SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-23-17, 05:35 PM   #5221
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Lutjens View Post
After I click through these it will then say Silent Hunter IV has stopped working.

The loading screen shows the bar loading, then after loaded it just stays there. So if i CTRL-ALT-DELETE and open task manager, the screen then goes black and opens these weird error messages.
admiral,

i second PB's and scurvy's advice about the install folder. do not use the game default. i, myself, installed to c:\ubisoft\sh4. mostly because i anticipated also playing sh5.

FOTRS is an excellent mod. play it stand-alone (without other mods applied after it).

have fun.

m

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-17, 04:37 AM   #5222
Admiral Lutjens
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 73
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Specifically, the most important point:

Change the install directory to something like "C:\ Ubisoft \ Silent Hunter... \"
How do I do that from Steam? I move the files and it doesn't work. Thank you..

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...=1#post2671928
Admiral Lutjens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-17, 10:57 AM   #5223
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Wow, this post keeps getting further and further back, and takes longer to find each time... Page 324:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...91#post2496891

You log into steam on your computer, and use the library to control where the game installs...

The quickie picture is

The "instructions" are in that page 324 post. You can see that Steam is still in Program Files (x86), but that SH3 is in F:\ Games \ Steam, as is my SH5 install. You would do similar for your SH4 using your account. My SH4 on that computer is a Gold Edition DVD and is much easier to move. Older versions of the Steam SH series of games could be moved, but the newer ones have a different "licensing" scheme on them, and have to be "managed" now... sheesh...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-17, 04:46 PM   #5224
rpembert
Watch

Downloads: 131
Default Torpedo Realism

Just a quick note and question. I have .63 running but the torpedoes are WAY to reliable. Now I do have Dud Torpedoes checked but I have not had one fail me yet! I am all the way up into late '42. My difficulty level is set to NORMAL. Do I need to change anything in game?

Thanks,
Joshua
Old 08-24-17, 08:03 PM   #5225
propbeanie

I can't think of a thing we changed between 62 & 63 that would create the reliability... If you were into 1944 by chance, OK, but you're not.. Did you go into the Game Play Settings from the Captain's Office before you went out on patrol? Click on that wooden radio console over to the left side of the room, and change the settings there, and see how they do... I had five out of six duds just the other day using the contact pistol... Very frustrating to watch a flat top go by you at 24 knots, at 740 yards, then speed up to 30+ when they see a torp, which I had been anticipating that, and shot one shot dead center and the next five out front, only to have just the one torpedo go off, and the CV not even slow down... The DD screen sure did though, and half of them then sat on top of me for a good little while - for over an hour, doing damage just about everytime they passed over me. By the time they left, I barely got back to the surface, and had to call it quits for that patrol... Better than the one a few weeks before that, where they got me on the 2nd pass though...

Old 08-25-17, 05:35 AM   #5226
Admiral Lutjens
Machinist's Mate

Quote:
Yeah, Pearl at 8096 is definitely not advised...

When you activate TMO in SH4, it overwrites some, but not all of the game. Some of the stuff "sticks", some of it doesn't. But you'll not notice issues too much with it if MS rolls back part of the mod, except in a few select areas. FotRS Ultimate overwrites quite a bit of the game, and has more "incompatible" portions in what it does than TMO does, so you'll definitely notice problems if MS rolls a portion of it back. It doesn't seem to have issues with dds & jpg files, but cfg files will almost always get rolled back.

Since you can't get TMO to load, I'd say that your install is in a "mod soup" state, of the undesired kind. Copy the mods in your MODS folder somewhere for safekeeping, and get rid of your My Documents / SH4 folder contents. Log into Steam on your computer and uninstall SH4 from where you have it. Refer to
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...21#post2297821

where dodoubla mentions using the Steam Settings to install into something like "C:\ Games \ Steam \ Silent Hunter..." or something memorable to you, without too long of a naming structure. I forget what the character limit for some of the older apps is, but I've hit it before... You get the game out of that Windows File Protection Program (twist on the words there), and life should get a little easier for modding. You'll probably also find a few more things about TMO to like...

