PDA

View Full Version : SH3 Commander-The Complete Super Deluxe Thallium Commander's Special Ultimate Edition

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

JScones
01-23-09, 02:26 AM
Iambecomelife and Sailor Steve have managed to coerce me out of retirement for one more enhancement to SH3 Commander, which quickly turned into two, then three...

Anyway, here is SH3 Commander R3.2...

"The Complete Super Deluxe Thallium Commander's Special Ultimate Edition"

or "ComSupDelThalCommSpecUltEd" for short. :up:

Key features:

ONE INSTALL FILE including the complete SH3 Commander 3.2 plus the latest SH3 Patrol Log Editor plug-in (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=133102). No more need to download three separate files!
No more MIA officers! Simply open the Crew Manager and any displaced officers (like the one you always leave in the Repair compartment ;)) will automatically be found and returned snugly to where they belong.
You can now dismiss or replace crewmen through the Crew Manager. It will cost you renown just like it does in SH3, but your replaced crew may come with previous experience. Just a warning though, don't annoy BdU too much. ;)
If you have the "Use real ship names" option selected you may notice a number of changes when you generate Personnel Files:

details now exist of the cargo carried, crew onboard and crew lost for each ship sunk. This simulates data gathered from survivors, radio intercepts and post patrol briefings. Thanks to Sailor Steve, bigboywooly and iambecomelife for the data.
better matching of a ship name to the ship class sunk. Sailor Steve has spent every waking minute mapping real merchant ship names to their corresponding ship classes. So now, for example, if you sink a C3 Cargo you will get a real C3 Cargo name rather than a name that may have belonged to a T2 Tanker.

Personnel Files now display as intended in non-IE browsers.
A tip screen that randomly displays over forty SH3 Commander usage tips. And by God you will read every one of them.

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/6476/image1wh9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
Example of a patrol log with cargo and crew details - in Mozilla Firefox! Other entries added via the SH3 Patrol Log Editor, now included in the SH3Cmdr package.

Installation instructions:

Click here (http://www.bts-mods.com/?page=sh3user=jscones) (BTS-mods), here (http://www.users.on.net/%7Ejscones/software/products/SH3Cmdr32.exe) (my server) or use SH3 Commander's "Updates" feature (these are the only "official" links).
Select a folder into which to save the installation file. Remember this folder!
Once downloaded, open Windows Explorer and navigate to the folder selected above.
Find the file called "SH3Cmdr32.exe" and double-click on it.
Follow the on-screen instructions and install SH3 Commander. If you are using MS Vista then pls pay particular attention to the Information screen!
Once installed, select "Start->All Programs->SH3 Commander->SH3 Commander User Guide" and at least skim through all 30 pages. It is imperative that you do this IMMEDIATELY after you install SH3 Commander, otherwise SH3 Commander has been known to demagnatise your fridge magnets, kill your guppies and otherwise make your life hell.
IF YOU RUN NYGM then after SH3 Commander is installed you will need to reinstall the specific SH3 Commander cfg files that ship with NYGM. Pls follow the NYGM instructions that you would have followed previously to (re)install those files.
IF YOU RUN GWX 3 then after SH3 Commander is installed you will need to follow the steps outlined in THIS THREAD (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=147567)
IF YOU RUN GWX 2.1 or earlier then after SH3 Commander is installed you will need to follow the BELOW instructions, as they are different to what is written in the GWX manual. IF YOU DO NOT FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS YOU WILL LOSE SOME OF SH3 COMMANDER'S NEW FUNCTIONALITY! In addition, your computer will likely turn itself off and refuse to let you use it again.

Either re-download or use Windows Explorer to find your copy of "GWX_2.0_Cfg_4_SH3Cmdr.zip".
Using your favourite compression tool, unzip the contents of "GWX_2.0_Cfg_4_SH3Cmdr.zip" to a TEMPORARY folder - it does not matter where as long as it is NOT your SH3 Commander folder.
Use Windows Explorer to navigate to where you just installed the files.
DELETE "..\Cfg\Ship names.cfg".
Move the remaining files from "\<your temp folder>\Cfg" to "\SH3 Commander\Cfg", overwriting the existing files.
Pray to Jesus, Allah and/or Buddha that all has worked.

If these instructions sound condescending to you, then they are not meant for you. ;) Indeed, you have prolly already successfully installed SH3 Commander.

If these instructions leave you confused, then perhaps it's best not to download. You wouldn't like it anyway.

Pls note that I DO NOT provide support for individual mods; any questions regarding compatibility or use with individual mods need to be raised with the respective modders. I also DO NOT provide technical support on how to download a file, use a mouse, open Windows Explorer, fix MS Vista etc.

Those of you who have been running the pre-release should redownload as this release has a few further enhancements.

Anyone hosting previous versions of either SH3 Commander or the SH3 Patrol Log Editor plug-in are asked to remove them to avoid inevitable confusion.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________

SH3 Commander http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=4789

Weiss Pinguin
01-23-09, 02:31 AM
A tip screen that randomly displays over forty SH3 Commander usage tips. And by God you will read every one of them.
:rotfl:

Downloading now. I'm assuming I'll need to uninstall my current version of SH3C?

JScones
01-23-09, 02:37 AM
Downloading now. I'm assuming I'll need to uninstall my current version of SH3C?Step 5 answers your question. ;)

From the installer:
!!PLEASE READ BEFORE CONTINUING!!

If you are running SH3 Commander 3.x then you can install this release straight over the top. If you are running an earlier release, then you must uninstall it before installing this release. You do not need to remove any residual files or folders.

Prior to uninstalling your previous release, make sure that you have:

1. removed the SH3 Commander-based mods from Silent Hunter III by pressing the 'Rollback SH3' button in SH3 Commander;

2. backed up any SH3 Commander files that you may have modified, including SH3Cmdr.ini.

If you are running Microsoft Vista it is strongly recommended that you do NOT install SH3 Commander (or Silent Hunter III) to your \Program Files folder, for doing so will invoke Vista's UAC feature which may cause file conflicts or other instabilities.

If you are ready, or if you have no previous release of SH3 Commander installed on your computer, press 'Next' now.Again, if users follow these steps explicitly, they will have no problems. I provide no such guarantee though to users who add their own element of creativity to the instructions.

Weiss Pinguin
01-23-09, 02:39 AM
Ah, okay, hadn't gotten quite that far yet. :lol: Thanks for all your work, mate :up:

h.sie
01-23-09, 02:57 AM
thank you very much. will test it soon, but I already know that it will be good

urfisch
01-23-09, 04:07 AM
great! will give it a a try...the logbook is a really nice feature. hope you can add entries by yourself, during patrol.

Graf Paper
01-23-09, 05:03 AM
Jaesen, thank you so very much for polishing this gem to an even more dazzling sparkle. You are indeed the grand master! :rock:

If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times... I refuse to play SH3 without SH3 Commander! It is, above all others, the one "mod" I can't live without when sailing the North Atlantic.

I say we all owe Iambecomelife and Sailor Steve a heartfelt thanks for persuading JScones out of retirement...and a few rounds at the nearest watering hole to boot! :()1:

Bless you, Jaesen! :D

May your compiler never segfault and your generosity always be the remembered.

evan82
01-23-09, 05:55 AM
I will use this very good stuff today:up:
Thanks JScones:rock:

Awful Smutje
01-23-09, 06:01 AM
Thank you! :up:

This mod gives the game so much life. One of the greatest mods I knew. This "Pre SH3 Start" concept is really great!:yep:

Thanks again and again!

Now I'll just have to check all bars in the harbour, to get my crew in the U-Boat... :ahoy:

rowi58
01-23-09, 06:41 AM
Thanks a lot :up:

The best version of one of the best MODs for SH3.

Greets
rowi58

Wolfehunter
01-23-09, 06:46 AM
Thanks Jaesen, Happy hunting dude. :up:

jaxa
01-23-09, 06:48 AM
Many thanks JScones!

iambecomelife
01-23-09, 07:02 AM
Thanks again Jscones!

And to everyone else - Sailor Steve and I are still working on different features for the ship names.cfg file. Expect even more additions to the names, cargo details, and so on in the future. :D

mengle
01-23-09, 07:22 AM
splendid, thanks for jour great work :rock:

Hitman
01-23-09, 08:02 AM
The best got even better :up:

Thanks a lot for this :yep:

ReallyDedPoet
01-23-09, 08:03 AM
Thanks Jaesen :yep:

Edit: Being as this is the super-duper edition, thread stuck ;):up:

RDP

Dowly
01-23-09, 08:08 AM
Sounds like cool additions. :up:

Wolfehunter
01-23-09, 08:09 AM

RDPUber super duper so-on ya lol I was thinking of Dowly hehehe :rotfl::arrgh!:

bert8for3
01-23-09, 08:18 AM
Many thanks Jscones :up:

Dowly
01-23-09, 08:19 AM

Not in a naughty way I hope... :hmm:

coronas
01-23-09, 08:20 AM
Great news! Thanks for a new SH3 Commander.

Wolfehunter
01-23-09, 08:23 AM

Not in a naughty way I hope... :hmm: :rotfl:No... Your not my type.:smug: I love U-boats.. Type 7's :up:

HEMISENT
01-23-09, 08:26 AM
Jaesen
This sounds great!
I've been away from the game for nearly a year due to rl, decided to come back for WAW 4 and am just starting to get back up to speed with all the newest mods. This latest Commander will be the first thing I get into. Cannot thank you, BBW, Iambecomelife and Steve enough for all the effort.

ReallyDedPoet
01-23-09, 08:27 AM

Not in a naughty way I hope... :hmm:

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

RDP

Stingray67
01-23-09, 09:30 AM
Thrilled by the new realease, but I have one question.

Considering step 8.
I still run GWX2.1 as I am involved in several careers and want to finish those before upgrading to GWX3. The instrucions seem GWX3 specific and I don't want to screw anything up.

Am I still to follow all the steps and will it work with GWX2.1?

bigboywooly
01-23-09, 09:54 AM
Thrilled by the new realease, but I have one question.

Considering step 8.
I still run GWX2.1 as I am involved in several careers and want to finish those before upgrading to GWX3. The instrucions seem GWX3 specific and I don't want to screw anything up.

Am I still to follow all the steps and will it work with GWX2.1?

For GWX 2.1 add in all the cfgs EXCEPT the ship names cfg as you did with your current SH3commander
GWX3 has an installer which is why the specific instructions

mr chris
01-23-09, 09:59 AM
Great Stuff indeed Jaesen :up:

Graf Paper
01-23-09, 10:30 AM
I do know that the Ship names.cfg in SH3 Commander is meant to be the one used and the instructions for back when GWX 2.0/2.1 was the latest is more or less the same except you do not have to worry with the installer of GWX3_CFG_for_SH3Commanders.exe.

Unzip GWX_2.0_Cfg_4_SH3Cmdr.zip to a temporary folder and delete the Ship names.cfg file before copying everything into the Cfg folder where you installed SH3 Commander.

Once you're done, you're ready to enjoy the wonders of SH3 Commander 3.2 with GWX 2.1! :up:

Always trust Jaesen when he tells you what works best with his software. :know:

robbythesub
01-23-09, 10:48 AM
Another great work as usual, many thanks :up:

owner20071963
01-23-09, 11:57 AM
Thanks JScones,
Using Vista 64,
I rolled back My Old SH3 Commander,
Uninstalled It,
Got Rid of The Old Compatibiity Files,
Installed this New Version As Administrator,
Runs Like a Dream,
Many Thanks,
Happy Retirement.:arrgh!:

FIREWALL
01-23-09, 12:12 PM
Thx again JS for this must have mod. This mod adds so much realism to SH-3. :up:

Ktl_KUrtz
01-23-09, 12:21 PM
Thanks,
The best there is!!
KUrtz

panthercules
01-23-09, 06:29 PM
Awesome indeed - thanks to JS and the others who coaxed out this latest version of this amazing program. Can't wait to take it for a spin and start reading all 40+ of those usage tips :lol:

JScones
01-24-09, 12:46 AM
Thanks again Jscones!

And to everyone else - Sailor Steve and I are still working on different features for the ship names.cfg file. Expect even more additions to the names, cargo details, and so on in the future. :D
I'm looking forward to its ongoing enhancement. :up::rock:

JScones
01-24-09, 12:49 AM
Thanks, but it's not merely the super-duper edition, but "The Complete Super Deluxe Thallium Commander's Special Ultimate Edition". :smug:

JScones
01-24-09, 12:51 AM
Jaesen
This sounds great!
I've been away from the game for nearly a year due to rl, decided to come back for WAW 4 and am just starting to get back up to speed with all the newest mods. This latest Commander will be the first thing I get into. Cannot thank you, BBW, Iambecomelife and Steve enough for all the effort.
And it's great to see your randomised events still a staple part of SH3Cmdr even to this day. :up::rock:

JScones
01-24-09, 12:51 AM
I do know that the Ship names.cfg in SH3 Commander is meant to be the one used and the instructions for back when GWX 2.0/2.1 was the latest is more or less the same except you do not have to worry with the installer of GWX3_CFG_for_SH3Commanders.exe.

