SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-22-08, 05:31 PM   #631
skwasjer
The Old Man

Downloads: 26
Uploads: 3

This will be the last release for a while unless something really cricital comes up. I am a bit tired after more than one year working on this, and now that the most important features are finally in, it's time to take a break for a month or more. Rest assured, this is not the final release, I am still aiming for v1.0 which should include a couple of other interesting features (model preview, zones editor, animations). For the next period, I will focus on some other stuff I'd like to do for this game, like the SH4HQ program which will become quite important with the PTO/ATO mods in the near future, some mod related stuff, some documentation and tutorials etc.

I hope the model import functionality will trigger a new modding mania the next months. I will surely follow all the progress you guys make! Have fun

Please uninstall any previous release before installing.

Version v0.8.2 - Download
New
  • Added UV map preview function to view embedded UV data for each map channel. Very usefull to verify if an import was done succesfully. You can customize the wire frame color under menu Tools > Settings, and the size of the map in the panel next to the UV preview window.
  • The UV map can also be saved as a PNG file. This file can then be used as an overlay in your favorite paint software, to aid in modifying textures (thanks ref for idea)
Changed
  • Removed the 'Export texture coordinates' and 'Export normals' option from the obj-export dialog. Both are now enabled by default. They are removed because there was no point in having them, the data should always be exported.
  • Removed the 'Import texture coordinates' option from the obj-import dialog. It is now enabled by default. It is removed because there was no point in having this option, the texture coordinates should always be imported.
Improved
  • Quite a few error checks on obj-imports and exports, and more meaningful error messages. There are also a couple of other minor improvements. Thanks to the subsim members for testing these functions and throwing all the errors they ran into at me
Fixed
  • Extended the time before the auto update check is performed after starting S3D from 1 sec. to 10 seconds. Also improved some of the error handling. I hope this solves the sometimes occuring crash when S3D is started.
  • S3D crashed when files were dropped on the shortcut or executable.
skwasjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-08, 07:26 PM   #632
cheese123
Gunner

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0

Hello, I hope somebody can help me, I dont quite understand how to import all three UV maps from one object to another without changing the actual 3D model using wings3D.

Last edited by cheese123; 04-22-08 at 08:16 PM.
cheese123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-08, 02:05 AM   #633
manitoba1073
Mate

Downloads: 2

couldnt you have made it easier to copy nodes :rotfl:

Well I went to add a new torp model and all but i get this error when trying to save the .dat file

and this is what my tree for it looked lik so far.

Im just playing around with it for now so its not like its important. just wondering though if you get a chance.

manitoba1073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-08, 03:13 AM   #634
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 114
Uploads: 18
Default mk35

I worked on new torps awhile ago and skwasjer told me the torpedo types were hardcoded (I had made new nodes with the mk 28,31 and 35 in the . dat and all the corresponding ids and stuff .sim .zon) in the game and while it is possible to transform existing types you can't add new types, at least the types appearing in the .sim are allways the same : hard coded list in sh4

mk 28 mk 31 mk 35 mod :
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=134942

mk28 mod :
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...ight=torpedoes

Last edited by keltos01; 04-23-08 at 03:31 AM.
keltos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-08, 03:38 AM   #635
manitoba1073
Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by keltos01
I worked on new torps awhile ago and skwasjer told me the torpedo types were hardcoded (I had made new nodes with the mk 28,31 and 35 in the . dat and all the corresponding ids and stuff .sim .zon) in the game and while it is possible to transform existing types you can't add new types, at least the types appearing in the .sim are allways the same : hard coded list in sh4

mk 28 mk 31 mk 35 mod :
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=134942

mk28 mod :
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...ight=torpedoes
I know that with the S3d and how they are hardcoded, but I have v1.4 and it has the slots availiable for the german torps that could be used as a replacement, but that wasnt where I had the problem. I went to save the .dat file and got that error. wondering if he had any idea why. like i said i was playing around with the new version of it lol.

Old 04-23-08, 05:33 AM   #636
skwasjer
The Old Man

Like Mikhayl says, the ordering of your nodes is wrong. But I'd like to correct him a bit.

First, you must have materials AND models. You can't have a node that uses materials or models 'behind it'.
So, material (+label), model, node, label, controllers and it's children, child nodes (and it's children).

The ordering is important, otherwise even if S3D doesn't crash, the game will. Please use the up/down buttons in the toolbar to correct the index of each chunk.

I'm not sure if this causes the crash but it's a place to start. I will take a look at it when I can, thanks for letting me know.
Old 04-23-08, 07:36 AM   #637
swdw
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 75

You're only allowed to take a break if you agree to actually play with some of the great mods your tool has allowed to come into existance or significantly improve.

It's time for you to take a break, and enjoy the fruits of your labors. The fruits are much more than S3D. You've allowed many things to take place in TMO, RFB, PE2, EE4, RSRD, OM, and the list goes on.

