This procedure is helpful when the game freezes up during the intro animation. The game will usually default to an IRQ setting of 7, when in fact, most sound cards today come with a setting of IRQ 5. Hence, a lockup when the digital sound FX attempt to play.
Before beginning, you will want to be sure that you know what your current soundcard settings are. If you are unsure, one way to determine these settings is to type SET and press enter from a C: prompt. Look for a line that begins with the word BLASTER. The following variables represent your current settings (A=I/O port address, I=IRQ, D=DMA). Write down these settings. If you do not see a blaster line or are unsure of these settings, please refer to your soundcard documentation.
1. Change to the directory that the game is installed to on your hard drive. The default should be C:\SEAWOLF.
2. From the SEAWOLF prompt, type SETUP and press enter.
3. You will be asked if you want to "autodetect for the presence of a SoundBlaster". Press N for no.
4. A screen will appear with a window labeled "Sound Capabilities". This window will contain a list of soundcards. Using the arrow keys, highlight the soundcard that most closely matches what you have in your system. (NOTE: If you have a SoundBlaster compatible soundcard, be sure to choose SoundBlaster Clone.)
5. Once you have the proper soundcard highlighted, press C on your keyboard. This will bring up a series of dialog boxes prompting you to enter the correct settings of your soundcard. These settings include the I/O port address, IRQ, and DMA channel. (NOTE: Depending on what soundcard you have selected, you may not be asked for all of these settings.)
6. Once you have made the last entry, you will be returned to the screen with the soundcard which you previously highlighted. Now, press enter. You will now be able to test the soundcard with these new settings. (NOTE: This does not change your actual soundcard settings, you are only telling the game what settings your soundcard is using.)
7. When the sound test is finished, you will be returned to a new screen containing a window labeled "MIDI Driver Selection".
8. Follow the same steps as above to change the settings for the music portion of the game. (NOTE: When selecting a soundcard, be sure to choose SoundBlaster or Compatible if you have a compatible card.) Once you have completed the sound test for the MIDI driver, you will be returned to the SEAWOLF prompt. Type seawolf to start the game.