Unzip GWX_2.0_Cfg_4_SH3Cmdr.zip to a temporary folder and delete the Ship names.cfg file before copying everything into the Cfg folder where you installed SH3 Commander.

Once you're done, you're ready to enjoy the wonders of SH3 Commander 3.2 with GWX 2.1! :up:

Always trust Jaesen when he tells you what works best with his software. :know: Thanks GP.

Woah, connect4. :smug:

JScones
01-24-09, 02:15 AM
I just want to particularly emphasise this new feature: "No more MIA officers! Simply open the Crew Manager and any displaced officers (like the one you always leave in the Repair compartment ;)) will automatically be found and returned snugly to where they belong" because it really could be the subject of a thread all by itself.

This feature effectively provides a totally-transparent-to-the-user fix for the frustrating stock missing officer bug. This bug usually makes itself known when you a) leave an officer in the Repair compartment when docking or b) have an officer in the rear torpedo compartment when you upgrade to an XXI.

Indeed, chances are you now won't even realise that an officer has gone missing because SH3Cmdr has already gone and grabbed him back for you!!

And you don't need to do a thing to get him back other than go to the Crew Manager screen (which any good Kaleun would do between each patrol anyway); SH3Cmdr handles it all for you (consider it your XO).

Thus another frustrating SH3 coding bug gets "fixed" by SH3Cmdr... :up::know:

BTW, thank you all, I am quite impressed and pleased that we are 38 posts in without any sign of a "how do I install the GWX files again?" post. :up::rock:

robbythesub
01-24-09, 04:52 AM
Thats because you explained it step by step!!! :up:

JScones
01-24-09, 06:13 AM
:hmm: That's never made a difference before.

Akula Osis
01-24-09, 07:07 AM
Thanks, much appreciated !!!

Torp III
01-24-09, 08:16 AM

Whoa! Now that is a mouthful to chew on!

As always installed by step by step destructions and my frig magnets are still holding!

Works great and no problems here.:up:

Thank You very much JScones for this addition to SH3 Commander:rock:

New cool desktop icon also:sunny:

JScones
01-24-09, 09:00 AM

Whoa! Now that is a mouthful to chew on! Or just simply "ComSupDelThalCommSpecUltEd" for short. :yep:

New cool desktop icon also:sunny: Yeah, I wanted something different. It'd been a while.

iambecomelife
01-24-09, 09:05 AM
Some pics of the Captain's Log, with the new details:

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d54/iambecomelife/Com-2.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d54/iambecomelife/Com-1.jpg

JScones
01-24-09, 09:59 AM
Nice. Also good to see some of your new ships with names in there too. :up:

I'll mention too that players can choose to have the Cargo, Crew and Crew lost information displayed on a new line rather than on the same line (the default) if they wish. To do this, simply open "\SH3 Commander\Cfg\Ship names.cfg" and set the AddAsNewLine setting under the TEXT block to 1. The result will then look like:

Ship sunk! MV Neptune (Small Coal Tender), 314 tons
Cargo: Foodstuffs. Crew: 15. Crew lost: 6.

Ship sunk! SS Ocean Venture (Medium Merchant 13), 3473 tons
Cargo: Coal. Crew: 41. Crew lost: 36.

Alternatively, if you want the ship names but not the extra details, simply set the AddText setting under the SETTINGS block to 0.

The choice is yours.

-SWCowboy.
01-24-09, 10:07 AM
Right on, thanks for your work JScones! It's appreciated! :up::up:

Larry U-136
01-24-09, 10:18 AM
Nice work!! Great Mod JScones! Thanks

HW3
01-24-09, 10:47 AM
The best just keeps getting better! Thank you JScones.:up:

tomfon
01-24-09, 12:56 PM
BTW, did you know that SH3Cmdr comprises over 7.000 code lines???

Thank you JScones. :rock:

:sunny:

Murr44
01-24-09, 03:23 PM
:hmm: That's never made a difference before.

Yes it did this time. I was somewhat confused about the install procedure of the GWX 2.1 config for SH3 Cmdr. I had to refer to several posts to be sure that I was doing it correctly. Not this time though. Thank you for this new upgrade.:up: :up:

Webchessie
01-24-09, 03:53 PM
I can't play without my SH3 Commander! Thanks for the upgrade!:rock:

bigboywooly
01-24-09, 06:08 PM
Nice one Jaesen
Crack on Steve with your ship names cfg
Although depends on what Iambecome releases in the end
:hmm:

JScones
01-24-09, 06:57 PM
Nice one Jaesen
Yes, come on Steve, I've been waiting, what, 2 days now <impatient stare>.

Or are you waiting for that slacker BBW to give you a copy of EnglishNames.cfg?

bigboywooly
01-24-09, 07:10 PM
Nice one Jaesen
:hmm: Yes, come on Steve, I've been waiting, what, 2 days now <impatient stare>.

Hey
I resemble that remark
:doh:

Seroiusly
Do you want a copy

FIREWALL
01-24-09, 07:12 PM
Works beautifully. :yep: Replaced while in port and am continueing my career.

I don't want to ruin this happy occasion but,....

Maybe SH-4 ????? :D :yep:

JScones
01-24-09, 07:12 PM
Seroiusly
Do you want a copy
I just want the ships! ;)

bigboywooly
01-24-09, 07:14 PM
Seroiusly
Do you want a copy
:rotfl: I just want the ships! ;)

AFAIK
Iambecome is hinting at a release this weekend
So no pressure Steve

JScones
01-25-09, 12:39 AM
AFAIK
Iambecome is hinting at a release this weekend
So no pressure Steve

A Very Super Market
01-25-09, 01:13 AM
Man, if only every instruction manual was like yours...:up:

Marko_Ramius
01-25-09, 01:32 AM
A ton off thanks :up:

JScones
01-25-09, 01:40 AM
BTW, did you know that SH3Cmdr comprises over 7.000 code lines???
OMG tell me about it, LOL! :rotfl:My point with that "tip" was simply to highlight that behind the scenes a lot--a real lot--goes on. Call it self-indulgent or whatever to make a point of it, but the seemingly pretty interface does hide a lot of grunt work.

JScones
01-25-09, 01:44 AM
Man, if only every instruction manual was like yours...:up:
Thanks. And I'll take this opportunity to formally thank irish1958 for his diligence in reviewing the User Guide and providing consistently valuable feedback for its improvement. :up::rock:

A6Intruder
01-25-09, 05:25 AM
Hi Jscones,
i use your fantastic tool with every supermod i use. With this new version i got a little problem with WAC3.0 and S-Boot-Mod (ontop GWX2.1). With normal GWX 2.1 it works fine but with both installations above i get this error message when try to update my personal file: Invalid argument to date encode.
Some idea why? I did not have this problem with older 3. Versions.
Thanks for your help in advance.:up:
Kind regards

JScones
01-25-09, 05:47 AM
Hi Jscones,
i use your fantastic tool with every supermod i use. With this new version i got a little problem with WAC3.0 and S-Boot-Mod (ontop GWX2.1). With normal GWX 2.1 it works fine but with both installations above i get this error message when try to update my personal file: Invalid argument to date encode.
Kind regards
Did you delete any save games in the career? If so, that'll be the reason because SH3 gets itself confused datewise when you revert to a previous save point. To fix, go back into the career in SH3 and exit again, that'll fix it.

A6Intruder
01-25-09, 07:01 AM
Hi Jscones,
Kind regards
Did you delete any save games in the career? If so, that'll be the reason because SH3 gets itself confused datewise when you revert to a previous save point. To fix, go back into the career in SH3 and exit again, that'll fix it.

No i did not delete anything.:hmm: I did install the new version into the existing Commander-folder of each mod.
Kind regards

JScones
01-25-09, 07:23 AM
:hmm: Was it a first patrol? That's another SH3 bug that sometimes foils SH3Cmdr.

If not, I have no idea - usually the error is caused by reverting to an earlier save point or the "first patrol no tonnage bug".

I've made no changes to anything other than the ship names feature and crew manager component, so I'm at a loss to explain why you would now have this problem.

You might have to email me your career files for those that are failing (sans save games).

tomfon
01-25-09, 07:23 AM
...but the seemingly pretty interface does hide a lot of grunt work.

No doubt about that.:yep:

irish1958
01-25-09, 08:54 AM
JSCones,
Thanks for all your hard work in making this "don't leave port without it" mod :rock:

Lzs von swe
01-25-09, 09:33 AM
JScones, SS, bbw, iabl and i1958, thanks for CSDTCSUE:up:

This is a MUST HAVE:rock:

A6Intruder
01-25-09, 12:06 PM
:hmm: Was it a first patrol? That's another SH3 bug that sometimes foils SH3Cmdr.

If not, I have no idea - usually the error is caused by reverting to an earlier save point or the "first patrol no tonnage bug".

I've made no changes to anything other than the ship names feature and crew manager component, so I'm at a loss to explain why you would now have this problem.

You might have to email me your career files for those that are failing (sans save games).

No it was/is WAC/15th, S-Boat/5th patrol. Which folder do you need? Please send me your Mail per PM.
Thanks in forward
Kind regards.:up:

JScones
01-25-09, 07:09 PM
Email address is in the top of JoneSoft.txt.

Email the files that are in the career folder only, not any files in the 0, 1, 2 etc sub-folders.

A6Intruder
01-26-09, 12:36 AM
Email address is in the top of JoneSoft.txt.

Email the files that are in the career folder only, not any files in the 0, 1, 2 etc sub-folders.

On the way

JScones
01-26-09, 01:19 AM
Thanks. Received and reviewed. You should have my response by now.

For the benefit of others, this was an example of the "upgrade before first patrol" stock SH3 bug. There's really nothing SH3Cmdr can do about this; sure, I could trap the error, then look at the Log_0.cfg file and get the correct career start date from it, but that doesn't fix up the missing renown or ship sunk data that are also symptoms of this bug. And TBH I have no intention of writing another 100 lines of code to correct another stock SH3 bug (there's enough lines like that in there already, LOL!), especially when there is a well known and advertised way to avoid the problem in the first place.

And that is?

Don't upgrade your boat before you start your first patrol in a new career. Alternatively, if you feel you must do so, then save just before docking at the end of the patrol. If you do then get the bug, it seems that re-loading the save game and re-docking fixes it.

In summary, if you receive an "Invalid argument to date encode" error when attempting to create a Personnel File in SH3Cmdr it will be because of this bug. You can confirm for yourself by opening Patrols.cfg and checking the StartYear, StartMonth and StartDay values under [PATROLS 000]. If they are all 0, then you have caught the bug. You'll also notice 0 ships sunk, 0 tonnage sunk and 0 renown received, and a few others that I've forgotten now.

Unfortunately this is just one of those stock bugs that is not practical to work around in SH3Cmdr.

Captain Nemo
01-26-09, 07:45 AM
JScones thanks for this super duper update of SH Commander. Installed for use with GWX 3.0 without any issues:up: .

Nemo

Jimbuna
01-26-09, 09:10 AM
Great start to a new year.....nice one http://www.psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/thumbsup.gif

onelifecrisis
01-26-09, 10:34 AM
Thanks JS! :up:
But, I have a question... what is Thallium? :88)

Awful Smutje
01-26-09, 11:10 AM
It's better than "Ultra"! ;)

Stingray67
01-26-09, 12:40 PM
So I installed according to the instructions (slavishly) :-)
I completed my first patrol with it using an old career that was in port when I installed the new SH3 Commander.

All was well and I got a beautiful personnell profile and promoted deserving crew through the crew manager.

But when I accessed the crew manager today ALL CREW IS GONE!!!!!!

A IXC is big and lonely when you are the only one aboard. What gives.
Have I screwed up or is there a flaw?

I am using GWX2.1 and am using only GWX included mods except life boats 4.

Jimbuna
01-26-09, 12:45 PM
Have received 6 PM's today asking the position/procedure if one is using GWX3.0 and never had any version of SH3Commander installed.

Jaesen or anyone else care to advise :hmm:

bigboywooly
01-26-09, 01:54 PM
Have received 6 PM's today asking the position/procedure if one is using GWX3.0 and never had any version of SH3Commander installed.

Install SH3Commander as any new program
Then follow his instructions for adding the GWX3 cfgs in - IE run the GWX3 cfg installer to point at a any folder you choose just not SH3commander
Then manually copy over all the cfgs EXCEPT ship names

Though Jaesen explains it much better

Awful Smutje
01-26-09, 02:33 PM
Maybe he adds some diagramms... :p
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Sorry... Must have swallowed a clown... ;)

tomfon
01-26-09, 02:48 PM
All i know is that its a chemical element but in this case i don't know what JScones has in mind either. :88)

Jimbuna
01-26-09, 03:45 PM

Then follow his instructions for adding the GWX3 cfgs in - IE run the GWX3 cfg installer to point at a any folder you choose just not SH3commander

Rgr that....feel like I can advise them now with a bit more confidence :up:

Murr44
01-26-09, 03:56 PM
All i know is that its a chemical element but in this case i don't know what JScones has in mind either. :88)

Neither do I. Thallium is a highly toxic metal. See here: http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thallium.

