SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-08-08, 01:59 PM   #1
peabody
Admiral

Downloads: 126
Uploads: 7
Default [WIP] Japanese Campaign

From now on this will be the "official" Thread for the Japanese Campaign. The other was asking for help, so the title was misleading.

Since Japan placed more importance on sinking warships rather than merchants, this will NOT be "Engage Enemy Merchant Shipping". It should be more of a challenge with more engagements with Warships and Task Forces, but still some merchant missions. Especially with invasion forces bringing LSTs, Troops and Supplies to the allied forces.

The Submarines were built by Keltos, with some help from Mikhayl, Xantro and ZaZa.
Japanese name were supplied by Takao.

Here are some screen shots to get started with.

Captains Room: changed the flag, the emblem on the hat, the Aces board, various German insignia on paper work, the map, and the photo was replaced with Yamamoto.

Since the room is dark the Submarine Aces board doesn't show up so here is a closeup of it. While making it I was deciding what names to put on it, and since Takao gave us the names and that is a Japanese ship, the first name was simple. Few people know but Keltos is Japanese and means "Honorable Builder of sinking ships" (we haven't decided if that is good or bad).:hmm:

Base assignment screen, using Keltos' Jyunsen B and Takao's name and rank:

This next one is not at the beginning of the Campaign, since Japan had not yet taken control of Wake Island and Rabaul. We will have bases at Yokosuka, Rabaul, and either Saipan or Kwajalein. Wake Island and Truk are for refit.

And finally a look at the Captain's log after a mission. The Japanese writing on the left means "Imperial Japanese Navy" according to Wiki.

More information and photos as we progress. We have been converting a lot of files over to the German side because of the subs being built on German subs. The Campaign was initailly started on the US/Japanese Pacific theater. The Campaign at this time will take place in the Pacific Ocean like SH4 before the Add-on. It will eventually spread into other areas, but we need to take it one step at a time.

We have had requests for Japanese faces and voices. We now have some sources for voices. The faces are being worked on, but nothing definate yet. Our first priority is to get a working/playable Campaign and will most likely be released as a Beta version.

Peabody

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

Last edited by peabody; 09-08-08 at 05:38 PM.
peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-08, 02:40 PM   #2
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 114
Uploads: 18

I just wanted to have the second post

beautiful work Peabody so you actually knew what my name meant

I can't wait to try it ! and by gosh my Jyunsen B looks even better as a background screen, this work looks professional, yes Sir !

keltos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-08, 03:14 PM   #3
peabody
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhayl
Best of luck to you, it's a big taking and the amount of small things that need to be adressed can be depressing at times, but you seem to be doing good
It would be a nice touch if you can scale & simplify the jyunsen model to replace the type IX on the desk.
Thanks Mikhayl. We will do our best. It isn't the 'doing' as much as the 'finding' that I have trouble with. Then while looking for one thing I bump into something and :hmm: wonder what that's for? I have tons to learn, I'll be the first to admit that.

Peabody

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

Old 09-08-08, 04:16 PM   #4
ivank
The Old Man

Downloads: 284
Uploads: 0

Looking Great!!

Leutnant z. S. David U. Ziegler
U-105 IXB On Patrol 1

ivank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-08, 05:11 PM   #5
CDR Resser
Lieutenant

Downloads: 59

This mod is quite intriguing. I look forward to hearing more about it.

Respectfully Submitted;
CDR Resser

Holy Equestrian Order of Saint John Moses
Sometimes, in war, there is an inverse moral. The greater the performance, the harsher the consequence. R.H. O'Kane
CDR Resser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-08, 05:15 PM   #6
Raptor1
Navy Seal

Downloads: 13

I think you should greatly diminish or get rid of the "Sink merchant shipping" mission, since Japan didn't employ unrestricted submarine warfare and therefore didn't send it's subs to hunt merchants specifically (as far as I know)

Otherwise, looks very good
Old 09-08-08, 05:35 PM   #7
peabody
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor1
I think you should greatly diminish or get rid of the "Sink merchant shipping" mission, since Japan didn't employ unrestricted submarine warfare and therefore didn't send it's subs to hunt merchants specifically (as far as I know)

Thank you, we hope it will come out as planned.

I think you may have misread the first post:

Quote:
Since Japan placed more importance on sinking warships rather than merchants, there will be more than just "Engage Enemy Merchant Shipping"...........more engagements with Warships and Task Forces......

