SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-10, 04:31 AM   #286
harryt8
Bosun

Downloads: 52
Uploads: 0
MaGui Documentation

I try and keep all my mod documentation available for reference.

Can you tell me where I can find the Notepad.txt and pics for "Straight Shot" please?

I must have deleted it somewhere. I've got the text, no pictures 1,2, and 3.

Thanks.
Old 11-09-10, 09:59 AM   #287
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 303

I don't know if this is already explained in the threads and documentation of this mod (too much to read ) but I just wrote (in this message) a procedure how to measure range and AOB using the lower zoom levels. It's basically the same procedure I wrote for the early versions of the OLC Gui, but rewritten for clarity.

Makman!! You might want to read it. Your wheel could use a more pronounced scratch mark at 23.6 degree AOB for the 6x zoom level.
Old 11-09-10, 10:02 AM   #288
makman94
Hellas

Downloads: 182
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryt8 View Post
I try and keep all my mod documentation available for reference.

Can you tell me where I can find the Notepad.txt and pics for "Straight Shot" please?

I must have deleted it somewhere. I've got the text, no pictures 1,2, and 3.

Thanks.
hi Harryt8,

there are all in the MaGui's .rar in the folder named ''Tutorials-The ''broken'' TDC Attack Methods''

redownload it and you will get the pics

bye

Mediafire page:http://www.mediafire.com/folder/da50.../Makman94_Mods
Old 11-09-10, 10:15 AM   #289
Gerald
SUBSIM Newsman

Downloads: 548

Hi Mate! What have version 3.1 gone,

Quote:
Originally Posted by makman94 View Post
hi Harryt8,

there are all in the MaGui's .rar in the folder named ''Tutorials-The ''broken'' TDC Attack Methods''

redownload it and you will get the pics

bye

Marie Curie

Old 11-09-10, 10:16 AM   #290
makman94
Hellas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces View Post

Makman!! You might want to read it. Your wheel could use a more pronounced scratch mark at 23.6 degree AOB for the 6x zoom level....
yes, i know Pisces but didn't put this scratch on wheels to avoid confusing (and explainations) the players . i said ,though,at Manos Optics texts that you can use the aob wheel (at attack scope) if you are at x6 zoom by using the factor ''2,5'' at your measurments

but....you can always switch to observation periscope when target is closer .there the aob rings are setted to work at the x6 zoom

Old 11-09-10, 10:21 AM   #291
makman94
Hellas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendor View Post
sorry ? what is the question?

Old 11-09-10, 10:35 AM   #292
Gerald
SUBSIM Newsman

What is the version. 3.1 of the MAGui can not find it

Quote:
sorry ? what is the question?
and its best fit with other things,

Marie Curie

Old 11-09-10, 10:43 AM   #293
makman94
Hellas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendor View Post
and its best fit with other things,
again Vendor ....i can't understand ....

if you are looking for version 3.1....it is just history and i don't have it.
i don't keep back ups for very older versions (only the previous one for working safety reasons)

Old 11-09-10, 10:51 AM   #294
Gerald
SUBSIM Newsman

I understand, it was good and served its purpose well, among my other mods

Quote:
if you are looking for version 3.1....it is just history and i don't have it.
i don't keep back ups for very older versions (only the previous one for working safety reasons)
thanks, for your job

Marie Curie

Old 11-09-10, 12:20 PM   #295
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Quote:
yes, i know Pisces but didn't put this scratch on wheels to avoid confusing (and explainations) the players . i said ,though,at Manos Optics texts that you can use the aob wheel (at attack scope) if you are at x6 zoom by using the factor ''2,5'' at your measurments

but....you can always switch to observation periscope when target is closer .there the aob rings are setted to work at the x6 zoom
Ok, makes sense.
Old 11-09-10, 12:25 PM   #296
sabretwo
Frogman

Downloads: 69

Makman,

I am a little confused about your "manual/auto" button. If I enter a firing solution into the TDC using the AOB Finder (as I would previously in OLC Gold), do I enter it with the button set to manual or auto and do I change it after entering the firing solution to "lock" it in?

In OLC, procedure was to close the TDC panel after entering the firing solution and thus it would automatically update the firing solution while tracking the target.

Is this the same with your "manual/auto" button, or is there some other button I haven't found for locking the solution once entered?
Thanks in advance.

BTW...I LOVE the widescreen version of your mod! That was what ultimately got me to switch from OLC. Really great work!

Also...I have found a number of miscellaneous tutorials spread around in different threads and in the tutorial folder in the MaGUI RAR. I am integrating them into one document for my own use as a consolidated guide in how to use your interface and attack methods. When I'm done, I was going to PDF it for quick and easy access. If you want me to send you a copy that you can include in future versions of MaGUI as a user manual, let me know. It would probably save new users a lot of time and headache trying to find all of these various tutorials and instructions throughout the threads and download folders.
Old 11-09-10, 11:31 PM   #297
makman94
Hellas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces View Post
Ok, makes sense.
at the final version i have also use the x1,5 / x6 / x12 zooms for attack scope (as allready is done at the widescreen version) so the factor when player is at x6 zoom of attack scope is now ''2'' .by this factor the calculations are 'one second' job in your mind before puting them on rings.

i hate to have a digital calculator beside my pc when playing the sh3 thats why i made this change
ps: yes ,at my personal setup the rings have this scratch that you mentioned....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabretwo View Post
Makman,

I am a little confused about your "manual/auto" button. If I enter a firing solution into the TDC using the AOB Finder (as I would previously in OLC Gold), do I enter it with the button set to manual or auto and do I change it after entering the firing solution to "lock" it in?