Sailor Steve
01-26-09, 06:38 PM
Nice one Jaesen
Yes, come on Steve, I've been waiting, what, 2 days now <impatient stare>.

I've been unable to get to the library to post since Thursday!:damn: Working on IABL's lists while I'm here today. Here's my report from the test patrol I finished up a couple days ago:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a325/SailorSteve/Image1-5.jpg

Weiss Pinguin
01-26-09, 07:15 PM

Neither do I. Thallium is a highly toxic metal. See here: http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thallium.
It's almost ironic with all the error reports that have been posted :lol:

Fubar2Niner
01-26-09, 09:02 PM
@Jaesen

Just a couple lil matters and a question.
After installing the new super dooper extravaganzermalogical version of SH3 Commander:

a) My dog ate all the g/kids fridge magnets after they fell to the floor !
b) Wife has banned any form of physical contact since her guppies turned turtle and sank to the bottom of the tank !!
c) After said dog ate the fridge magnets he now always points North !!!
d) Why for gotin himmel sake don't the shortcut have 'SH3 Commander-The Complete Super Deluxe Thallium Commander's Special Ultimate Edition' as the title !!!!

And now the question.......

If I roll back SH3 Commander will all these misfortunes revert back to their previous state and save me from this 'Life of Hell' ? ;)

Install was a breeze and all works well, thanks muchly shipmate :rock:

Best regards.

Fubar2Niner

JScones
01-27-09, 01:30 AM
So I installed according to the instructions (slavishly) :-)
I completed my first patrol with it using an old career that was in port when I installed the new SH3 Commander.

All was well and I got a beautiful personnell profile and promoted deserving crew through the crew manager.

But when I accessed the crew manager today ALL CREW IS GONE!!!!!!

A IXC is big and lonely when you are the only one aboard. What gives.
Have I screwed up or is there a flaw?

I am using GWX2.1 and am using only GWX included mods except life boats 4. Dunno. If it was a flaw though I highly suspect that a few hundred other people would have mentioned it by now. ;)

Email me the career files (not the files in any sub folders titled 0, 1, 2 etc). Email address as per JoneSoft.txt.

JScones
01-27-09, 01:35 AM

Yes, one could simply follow the 8 steps I listed in my first post. Not sure why people would think that there'd be different steps. :hmm:

JScones
01-27-09, 01:37 AM
Neither do I. Thallium is a highly toxic metal. See here: http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thallium (http://http//en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thallium). It's almost ironic with all the error reports that have been posted :lol:
It's one of the poorest metals, thus somewhat antithesis to the usual use of terms like "GOLD!" to signify final editions.

And yes, it's toxic and should be handled with care; a play on the blame that is usually levelled at SH3Cmdr for anything that goes wrong on a user's computer. ;)

Stingray67
01-27-09, 01:53 AM
Dunno. If it was a flaw though I highly suspect that a few hundred other people would have mentioned it by now. ;)

Email me the career files (not the files in any sub folders titled 0, 1, 2 etc). Email address as per JoneSoft.txt.

Maybe it was a temporary glitch
I went back and loaded the previous save "In base after mission" instead of "In base before mission" and got my crew back through that. I guess that means I don't have a usable career file to send you. I'll come back with the issue if it presents itself again.

I am also getting warning messages about three .act files (action, camera-something and a third I can't remember off-hand. They started after installing SH3 Commander 3.2, but I don't know if that would be related or if it is a case of my SH3 install that has just been bollixed for other reasons. They don't seem to affect loading or playing of the game though. Your Commander is the only change I have made.

Thanks for the reply...and for your absolutely fantastic mod. It bears repeating.

JScones
01-27-09, 02:01 AM
I went back and loaded the previous save "In base after mission" instead of "In base before mission" and got my crew back through that. I guess that means I don't have a usable career file to send you. I'll come back with the issue if it presents itself again. If you like, pls send to me anyway. I can try to replicate a problem (let me know, if you remember, what changes you made).

I am also getting warning messages about three .act files (action, camera-something and a third I can't remember off-hand. They started after installing SH3 Commander 3.2, but I don't know if that would be related or if it is a case of my SH3 install that has just been bollixed for other reasons. They don't seem to affect loading or playing of the game though. Your Commander is the only change I have made. I suspect the latter. SH3Cmdr doesn't directly touch any .act files, but I know people from time-to-time post error screens when running SH3/GWX that refer to specific .act files. BBW I think is the expert on fault-finding those kinda errors.

The first q I'd ask though is have you (re)installed the GWX compatibility files? If you don't that will certainly cause random CTDs with GWX. And I think the camera file is one of them.

Either way, this problem may also be the cause of your crew config problem. :hmm:

Stingray67
01-27-09, 03:08 AM
I went back and loaded the previous save "In base after mission" instead of "In base before mission" and got my crew back through that. I guess that means I don't have a usable career file to send you. I'll come back with the issue if it presents itself again. If you like, pls send to me anyway. I can try to replicate a problem (let me know, if you remember, what changes you made).

I am also getting warning messages about three .act files (action, camera-something and a third I can't remember off-hand. They started after installing SH3 Commander 3.2, but I don't know if that would be related or if it is a case of my SH3 install that has just been bollixed for other reasons. They don't seem to affect loading or playing of the game though. Your Commander is the only change I have made. I suspect the latter. SH3Cmdr doesn't directly touch any .act files, but I know people from time-to-time post error screens when running SH3/GWX that refer to specific .act files. BBW I think is the expert on fault-finding those kinda errors.

The first q I'd ask though is have you (re)installed the GWX compatibility files? If you don't that will certainly cause random CTDs with GWX. And I think the camera file is one of them.

Either way, this problem may also be the cause of your crew config problem. :hmm:

Thanks for the reply. I'll mail them this evening (European Time) when I get back from work.

I did install the GWX compatibility files. I am running GWX2.1 so maybe if this problem persists I will install GWX3. I am hesitant about doing it since I had problems getting it to work on my Vista machine (if it ain't broke...) Also I am unsure about the effects of GWX3 graphics enhancements effects om my computer performance. I guess I will cross that bridge when I get to it. :-)

JScones
01-27-09, 03:31 AM
Just one other thing, you're not using the GWX3.0 compatibility files with GWX 2.1 are you? :hmm: That'll also create problems like you've mentioned.

And as a Vista user I guess you've done all the "special" extra steps required for running SH3, JSGME, SH3Cmdr etc etc on Vista (addressed in various other threads)?

Otherwise I'm running out of ideas...BBW?

Contact
01-27-09, 04:22 AM
Is there going to be updated GWX3_Commander_Files.exe for new sh3cmdr ?

JScones
01-27-09, 04:29 AM
You mean one sans "Ship names.cfg"? Dunno, that's a q perhaps best directed to the GWX team over in one of their stickies. ;)

Stingray67
01-27-09, 04:56 AM
Just one other thing, you're not using the GWX3.0 compatibility files with GWX 2.1 are you? :hmm: That'll also create problems like you've mentioned.

And as a Vista user I guess you've done all the "special" extra steps required for running SH3, JSGME, SH3Cmdr etc etc on Vista (addressed in various other threads)?

Otherwise I'm running out of ideas...BBW?

I am not using the GWX3.0 compatibilty with GWX2.1. I followed your instructions as per your first post in this thread (fridge magents et al are intact :D )

For GWX2.1 I followed what Graf Paper posted earlier in this thread. I might have missed something but I doubt it. I read the instructions several times so as not to miss something.

bigboywooly
01-27-09, 11:24 AM
I think someone was working on a replacement GWX3 exe for the cfgs - without the shipnames file in
Will post more when I know

@ Stingray
What kind of warning messages are those ??

Stingray67
01-27-09, 01:15 PM
@ bbw
---------------------------
sh3.exe - Felaktig minnesavbildning
C:\SHIII\CameraManager.act är antingen inte utformat för att köras på Windows eller så innehåller det ett fel. Försök att installera programmet igen med hjälp av det ursprungliga installationsmediet eller kontakta systemadministratören eller programvaruleverantören för support.
Sorry for the swedish :lol:

The three files in question are:
anim.act
CameraManager.act
StateMachineCtl.act

It says roughly "Faulty Memory Imaging" and that the file either is faulty or not compatible with windows.

SH3 starts normal and I seem to be able to play. I have not played, just started it so there might be a CTD waiting to happen. I have completed one patrol with the new SH3 Commander without these warnings. They happened after.

Feel welcome to PM me if there are further questions
I think someone was working on a replacement GWX3 exe for the cfgs - without the shipnames file in
Will post more when I know

@ Stingray
What kind of warning messages are those ??

Jimbuna
01-27-09, 02:00 PM
I've got a GWX3.0 install working fine but can't get the GWX2.1 to show crew and cargo details etc. :hmm:

bigboywooly
01-27-09, 03:18 PM
I've got a GWX3.0 install working fine but can't get the GWX2.1 to show crew and cargo details etc. :hmm:

When you copied over the 2.1 cfgs did you remember NOT to copy across ship names ??
Was that an existing career or new one

Jimbuna
01-27-09, 04:37 PM

When you copied over the 2.1 cfgs did you remember NOT to copy across ship names ??
Was that an existing career or new one

Same method as with 3.0 (left out ship names CFG)....new career.

Castout
01-29-09, 10:18 PM
where can I get SH3 Commander now? All the links have disappeared.

OLC mods have disappeared too saved a few hosted by bts site.

JScones
01-30-09, 12:15 AM

Read post 1.

Both links work fine for me.

Sailor Steve
01-30-09, 06:50 PM
Me too. I just re-downloaded it yesterday.

Like the new 'Commander' icon, by the way.:yeah:

JScones
01-30-09, 08:13 PM
Like the new 'Commander' icon, by the way.:yeah:
Thanks, I just wanted something different for what I hope is the last release. And because my graphics abilities are very limited, I went with something I could do easily - the KptLt sleeve rank!

Castout
01-31-09, 05:42 AM

Read post 1.

Both links work fine for me.

Ohh silly me somehow I missed the link. Thanks.

StarLion45
01-31-09, 05:52 PM
:D Fantastic this new SH3Cmdr3.2 .:yep:
:yeah: Absolute fantastic :salute: :salute: :salute:

nikbear
01-31-09, 08:54 PM
Can never thank you enough for this JScones:salute::yeah:http://smilies.vidahost.com/otn/funny/outtahere.gif http://smilies.vidahost.com/otn/funny/smile18.gif http://smilies.vidahost.com/otn/other/spiral.gif

magick
02-01-09, 05:53 PM
:) It really is fantastic, thank you very much JScones ! :)

UberTorpedo
02-01-09, 09:54 PM
:salute:Double-ditto :up:

cheers

Galaga Galaxian
02-06-09, 04:06 AM
Man, I get a few days into a patrol and suddenly I notice this. Well, I guess my next patrol will be extra special! Thanks for the hard work over years on this great add-on to SH3. :salute:

It can be used with careers in progress, yes? Figured, does it retroactively add in those extra details? I'll have to find out! :up:

Nedlam
02-07-09, 11:48 AM
I have a quick question about the random events.

I'm attempting to bypass SH3Weather and just use Sub Commander to randomize the weather at the start of the patrol. (I have a feeling SH3Weather is negating the Weather Fix incorporated in NYGM)

Anywho, it appears the first line of code I use changes the values in all three Campaign files works (example below). All other attempts to change the values after that do not work. I've tried everything I can think of. Any ideas from JScones or anyone else out there?

Basically here I want to force the value of zero for CloudsRand. I manually changed the value to 1 in all the files in SHIII then run Sub Commander. I alt tab out while it's running and check and it does change from 1 to 0. However all the other ones I try to change after these lines of code don't (FogRand, PrecipRand, WindRand). It's like the lines of code are being ignored.

[0:data\Campaigns\Campaign\Campaign_LND.MIS]
Mission|CloudsRand=I|0|0|N

;------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[0:data\Campaigns\Campaign\Campaign_RND.MIS]

[0:data\Campaigns\Campaign\Campaign_SCR.MIS]

EDIT: I'm still interested in how to get sub commander to recognize more than the first line but I think initially changing the weather in itself (no matter how you do it) might screw up the weather fix if I'm understanding how the weather fix more or less works.

rtp89
02-17-09, 07:48 PM
i have downloaded the files from filefront, placed them in a file, how do i navigate to it via windows explorer?

A Very Super Market
02-17-09, 08:53 PM
What file did you save it to?