Modding took off like a bandit around the 0.5 release. So all of this stuff is actually a direct result of your work.

Thanks again!

"you wouldn't catch me on a ship that deliberately sinks itself"- comment to me from a surface sailor.

System:
AMD 6300 3.5 GHz | 32GB DDR3 | SATA 300 320GB HD, SATA III 1TB HD, SATA III 1.TB HD | ASUS Sonar DS sound card
NVIDIA 1660 Super OC | Windows 10
swdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-08, 11:02 AM   #638
skwasjer
The Old Man

I sure will
Old 04-23-08, 11:29 AM   #639
The Hornet
Watch

Downloads: 0

How do I import .png images of edited UV maps?
The Hornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-08, 01:52 PM   #640
skwasjer
The Old Man

Uhm, what do you mean? You want to import a modified UV-png back into S3D? This is not possible. The UV-map preview is only a visual presentation of the uv data, and so is the PNG.

The PNG is only useful as 'overlay' to modify the textures of the model in a 2D graphics program. To edit the actual uv data you need to export the model with the model-export function, edit the model/uvmap in 3D studio and then import it back in.
Old 04-23-08, 10:52 PM   #641
manitoba1073
Mate

Thats what I was figuring the problems was. I didnt find the move up and down button till way after I had exited and restarted lol.

Old 04-24-08, 09:00 AM   #642
DrBeast
The Old Man

Downloads: 36

Enjoy your well-earned and well-deserved break!

Let the Beast inside you free!
DrBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-08, 01:07 PM   #643
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 132

Hi skwasjer,

Just a feedback:

I used (for modding work) the new 0.82 for the last past 3 days and imported/exported 3d objects (in .obj), edited them on Wings3d, messed with textures and UVmap...made this at least more than 70 times for so many objects!! All working as intend. Congratulations mate!

Best regards,

Rubini.
Old 04-27-08, 05:59 PM   #644
skwasjer
The Old Man

Thanks for the feedback Rubini, it's good to hear everything works fine so far. Keep up the good work on your mods
Old 04-28-08, 04:08 PM   #645
clayp
The Old Man

Downloads: 340

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwasjer
I'm proud to announce S3D beta 0.8.2 is finally out.

Below the readme that you can also find in the download package (slightly altered for online reading purposes).

PLEASE READ IT!

The download link is all the way down at the bottom.

S3D - Silent 3ditor, skwas' Silent Hunter mod tool

Copyright © 2007 skwas. All rights reserved.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disclaimer: Use at your own risk. Distribution, commercial use and or (re)selling of this program are prohibited. Developed in 2007 by skwas, a game enthousiast and ubergeek )

Thank you for downloading S3D - Silent 3ditor (beta 0.8.2)
==========================================

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
-------------------------
  • Windows XP (32/64 bit), Windows Vista (32/64 bit)
  • Computer capable of running Silent Hunter
IMPORTANT! The installer included in this package does install NOT the required components listed below. Please use the links to download the components if you don't have them installed on your computer
  • Microsoft .NET 2.0

Vista users can skip this component (.NET 2 comes out of the box with Vista).
For 32-bit editions of Windows:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

For 64-bit editions of Windows:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Note to Vista users: this DirectX component can be (and must be) safely installed on Windows Vista!
INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS
-------------------------------
  1. Make sure you've got the required components installed on your computer.
    See SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS for details.
  2. Extract the .rar package to a location of your choice.
  3. Double click the S3D_xxxx.msi file to run the installer (where xxxx
    indicates version number).
  4. Follow the steps of the installer.
  5. After the installer has completed, run S3D through it's start menu shortcut: Start menu > skwas > Silent 3ditor (beta 0.7)
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
----------------------------------
  • Q: S3D crashes when I start it.
    A: Verify you have DirectX 9.0c with Managed Extensions installed.
    See: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
  • Q: Can I get the source code from S3D?
    A: No, not per se. S3D is largely based on corporate code, and hence I can't distribute the code as is. I will be happy to help (and if possible share fragments of code) if anyone requests so. In the future, I do plan to release full code, after I have revised it and removed private code.
  • Q: Can I use the binaries from S3D in my own applications?
    A: No. They are copyright protected for the time being.
  • >>>>>>>>>>>Q: Don't you have documentation or a help file with S3D?<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< <<<<<<<<<<<<
    >>>>>>>>>>A: Unfortunately no, only a little bit online help. I hope to get this sorted at some point <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
  • Q: S3D fails to load some SH3 files or some modded files.
    A: This may happen because:
    1. I have not implemented every controller unique to SH3 (iow. removed in SH4).
    2. The file is corrupt.
    3. The file is heavily changed with other tools, and does not follow rules that S3D expects. If you assume this is the case, please send me the file(s) in question and I will change S3D if possible/needed.
FEATURES
-----------