Maybe I didn't word it correctly, but check the entries in the logbook. And you won't get much use of your deckgun.

Peabody

Old 09-08-08, 06:04 PM   #8
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

Downloads: 165

Backgrounds look excellent, much better than I had hoped. I was under the impression you would have your hands full with the integration and the rest would look more DIY. But graphics already look very very nice ..

So what can we expect on the campaign side? Yes the japanese favored the attack on warships, and yearned for the "decisive" battle, the one in which all US ships would be wiped out. But do we get a chance to disrupt amphibious operations and shoot it out with landing craft, and in particular work close to islands and together with infantry operations? From what we know about the IJN the assignments should often be reckless and near suicidal, and chances of survival not so much an issue. Dont forget the japanese often used submarines as transport/supply boats, particularly because when they had no other means to send supplies to their infantry, it would be nice to be sent to a starving detachment somewhere in New Guinea.

Really looking forward how you approach the campaign aspect!

GlobalExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-08, 07:13 PM   #9
cgjimeneza
Captain

Downloads: 145
Default looking great

awesome, cant wait to try...

Im doing my 4th official install in multish4 and clearing space on my HD for this

any idea on the beta?

los felicito, se ve excelente

"Left on their own, engineers can be dangerous"

Last edited by cgjimeneza; 09-09-08 at 06:45 AM.
cgjimeneza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-08, 07:20 PM   #10
peabody
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobalExplorer
Backgrounds look excellent, much better than I had hoped. I was under the impression you would have your hands full with the integration and the rest would look more DIY. But graphics already look very very nice ..

But do we get a chance to disrupt amphibious operations and shoot it out with landing craft, and in particular work close to islands and together with infantry operations?
Thank you for your comments, but are you a mindreader by any chance? I just threw these Youtubes together (had to join first) of a couple of things I've been experimenting with the last couple of days. One is without guns shooting back and no landing craft the other has both. Not good quality or sound, just threw them together to answer your question on what to expect, if I can work out all the details (mainly timing) So if I get it working right and you happen to have intel to be in the right place you will be wishing you had more torps.
One drawback is I can not make the LSTs backup so it will have to be a 'simulated' landing where they drive close and turn. As for the 'landing craft' they don't work worth a hoot.

As for looking forward to how I approach the campaign aspect. Ah, me too. Trying things as I go.

Peabody

Old 09-08-08, 07:39 PM   #11
ivank
The Old Man

Downloads: 284

great vids!

Leutnant z. S. David U. Ziegler
U-105 IXB On Patrol 1

ivank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-08, 12:45 AM   #12
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 114
Uploads: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor1

They actually did, starting 1943 if I remember correctly, in the IO they actually scared the allies quite a bit ! they had less success against the US in the Pacific though. But it definetely became part of their doctrine, the only thing being they were losing subs fast at that time.

keltos

keltos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-08, 10:28 AM   #13
Raptor1
Navy Seal

Downloads: 13

Oh, okay, didn't know that

If the "Sink Merchant Shipping" will be given out much less often but not gone completely it'll be fine

Looking forward to it
Old 09-09-08, 01:03 PM   #14
tater
Navy Seal

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 2

They will have the opposite problem of the Australian boats in the USN. They will start having to do more and more special missions as the war goes on. They will be horrible resupply missions.

I have no specifics, but one can only assume the IJN was forced to do what the USN did on such missions—remove fish.

To properly play supply missions, the player should have to remove fish. This might require making a new "cargo" fish. No warhead, heck, no model needed. You get in place, and fire them all off. The player would be allowed 1 real fish per tube, however.
tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-08, 12:39 AM   #15
peabody
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by tater
They will have the opposite problem of the Australian boats in the USN. They will start having to do more and more special missions as the war goes on. They will be horrible resupply missions.

I have no specifics, but one can only assume the IJN was forced to do what the USN did on such missions—remove fish.

To properly play supply missions, the player should have to remove fish. This might require making a new "cargo" fish. No warhead, heck, no model needed. You get in place, and fire them all off. The player would be allowed 1 real fish per tube, however.
You didn't know? On supply missions you put 1 1/2 Tons of supplies in a rubber raft and paddle to shore.:rotfl:. I try to make two rubber rafts.

Peabody