Raptor U-505
02-17-09, 08:56 PM
Can someone help me with the patrol log entry? Im having trouble understanding how to make entries and open it.

A Very Super Market
02-17-09, 09:10 PM
What is wrong with it? Errors, or can you not open it?

Raptor U-505
02-17-09, 09:15 PM
I can open it but how do i update it or does it do it on its own. I am using SH3Gen and those entries are there

A Very Super Market
02-17-09, 09:24 PM
Click a patrol. Then, in the bottom clickable area, click and then type in whatever you want. The " | " key will be the equivalent of pressing " Enter "

RoaldLarsen
02-18-09, 03:35 AM
I have a quick question about the random events.

I'm attempting to bypass SH3Weather and just use Sub Commander to randomize the weather at the start of the patrol. (I have a feeling SH3Weather is negating the Weather Fix incorporated in NYGM)

Anywho, it appears the first line of code I use changes the values in all three Campaign files works (example below). All other attempts to change the values after that do not work. I've tried everything I can think of. Any ideas from JScones or anyone else out there?

Basically here I want to force the value of zero for CloudsRand. I manually changed the value to 1 in all the files in SHIII then run Sub Commander. I alt tab out while it's running and check and it does change from 1 to 0. However all the other ones I try to change after these lines of code don't (FogRand, PrecipRand, WindRand). It's like the lines of code are being ignored.

[0:data\Campaigns\Campaign\Campaign_RND.MIS]

[0:data\Campaigns\Campaign\Campaign_SCR.MIS]

EDIT: I'm still interested in how to get sub commander to recognize more than the first line but I think initially changing the weather in itself (no matter how you do it) might screw up the weather fix if I'm understanding how the weather fix more or less works.

I know nothing about the weather fix, so can't help you there.

And you don't show the code to change the other lines, so I don't know what you might be doing wrong.

So why am I replying? :hmmm:

I once ran into a simlar problem using SH3 Commander. I wanted to change multiple lines in a .cfg file, but only the first change was being made. Essentially, what I had was code that said:

Change lines in file 'A'
Change lines in file 'B'
Change more lines in file 'A'

This didn't work. But when I changed the code to

Change lines in file 'A'
Change more lines in file 'A'
Change lines in file 'B'

it worked. So, if you are are currently changing all the CloudsRand lines before you change any of the other lines, try changing the order of instructions to change all the lines in Campaign_LND.MIS then all the lines in Campaign_RND.MIS, and finally all the lines in Campaign_SCR.MIS. Use only one instance of

and one for each of the other two files.

If I'm wrong about this, or if this is a documented behaviour of SH3 Commander, Jaeson might get upset with me. If I am correct, perhaps he'll want to think about how he manages file I/O, specifically, about when to close files that have been opened for writing.

Nedlam
02-19-09, 08:56 AM
@RolandLarsen

Thanks for the reply. The example I gave was sort of the shorthand version. The other lines of code were below those. :)

I sort of shelved any attempts to randomize the weather with Sub commander. Well, it sort of retreated into the back of my brain as I try to figure out how the heck it all works!

JScones
02-20-09, 12:42 AM
I can open it but how do i update it or does it do it on its own. I am using SH3Gen and those entries are there
Click a patrol. Then, in the bottom clickable area, click and then type in whatever you want. The " | " key will be the equivalent of pressing " Enter "
Of course, one could also simply click on the "Help" link in the Patrol Log Editor to get usage instructions. ;)

A Very Super Market
02-20-09, 12:50 AM
Bah, thats cheating !:O:

JScones
02-20-09, 12:57 AM
@Nedlam and Roald: Not sure what you guys are doing wrong (well, to be honest I think I can make a fairly accurate guess), but I just spent 1 minute doing two tests:

1. Using the following lines:

;----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[0:data\Campaigns\Campaign\Campaign_LND.mis]
MISSION|FogRand=I|99|99|N
MISSION|CloudsRand=I|99|99|N
MISSION|PrecipRand=I|99|99|N
MISSION|WindRand=I|99|99|N

[0:data\Campaigns\Campaign\Campaign_RND.mis]

[0:data\Campaigns\Campaign\Campaign_SCR.mis]

2. Using--and this test was simply to highlight to Roald that his problem is a USER SNAFU, not an SH3Cmdr one--the following lines:

;----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[0:data\Campaigns\Campaign\Campaign_LND.mis]

[0:data\Campaigns\Campaign\Campaign_RND.mis]

[0:data\Campaigns\Campaign\Campaign_SCR.mis]

[1:data\Campaigns\Campaign\Campaign_LND.mis]

[1:data\Campaigns\Campaign\Campaign_RND.mis]

[1:data\Campaigns\Campaign\Campaign_SCR.mis]

[2:data\Campaigns\Campaign\Campaign_LND.mis]

[2:data\Campaigns\Campaign\Campaign_RND.mis]

[2:data\Campaigns\Campaign\Campaign_SCR.mis]

[3:data\Campaigns\Campaign\Campaign_LND.mis]

[3:data\Campaigns\Campaign\Campaign_RND.mis]

[3:data\Campaigns\Campaign\Campaign_SCR.mis]
MISSION|WindRand=I|99|99|N (Of course, this would be the silly way to do it.)

In both instances, I ended up with this in all three files:

[Mission]
Title=GWX_3
MissionType=0
MissionDataType=1
Year=1939
Month=1
Day=1
Hour=12
Minute=0
Fog=1
FogRand=99
Clouds=1
CloudsRand=99
Precip=0
PrecipRand=99
WindHeading=0
WindSpeed=4.000000
WindRand=99
WeatherRndInterval=5
SeaType=0
Briefing= Which is exactly what I was expecting.

BUT I will now add this important comment - it is my understanding that the settings in each of the three campaign files must be the same. Same <> randomised. In other words, you cannot use the randomised events feature to set the same settings across different files. That is not its intent.

I do not know the campaign files that well, and I certainly don't know the impacts that randomising the above settings have on the weather. In other words, I provide NO support whatsoever beyond demonstrating the usage of the function itself, which I have done.

Further, if you fear that SH3Weather is mucking up your weather settings, then I don't know how using SH3Cmdr to do essentially the same thing will be *any* different, considering that all you are doing is replacing SH3Weather's randomisation with randomisation done by SH3Cmdr.

BTW Nedlam, if you read the SH3 Commander User Guide, you will find that there is a much quicker way to test whether changes are made to files - you do not need to load SH3 each time. ;)

JScones
02-20-09, 01:03 AM
If I'm wrong about this, or if this is a documented behaviour of SH3 Commander, Jaeson might get upset with me. If I am correct, perhaps he'll want to think about how he manages file I/O, specifically, about when to close files that have been opened for writing.I think you can now see that you are wrong. ;)

Nedlam
02-21-09, 11:27 AM
@JScones,

I love your program. I wouldn't run SHIII without it. I figured it was something I was doing and not your program. I'm no programmer by any stretch of the imagination so I chalked up my problem to the old GiGo rule, i.e. user error.
:)

I'll have to go back and re-read the manual. I must have missed that part on testing to see if the changes worked.

SH3Weather changes the 'Rand' files along with the other weather variables at the start of the game including Weatherrndinterval. The weather fix sets all of these to zero (weatherrndinterval is five). I thought I could keep the 'Rand' values at 0 and just adjust the other variables with Sub Commander. I was wronng. That's also why I think it's mucking up the weatherfix. Since uninstalling SH3Weather I've had less storms. Maybe I'm just getting lucky, who knows.

Sailor Steve
02-21-09, 05:32 PM
Whatever happened to the random banners? I miss them.:cry:

Or am I just missing them in a different way?:oops:

JScones
02-21-09, 07:28 PM
I love your program. I wouldn't run SHIII without it. I figured it was something I was doing and not your program. I'm no programmer by any stretch of the imagination so I chalked up my problem to the old GiGo rule, i.e. user error.
:) You're fine. It's users who can't get it to work so instantly assume that it's the software, not themselves, that I find a PITA. ;)

@Everyone: The randomised events feature is very powerful, essentially allowing you to randomise any game setting. The trade off is an element of complexity that goes beyond just simple text file editing and cutting and pasting. So, I'm happy to help anyone having problems getting the randomised or static events features to work, as long as they post the full code they are using along with details of what they are trying to achieve and what they are achieving. Partial details, or suggestions that SH3Cmdr must have bugs because you can't get it to work, will not help.

JScones
02-21-09, 07:29 PM
Whatever happened to the random banners? I miss them.:cry:

Or am I just missing them in a different way?:oops:
Yeah, there were some nice banners. But they had to make way for the new interface that came with SH3Cmdr R3.0.

RoaldLarsen
02-22-09, 08:13 PM
If I'm wrong about this, or if this is a documented behaviour of SH3 Commander, Jaeson might get upset with me. If I am correct, perhaps he'll want to think about how he manages file I/O, specifically, about when to close files that have been opened for writing.I think you can now see that you are wrong. ;)
Nope.

Perhaps I am wrong. Perhaps this is a case of USER SNAFU on my part. But I don't see it.

I never asserted that doing what I suggested would definitely fix the problem Nedlam was experiencing. I said I had encountered an issue which seemed similar and told him what I had done, which worked for me, and suggested he try it too. I did not claim that the software was definitely broken but I did include a mention of a particular sort of software problem that is consistent with the reported evidence, as one of a number of possibliites, after user error and RTFM issues.

I seems to me that asserting, without sufficient evidence, that a user is wrong about a software problem is to repeat the very same mistake that a user makes by claiming, without sufficent evidence, that the software is at fault.

Yeah, you ran a rudimentary test that confirmed that SH3 Commander is working just exactly as you intended. Well, you didn't test my particular failure case. You couldn't. I hadn't described it in sufficient detail yet. Now I will. Here is a simple test case that repeats reliably on my installation.

SH3 Commander version 2.7.0.130. Nothing else on my computer that interferes with Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII\data\Cfg\Basic.cfg. Windows XP Professional SP3. Running from an account with administrator privileges.

Step 1. Run SH3 Commander, Roll Back SH3, Exit SH3 Commander. Inspect Basic.cfg, Commands_en.cfg and Sim.cfg in Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII\data\Cfg to make sure that they have their default values for the lines we are trying to change in Static settings.cfg.

Step 2. Edit SH3 Commander's out-of-the-box Static settings.cfg to add the following lines at the end:

SUBMARINE_AMMO2|ForeTube10=2 ;T2
TORPEDO_TYPE5|PrototypeYear=1943

[data\Cfg\Commands_en.cfg]
Cmd313|Key0=0x0

[data\Cfg\Sim.cfg]
Visual|Detection time=1 ;[s] ;was 0.5

Because the pre-existing lines in Static settings.cfg made changes to Basic.cfg, we expect the first two added lines to affect Basic.cfg as well.

Step 3. Run SH3 Commander and use it to launch SH3.

Step 4. Inspect Basic.cfg, Commands_en.cfg and Sim.cfg in Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII\data\Cfg.

You will find that SH3 Commander has correctly changed the four indicated values.

Step 5. Exit SH3 and repeat Step 1.

Step 6. Edit Static settings.cfg to swap the first two lines you added in Step 1, so they look like this:

Step 7. Repeat steps 3 and 4.

You will find that SH3 Commander has again correctly changed the four indicated values. We do steps 5 to 7 to confirm that changing the order of commands within one file section in Static Settings does not affect the outcome.

Step 8. Repeat Step 5.

Step 9. Edit Static settings.cfg to move the SUBMARINE_AMMO2 line to become the third line from the end. Because the line you just moved belongs to a different file than the line immediately above it, you must insert before it a file designation. Your additional lines should now look like this:

Cmd313|Key0=0x0

[data\Cfg\Basic.cfg]

[data\Cfg\Sim.cfg]

Step 10. Repeat Steps 3 and 4.

When I do this I find that the value for the type of torpedo in Tube 1 in a type VIIB in 1940 - the value of the ForeTube10 line of the SUBMARINE_AMMO2 section in Basic.cfg - has not been changed, but the other three values have been changed.

So, I have a simple, repeatable failure case. Will this repeat for other users? IDK. Is the software broken? IDK. Did I make an error? Perhaps, but I can't see it.

JScones
02-23-09, 02:32 AM
I seems to me that asserting, without sufficient evidence, that a user is wrong about a software problem is to repeat the very same mistake that a user makes by claiming, without sufficent evidence, that the software is at fault. Erm, I tested the same condition as you stated in your earlier post. Specific data is irrelevent when one is testing underlying logic. ;) I mean, you can test your data all day long, but put simply, garbage in equals garbage out. And from looking at your code snippet it's obvious that you never validated your input data structure. Fail to you.

So, now looking beyond mere data, look at my test code again and you will see that it writes to the same file multiple times in non-sequential order. Is that (logically) what you were trying to do? Yes, it is.