Here's a "shot" of my Steam App on my computer:

You first hit the "Steam" (1) menu upper left, then choose the "Settings" (2 is what that displays) from it. You can also get there through the "View" menu - which to me, that's not confusing at all... Once there, select the "Downloads" (3), which re-populates the window on the right for you to click on "Steam Library Folders" (4), which then gives you the little box below, by (5) to "Add Library Folder". I did "Games \ Steam" for mine, but it will still add in the whole "steamapps \ common \ GameName" structure when you install something, so just using one folder should take you deep enough from the "root" of the drive... Hopefully, someone will chime in with a shorter, more concise technique...

btw, I had to call in my "expert consultant" on this, my seventeen year old son - 'cause I couldn't remember how I did it before...
New drive, fresh and clean install into that drive. Game worked stock, but doing the same thing as before. Sticks at loading screen, then when I open task manager, the error messages pop up again and after I enter through them all the game CTDs. Ughhhhh

Old 08-25-17, 07:10 AM   #5227
propbeanie

You're modding your Steam v1.5 install correct? and not the v1.3? Or how does Steam do those installs? Even if you're on a different drive, did you change the folder structure so that there is NOT a "Program Files" folder name involved? Microsoft will "protect" any folder is deems is a system folder, including an "H:\ Program Files \" folder, and prevent mods from retaining the changes, especially the cfg files (found that out for myself in Vista 64 a few years ago)... Also - did you get rid of the "My Documents \ SH4" folder? That's your old Save folder and it ~will~ contaminate a fresh install. The only way to avoid that is to use MultiSH4 for different installs...

Old 08-25-17, 07:45 AM   #5228
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

It''s........THE MICROSOFT BULLDOGS!!!
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-17, 08:33 AM   #5229
rpembert
Watch

Downloads: 131

Quote:
I can't think of a thing we changed between 62 & 63 that would create the reliability... If you were into 1944 by chance, OK, but you're not.. Did you go into the Game Play Settings from the Captain's Office before you went out on patrol? Click on that wooden radio console over to the left side of the room, and change the settings there, and see how they do... I had five out of six duds just the other day using the contact pistol... Very frustrating to watch a flat top go by you at 24 knots, at 740 yards, then speed up to 30+ when they see a torp, which I had been anticipating that, and shot one shot dead center and the next five out front, only to have just the one torpedo go off, and the CV not even slow down... The DD screen sure did though, and half of them then sat on top of me for a good little while - for over an hour, doing damage just about everytime they passed over me. By the time they left, I barely got back to the surface, and had to call it quits for that patrol... Better than the one a few weeks before that, where they got me on the 2nd pass though...

I go through the Captains "radio" and adjust all my settings from there and Duds are selected. I just thought I would have a lot more problems out of the torps. I am using SHIV 1.5 by the way.
Old 08-25-17, 10:25 AM   #5230
Admiral Lutjens
Machinist's Mate

Quote:
You're modding your Steam v1.5 install correct? and not the v1.3? Or how does Steam do those installs? Even if you're on a different drive, did you change the folder structure so that there is NOT a "Program Files" folder name involved? Microsoft will "protect" any folder is deems is a system folder, including an "H:\ Program Files \" folder, and prevent mods from retaining the changes, especially the cfg files (found that out for myself in Vista 64 a few years ago)... Also - did you get rid of the "My Documents \ SH4" folder? That's your old Save folder and it ~will~ contaminate a fresh install. The only way to avoid that is to use MultiSH4 for different installs...
My install on C: would go to program filesX86 > steam > steamapps > common > SH4 and it wouldn't let me create another folder for the DL to go to so I created another drive, but that was completely deleted.

Now it's E: > steam > steamapps > common > SH4

Same result....stopping at loading screen and will crash to desktop after I open task manager and click through the error messages.

