SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-20-09, 05:18 PM   #991
SquareSteelBar
Sea Lord

Downloads: 618
Uploads: 0

Your object's parent ID should be the node's ID.
SquareSteelBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-09, 09:26 PM   #992
thyro
Commander

Location: on a rock surrounded by water, that people call it UK
Downloads: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareSteelBar View Post
Your object's parent ID should be the node's ID.
Cheers SquareSteelBar

but I have a problem...

when I create a node then I add then "append new child chunk" and select "3D model type 1/101" the 3D object goes to root imediatly like it was "append new chunk".

Once the 3d object created the parent ID = N/A and I don't seem able to change it.

I'm using S3D v0.9.4

Since I could be trying this wrongly...is there a better way to add that 3D object under a node? Thanks

thyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-09, 03:09 AM   #993
SquareSteelBar
Sea Lord

Downloads: 618

Not the 3D object himself is appended to a parent ID but it's node...
SquareSteelBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-09, 01:18 PM   #994
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 114
Uploads: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by thyro View Post
Cheers SquareSteelBar

but I have a problem...

when I create a node then I add then "append new child chunk" and select "3D model type 1/101" the 3D object goes to root imediatly like it was "append new chunk".

Once the 3d object created the parent ID = N/A and I don't seem able to change it.

I'm using S3D v0.9.4

Since I could be trying this wrongly...is there a better way to add that 3D object under a node? Thanks
take the 3d object id number and ctrl-click in the model id blue number (control actually opens that window) then paste your model's id number and the model will move up to the node and be linked to it

keltos

keltos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-09, 01:40 PM   #995
thyro
Commander

Great!!!

many thanks Keltos and SquareSteelBar

now the process is clear, I wasn't moving the 3D object to the node. I assumed by adding a new child it shouldn't have done that automatically

It is now working

now is just matter to figure out how to make the dynamic shadows working

Old 03-21-09, 01:43 PM   #996
peabody
Admiral

Downloads: 126
Uploads: 7

@Thyro,

One thing not commented on, your 3D node # must be lower than the node that it is linked to. Otherwise it will not work. Notice in Keltos' picute the 3D model is Node 1608 and the node it is linked to is Node 1612.

Peabody

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-09, 07:22 PM   #997
skwasjer
The Old Man

Downloads: 26
Uploads: 3

Guys, I'm sorry, I'm too busy and can't help...
skwasjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-09, 03:10 AM   #998
thyro
Commander

@peabody

Thanks for the heads up

Does dynamic Shadows really work on SH4? I've also added a node+3D+control+DynamicShadow added a "black" material as shadow but no effects. (I have the main cfg with active shadows btw). Thanks

Last edited by thyro; 03-22-09 at 07:10 AM.
Old 03-23-09, 01:36 PM   #999
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

i need help

im looking at the shells.zon file and the entire tree is anonomous with nothing to show what anything is.

how will i know if im adjusting a 14" gun or a 3.5" gun

im sure this has been answered before somewhere but i didnt have time to read all 50+ pages of posts lol.

is there a plug in or something i forgot to add?
Old 03-23-09, 01:49 PM   #1000
peabody
Admiral

Downloads: 126
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEBSTER View Post
i need help

im looking at the shells.zon file and the entire tree is anonomous with nothing to show what anything is.

im sure this has been answered before somewhere but i didnt have time to read all 50+ pages of posts lol.

is there a plug in or something i forgot to add?
Go to shells .dat find the one you want to work on, copy the ID. Go to the .zon file and Edit/find and it will show you the zon file for that shell.

Quote:
If you want to work on a specific gun, you should check the shell it uses in the gun file. I did find one once that used the wrong shell (at least not the same size as the gun. something like a 5 inch gun using a 4 inch shell) but I don't remember which one it was.

Peabody

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-09, 02:37 PM   #1001
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peabody View Post
Go to shells .dat find the one you want to work on, copy the ID. Go to the .zon file and Edit/find and it will show you the zon file for that shell.

If you want to work on a specific gun, you should check the shell it uses in the gun file. I did find one once that used the wrong shell (at least not the same size as the gun. something like a 5 inch gun using a 4 inch shell) but I don't remember which one it was.

Peabody

is there a way to add a name to them so i dont have to keep going back to the dat? i know i can add a name but is it "safe" to change the label name? will it still work in the game with a different name?

i would rather spend time attatching names to them all so later it make life easier.

Last edited by Webster; 03-23-09 at 04:46 PM.
Old 03-23-09, 08:12 PM   #1002
skwasjer
The Old Man

You can attach a label chunk to a controller, the game won't mind generally speaking (unverified). Just remember that using a reserved name might cause issues (again unverified), and as chunks get reused often it's also more work to manage. That said, I still recommend you remove them from 'published' work because it's best to stay as close to original stock chunk-layout as possible, because it will only be more confusing in the long run (to others anyway).

I just use search function, to me it's faster than adding labels to all chunks.

Another tip is to reorder chunks in a zon or sim-file to match the DAT. Sometimes in stock this isn't the case.
Old 03-23-09, 08:54 PM   #1003
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

i want to be sure we are talking about the same thing so let me explain my plan.

in the shells.zon every node has the same name, they are all labeled "AmmoDamageInfo" and they only have different ID numbers to tell them appart.

what i wanted to do was take the name of the coresponding node in the dat and use it to be the new label name.

so in the zon file "2:node - AmmoDamageInfo" has the parent ID 0x765548d9c98196cc

and in the dat file "node 203: 30mm_HE_shell" has its parent ID 0x765548d9c98196cc

so if they share the same parent ID and that means zon "2:node" is for the "30mm HE Shell"

so what i wanted to do was take the zone files "2:node" and give it the exact name i copied fron the dat files "node 203:" and name it like this:

2:node - 30mm_HE_shell

and when i do that the 3:node (child node) automatically becomes

3: !30mm_HE_shell ! - AmmoDamageInfo

i thought it was best if i was going to name things in the zon, it would be best to name them exactly the same way as they were named in the dat file so the game would recognize it. i dont know if my thinking that is correct or not.

hopefully that makes clear my question.

so is this something ok to do or could it cause problems.
Old 03-23-09, 09:17 PM   #1004
skwasjer
The Old Man

Do not change the name of the controller... Perhaps it works, but I rather think it won't and suggest doing as indicated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skwasjer View Post
You can attach a label chunk to a controller
Old 03-23-09, 09:34 PM   #1005
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwasjer View Post
Do not change the name of the controller... Perhaps it works, but I rather think it won't and suggest doing as indicated.

ok, i will not change anything.

i'll just write it all down somewhere to use as a reference when i need it.