Heck, I didn't even need to run a specific test - all one needs to do is look at the "fuller" Randomised events.cfg file to see the same condition in action (it does exactly what you are trying to do, so is even further evidence that your problem must be user - so I'm not sure what further evidence I would need in order for it to be considered "sufficient"? Ironically, my evidence is much greater than your simple and repetitive data test).

So...why then would my code work and yours not?

Look at my sample again and compare to yours. You will notice a very fundamental difference. Why? Because I FOLLOWED THE INSTRUCTIONS IN THE FILE HEADER!

And through looking at logic rather than mere data, it took me about 1 second to see the problem with your code and 1 second to fix it...
[data\Cfg\Basic.cfg]
<snip>
MEDALS_CREW|SunkInPatrolGerman=60000; TONNAGE, GC

Cmd313|Key0=0x0

[0:data\Cfg\Basic.cfg]

[data\Cfg\Sim.cfg]
Heck, the instructions even tell you what to do... ;*Prefix each repeated section name with #: to ensure that the name is unique.
Now, if you really understood file I/O you would understand why this requirement is necessary. ;)

RoaldLarsen
02-23-09, 05:12 AM
It seems to me that asserting, without sufficient evidence, that a user is wrong about a software problem is to repeat the very same mistake that a user makes by claiming, without sufficent evidence, that the software is at fault. Erm, I tested the same condition as you stated in your earlier post. Specific data is irrelevent when one is testing underlying logic.
[and]So, now looking beyond mere data, look at my test code again and you will see that it writes to the same file multiple times in non-sequential order. Is that (logically) what you were trying to do? Yes, it is.
You tested the logic in the code that processes a different file. There is nothing in the user documentation that says you use common processes to process all the files. I cannot assume that you necessarily wrote your code to use one standard routine to process all your files. Therefore I cannot assume that when you test the same sort of condition in a different file that you are testing the same code.
;) I mean, you can test your data all day long, but put simply, garbage in equals garbage out. And from looking at your code snippet it's obvious that you never validated your input data structure. Fail to you.
My input data was consistent with the instructions actually written in Static settings.cfg, just not consistent with what you meant. If you write poorly worded instructions - if you assign multiple meanings to the same or very similar terms without alerting your readers to the fact that you are doing this - you cannot expect people to understand what you mean. They will do what you say, not what you meant to say.

Heck, I didn't even need to run a specific test - all one needs to do is look at the "fuller" Randomised events.cfg file to see the same condition in action (it does exactly what you are trying to do, so is even further evidence that your problem must be user - so I'm not sure what further evidence I would need in order for it to be considered "sufficient"? Ironically, my evidence is much greater than your simple and repetitive data test).

When I encountered the failure to write all the changes I wanted to make to Basic.cfg, I was attempting to make those changes by using Static settings.cfg, not Randomized events.cfg. I had no reason to read Randomized events.cfg. I had not read Randomized events.cfg. One shouldn't have to read a different file to understand that the wording in the header of Static settings.cfg is misleading, and that one shouldn't follow its directions literally if one wishes to be successful (unless, OFC, that 'other file' is a manual, errata list, or similar publication).

So...why then would my code work and yours not?
Because you knew what you meant when you used two very similar terms to mean two very different things in the same file header.

Look at my sample again and compare to yours. You will notice a very fundamental difference. Why? Because I FOLLOWED THE INSTRUCTIONS IN THE FILE HEADER!
Heck, the instructions even tell you what to do... ;*Prefix each repeated section name with #: to ensure that the name is unique.

No you followed the instructions you meant to give, but not the instructions you actually gave.

To quote more completely from the comments in the file:

;USAGE:
;[Name of the file including the full path from the "data\" level]*
;ApplyToPeriod=<Start date as YYYYMMDD>|<End date as YYYYMMDD>**
;<SectionName>|<KeyName>=<Setting> for text files OR
;<Offset value>=<Setting> for binary files (do not include comments)
;
;*Prefix each repeated section name with #: to ensure that the name is unique.
According to your syntax guide, SectionName is the thing that goes before the vertical bar on the same line as the KeyName. I don't have any repeats of these. I have repeats of file names. When I see an instruction about repeated section names, I can quite easily conceive that one might want to use a given value of SectionName repeatedly. I didn't need to refer to the same section more than once, so I assumed that this instruction did not apply to me. I have no good reason when I read this instruction to infer that "section name" refers to something other than SectionName.

And yes, I see the little asterisk at the end of the line and at the beginning of the instruction about using prefixes. That does not make it clear that use of the term "section name" in the instruction refers to Name of the file including the full path from the "data\" level rather than SectionName, because a user could just as well conclude that you are referring to repeated reference to a section within a file.

And yes, I understand how the use of file names in square brackets divides the Static settings.cfg into parts that one could call "sections", and that therefore one could say that the file names become "section names"[1], just as SectionNames [2] are section names[3], except that filenames that become "section names" are not SectionNames because they are section names in a different type of file. One could say that, but you don't actually say that anywhere do you? And you know what? That's just shoddy use of terminology. Its the sort of thing that leads to people not understanding what you intend. Its the sort of thing that a proper documentation review would catch and send back for a rewrite. It's a common practice in good user documentation to avoid using the same term in multiple ways, or using two very similar terms with widely variant meanings, and when one is doing something that could be at all ambiguous to provide very clear explanations.

Now, if you really understood file I/O you would understand why this requirement is necessary. ;)
I know enough about file I/O to know that there are more robust and elegant approaches to dealing with multiple references to the same file. And I know that with these approaches, requiring the user to prefix repeated references with unique numeric tags is not necessary.

So put it down to user error if you like. Now that we know what is going on I can confidently say that where I worked before comfortably retiring from the software industry in my 40s, we'd file it under "product defect". We'd also probably send the prefixing requirement back for a redesign. Neither of these would reflect very badly in the performance review of a junior programmer, but treating users (dumb or otherwise) the way you do would get you one warning before costing you your job.

I really like SH3 Commander. It is generally a very useful utility, and reasonably stable. I use version 2.7 a lot, and will soon upgrade to version 3.x. I am truly greatful that you spent the time and effort to create and upgrade it. If 2.7 has a weakness, it is in its user interface. Sort of like its programmer.

Grow some skin.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

[1]"Section names" = the things referred to in the asterisked instruction about using numeric prefixes - the names of sections in the Static settings.cfg file. These names will have as values the pathnames of the SH3 configuration files you wish to modify by using Static settings.cfg. A "Section name"[1] is a section name[3] but not a SectionName[2]

[2]SectionNames = syntax element of a command in the Static settings.cfg file. This element specifies the section name[3] in the sh3 configuration file which you wish to modify.

[3]Section name = (used without quotation marks or colour), refers generically to the name of a section in a file, or more particularly to the name appearing in square brackets at the start of a section of a file which is composed of sections delimited by section names[3] appearing in square brackets at the beginning of the section.

JScones
02-23-09, 05:57 AM
Wow, your comments really highlight how little you know about file structures...and about my professional history. It's starting to get embarrassing. Still, very humourous to read for me and my colleagues, so carry on. :up:

BTW, I'm really surprised based on you saying that you worked in the software industry that you don't understand basic ini file structures and syntax. Ironically, for at least according to you, you should have understood the instructions easier than anyone, but why have others (not in the software industry) had little to no problems getting it to work while you have? Maybe in this case you are the weakness?

Anyway, try to justify it however you like, but simply, your problem was a USER error. Just "grow some skin" and take responsibility for it instead of trying to blame everything else. ;)

Issue closed (as your increased personal attacks suggest that you are running out of mature arguments to justify your mistakes).

makman94
02-23-09, 04:35 PM
Wow, your comments really highlight how little you know about file structures...and about my professional history. It's starting to get embarrassing. Still, very humourous to read for me and my colleagues, so carry on. :up:

BTW, I'm really surprised based on you saying that you worked in the software industry that you don't understand basic ini file structures and syntax. Ironically, for at least according to you, you should have understood the instructions easier than anyone, but why have others (not in the software industry) had little to no problems getting it to work while you have? Maybe in this case you are the weakness?

Anyway, try to justify it however you like, but simply, your problem was a USER error. Just "grow some skin" and take responsibility for it instead of trying to blame everything else. ;)

Issue closed (as your increased personal attacks suggest that you are running out of mature arguments to justify your mistakes).

:down: . you seem to me much more inpolite !

johnlax
02-26-09, 09:42 PM
Sorry for the newbie question here but if I install SH Commander will I have any re-supply at sea feature? DO I need another mod like GWX? I am finding all of this install and re-install stuff abit confusing. No one seems to be clear on outlining the sequence of installation. Right now I have nothing I plan on installing SH III and patch If I just install SH COmmander will I get some re-supply at sea ability. I am afraid to tackle the install of GWX it sounds like I would have to alot of installing and uninstalling maybe I should just be happy with SH Commander! Please let me know your thoughts

JScones
02-27-09, 02:12 AM
Sorry for the newbie question here but if I install SH Commander will I have any re-supply at sea feature? DO I need another mod like GWX? I am finding all of this install and re-install stuff abit confusing. No one seems to be clear on outlining the sequence of installation. Right now I have nothing I plan on installing SH III and patch If I just install SH COmmander will I get some re-supply at sea ability. I am afraid to tackle the install of GWX it sounds like I would have to alot of installing and uninstalling maybe I should just be happy with SH Commander! Please let me know your thoughtsSH3Cmdr's strength lies in its ability to provide you with flexibility and variability when playing your preferred modified installation of SH3. Accordingly, it ships with only a small number of "default" mods, preferring instead to (let you) enhance what you already have installed.

It does not include a resupply at sea mod. For this you will need a dedicated milk cow mod or one of the "supermods". Ironically, GWX is prolly the easiest supermod to install (much easier than d/l all the main individual mods and installing them yourself). There's a GWX sticky thread here with all the info you need. There's also stickies for the other "supermods" as well. Read them all, then choose the one(s) you like the sound of the most.

IMHO though, you need SH3Cmdr in any event. If you are in any doubt over this (obviously) biased statement, then just search the forum...there's plenty of satisfied users. ;)

BTW, you can install and commence using SH3Cmdr at any time. It's totally independent of SH3 and any (super)mod. Just follow the instructions in my first post in this thread.

itman
02-27-09, 06:18 AM
first off: the most useful companion to SHIII.

Having installed the latest and brightest ComSupDelThalCommSpecUltEd. Followed closely the instructions given in the readme. On my XP-Box only superuser is allowed to install programs, so I've given read/write permission to the every-day-user too. Otherwise ComSupDelThalCommSpecUltEd won't let me modify SH3Cmdr.ini. Everything works fine except "roll-back" isn't automatically. I've checked the "automatically Roll-back"-check-box. But when quiting the game, roll-back does not happen. I have to push the roll-back-button.

In SH3Cmdr.ini the function "AutoRollback" is set to 1.

Did I miss something?

cheers

itman

JScones
02-27-09, 06:49 AM
first off: the most useful companion to SHIII. Thank you. :shucks:
Having installed the latest and brightest ComSupDelThalCommSpecUltEd. Followed closely the instructions given in the readme. On my XP-Box only superuser is allowed to install programs, so I've given read/write permission to the every-day-user too. Otherwise ComSupDelThalCommSpecUltEd won't let me modify SH3Cmdr.ini. Everything works fine except "roll-back" isn't automatically. I've checked the "automatically Roll-back"-check-box. But when quiting the game, roll-back does not happen. I have to push the roll-back-button.

Did I miss something? Because you mention specific permissions that are set on your computer, the first thing you need to ensure is that you are logged in under your Computer administrator account (check under Control Panel|User Accounts). This is the default superuser account. If you are, then your problem may be related to how your system's permissions are set up. Not sure that I can help too much there without knowing how it is set up.

Otherwise, ordinarily this problem may occur if:
you are running an auto shut down application like FSAutoStart or similar to close background processes before SH3 loads.
you are running a firewall or virus scanner while SH3 is running. Some can be over zealous and may block SH3Cmdr from doing its job.If so, then turn all such applications off and test again. If auto rollback then works, turn each application back on and retest, until you find the one that is conflicting. Once you find it, you can check its settings and tweak as necessary.

itman
02-27-09, 08:11 AM
first off: the most useful companion to SHIII. Thank you. :shucks:

Did I miss something? Because you mention specific permissions that are set on your computer, the first thing you need to ensure is that you are logged in under your Computer administrator account (check under Control Panel|User Accounts). This is the default superuser account. If you are, then your problem may be related to how your system's permissions are set up. Not sure that I can help too much there without knowing how it is set up.

Otherwise, ordinarily this problem may occur if:
you are running an auto shut down application like FSAutoStart or similar to close background processes before SH3 loads.
you are running a firewall or virus scanner while SH3 is running. Some can be over zealous and may block SH3Cmdr from doing its job.If so, then turn all such applications off and test again. If auto rollback then works, turn each application back on and retest, until you find the one that is conflicting. Once you find it, you can check its settings and tweak as necessary.

