SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-30-07, 10:28 AM   #76
cdrake66
Seaman

Downloads: 56
Uploads: 0

I don't have the full on Photoshop. I meant to say that I have opened the file in Photoshop Elements.
cdrake66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-07, 10:33 AM   #77
CaptainCox
Sea Lord

Downloads: 4

Oh oh...never used that man...basically you see only white because the actual "360" tool is in the Alpha Channel, and i don't know if you can see the channels in "Elements" look if you have a window called "Channels" or...you could also simply try to re-size the image and save it using the DDS plug in in 4:4:4:4 ARGB (16bit) format. and put the saved file in the MODS folder and see if you see any difference.
Old 03-30-07, 11:09 AM   #78
BBury
Torpedoman

Downloads: 7

Captaincox, I was looking at the Imperial version and it is off 0.5 degrees in PhotoShop. It needs to be rotated 0.5 CCW. I don't know if this will effet the Nav map view since mine was good in that view and only off in the Target Map view. I'll do some more experimenting.
BBury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-07, 11:30 AM   #79
CaptainCox
Sea Lord

Cheers man!
Old 03-30-07, 05:10 PM   #80
cdrake66
Seaman

Downloads: 56

I got it! lol

I never managed to edit the .dds files directly but I found a little freeware program (DDS Converter v2.1) that allowed me to convert them to targa format. Then I was able to resize each .dds file to the proper scale for my widescreen systems with Paint Shop Pro. Then back to the DDS Converter to convert from targa back to .dds. It worked like a charm.

The modified files can be downloaded here http://files.filefront.com/7082677

CaptainCox, if you want to incorporate these files with your download, please feel free to do so. I wouldn't have been able to do this without your help. I checked the Imperial bearing mod and it has the same scale problem as the metric. I will rescale that for widescreen and post it as well.

Regards,
Chris
cdrake66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-07, 06:44 PM   #81
Jeffg
Exec

Downloads: 1491

I just installed the imperial version and I am getting the big black square also in the attack map,has the file been fixed?
Jeff
Jeffg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-07, 07:01 PM   #82
Jeffg
Exec

Downloads: 1491

Just a follow up I reinstalled with Generic Mod Enabler Application and when I went into the attack map it was just like before I installed the map.I than zoomed in and at 400 m became the black square.
Jeff
Jeffg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-07, 08:43 PM   #83
dlpayer
Swabbie

Downloads: 207

I installed the imperial version with the Mod Enabler and also get the big black square when zoomed in.
dlpayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-07, 09:23 PM   #84
OneTinSoldier
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 46

I'm pretty certain I know why people are getting the Big Black Square!

The Imperial Bearing Tool was working fine for me when I was using an ATI X800 XT video card. I recently upgraded to an X1950 Pro AGP card, and then I got the big black square.

So, I decided to have a look at the compression type that the .dds(DirectDraw Surface) files were saved with. DDS files support various types(or levels if you prefer) of DXT compression. I opened up one of the files with DXTBmp, which shows up at the top the type of DXT compression the file is saved with. The Bearing Overlay Tool is saved using an old type DXT of compression, DXT 444-4 16-bit, so I suppose it makes sense that an older video card doesn't have a problem with that.

Stock SH4 has it files saved using the DXT5 type of compression...

Much newer and better than the old 16-bit compression types, and I imagine it's a 32-bit type of compression.

CaptainCox, what are you using to do your work? Photoshop with the Nvidia plugin? Whatever it is you probably get a choice of compression type to save the files in. I know the Nvidia plugin for Photoshop has it. If not, Martin Wright's DXTBmp(just search Google) will allow you to do so. There are probably other utilites that have that capability as well. Could you please save these in DXT5 compression an re-upload? I don't know if it would make any difference, but you might want convert into .dds and save with DXT5 compression using the original .tga file(or whatever file type it was) you worked on.

I am about to convert the current DXT 444-4 16-bit files I have from your download into the DTX5 compression type and see what happens, but if I were a betting man I would bet that will fix my black box problem.

EDIT - I just had another look at the files(I haven't converted them to DXT5 yet), and I just noticed that the filesize for the one for the Balao is quite a bit smaller then all the others, 8.63 MB's instead of 34.5 MB's. Unless I'm mistaken, it appears that it's comprised of 1843x1843 pixels, whereas the ones for all the other subs are comprised of 3685x3685 pixels. Is there some reason for the special pixel resolution for the Balao?

