SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-26-15, 06:25 PM   #16
ColonelSandersLite
Captain

Downloads: 74
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoflCopter4 View Post
Is there any data on how long it would normally take? Should it simply be a matter of multiplying engine performance by time to see how long it would take to generate x number of joules for the batteries?
The answer to that question is found in Subnuts link above:
"As it is necessary to furnish approximately 1200 HP for 4 hours to the generators for charging each of the two batteries at the normal charging rate"

It is noteworthy that the captured submarine could only make 850 hp snorkeling, so charge time would be substantially more. It's not a simple 41% longer either, as a higher proportion of the generated power would be going towards propulsion at whatever speed they where recharging at. At a guess, recharge while snorkeling probably took in the vicinity of 7-8 hours or so. I'm sure it could have been fixed if Germany had more time, but they didn't.

But yes, if it's taking two days, that would be a bug as described by torpex. Someone might have worked around it, I dunno. I would do some searching on operation monsun oriented mods (which I'm almost totally unfamiliar with).

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoflCopter4 View Post
firstly at what point in the war did allied radar have the ability to see a snorkel from the air? And secondly, didn't the snorkel have a radar detector on it? Wouldn't that give away any aircraft that spotted it?
We had centimetric radar on aircraft before the germans even started snorkeling.
DMS-1000 (10cm radar, forward looking only) was operational on liberators in march of 1942.
AN/APS-2 (10cm radar) was operational on american aircraft from feb 1943
AN/APS-15 (3cm radar) was operational on american aircraft from nov 1943

I don't have exact timeframes for the british, but I'm sure it's similar.

From Uboat.net:
The first boat to be fitted with the Schnorchel was U-58 which experimented with the equipment in the Baltic during the summer of 1943 but operational boats didn't start to use it until early 1944 and even as late as June 1944 only about half of the boats stationed in the French bases had Schnorchels fitted.

The only german radar detector that I can remember seeing references to being snorkel mounted naxos. Range wasn't good, less than the range of the radar it was detecting. It was *very* rare as well. I don't think I have ever actually seen a picture of it in operational use. Further, it probably would have been useless vs AN/APS-15, though still could have helped with detecting the older AN/APS-2 when encountered.

A good portion of the problem is that the germans didn't trust their radar warning receivers at all. This stems from a british POW that convinced them that we where homing in on metox signals in august 43. This offered a believable lie to the germans, since we where detecting them with AN/APS-2 that the germans couldn't detect. From their point of view, attacks where just coming out of nowhere and this finally explained why. From that point on, the germans where completely paranoid about their receivers. Later designs reduced emissions, which reduced detection ranges and the captains still didn't trust them so they where often just not used, even when equipped.

A good solid read on the detection/countermeasure war between germany and the western allies can be found here:
http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USN/...51/ASW-14.html

Last edited by ColonelSandersLite; 09-26-15 at 06:49 PM.
ColonelSandersLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-15, 06:35 PM   #17
ColonelSandersLite
Captain

Downloads: 74
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpX View Post
I didn't say snorkeling would make the boat blind, only deaf. If they were using it at night, they would be blind, as well. Not entirely blind, but not able to see aircraft in time.
Robins did, not you.

Since this thread died, I had done some more research on it and somehwere I found some german general orders on the use of snorkels. The order was to recharge at the start and end of every night. I'll see if I can't find the link again soon.
Old 03-23-16, 03:10 PM   #18
nionios
Sparky

Downloads: 84
Uploads: 0
Default To use Metox or not to use

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelSandersLite View Post
We had centimetric radar on aircraft before the germans even started snorkeling.
DMS-1000 (10cm radar, forward looking only) was operational on liberators in march of 1942.
AN/APS-2 (10cm radar) was operational on american aircraft from feb 1943
AN/APS-15 (3cm radar) was operational on american aircraft from nov 1943

I don't have exact timeframes for the british, but I'm sure it's similar.

From Uboat.net:
The first boat to be fitted with the Schnorchel was U-58 which experimented with the equipment in the Baltic during the summer of 1943 but operational boats didn't start to use it until early 1944 and even as late as June 1944 only about half of the boats stationed in the French bases had Schnorchels fitted.

The only german radar detector that I can remember seeing references to being snorkel mounted naxos. Range wasn't good, less than the range of the radar it was detecting. It was *very* rare as well. I don't think I have ever actually seen a picture of it in operational use. Further, it probably would have been useless vs AN/APS-15, though still could have helped with detecting the older AN/APS-2 when encountered.

A good portion of the problem is that the germans didn't trust their radar warning receivers at all. This stems from a british POW that convinced them that we where homing in on metox signals in august 43. This offered a believable lie to the germans, since we where detecting them with AN/APS-2 that the germans couldn't detect. From their point of view, attacks where just coming out of nowhere and this finally explained why. From that point on, the germans where completely paranoid about their receivers. Later designs reduced emissions, which reduced detection ranges and the captains still didn't trust them so they where often just not used, even when equipped.

A good solid read on the detection/countermeasure war between germany and the western allies can be found here:
http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USN/...51/ASW-14.html
In RFB-German campaign the description for Metox RWR says that it can be detected although it's a passive device.So should we use Metox or not?And how we can get rid of it:
by switching radar off or by uninstalling it from the conning tower?
nionios is offline   Reply With Quote