You pointed me in the right direction. Just had to add my user-account to the "main-user-group" (Hauptbenutzer) and everything works like a charm. Allbeit it states that my account has now "some striped down admin-rights" :hmmm:.

And yes, I had to shut down Comodo-Internet-Security to free up more RAM. As I perfomed a test-run, comodo still running, it kicks in about SH3cmdr.exe is about to run SH3.exe...

So thank you very much and have a nice day.

cheers

itman

BellJack95
03-16-09, 01:33 PM
JScones - thank you!

Also, my my thanks to those who extorted or blackmailed JScones into coming back to craft this update for SH3 commander.

I am coming back to SH3 after some time on shoreleave, and installed the GWX3.0 GOLD and found this most excellent update for SH3 Commander called....

"SH3 Commander-The Complete Super Deluxe Thallium Commander's Special Ultimate Edition"

I had to look up "Thallium" on the Internet and did not realize it was toxic! I guess that is the stuff in this release that greatly enhances the playing experience of SH3 commander. Being a cautious person, I make sure that I practice "safe sub" techniquies when playing to avoid premature exposure to thallium! My thanks JScones!

Sailor Steve
03-16-09, 05:27 PM
Also, my my thanks to those who extorted or blackmailed JScones into coming back to craft this update for SH3 commander.
You're welcome. Actually it wasn't extortion or blackmail, it was more like "Um, I had this idea..." and he said "I like that! I have to do something about it!"

Such is the nature of creativity. You just can't leave well enough alone.

Thank goodness.:rock:

JScones
03-17-09, 02:23 AM
I had to look up "Thallium" on the Internet and did not realize it was toxic! I guess that is the stuff in this release that greatly enhances the playing experience of SH3 commander. Being a cautious person, I make sure that I practice "safe sub" techniquies when playing to avoid premature exposure to thallium! My thanks JScones!
:rotfl::up:

FIREWALL
03-17-09, 02:49 PM
Quick Question Jaeson

Can I save- exit mid patrol and change TC settings ?

And I have auto-rollback ticked.

JScones
03-18-09, 02:24 AM
Quick Question Jaeson

Can I save- exit mid patrol and change TC settings ?

And I have auto-rollback ticked.
I can't imagine there being a problem.

FIREWALL
03-18-09, 02:37 AM
Thx for quick reply. :salute:

HEMISENT
03-18-09, 01:35 PM
Jaeson,
A loyal fan from the past here. I've been away from the game for awhile now and am getting back into it, just DL'd your latest Commander and am reading the threads start to finish to familiarize myself before I commence installing GWX 3.0 and your new 3.2 version. A pleasure hearing you once more back into the thick of things. Looking forward to reading your take on things as I progress.

Cheers!

Bob C

JScones
03-20-09, 02:06 AM
You're welcome. Actually it wasn't extortion or blackmail, it was more like "Um, I had this idea..." and he said "I like that! I have to do something about it!"

Such is the nature of creativity. You just can't leave well enough alone.

Thank goodness.:rock:
I think most of SH3Cmdr was developed like this - a player writes somewhere "wouldn't it be nice if...", I go "hmmm, sounds like something SH3Cmdr could do" and then it appears in a subsequent release. I always maintain that SH3Cmdr would not be what it was today were it not for such comments from players. Heck, I remember expressing reservations to Beery when he first said that players would like Commander histories, LOL! Glad he convinced me otherwise...

JScones
03-20-09, 02:19 AM
Jaeson,
A loyal fan from the past here. I've been away from the game for awhile now and am getting back into it, just DL'd your latest Commander and am reading the threads start to finish to familiarize myself before I commence installing GWX 3.0 and your new 3.2 version. A pleasure hearing you once more back into the thick of things. Looking forward to reading your take on things as I progress.

Cheers!

Bob C
Hi Bob. SH3's like that - ebbs and flows. Curiously, did you ever complete Type II mals and sabs?

Alex
03-20-09, 08:37 AM
Don't know whether it can be considered as a bug or not, but here's me reporting that sometimes, SH3 commander mixes things up a bit in the campaign loading screen (I use the french version), at the end of the text, SH3 Commander reports uboote and Allied monthly losses. And sometimes, I get the last name under which I saved mid-patrol instead of the allied tonnage sunk.
Maybe knowing that is enough for you to find out and fix the bug in question... Tell me if you need a screenshot though.

JScones
03-20-09, 09:19 AM
Don't know whether it can be considered as a bug or not, but here's me reporting that sometimes, SH3 commander mixes things up a bit in the campaign loading screen (I use the french version), at the end of the text, SH3 Commander reports uboote and Allied monthly losses. And sometimes, I get the last name under which I saved mid-patrol instead of the allied tonnage sunk.
Maybe knowing that is enough for you to find out and fix the bug in question... Tell me if you need a screenshot though.
It's not a bug, moreso an SH3 real estate limitation exposed by SH3Cmdr. Simply, SH3 was not coded to expect more text than what SH3 displays by default. Normally, the extra news brief text that SH3Cmdr adds isn't a problem and is displayed fine. However, when reloading a save game, the save game file name will sometimes overwrite the bottom part of the SH3Cmdr briefing due to where SH3 places the text on the screen. It happens more frequently for French players as the briefing text is longer.

This was first raised and discussed way back in 2005. I trimmed as much fat out of the news briefs as possible to minimise the distraction, and created what I believe was the best compromise between meaningful information and SH3 text limitations. IMHO what's there now is much better than trimming the text to one line or removing the feature altogether (both of which are IMHO gross overkill for a minor visual distraction that only occurs when reloading a save game, and even then not every time).

Anyway, if you find the text truncation too distracting, then, in the absence of the SH3 source code, the only other "fix" is to trim the contents of SH3Cmdr's "Menu variable_**.txt" file and make each entry shorter until it's no longer as distracting. Whatever suits you.

Alex
03-20-09, 09:24 AM
I see...

Roger. ;)
Thanks for your reply.

Wolfehunter
03-25-09, 02:43 PM
JScones Filefront is closing My link will be no good in 5 days.

I have uploaded it onto BTS-Mods.com. I'll post the link shortly.

(http://www.bts-mods.com/tracker/click.php?id=121)

Oneshot/Onekill
03-25-09, 03:49 PM
I just wanted to give a shout out to Jaeson. Thanks for all the time and effort you put into this and Jsmge. I've been using your software for the last 2 years and i wouldn't know what to do if i was playing without it.

Great job!!!:yeah::yeah::yeah:

JScones
03-27-09, 01:05 AM
JScones Filefront is closing My link will be no good in 5 days.

I have uploaded it onto BTS-Mods.com. I'll post the link shortly.

(http://www.bts-mods.com/tracker/click.php?id=121)
Thanks, but it's been there since January (oddly, according to the date added, 5 days before I even released it :doh:)!

I've just PMed Russ asking if he minded me using his link as the primary source for SH3Cmdr.

I will add it to Subsim downloads as an alternate source at a later date (pending the answers to a few questions I have asked Sailor Steve). In the meantime, I ask that *no-one* uploads SH3Cmdr, the Aircraft markings add-on, or JSGME to Subsim.

FIREWALL
03-27-09, 02:37 AM
Another quick question I bet you've answered a hundred times. Sorry.

When I get back from a first patrol.

Can I give all the crew a Patrol Badge without, draging one to each crew member separatly ?

A one click thing I'm missing ?

JScones
03-27-09, 03:05 AM
Another quick question I bet you've answered a hundred times. Sorry.

When I get back from a first patrol.

Can I give all the crew a Patrol Badge without, draging one to each crew member separatly ?

A one click thing I'm missing ?
I removed the "Update All" button in R3.something - seems it was too confusing for some users.

Only way now is one-by-one.

FIREWALL
03-27-09, 03:08 AM
OUCH ! Thx for quick answer JS :salute:

JScones
03-28-09, 02:50 AM
@All, I have updated the first post with new primary d/l links.

You can also download SH3Cmdr from Subsim downloads (which links back to my server), but ONLY download the copy uploaded by me.

owner20071963
04-12-09, 11:26 PM
Ask here,
Lets hope JScones,
Along with other Modders will
Have a Chat with You :salute:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=150302

Platapus
05-02-09, 03:23 PM
I gotta small problem with SH3 Commander.

In the options screen, the program allows the user to designate what TC setting the game will default to when an action happens.

Well I hate radio messages. I REALLY hate having my TC interrupted by some stupid radio message.

What a great thing that Commander gives me to power to change default TC settings...... :yeah:

But the damn thing aint workin! :damn::damn::damn::damn:

I have "when receive Radio Report" TC setting at 1024.

Yet every time some yahoo back at BDU start yappin, my TC drops down to 1 so I have to interrupt my porn surfing just to stab the + key to get my TC where I want it.

What am I doin wrong?

JScones
05-02-09, 09:37 PM
Look at the TC caption again - "When receive radio report". Radio report <> radio message. They are different events.

Radio messages are tied to the "Real time" TC setting. But be aware, other events are tied to this setting as well. Further, if you set the Real time TC greater than the TC for certain other events, unexpected side effects may occur.

Platapus
05-03-09, 11:07 AM
Look at the TC caption again - "When receive radio report". Radio report <> radio message. They are different events.

So I am doomed then. :wah:

Normally it is not all that bad, but last night I got hit with about 8 radio messages in a row :damn:

Too bad with all the great mods out there that one of them can't kill all the annoying radio messages which really don't add much to the game (imho)

Jimbuna
05-03-09, 12:14 PM
So I am doomed then. :wah:

Normally it is not all that bad, but last night I got hit with about 8 radio messages in a row :damn:

Too bad with all the great mods out there that one of them can't kill all the annoying radio messages which really don't add much to the game (imho)

Why don't you take them out physically then? :hmmm:

FIREWALL
05-03-09, 12:15 PM
@ Platapus Simple fix. Pull out radioman for 24-48 hrs.

I don't go above 128 tc but, yes a batch of traffic can at times get annoying.

Platapus
05-03-09, 12:23 PM
Why don't you take them out physically then? :hmmm:

Is there a way to delete the radio messages or their frequency by altering a game file?

Platapus
05-03-09, 12:25 PM
@ Platapus Simple fix. Pull out radioman for 24-48 hrs.

I don't go above 128 tc but, yes a batch of traffic can at times get annoying.

hmm If I remove the radio operator from his station that will stop all the annoying radio messages?

But then I would lose the radio contacts/interceptions that indicate possible ships.

I don't think I would want to lose the latter in favour of losing the former.

FIREWALL
05-03-09, 12:51 PM
hmm If I remove the radio operator from his station that will stop all the annoying radio messages?

But then I would lose the radio contacts/interceptions that indicate possible ships.

I don't think I would want to lose the latter in favour of losing the former.

I'm not sure if the batch of messages I get are the same or has skipped to the next ones.

I still get the convoy or task force messages tho with the radioman off duty.

Jimbuna
05-03-09, 01:30 PM
Is there a way to delete the radio messages or their frequency by altering a game file?

Simply go to:

C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\GWX3.0\data\Campaigns\Campaign

You will see a text document entitled 'messages_en' this contains all the radio messages in English.

I suggest you move it to somewhere safe in case you ever need it again in the future. http://www.psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/thumbsup.gif

ivank
05-09-09, 04:52 PM
I install SH3 1.4b, then SH3C, then GWX3?!

Alex
05-09-09, 05:13 PM
SH3 Commander at the end, mate. ;)

Jimbuna
05-09-09, 06:03 PM
SH3 Commander at the end, mate. ;)

Like the man said http://www.psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/thumbsup.gif

ivank
05-09-09, 07:54 PM
So I install GWX3GOLD, then SH3C, then any other mods?

JScones
05-09-09, 07:59 PM
I install SH3 1.4b, then SH3C, then GWX3?!
You can install SH3Cmdr at ANY time. It is not connected in any way to SH3, GWX etc UNTIL you run it.

All you need remember is:
a) install the GWX config files before running SH3Cmdr
b) run SH3 first to set up the save game folder that SH3Cmdr requires access to

Bronzewing
05-10-09, 01:02 PM
I just checked my log for my last patrol, and I see I sank a C2 "SS Sea Nympg". Either a typo in SH3 Commander, or that ship was painted by a Dyslexic shipyard worker! ;)

Hitman
05-10-09, 02:54 PM
I just checked my log for my last patrol, and I see I sank a C2 "SS Sea Nympg". Either a typo in SH3 Commander, or that ship was painted by a Dyslexic shipyard worker! ;)

Are you joking? Didn't you now that SH3 Commander also simulates real typo errors in the reports? :hmmm:

Sailor Steve
05-10-09, 04:55 PM
A definite typo on my part. Thanks for pointing it out, and I'll fix it for the next update.:sunny:

TarJak
05-10-09, 08:22 PM
Yeah forgetting the I in Nympig is a common error.:D

Graf Paper
05-10-09, 11:36 PM
:har:

Still love the work both of you have done, Jaesen and Sailor Steve.

