SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-12-13, 06:03 AM   #196
volodya61
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 374
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
What I've understood is that the two tolerance settings are sort of maximum gyroscopic stabilization angles, and that they affect the guns' aim for both AI and human player. If that was true, it would imply that:
1. the higher their value, the steadier the gun, the more accurate its aim;
1. the higher the wind speed, the bigger more noticeable their effect
2. by playing with train/elevation tolerance and speed settings, we can destabilize deck and flak guns without fiddling with trickier parameters
This explanation is much more clearly

Quote:
I don't know if Volodya has other requests, though
I don't know.. You are the Chief!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rongel View Post
Boost guns is like this: AbilityType=GunsAccuracy, GunsDamage, GunsRange, ShellDrag, ShellSpeed ;increase gun accuracy, damage and range (in percents)

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos © - and for some people awakening will be cruel
volodya61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-13, 06:05 AM   #197
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Another parameter that could affect crew's aiming effciency:

GunsCoef, found in:

data\UPCDataGE\UPCUnitsData\UnitParts?VII?.upc (one file for each playable sub)
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-13, 06:24 AM   #198
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodya61 View Post
This explanation is much more clearly
except for the fact that I messed up numbers

Quote:
I don't know.. You are the Chief!
There are no bosses here, we are all colleagues

Out of jokes, I think my work plan collapsed due to the total unreliability (or I should better say: due to the systematic inefficency) of the C30 gun we are testing, even under the most favourable conditions we could think of for it to hit its target.

From what I have seen, under the same conditions, higher caliber guns are by far more efficient (1 shot 1 hit!). If you want, you can start testing on them about the effect of different tolerance settings on their stabilization. In a matter of minutes I will send you a mission where your U-boat is fitted with two 37 mm flak guns (I don't remember which model though) and 1 flakvierling.

EDIT:

here it is:

http://rapidshare.com/files/20022559...20Missions.rar

select the type VIIC/41 for your tests, and try playing with diffrent tolerance factors and wind speeds/directions. Try also adjusting crew rating, if needed. IIRC, it is currently maxed out...
Old 01-12-13, 06:30 AM   #199
Trevally.
Navy Seal

Downloads: 166
Uploads: 28

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...2&postcount=61
Old 01-12-13, 06:36 AM   #200
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevally. View Post
Thank you Trev, I will have a close look at that thread!
Old 01-12-13, 06:54 AM   #201
volodya61
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
here it is:
OK.. I took it..

the .sim files to edit are 37mmM, 37mmSA, 37mmTSA and Vierling.. am I right?

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos © - and for some people awakening will be cruel
Old 01-12-13, 06:59 AM   #202
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
OK.. I took it..

the .sim files to edit are 37mmM, 37mmSA, 37mmTSA and Vierling.. am I right?
absolutely
Old 01-12-13, 07:20 AM   #203
volodya61
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
absolutely
will report the results later..

Old 01-12-13, 08:38 AM   #204
gap
Navy Seal

Added Reworked Morale & Abilities by Rongel to the compatibility list in post #1

Moreover, I added a list of "dinosaurs", whose features could be partly ported to the present mod, if permission is given by their authors. They include:

Anyone wanting to have a closer look at them? Their download links are mostly inactive, but I have all of them on my HD
Old 01-12-13, 06:55 PM   #205
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

off topic , would you know which cam is for your avatar ?
Silent Hunter 5\data\Library\cameras.cam
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-13, 07:04 PM   #206
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sober View Post
off topic , would you know which cam is for your avatar ?
Silent Hunter 5\data\Library\cameras.cam
No idea
Old 01-13-13, 04:03 AM   #207
Rongel
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 174

Quote:
Thank you Rongel, it helps a lot indeed!

By the way: where are these settings found?

I guess you have found them already, but in data/UPCDataGE/UPCCrewData/SpecialAbilities.upc

Do you happen to know if the crew veterancy settings in custom mission do have the same effect as passive abilities in campaign? I am induced to think so, since there are 5 ability levels in campaign and 5 veterancy levels in mission...

No idea, sorry!

P.S: have you seen what I said about gun's stabilization in my previous post? I know you have fiddled a lot in an attempt to destabilize player's guns....

Ugh, that was my first attempts at modding, didn't work out, and can't remember anything, maybe the old thread will be more helpful!
About the torpedo malfunctions... yesterday I tested different values like crazy and got good results. It seems all the other malfunction types work like they should, so there is a point making this mod.

Torpedo can prematurely explode when using magnetic detonation, it can be a dud (hit and not detonate), it can deviate from it's course or it can be a circle runner. I haven't tested the depth keeping, but I hope it works too.

It seems also that the different date-settings work on all other malfunctions except TDW's duds. Only problem is now that duds don't work on imported ships, and that the dud values don't change when war progresses. Otherwise it looks alright, except that testing these is sooo slowwww....