For a list of detailed improvements since previous versions, please read the
'changelog.html' file that comes with the rar-package, or view it online here. Below a compilation
of features:
  • DAT/SIM/ZON/VAL/CAM/DSD/ANM file support.
  • SDL file support
  • Rich GUI, which allows you to edit all the data that is known to me or anyone else (meaning, if you got info, share, so I can embed it). Not everything is built in yet, but I'm working on it.
  • Multiple files can be opened (it will open in a new window). This is to support copy/paste and drag&drop in the future.
  • Two types of views for chunks: List, Tree.
  • Options for editing id's, offsets in decimal/hex, rotations in radians/degrees, etc.
  • Import/export of tga's, dds's.
  • Import/export of a raw chunk. Can be used to move chunks over to other files.
  • Export of models to COLLADA format (v1.4.1).
  • Export/import of models with the OBJ-format (WaveFront).
  • Preview function for tga's and dds's.
  • Explorer style navigable links for id's. Click an id, if the id exists in the file, it will navigate to it.
  • Explorer style history of visited nodes. Back/forward buttons allow you to track back to previously selected nodes.
  • Rebuild the index chunk with all id's in the file.
  • List of all id's in the file (by selecting the index chunk). Id's and offsets can be copied to clipboard. Later, maybe even in all the game folders.
  • Support for placement chunk (cities/harbors)
  • Move chunk up/down in list. Only one chunk at a time.
  • Revert changes option (entire reload, not undo/redo)
  • Recent file list
  • Property editor for all object controllers/properties, with a full edit mode.
  • Remap function (cloning)
  • Global file search function (search for an id in any file)
  • Drag and drop support for opening files directly from Windows Explorer.
  • Undo/redo support to undo changes made to a file.
  • Partial cut/copy/paste support
  • Automatic check for updates
  • Find/Goto dialog to quickly find a node by text, id or index.
  • Add array items to arrays in property controller data.
  • Support for keyframe animations
  • Integrated analysis tool for analyzing unknown data using a hex editor.
  • Import of a DAT-file into another. Very useful to load a group of chunks, instead of exporting/importing each chunk seperately.
  • Ability to add known chunks, including all the controller property chunks.
  • Assign a new random id to a chunk.
  • UV map preview function, and export option. The exported UV map can be used as an overlay in your favorite paint software, to aid in modifying textures.
BUGS/SUPPORT/QUESTION/SUGGESTION
-------------------------------------------

Please report any problem or question in this thread. I wil do my best to help out.

To contact me directly, install S3D and get my email address from the aboutbox.

CREDITS
---------

Special thanks (in random order):

CaptainCox (logo/artwork), DivingDuck (file structure, 3D), leovampire (08-01-2008, R.I.P.)

More thanks to (feedback, suggestions, or for just being kind ):

Ubi, SH dev team, SubSim.com. Also, individuals: tater, Anvart, Bando, WEBSTER, maikarant, Jace11, WilhelmTell, lurbz, Sansal, longam, PepsiCan, UBOAT234, Digital_Trucker, DirtyHarry3033, Kaleun_Endrass, sergbuto, SquareSteelBar, sober, jaketoox, reallydedpoet, swdw, nautilus42, nvdrifter, kapitan_zur_see, DeepIron, panthercules, l3th4l, Laffertytig, alamwuhk2a, privateer, g_BonE, Ducimus, lurker_hlb3, haegemon, wildchild, urfisch, LukeFF, ref, kikn79, WernerSobe, Redwine, GuillermoZS, keltos01, Mikhayl, Kriller2, DrBeast, jimbob, Rubini, M. Sarsfield, miner1436, AVGWarhawk, reallydedpoet, Subject, and those who have been debugging the file formats long before me. If I have forgotten you, I apologize, please PM or mail me in that case. This list may (and will) grow, if you feel you need to be noted, be nice to me

3rd party components used:
C# HexBox free control - http://sourceforge.net/projects/hexbox/

FINAL NOTES
--------------

While S3D has now turned Beta, this doesn't mean it contains less bugs and/or is more stable that previous releases. I feel comfortable with the Beta signature because the tool is slowly but steadily maturing and the end of what I can and will do with it is in sight.

Having said that, I want to still point out that because of significant changes in the code, this Beta can still cause game files to be corrupted. If you run into issues please report them. My final word of advice is backup often, and test your mods well before releasing them to the public.

Have fun using S3D!!

skwas

Latest build 0.8.2 (uninstall ANY previous release before installing this one):

DOWNLOAD

Older releases (if any) can be downloaded at the same link...

If there isnt any help file or instructions what good is it??? I was tring to read all 40 pages of the post and was getting a headache and falling asleep.It took me 3 or 4 months to learn the mini-tweaker so I dont see much hope for this...I wanted to add more torpedos,dont think I will ever be able to do it.....

Last edited by clayp; 04-28-08 at 04:28 PM.
clayp is offline   Reply With Quote