I'd sooner go without GWX, rather than be parted from my beloved and indispensable SH3 Commander! :know:

And your contribution by adding that extra spice of realism with the "ships registry" for SH3C is like the cherry on top of an ice cream sundae, SS! :yeah:

If I thought begging and groveling like the most piteous wretch to ever grace this earth would soften your heart enough to create SH4 Commander, I would do so with bells on, Jaesen. :yep: You are truly the greatest of unsung heroes here in the Mods Workshop.

Bless all your endeavors! :salute:

JScones
05-11-09, 02:56 AM
Phew. I thought for a second that SS managed to replace a "ho" with a "g". :-j

JScones
05-11-09, 02:59 AM
:har:

Still love the work both of you have done, Jaesen and Sailor Steve.

I'd sooner go without GWX, rather than be parted from my beloved and indispensable SH3 Commander! :know:

And your contribution by adding that extra spice of realism with the "ships registry" for SH3C is like the cherry on top of an ice cream sundae, SS! :yeah:

If I thought begging and groveling like the most piteous wretch to ever grace this earth would soften your heart enough to create SH4 Commander, I would do so with bells on, Jaesen. :yep: You are truly the greatest of unsung heroes here in the Mods Workshop.

Bless all your endeavors! :salute:
What is this "SH4" of which you speak? :hmmm:

Unfortunately, SH4 lasted about 1 day on my hard drive. I might see what SH5 brings, although I think--if user comments are anything to go by--that the devs should now have the hint to include everything within the game, in which case no SH5Cmdr will be required. <fingers crossed>

Anyway, didn't a few others take over the controls for an SH4Cmdr (or equivalent)?

irish1958
05-11-09, 06:46 AM
[quote=J

Anyway, didn't a few others take over the controls for an SH4Cmdr (or equivalent)?[/quote]

Yes, and they dropped the ball shortly after Kickoff.
"FUMBLE" :damn:

Graf Paper
05-11-09, 09:19 AM
Yep. Every attempt has thus far died almost as soon as they were begun.

I know SH4 is like the neglected step-child around here but there are many fans of the game, despite its flaws. A good Commander utility would do much to overcome those shortcomings. I'm a die-hard SH3 fan but having recently purchased SH4 has given me a greater appreciation for the plight of the fleet boat skippers.

Besides that, does anyone else here agree that someone working on such a utility besides Jaesen just feels wrong?

It wouldn't be quite the same without your masterful touch, good sir!

Ah, well. I respect your feelings in the matter, nonetheless, Jaesen.

Sailor Steve
05-11-09, 01:35 PM
SILENCE! I KEEL YOU!

Go back in your cave, DownUnder!:rotfl:

@ the 'other' DownUnder: Keep your 'ho's and 'g's to yourself. I don't want to know.

On a serious note, I'm sorry you feel that way about SH4. I'm actually starting to appreciate its improvements over SH3. It could use your touch.:sunny:

onelifecrisis
05-11-09, 08:36 PM
What is this "SH4" of which you speak? :hmmm:

That one made me :har:

Nerazzurri
05-14-09, 09:53 AM
Despite reading the PDF with SH3Comm I'm confused about the way 'realistic career length' and 'crew transfers' work. The PDF says it's calculated when a new career is started, which makes sense. But I don't get the 'in mid-patrol' and 'tinkering between patrols' relevance.

Can someone 'draw me a picture' for my mental blank on this - I'm sure it's dead easy and I'm being thick :oops:

EDIT: to try and explain a bit better, does the 'tinkering' bit mean that your selections can change if you start SH3Comm and don't start-up the game? Or once you've selected your settings these won't ever change until you start a new career??

irish1958
05-14-09, 01:08 PM
When CMDR starts, no files are loaded into SH3 until the check is selected, at which time it will you that the files are being loaded into SH3. CMDR will (if checked) randomly assign a varying length of time between patrols, and at the start of a patrol will (if checked) randomly transfer a crew member to another assignment and replace him with (usually) with an inexperienced man. No changes are made during a patrol to these files.
If you change many (but not all) settings or files during a patrol, the saved game may not load or CTD.

Nerazzurri
05-14-09, 01:12 PM
Thank you Irish, I think I've got that.

That makes sense with days between patrols and changing the crew roster. I would just have thought the length of your career would've been calculated at the start, rather than every patrol.

Thanks again mate.

JScones
05-15-09, 02:44 AM
Despite reading the PDF with SH3Comm I'm confused about the way 'realistic career length' and 'crew transfers' work. The PDF says it's calculated when a new career is started, which makes sense. But I don't get the 'in mid-patrol' and 'tinkering between patrols' relevance.
Erm, re the bold text, you may like to read the User Guide again; it does not state this at all. It states that "randomisation occurs every time you launch a career using SH3 Commander, but not when your career is mid-patrol.".

That makes sense with days between patrols and changing the crew roster. I would just have thought the length of your career would've been calculated at the start, rather than every patrol.
The User Guide explains how the feature works; it mentions that it is, at least in part, based on the number of days spent at sea. SH3Cmdr is good, IMHO bloody good, but not that good to know up front how many days you will be spending at sea during each patrol of your new career. Hence why it calculates it between each patrol.

Now, SH3Cmdr assumes--because it has no way of knowing otherwise--that if you use it to launch SH3 that you want to play a patrol (kinda pointless otherwise). Thus it performs the retirement calculation when the "Launch SH3!" button is pressed (but again, for obvious reasons, not if you are mid-patrol). It performs the calculation based on the patrol that you are on, and the number of days that you've spent at sea so far. If the result falls within a pre-determined range AND the associated number equals the random number generated by SH3Cmdr, you are retired. This is obviously not something you want to occur if you only plan on loading your career to look at the pretty screens, manually replace crew, or whatnot, hence the "tinkering" statement.

JScones
05-15-09, 03:22 AM
Yep. Every attempt has thus far died almost as soon as they were begun.

I know SH4 is like the neglected step-child around here but there are many fans of the game, despite its flaws. A good Commander utility would do much to overcome those shortcomings. I'm a die-hard SH3 fan but having recently purchased SH4 has given me a greater appreciation for the plight of the fleet boat skippers.

Besides that, does anyone else here agree that someone working on such a utility besides Jaesen just feels wrong?

It wouldn't be quite the same without your masterful touch, good sir!

Ah, well. I respect your feelings in the matter, nonetheless, Jaesen.
Actually, the game may well be good now - I dunno. And you wanna know why?

Ubisoft offered me a free copy of the U-boat add-on when it first came out. Eventually--about six months later--they sent me a copy, with some childish "goodies" customs declaration. This ensured a speedy "return to sender" from DHL Sydney who like to know what they are delivering.

Despite UbiSoft's assurances that a new copy would be sent, none ever was.

I decided right then that I would not buy the add-on and I would certainly not be supporting, and in essence promoting, SH4 when they couldn't even get a package delivered right. In addition, their PR Community Manager, or whatever he's called, couldn't even be bothered to respond to ANY of my emails.

Thus you can blame Ubisoft's incompetence SQUARELY for me not taking any interest in SH4. Not that I've ever felt disadvantaged by my stance - I have SH3 with SH3Cmdr, so I'm very happy.

Anyway, thanks for your kind words GP, but I'll be the first to say that there are any one of at least three people here that could easily make an "SH4Cmdr" equivalent, if only they had time...which I'm guessing is the real reason for it never appearing; as developing something like SH3Cmdr, when you have a full time job and family, can be quite a challenge. ;)

Nerazzurri
05-15-09, 03:41 AM
Erm, re the bold text, you may like to read the User Guide again; it does not state this at all. It states that "randomisation occurs every time you launch a career using SH3 Commander, but not when your career is mid-patrol."

Yes, I'm aware of that now. I misunderstood/misread the text; where it says 'launch', at the time, I interpreted that as 'start' - hence why I wasn't grasping something simple :oops:

Now, SH3Cmdr assumes--because it has no way of knowing otherwise--that if you use it to launch SH3 that you want to play a patrol (kinda pointless otherwise). Thus it performs the retirement calculation when the "Launch SH3!" button is pressed (but again, for obvious reasons, not if you are mid-patrol). It performs the calculation based on the patrol that you are on, and the number of days that you've spent at sea so far. If the result falls within a pre-determined range AND the associated number equals the random number generated by SH3Cmdr, you are retired. This is obviously not something you want to occur if you only plan on loading your career to look at the pretty screens, manually replace crew, or whatnot, hence the "tinkering" statement.

Yep. Thanks mate. :yeah:

OuNiS
05-15-09, 10:54 PM
JScones great work and one suggestion.
Maybe you should change main window property 'Position' from 'poDesktopCenter' to 'poScreenCenter', because if someone use two monitors with DualView option, half of SH3Commander appear on one of screen.

urfisch
05-26-09, 12:50 PM
hey jscones, you did very, very nice work for sh3. and i understand your position, regarding sh4...sh3 has come to a state, which other games never reach, or reached in the past. it is one of the best modded games i know.

you have taken a great part in it! there a question comes to me: what about your reward document addon?

;)

budundi
05-28-09, 03:20 PM
Hi! I have a problem with SH3 Commander. In the Captain's log, I do not see the cargo, the crew and the sailors who survived. Why?

Jimbuna
05-29-09, 06:32 AM
Have you updated your patrol log prior to viewing it?

budundi
05-29-09, 11:29 AM
No! How shall I do not ?

Sailor Steve
05-29-09, 12:54 PM
Do you mean the Captain's Log in the game? Commander makes those change after the patrol is over. You can't see it until then.

Jimbuna
05-29-09, 03:48 PM
At the end of your patrol go to 'available actions' in the bottom right hand area of SH3 Commander and click on 'Update your Personnel File' then 'Review Patrol Logs'.

Bronzewing
06-02-09, 03:30 AM
I Sank another odd ship. "SS Oneida Vidtory (Victory Cargo)" what does Vidtory mean?

irish1958
06-02-09, 07:01 AM
I Sank another odd ship. "SS Oneida Vidtory (Victory Cargo)" what does Vidtory mean?
Dyslexia strikes again :know:

Bronzewing
06-02-09, 07:06 AM
Either that or Titivillus.

Jimbuna
06-02-09, 07:32 AM
A video would you believe

http://video.asterpix.com/v/13627801/wwii-1945-abroad-the-ssoneida-victory-ship/

irish1958
06-02-09, 10:01 AM
Either that or Titivillus.
You devil, you!
Great flick, Jim :rock:

JScones
06-03-09, 02:25 AM
Any questions/issues/feedback around ship names really needs to be directed to Sailor Steve - the creator and owner of the ship names lists. If you let him know then I am sure he will correct any errors in his next update release.

06-12-09, 11:10 AM
Minor problem, I get an error message: invalid argument to date encode. each time I click on the update your personnel file....

Sailor Steve
06-12-09, 12:58 PM
Actually I get to claim innocence in this case. I didn't do the Victory list, nor have I touched it since.

But I will fix it for the next update, which I'm working on now. Thanks for the heads-up, Bronzwing.

sharkbit
06-12-09, 01:36 PM
Minor problem, I get an error message: invalid argument to date encode. each time I click on the update your personnel file....

Is this a first career after loading SH3Commander? :06:
Did you get 0 renown for sinkings after your last patrol?:06:

I had the same problem after getting a new rig and loading up GWX3 and SH3Commander 3.2.

IIRC, there is a bug if you modify your sub on the first patrol after an initial load of SH3 (or SH3Commander-I can't remember which), you won't get any renown for ships sunk and with SH3Comander, you'll get that error code.

I had to have a initial test career with one patrol to clear it and I haven't had any problems since. :yeah: I use this test career to do goofy things occasionally for the hell of it.:shucks:

The problem is mentioned elsewhere in this thread as well I believe.

:)

JScones
06-12-09, 06:23 PM
IIRC, there is a bug if you modify your sub on the first patrol after an initial load of SH3 (or SH3Commander-I can't remember which), you won't get any renown for ships sunk and with SH3Comander, you'll get that error code.
Correct. The bug is in SH3 and affects renown and patrol dates of first patrols. I guess *if* I ever looked at SH3Cmdr again I could write a function that fixes the SH3 problem by replacing SH3's 0 entries with the correct ones.

JScones
06-12-09, 06:24 PM
Actually I get to claim innocence in this case. I didn't do the Victory list, nor have I touched it since.

But I will fix it for the next update, which I'm working on now. Thanks for the heads-up, Bronzwing.
Thanks SS. :up:

06-13-09, 12:04 AM
Thanks gentlemen, I will try.:salute:

Sailor Steve
06-13-09, 05:02 PM
Thanks SS. :up:
Well, I looked at it and in the file it's funnier than just a misspelling. There is an Oneida Vidtory and an Oneida Victory!