Back to reading!
Rongel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-13, 05:28 AM   #208
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
I guess you have found them already, but in data/UPCDataGE/UPCCrewData/SpecialAbilities.upc
No, I didn't. Thank you!

Quote:
No idea, sorry!
Another point blank question: Do you know if there are similar (crew veterancy depandant) settings for AI guns?

Quote:
About the torpedo malfunctions... yesterday I tested different values like crazy and got good results. It seems all the other malfunction types work like they should, so there is a point making this mod.

Torpedo can prematurely explode when using magnetic detonation, it can be a dud (hit and not detonate), it can deviate from it's course or it can be a circle runner. I haven't tested the depth keeping, but I hope it works too.
Definitely good news!

Quote:
It seems also that the different date-settings work on all other malfunctions except TDW's duds.
That's good news also: it means that TDW could possibly fix his patch when, hopefully, he will be back. Fingers crossed...

Quote:
Only problem is now that duds don't work on imported ships, and that the dud values don't change when war progresses.
Wonder if the dud-immune dat ships issue can be fixed either. On the other hand I wouldn't worry too much about it, since one day these ships will be converted into GR2 units... or at least we hope so

Regarding the date-specific damage settings not being apllied, and your suggestion to duplicate the existing torpedoes, I know Silentmichael is currently attempting to do the same (cloning a GR2 file). I asked him to keep in touch whenever he discovers anyhing new, and I am sure he will assist us when it will be our turn to do the same

Quote:
Otherwise it looks alright, except that testing these is sooo slowwww....
Yes, I can understand you. I hate like you the long waiting times.
Talking about it, are torpedo malfunctions applied in outside the campaign? Testing them in custom mission could speed up a bit the whole process...
Old 01-13-13, 07:15 AM   #209
Rongel
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 174

Quote:

Another point blank question: Do you know if there are similar (crew veterancy depandant) settings for AI guns?

No idea again, I guess picking veterancy level in mission editor affects it, but now idea how.

Regarding the date-specific damage settings not being apllied, and your suggestion to duplicate the existing torpedoes, I know Silentmichael is currently attempting to do the same (cloning a GR2 file). I asked him to keep in touch whenever he discovers anyhing new, and I am sure he will assist us when it will be our turn to do the same

Ok, good to hear!

Talking about it, are torpedo malfunctions applied in outside the campaign? Testing them in custom mission could speed up a bit the whole process...

Yep, testing malfunctions in custom missions!
I have now gathered some info on the malfunctions. Bottom line seems to be that in the start of the war the torpedoes were really unreliable, G7e was even worse than the old G7a. Both magnetic and contact pistols were faulty, but magnetic pistol was almost unusable. Malfunction percent was something like 30%-40%. Magnetic pistol torpedoes detonated prematurely or passed the ships bottom, and contact pistol torpedoes had serious depth keeping problems. Some torpedoes steered of course or in rare cases were "circle runners". Actual duds weren't the biggest issue. Torpedo problems culminated in the Operation Weserubung where almost every torpedo failed. At this time Germans worked hard to figure out the problems and some real improvements were made.

During the "Happy Times" (late may - the end of 1940) things were better, magnetic pistol was abandoned completely (and not used before 1942 again) and AZ impact detonation was used. AZ pistol was improved by now and the depth keeping problem was reduced.

Thats what I have learned now! So at start of the war we need to have really lousy torpedos, and improve them already in the middle of 1940! To be continued...
Rongel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-13, 09:43 AM   #210
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
I have now gathered some info on the malfunctions. Bottom line seems to be that in the start of the war the torpedoes were really unreliable, G7e was even worse than the old G7a.
Really? I was convinced that the opposite was true

Quote:
Both magnetic and contact pistols were faulty, but magnetic pistol was almost unusable. Malfunction percent was something like 30%-40%. Magnetic pistol torpedoes detonated prematurely or passed the ships bottom, and contact pistol torpedoes had serious depth keeping problems. Some torpedoes steered of course or in rare cases were "circle runners". Actual duds weren't the biggest issue.
Excellent, or rather... awful
By chance could you extract from your readings some approximate percentage figures for each specific malfunction type?

Quote:
Torpedo problems culminated in the Operation Weserubung where almost every torpedo failed. At this time Germans worked hard to figure out the problems and some real improvements were made.
Regarding Operation Weserubung, I remember having read that German magnetic deonators didn't like the vicinity to the polar north; in addition, the disturbance on magnetic fields by the Norwegian Fjords could have contributed as well. But indeed there is no way that we can simulate it in game.

Quote:
During the "Happy Times" (late may - the end of 1940) things were better, magnetic pistol was abandoned completely (and not used before 1942 again) and AZ impact detonation was used. AZ pistol was improved by now and the depth keeping problem was reduced.

Thats what I have learned now! So at start of the war we need to have really lousy torpedos, and improve them already in the middle of 1940! To be continued...

I am eagerly looking forward for the next chapter. Keep on your great work, Rongel!