SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-04-17, 08:15 PM   #91
Geoff then
Gunner

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 0
Default What do you guys think?

Will it be possible, if i reinstall the game, take that file out of the stock game (1.3), then update it to 1.4 and replace that file?
Geoff then is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-17, 01:48 AM   #92
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 441
Uploads: 2

You are good on your install directory choice, and "Yes", you could copy the file out of v1.3, install the v1.4 patch, copy that version of the file for "just in case", then put the v1.3 copy version and see what you get.

Have you looked into running the SH4.exe as administrator, or any of the emulation settings, all found on the SH4.exe Properties page? It could also be that the game is needing more RAM to run in, so try the LAA (Large Address Aware) that CapnScurvy talks about in his thread Windows10; Large Address Aware; SH4 Install. These are all things you should do anyway, and might be "the cure" you need also.

You might also consider buying the UBoat Missions Add-on, which would bring you up to v1.5, which also allows you to use more / newer versions of mods. If you have a Steam version of the game, you have to buy the Steam version of the Add-on. The Steam version of the Add-on only works with the Steam game. Otherwise, you can buy anybody's version for any other downloaded version (usually), or for a DVD version. Both Steam and Amazon are having "sales" right now, with $5 US the asking price at both locations. Go to Amazon through the Store link here and the site gets a percentage of the sale for the referral.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-17, 06:13 AM   #93
Geoff then
Gunner

Thanks for the fast reply. I have not yet looked into this, but will do so very soon. And yes i'm highly considering buying the add-on, german campain looks pretty nice!

Funny thing that Ubisoft can produce such great games, and yet make such a mess with compatibility and reliability.
But IMO all great games have big mistakes. It's almost like driving old italian sportscars.

I will go through the compatibility options now and see what happens. Then i will do the reinstallation and report if that helped.

Edit: So that fix did not help at all, replacing the file with the old one also causes the periscope animation to disappear again. I hoped, the animation is done by another file.
Ran through all compatibility options with no noticable difference. I guess i really need that file from this ancient fix posted here. If anyone still has it, please report to me. I would be really grateful.
If there is no help left, I guess I just have to buy the addon.

Last edited by Geoff then; 07-05-17 at 06:53 AM.
Old 07-05-17, 08:49 AM   #94
propbeanie

You've got a v1.3 DVD disk, updating it to v1.4 with the patch from either here or Ubi? ... and you did a fresh re-install of the v1.3 from the disk, with no mods in it?... Did you install the DirectX 9 with it? Did you get the licensing thingie after re-installing and starting it the first time?

Old 07-05-17, 11:34 AM   #95
Geoff then
Gunner

Yes, v1.3 disc, patch downloaded from ubisoft website, fresh reinstall with no mods. I havent gone into the modlist for this game, i wanted to play it vanilla until i get bored of it (happened very quick with sh5, i guess this vanilla could keep me busy for a much bigger amount of time). I also installed the dx stuff due to a recommendation i've read in the thread you posted. Problem still occurs, as described in the other threads. So, i believe, it must be the file, in 1.3 the persicope animation is missing and in 1.4 the dials are missing.(nss_gato_ct dat). And this license problem did not occur to me either. I'm doomed.
Old 07-05-17, 11:57 AM   #96
propbeanie

I'm wondering if the dials disappearing isn't a function of the shtinking licensing... Let's do this, starting in post #27 of Let's Install Linux on Moonlight's Spare Computer, on Page 2 Rockin Robbins installs SH4 and does a Ubi update on it (Uboats Add-on) on Page 3. Even though it's Ubuntu Linux, it's still running the same install. If you're wondering about all those Photobucket "Tombstones" in there, they just changed their licensing agreement, and have disallowed postings on other sites. Not cool. Anyway, make sure you're activating the game correctly. Oh! Are you using a copy of the DVD to do your install?... Use the original!... I don't think there's issues with my v1.3 disk, but my original game on disk from 2007 was ~very~ picky about having the original disk for installation. Once you get v1.4 to working correctly, it eliminates the disk requirement.

