SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-07-08, 07:57 PM   #1
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

Node in dat - i was probably thinking of sounds sources. Such as water or steam pipes. I only looked at this stuff in passing, so im probably way off base. Edit: Its worth noting that stock fleet boat interior files have no sounds to them at all. SteveTRM added them in. I dont remember if he use an aud_node or not. anyway, ill shut up. Now im curious as to what else is in some of those dsd files. (not that i havent looked already) Think i figured out why my earlier attempts at getting band music on the docks failed.
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-08, 08:54 PM   #2
skwasjer
The Old Man

Downloads: 26
Uploads: 3

LukeFF, it's possible. Go to the properties of the wpn_Cannon controller in the sim file. Open up the Fire-node, and there you see a property 'effect'. It has an id. Select 'effect', and copy the value to the clipboard (in hex format!). Now, open up the particles.dat, and do CTRL+F, and paste the id into the textbox and hit Find. You'll see that the node will be selected either $MGun_muzzle_flash or $Big_muzzle_flash, or some others, depending on the gun. These are shared muzzle flashes by all (most?) guns. In the particles.dsd you will find the associated muzzle sound. To make a unique sound for a different weapon you have to clone a few nodes in both particles.dat and .dsd (to create a new effect+sound), a sound entry to the sdl-file (which defines the actual soundfile to be played), and lastly assign the newly created effect id to the weapon.

Hope this makes a bit sense Just try

[edit] I'm not sure if there are tricks to do this easier (without cloning nodes), maybe someone else knows.

Last edited by skwasjer; 03-07-08 at 09:14 PM.
skwasjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-08, 09:34 PM   #3
LukeFF
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 5

I'll give that a try, skwas. Thanks!

ROW Sound Effects Contributor
RFB Team Leader
LukeFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-08, 09:43 PM   #4
skwasjer
The Old Man

Downloads: 26
Uploads: 3

Oh, and one trick to make cloning of a bunch of nodes easier (you need to redo all the id's!) is to remove all the other chunks from the file so you only are left with the chunks that need to be cloned. Then, use the remap function to assign new id's to all nodes in one go. Then export and import.

Saves the trouble of fixing up the nodes after import and manually changing all the id's.
skwasjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-08, 09:48 PM   #5
AkbarGulag
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwasjer
Oh, and one trick to make cloning of a bunch of nodes easier (you need to redo all the id's!) is to remove all the other chunks from the file so you only are left with the chunks that need to be cloned. Then, use the remap function to assign new id's to all nodes in one go. Then export and import.

Saves the trouble of fixing up the nodes after import and manually changing all the id's.
I was going to export the nodes, then re-import them in a new file... then re-export with fresh ID's to be imported :rotfl:

Thanks for the tip Squash.

...It was at this point, Captain AkbarGulag realised how green his crew was..."
AkbarGulag is offline   Reply With Quote