Cheers
"Variable this is EasyRhino, do you copy? Over." Loud and clear EasyRhino. "Do we have a gig? Over." That's a Roger, we have a gig. Target is painted, start the music. "Roger that Variable. Into attack. Pickling target. Target is acquired and lit. LGB comin' down!" EasyRhino, circular error probability zero. Impact with High Order Detonation. Thank You, have a nice day.

Last edited by OneTinSoldier; 03-30-07 at 09:35 PM.
OneTinSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-07, 10:56 PM   #85
NonWonderDog
Seaman

Downloads: 1

Ahh... that might explain the scale issues. It would certainly explain why nothing I have can open the dds files without crashing.
NonWonderDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-07, 11:10 PM   #86
OneTinSoldier
Sonar Guy

Well, I would have lost that bet. I converted it using DXTBmp and instead of a big black box, I got a big speckled black box(mostly speckled, very little black). I tried opening the DXT 444-4 16-bit type file in Photoshop and I get an error message...

"Could not complete your request because of a problem with the file format module interface."

I have the DDS plugin installed for Photoshop and I have used it to convert some SH3 mods that were in .tga format into DDS DXT5 format for SH4, see here...

RetroNavMapTools - Jiims NavMapTools - Aces Colored Menu Bar (Combined)

So I know Photoshop normally works with the DDS plugin. If I'd have had the original .tga file to convert from I 'think' it would have worked. Photoshop with the plugin is choking on this DXT 444-4 16-bit type file tho, that's for sure.

EDIT - I have another idea. If it works out I'll be back!
"Variable this is EasyRhino, do you copy? Over." Loud and clear EasyRhino. "Do we have a gig? Over." That's a Roger, we have a gig. Target is painted, start the music. "Roger that Variable. Into attack. Pickling target. Target is acquired and lit. LGB comin' down!" EasyRhino, circular error probability zero. Impact with High Order Detonation. Thank You, have a nice day.
Old 03-30-07, 11:36 PM   #87
OneTinSoldier
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonWonderDog
Ahh... that might explain the scale issues. It would certainly explain why nothing I have can open the dds files without crashing.
Just to let you know(for giggles), DXTBmp can open all the DXT crap, lol. Here's the compression types DXTBmp works with...

ACE DXT1 Texture

Extended Bitmap Types:
256 color
DXT1
DXT3
DXT5
32-bit 888-8
16-bit 444-4
16-bit 555-1
16-bit 565

DDS Types:
256 color
DXT1
DXT3
DXT5
32-bit 888-8
24-bit 888
16-bit 444-4
16-bit 555-1
16-bit 565
15-bit 555

You can use it to open a Targa(.tga) file and convert it into one of those formats, although I usually use Photoshop with the Nvidia plugin.

Cheers
Old 03-31-07, 12:10 AM   #88
CaptainCox
Sea Lord

Morning guys...just woke up here (7:00am)
Tried with the DXT5 ARGB (Interpolated Alpha)
Can some of you guys with the black square syndrome try this out please
Link:http://files.filefront.com/360_degree_bearing_plotte1rar/;7085280;/fileinfo.html
Its the metric version, if this works I will also convert the Imperial

And if this works a big thanks to OneTinSoldier!!!!

I will also look in to the Balao if this works...like I said just woke up so all is a bit slow at the moment :p

And yes, I use PS CS3 and the NV DDS Plug-in
Old 03-31-07, 12:12 AM   #89
OneTinSoldier
Sonar Guy

Well, what I've tried to do now is...

1) Used DXTBmp to convert the image into a Targa(.tga) file

2) Open the file up in Photoshop and use the Nvidia plugin to try and save it in DDS DXT5 type format.

But I get an error, "Image width and height must be multiple of four." It looks that at 3685x3685 it's a multiple of five, not four. There's a number of different settings in the Nvidia DDS plugin and I've tried playing around with quite a few of them but I haven't gotten around the problem.

This image file is one strange bird. I need a real image manipulation expert to explain what's going on with it! Hehe.
Old 03-31-07, 12:20 AM   #90
CaptainCox
Sea Lord

I had that to when I was doing this some week ago...can't remember now how I did it. Basically just opened the .TGA from the SH3 360 bearing tool, dragged that over (Alpha Channel) to the already opened SH4 "NSS_Balao_shp" or what ever, re sized it to fit the "360 tool" and that was it. Saved all as 4:4:4:4 and it worked. But it seems that DXT5 ARGB (Interpolated Alpha) also works, so if it works for you guys that's it !!!!
Again the Link is
http://files.filefront.com/360_degre.../fileinfo.html