Old 07-05-17, 04:10 PM   #97
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Default Missing dials fix for v1.4

Anvart, a Russian modder and expert hex editor fixed the missing v1.4 gauges in the CT back in 2007.

This is the topic:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=126188

I have the file: DialsGatoCT_Fix_14.7z if it isn't here.

Looks like he did some repair work on the sim file in the CR too.
Quote:
November, 29th 2007.
DialsGatoCT_Fix_14.7z
Author Anvart.
This mod is for ver. 1.4 SH4 game.
This mod fix dials mistakes in CT of Gato interior.

Legal / Disclaimer:
- You may not use this mod in any commercial way like expansion packs etc. It is intended for non-commercial use only.
- You may not use this mod in other mods without the permission of the author and without the corresponding credits.

Successful hunting.
Anvart

THIS MOD IS FREEWARE AND CAN'T BE USED FOR COMMERCIAL PURPOSES OF ANY KIND.
Protect each one we ask of thee.
Bless those at home who wait and pray,
For their return by night and day."

aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-17, 08:38 PM   #98
Geoff then
Gunner

He told me that his entire filefront-page isn't up anymore, so i don't think the file is available anymore. You still have it? If yes, could you upload it here?
Old 07-05-17, 10:26 PM   #99
propbeanie

So, aanker, I remember the issue from the "good ole days" (hah!), but never experienced this myself on my computer. Were there some commonalities that anyone ever figured out the "why" some people had it, and others didn't? I got the "no eyes" just recently for the first time in my SH4 10+ year "career", and it was because of a festering mod soup situation... "George just lucky, I guess"...

Old 07-06-17, 08:29 AM   #100
Geoff then
Gunner

Ok, now i solved this particular problem for me. Now though, i have a new one.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...37#post2497937
Old 07-06-17, 08:45 AM   #101
propbeanie

What did you do then? Get the file from aanker? Or something else?

Old 07-06-17, 09:28 AM   #102
Geoff then
Gunner

I just bought the add-on. Walked right past it today, and it was cheap.
Old 07-06-17, 09:58 AM   #103
propbeanie

ee-Yup, that would fix some of the issues in v1.3 alright

You'll like the mod selection better anyway.

Old 07-16-17, 07:56 AM   #104
Anvart
Admiral

Downloads: 122
Uploads: 1
wolf_howl15

Quote:
Originally Posted by aanker View Post
Anvart ... I have the file: DialsGatoCT_Fix_14.7z if it isn't here.
... Looks like he did some repair work on the sim file in the CR too.
If I still remember (???) something... I edited the geometry... the position of the nodes relative to each other in 3D Editor (3ds Max) too.

Moses said: "Don't create yourself an idol"...

Last edited by Anvart; 07-20-17 at 03:40 PM.
Anvart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-17, 10:04 AM   #105
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anvart View Post
If I still remember (???) something... I edited the geometry... the position of the nodes relative to each other in 3D Editor too.
You were fixing bugs in SH4 everywhere, from the very early days and I thank you!

Another big fix you did was the Raising & lowering of the Aircraft radar that people can still learn how to do from your post - of course using S3D nowadays is easier, and your mod makes it easier still : )

I have your 1.4 mod fix for that too:
SDantenna_UpDown.7z if any 1.4 players need that (I'm pretty sure it also works in 1.5, IIRC.

Geoff then and anyone else:
I do have the 1.4 file DialsGatoCT_Fix_14.7z if anyone still needs it uploaded here, sorry, I've been gone for a few days. My recommendation however is for people to buy the 1.5 expansion 'U boat missions' like Geoff then did, or buy the complete 'Gold' edition. v1.5 also improves many things wrong in 1.4 on the US side as well including those missing CT gauges.

Happy Hunting!
Protect each one we ask of thee.
Bless those at home who wait and pray,
For their return by night and day."

Last edited by aanker; 07-16-17 at 10:31 AM.
aanker is offline   Reply With Quote