Fixed now. Plan on the end of the month for the new update, as I'm busy cross-checking ships for IABL's Merchant Pack.

h.sie
06-22-09, 02:52 AM
Thank you very much for these two SUPER tools: SH3-Cmdr and JSGME!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

06-22-09, 03:13 AM
thanks much gentlemen, i just started in 08 jan 40, worked like a charm.

Lopo
07-06-09, 02:31 PM
Hi,

I'm running GWX 3 with Sh3Cmdr 3.2 for a while and today I had a surprise when I tried to begin a new career in the 7th U-Flotilla... 7th/13th Flotilla were just not available in august 1939 in SH3Cmdr ! They appear for the first time in may 1943. There is something wrong but I don't know what and how I can fix it.
I've uninstalled and reinstalled SH3Cmdr and again the same problem...

Can someone help me please?

Thanks in advance

Lopo

Jimbuna
07-06-09, 04:18 PM
The 7th/13th Flotilla should be available from August 39.....do you have historic U-boat availability dates enabled? :hmmm:

Lopo
07-07-09, 12:33 AM
The 7th/13th Flotilla should be available from August 39.....do you have historic U-boat availability dates enabled? :hmmm:

Yes, I have

Lopo
07-07-09, 02:13 AM
Well, I believe that the problem is anywhere but not with SH3Cmdr.
I tried to start a career with SH3 without SH3Cmdr and I didn't find 7th Flotilla base Könisberg in the career screen loading... I will report this problem to another thread.

Thanks

http://img12.imageshack.us/i/sanstitre1copiec.jpg/http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/4840/sanstitre1copiec.th.jpg (http://img12.imageshack.us/i/sanstitre1copiec.jpg/)
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/%5BURL=http://img12.imageshack.us/i/sanstitre1copiec.jpg/%5D%5BIMG%5Dhttp://img12.imageshack.us/img12/4840/sanstitre1copiec.th.jpg%5B/IMG%5D%5B/URL%5D

Melonfish
07-11-09, 06:50 PM
chaps, any idea's why ship details/names are no longer being shown on the kapitans log and patrol logs. i've upgraded from 2.7 (uninstalled) then ran 3.2 i've double double checked the tick box is in fact ticked ;)
any known bugs?

Melonfish
07-12-09, 06:29 AM
update:

ok, clean install of sh3 1.4b patch and clean install of sh3 commander 3.2
the option is checked for random/real ship names but it just doesn't work?
any ideas?
thx
pete

Jimbuna
07-12-09, 06:48 AM
Check C:\Program Files\SH3 CommanderGWX3.0\Cfg....open the Ship names CFG and ensure the list of names is in fact there.

(The above file structure is for a GWX3.0 install. Yours should read simply 'SH3')

Melonfish
07-12-09, 07:24 AM
c:\program files\sh3 commander\cfg\ship names.cfg
its there and there appear to be tonnes of names in there? anything else i should look at?
pete

Jimbuna
07-12-09, 11:08 AM
Is it a stock installation or a supermod such as GWX3.0.

If it is GWX3.0 then your probably missing the CFG file.

Melonfish
07-12-09, 02:47 PM
stock installation atm. just trying to get it to work?
where are the reg files for sh3 commander i'll do a clean install litterally by removing every remnant of sh3 and sh3c

Jimbuna
07-12-09, 02:56 PM
stock installation atm. just trying to get it to work?
where are the reg files for sh3 commander i'll do a clean install litterally by removing every remnant of sh3 and sh3c

Simply run a registry cleaning programme and that should delete any duplicated or no longer useable files.

The alternative method of manually deleting your registry files is quite complex.

Melonfish
07-12-09, 03:04 PM
been through and deleted them, giving it another re-install now.
wish me luck ;)

Jimbuna
07-12-09, 03:15 PM
been through and deleted them, giving it another re-install now.
wish me luck ;)

Good Luck matey http://www.psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/thumbsup.gif

Melonfish
07-12-09, 03:51 PM
AHA!

finally got it working?! no idea what was going on, 3-4 re-installs later and its suddenly working.
did notice however that the rank and medals option from 2.7 (in german) is missing, yet i loaded 2.7 then removed before installing 3.2 and it you get the ranks and medals in german now where a clean install of 3.2 just gave it in english?
odd.
anyhoo i'll be starting a new career tonight so thanks muchly for the help ;)
pete

Jimbuna
07-13-09, 03:16 AM
AHA!

finally got it working?! no idea what was going on, 3-4 re-installs later and its suddenly working.
did notice however that the rank and medals option from 2.7 (in german) is missing, yet i loaded 2.7 then removed before installing 3.2 and it you get the ranks and medals in german now where a clean install of 3.2 just gave it in english?
odd.
anyhoo i'll be starting a new career tonight so thanks muchly for the help ;)
pete

Great to hear...crack on http://www.psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/thumbsup.gif

FIREWALL
08-01-09, 11:53 PM
My request I hope I can explain well.

What I would like is a place on the log which would show the % of in game realism the player is useing and CAN'T be edited by same player.

This could open some new oppurtunites for friendly 100% realism competition here at SubSim.

Sorry :oops: I don't trust the honor system. :nope: :shifty: :haha:

irish1958
08-02-09, 08:00 AM
My request I hope I can explain well.

What I would like is a place on the log which would show the % of in game realism the player is useing and CAN'T be edited by same player.

This could open some new oppurtunites for friendly 100% realism competition here at SubSim.

Sorry :oops: I don't trust the honor system. :nope: :shifty: :haha:
The problem :hmmm: is that a person can edit :shifty: the realism settings in the gameplay file, if he so wishes, to make his realism 100% with any combination of options he chooses.:arrgh!::smug:

FIREWALL
08-02-09, 12:27 PM
The problem :hmmm: is that a person can edit :shifty: the realism settings in the gameplay file, if he so wishes, to make his realism 100% with any combination of options he chooses.:arrgh!::smug:

:damn: Oh well. It was an unthought out thought. :haha:

Jimbuna
08-02-09, 01:25 PM
:damn: Oh well. It was an unthought out thought. :haha:

An example from Data\CFG\GameplaySettingsCFG:

[RealismPercentage]
LimitedBatteriesRealismPercentage=99
LimitedCompressedAirRealismPercentage=0
LimitedO2RealismPercentage=0
LimitedFuelRealismPercentage=0
RealisticVulnerabilityRealismPercentage=0
RealisticRepairTimeRealismPercentage=0
RealisticShipSinkingTimeRealismPercentage=0
ManualTargetingSystemRealismPercentage=0
NoMapUpdateRealismPercentage=0
RealisticSensorsRealismPercentage=0
DudTorpedoesRealismPercentage=0
RealisticReloadRealismPercentage=0
NoEventCameraRealismPercentage=0
NoExternalViewRealismPercentage=0
NoStabilizeViewRealismPercentage=0
NoNoiseMeterRealismPercentage=0
NoWeaponOfficerAssistRealismPercentage=1

The player must ensure the percentages add up tp 100%

FIREWALL
08-02-09, 02:42 PM
Thx Irish1958 and Jim :salute: I play 100% so no worries for me.

irish1958
08-02-09, 08:38 PM
Thx Irish1958 and Jim :salute: I play 100% so no worries for me.
So do I, but........

Red Heat
08-16-09, 04:16 PM
Thank you very much... :up:

Checkmate King 2
09-11-09, 11:18 PM
Currently none of my high ranking crew member's pictures are showing up when using SH3 Commander at the end of a patrol.

http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/5891/sh3commanderquestion.jpg

Does anyone have an idea as to what might be going on?

Thanks

irish1958
09-12-09, 08:06 AM
Check the file "images" in your SH3CMDR folder and make sure the images are not corrupted.

JScones
09-12-09, 08:51 AM
SH3Cmdr uses the officer icons located in \SilentHunterIII\data\Menu\Data\ofaces. Your problem is caused by installing an officer icon pack that contains officer icons that are not in the same format as the stock SH3 officer icons. Unfortunately, SH3Cmdr cannot cater for every different modder's "unique" take on how to create an image file.

So, either find the mod that changes the officer icons and disable it, or, if you want to keep the officer icons in your game, accept it. Alternatively, I suppose you could go back to the modder and get them to fix them up (as has been done with other officer icon packs).

Checkmate King 2
09-12-09, 09:24 AM
Thank you for the help.

Notewire
09-16-09, 04:00 PM
Can't seem to get the "crew lost or cargo type" part to show up - does this show up randomly? Old hand here, and all the parts of 3.2 are working beautifully with GWX 3 - and I love it. BUT, I just can't seem to get that darn crew lost - I want to know what kind of cargo I am sinking!!!

Any known bugs? Is there more than one 3.2? Is there a place I can check? Thanks for any help.

Regards,
Yarre Notewire.

FJ88
09-17-09, 05:40 PM
Are there any special instructions needed to get this running with the Steam version of the game?

JScones
09-18-09, 03:57 AM
Can't seem to get the "crew lost or cargo type" part to show up - does this show up randomly? Old hand here, and all the parts of 3.2 are working beautifully with GWX 3 - and I love it. BUT, I just can't seem to get that darn crew lost - I want to know what kind of cargo I am sinking!!!

Any known bugs? Is there more than one 3.2? Is there a place I can check? Thanks for any help.

Regards,
Yarre Notewire.
This is answered on page 7 of the SH3 Commander User Guide.

JScones
09-18-09, 03:59 AM
Are there any special instructions needed to get this running with the Steam version of the game?
Not that I am aware of. You may need to manually "point" your SH3Cmdr install to your Steam install though - refer to page 5 of the SH3 Commander User Guide for info on how to do this.

Notewire
09-19-09, 05:37 PM
This is answered on page 7 of the SH3 Commander User Guide.

JS, thanks for all the help over the years, really can't thank you enough - for your hard work and Sh3 Cmdr - I have been using it for years.

I had read pg 7 before asking. I think the answer is that it is random, I suppose. I play near real time, and have only sunk 5 ships since Sh3 3.2. Version is up to date, all should be installed well. I get the name of the ship, and type in parenthesis, but no crew or cargo data. I suppose that is what (where available) implies on page 7 - that it is random? If not I may need to re-install.

Thanks again, and if you have seen this problem elsewhere, I would love to benefit from you experience.

Back to the hunt,
Yarre Notewire.

LGN1
10-04-09, 12:52 AM
Hi,

after upgrading to the latest version, I don't see the figures for the Petty Officers and Sailors in the Crewman Details in the Crew Manager anymore (the small brown and blue man). The officer faces are shown fine, only the figures are missing :06: Is it supposed to be like that? Any comment would be fine.

Anyway, it is not very important for this great program. Thanks for your work, JScones.

Cheers, LGN1

JScones
10-04-09, 10:44 PM
Hi,

after upgrading to the latest version, I don't see the figures for the Petty Officers and Sailors in the Crewman Details in the Crew Manager anymore (the small brown and blue man). The officer faces are shown fine, only the figures are missing :06: Is it supposed to be like that? Any comment would be fine.

Anyway, it is not very important for this great program. Thanks for your work, JScones.

Cheers, LGN1
You never could see figures for POs and other ranks. Only face icons for officers.

Pisces
10-05-09, 12:55 AM
What happend? This thread lost it sticky status!

JScones
10-05-09, 12:59 AM
I think one of the mods accidently unstickied this thread instead of the old JSGME thread.

tnnn
10-05-09, 01:17 AM
I get the name of the ship, and type in parenthesis, but no crew or cargo data.

Thanks again, and if you have seen this problem elsewhere, I would love to benefit from you experience.

I've run into the same problem after I've reinstalled the game (+GWX, +SH3 Commander) - SH3Cmdr updates ship names correctly but forgets to add crew loses and cargo type. Before the reinstall, this feature worked flawlessly (I got both ship name, cargo and loses when updated profile).

JScones
10-05-09, 01:42 AM
You will lose the cargo and crew feature if you overwrite SH3Cmdr's "Ship names.cfg" with an older version of the file, which will be the case if you used an older set of GWX update files when you reinstalled (there's a few versions around for GWX but only the latest set for GWX3 correctly excludes "Ship names.cfg").

The easiest fix is to simply d/l SS's latest ship names update (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=154383) and follow his installation instructions.

Note that even after installing this file you will NOT get crew and cargo details for ships that have already been named; only for new ships sunk.

tnnn
10-05-09, 02:27 AM
You will lose the cargo and crew feature if you overwrite SH3Cmdr's "Ship names.cfg" with an older version of the file, which will be the case if you used an older set of GWX update files when you reinstalled

Yup, that was it :)

Note that even after installing this file you will NOT get crew and cargo details for ships that have already been named; only for new ships sunk.Or you can simply edit your logs and remove the name, (), cargo and crew + remove the names from used names file. Then, when you update, you'll get a full refresh - including old wrecks.

Thanks for help :)