I have JSGME starting in my SH4 folder, would that be an issue? Something isn't adding up somewhere. I'm sure that together we can resolve this..I thank you all so much for your hard work, advice, and patience...I love this game so much and am recently getting back into it.

Old 08-25-17, 12:09 PM   #5231
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpembert View Post
I go through the Captains "radio" and adjust all my settings from there and Duds are selected. I just thought I would have a lot more problems out of the torps. I am using SHIV 1.5 by the way.
Someone the other day mentioned not having many duds also, so we're already looking into it... Do you have any other mods installed? What boat are driving around the ocean in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Lutjens View Post
My install on C: would go to program filesX86 > steam > steamapps > common > SH4 and it wouldn't let me create another folder for the DL to go to so I created another drive, but that was completely deleted.

Now it's E: > steam > steamapps > common > SH4

Same result....stopping at loading screen and will crash to desktop after I open task manager and click through the error messages.

I have JSGME starting in my SH4 folder, would that be an issue? Something isn't adding up somewhere. I'm sure that together we can resolve this..I thank you all so much for your hard work, advice, and patience...I love this game so much and am recently getting back into it.
JSGME is much easier to work with when it is in the same folder as the game, so no issue there. Steam should have let you create a new folder, so that's not cool that it wouldn't. Surely they haven't changed something else now in their process... I'd better go check out my SH3 & SH5 installs, and see if they still run. The E:\ Steam \ structure should be fine, and not getting interfered with. The only question that still remains is: Which version of Silent Hunter do you have from Steam? Wolves of the Pacific v1.3, or the UBoat Missions v1.5? After the game loads, if there's a choice for a German career on the menu, or if on the Single Mission menu you have a choice to "Switch Sides", then you've got the correct one. The Stock load screen in v1.5 is

there'll be the Silent Hunter logo on top of this, of course, and the loading indicator

v1.3 looks like this:

Old 08-25-17, 03:13 PM   #5232
Admiral Lutjens
Machinist's Mate

Quote:
JSGME is much easier to work with when it is in the same folder as the game, so no issue there. Steam should have let you create a new folder, so that's not cool that it wouldn't. Surely they haven't changed something else now in their process... I'd better go check out my SH3 & SH5 installs, and see if they still run. The E:\ Steam \ structure should be fine, and not getting interfered with. The only question that still remains is: Which version of Silent Hunter do you have from Steam? Wolves of the Pacific v1.3, or the UBoat Missions v1.5? After the game loads, if there's a choice for a German career on the menu, or if on the Single Mission menu you have a choice to "Switch Sides", then you've got the correct one. The Stock load screen in v1.5 is

there'll be the Silent Hunter logo on top of this, of course, and the loading indicator

v1.3 looks like this:
Oh ok, this may be the issue. I only DLd Wolves of the Pacific and NOT U boat missions, so I have the second screen.

Old 08-25-17, 05:58 PM   #5233
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Admiral, your stock game "Version" can be found in the lower right hand corner of the games "Main Menu" page:

Steam sells you the 1.3 version (those guys could have at least sold the v1.4...a much better version than 1.3.....but Nooooooo!), with the expectation of getting you to buy the last patched version....v1.5, that also has the U-Boat Missions!!

You apparently have v1.3 installed?? Fotrs Ultimate won't run on a 1.3 version of the game

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-17, 06:57 PM   #5234
propbeanie

Right now Admiral, it is $10US on Steam, but they should be having another sale sometime soon and taking it to $5... I don't think they do a Labor Day Sale, but there should be something coming up in a few weeks, if memory serves... In the meantime, you can get the whole game on like Amazon for $20 US. Follow the link from the SubSim Store here, and SubSim will get a commission on the sale.

Old 08-25-17, 09:24 PM   #5235
Admiral Lutjens
Machinist's Mate

It works! It works it works it works!!!

Thank y'all s much for the help. I'm not really an Admiral, I'm just a Petty Officer Second Class in real life by the way haha!