In OLC, procedure was to close the TDC panel after entering the firing solution and thus it would automatically update the firing solution while tracking the target.

Is this the same with your "manual/auto" button, or is there some other button I haven't found for locking the solution once entered?
Thanks in advance.
the color of tdc's button is showing you the mode of tdc :

green light = tdc on auto update mode (at Olc's gui the tdc is NOT showing at this mode)

red light = tdc on manual input mode

you can enter data into the tdc ONLY at manual mode (red light) and always the scope must be UNLOCKED when tdc is at this mode.

when tdc's light is green the tdc is updating and you can have (if you like) your scope locked on target at this mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabretwo
BTW...I LOVE the widescreen version of your mod! That was what ultimately got me to switch from OLC. Really great work!

Also...I have found a number of miscellaneous tutorials spread around in different threads and in the tutorial folder in the MaGUI RAR. I am integrating them into one document for my own use as a consolidated guide in how to use your interface and attack methods. When I'm done, I was going to PDF it for quick and easy access. If you want me to send you a copy that you can include in future versions of MaGUI as a user manual, let me know. It would probably save new users a lot of time and headache trying to find all of these various tutorials and instructions throughout the threads and download folders.
have in mind that the zooms for attack peri in widescreen version are x1,5 / x6 and x12 (and not x15 as it is at normal version). this is done so in order the player to use the factor of 2 (instead of 2,5) when is taking measurments at x6 zoom of attack scope--read the readme for optics. i made this change becuase it is very easy to do the calculations with your mind by using the factor ''2'' .
your pdf manual will be very wellcome and i am going to include it in the documents of final version of MaGui.
just make sure that you will describe the situation with the x1,5/x6/x12 zooms at attack scope (for that reason use the widescreen version of MaGui and not the normal one) becuase the final version of MaGui ALSO USE THE x1,5 / x6 / x12 zooms for the attack scope (the x15 zoom is...history by now)

ps: the final version is 100% completed so expect a release in the next few days

bye

Last edited by makman94; 11-09-10 at 11:53 PM.
Old 11-10-10, 12:35 PM   #298
sabretwo
Frogman

Downloads: 69

Makman,
Thanks for explaining the auto/manual toggle.

One more question while we're at it...

I viewed the video tutorials and am unsure how you derrived the target's speed using the AOB wheel. The video I was watching was "fining attack data-part 4.wmv". (There was no audio on the videos I viewed so I was trying to figure it out by watching your mouse cursor and actions). Like with OLC, you clocked the target vessel passing the center crosshair, then pulled down the AOB Finder, aligned the clocked speed from the outside of the wheel opposite the length of the vessel on the outer ring, but then ...??? In OLC Gold, I would now derrive the speed from the scale inside of the AOB wheel opposite the hash mark on the inner ring.

How did you arrive at 7 knots?

Is this by viewing the number on the wheel opposite 90 on the ring (which in the tutorial is 20.5 or so) and then finding 20.5 on the inner ring and viewing the number opposite on the inside of the AOB wheel? (The number on the AOB wheel opposite 20.5 was 7). Is this correct?

Sorry if these questions have been answered elsewhere. I have been combing through the MaGUI threads at length trying to figure all of this out. Unfortunately, most of the written tutorials start by assuming that you have already found the target's speed.
Old 11-11-10, 12:39 PM   #299
makman94
Hellas

Quote:

Is this by viewing the number on the wheel opposite 90 on the ring (which in the tutorial is 20.5 or so) and then finding 20.5 on the inner ring and viewing the number opposite on the inside of the AOB wheel? (The number on the AOB wheel opposite 20.5 was 7). Is this correct?
no ,it is not correct Sabretwo. look at the seventh pic of first post .there you see the rings adjusted to work on x15 zoom level . do you see where is the 'scratch' that is showing you the speed ?

at video , you can see the same rings (x15 set) but the scratch had at this old version an orange color and becuase of video's quality is hard to see but it is there.

Old 11-11-10, 06:23 PM   #300
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Quote:

See Makman64's image in his first post, like he said.

Just look at the S-mark (for speed obviously). If you look at the outer rings in Makman64's image in the first message, you see for example 100 is aligned with 100. That means 100 meters in 100 seconds, or 1 meter per second. Then you look down to the S, and see 1.94 opposite from it. That means 1.94 knots.

How was that derived? Pure mathematical magic! Makman64 no doubt used different numbers in the formula (because of a different max zoom level) but it is basically the same form as in the link below. Here is the post how I calculated the S mark for one of the first OLC-Gui versions. Just to give you an idea how.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...&postcount=252

Last edited by Pisces; 11-11-10 at 06:36 PM.
Closed Thread