problems whatever.
They also somehow keep managing to open a portal to hell so the world can be overrun with demons that doomguy has to clean up. What? Not the same UAC? Are you sure or is that just what *THEY* want you to think?
Old 10-01-16, 07:20 AM   #11
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelSandersLite View Post
They also somehow keep managing to open a portal to hell so the world can be overrun with demons that doomguy has to clean up. What? Not the same UAC? Are you sure or is that just what *THEY* want you to think?
It matters not. I'm using Ubuntu 16.04 now, running multiple installations of SH4 with Large Address Aware, JSGME and MultiSH4. SH4 runs identically with Windows only a touch faster. In fact, all my work on Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate Edition is being done in Linux.

No UAC. Linux will NEVER redefine the "X" in the upper right corner of a window to mean "install the malware." Linux will NEVER auto-install an operating system I don't want and would put my business out of business because of incompatibility with the "upgrade" I did not consent to. Linux will never reset my preferences to endanger the security of my computer. And Linux will never forget that my computer is my property.