Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Indie Subsims
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-14-16, 12:01 PM   #196
nsomnia
Weps

Downloads: 44
Uploads: 0

Also this

In regards to the user interface I'm thinking of having the main controls such as speed, depth and course as well as quick menus similar to SH5 with mods installed that give you officer options (only more advanced menus that can spread out very far) with all the nitty-gritty details in {Shift} + F1-F12 screens for up to 24 advanced deatils/controls screens.

During an emergency say the pressure hull was breached that "block" of information from the pressure hull screen would be shown in a "message" window and could be closed or clicked on to bring you to the "Pressure Hull and Trim Tanks" page for example.

The entire HUD wil be able to be hidden with a hotkey such as Left Alt + H I intend to have as many hotkeys as a flight simulator for each class of subs. This will be done by using .ini config files for each class of ships.

I have code written to import image files at runtime at the very least so modding so far will allow you to apply your own insignias etc. to your ships. Eventually model replacment and mission creating will become a reality hopefully and later a map editor in addition to the mission creator.

I will be designing the entire project around modding if the inital input is positive and looks commerical viable enough to do a kickstarter. I'll be thinking "How should I write/design/whatever this so that it can be exposed to allow users to modify it however they want when compiled"

You would be able to do everything in the ship walknig around as well such as replacing lightbulbs after depth charged or replacing fuses or adjusting the torpedos running depth.

One thing I love from Farming Simulator that I'm hoping to incorporate is a small screen in the top left corner that is turned on/off with F1 key that shows all available & important keys available to you to use at your current position.

So if your sitting in the attack scope it might be mouse wheel zoom in/out, home & end view up and dow,n pg up & down rotate scope, E exit scope.

When walking around you might have nothing shown and it will auto-hide but if you walk up to say the sonar station E Enter sonar station would appear or T Talk to sonarman or shift+t get quick report on sonar status.

Initally the playable area will be as much time as I have to stich together real world creations of the americas west and soviet east coast by hand with anything outside the view of the coast "infinite ocean tiles". You will probably be limited to only major cities/ports and the rest of the coastline will be straight with a random noise algorithim applied to it like in the screens on the last page the terrain is hand sculpted but the coast is procedural. The seafloor past the coastal areas (about 20x20km) will be "bottomless" until I can create a seafloor algorithim. If this is deemed to take too much time to get the first demo out then I will just do single battles with say 32 20x20 coastal areas stitched together and the ocean "infinite tiles".

I dont have the means of plotting a course right now. Maps has always been my #1 issue.

Fish swimming past teh scope underwater is still going to be there. Weve been able to spawn thousands of schools of 100's of fish each around the players area with only a few frames per second drop

Heres what I'm hoping the world will look like once completed

• Heat Map (Top Left) (for cold layers)
  • Height Map (Top Right) (for sea floor and terrain obviously)
  • Moisture Map (Bottom Right) (fogging and shorting of instruments, temperature inside compartments and thus lifespan of compopnents and happiness of crew)
  • Biome Map (Bottom Left) (certain areas will have different kinds of fish, and differnet kinds of enemy spawning at differnt rates, plus certain types of weather compared to others)

Any ideas for gameplay, story, mission ideas, looks, user interface, likes, dislikes, needs, wants, whatever is definitely going to go into designing the demo and beyond if it gets there.

Last edited by nsomnia; 01-14-16 at 02:54 PM.
nsomnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-16, 10:33 PM   #197
nsomnia
Weps

Code:
public BiomeType GetBiomeType(Tile tile)
{
    return BiomeTable [(int)tile.MoistureType, (int)tile.HeatType];
}
This will return the biomes heat and moisture levels at any given world tile.

Dynamic weather one day...
Old 01-16-16, 11:39 AM   #198
nsomnia
Weps

I've begun sketching up plans for this "test/demo mission" in my notebook and may get started as early as monday blocking it in and re-doing the game logic.

Start in first person mode aboard a sub, asked to drive the tug as the captain is out and the SS-1 has got to get to the drydock for repairs.

Your mission is as follows
  1. Enter Crane 1 and drop crate of naval rope on deck of tug tied off at 180d at dock 2
  2. Exit Crane 1 and Enter Tug 1, first officer will talk you through the controls and notifys you it needs fuel since this is a heavy haul and the weather is a little choppy even inside the sea-walls.
  3. Radio the captain and skeleton crew of the SS-1 to make sure you can use their maneuvering capabilities since this is a tight squeeze and youll have to back or push her in to the dry dock.
  4. Pilot tug to fueling station and moore up then connect fuel lines, fuel up 1500 gallons, while its fueling go into the dry dock and open the roof doors so you can load stores into SS-1 afterwards and open the dock doors to flood the dry dock.
  5. Disconnect fuel lines to tug 1 (overfuelling or spilling is a XP penalty), let go of mooring and tie up to SS-1
  6. Radio captain to un-tie SS-1 and keep the tension meter low so the lines dont break to her
  7. Using radio to captain of SS-1 and your power manuever her to the door of dry dock where you can see if she can back in aft-first otherwise un-tie and push her in straight, a meter showing your degrees will show and +/-15 degrees causes a fail
  8. Radio captain of ss-1 to moore up and tie the tug up and get off.
  9. Go into dry dock and close the doors and start pumping the water out, dont let the pumps run dry for too long if you forget, a heat meter will appear (XP penalty)
  10. enter crane 2 and load stores for the short trip ss-1 will be taking to be outfitted for after-war service.
After that I want to come up with some sort of gameplay and story as you how you might become the captain of SS-1 or at least FO. Dont want to make palyers climb the ranks but I want to allow them to take control of any station they want if so desired at any time.

The results of the code that I'm going to try to port over to UE4 except using the OpenStreetMaps API to build the real world.

Last edited by nsomnia; 01-16-16 at 11:55 AM.
Old 01-27-16, 03:50 PM   #199
nsomnia
Weps

Made an offical fork of the community ocean project to place all my code in as I release it open source and work on it today.

https://github.com/Nsomnia/OceanProject/

Also getting "un-rusted" in my c++ programming and with all the papers I have on ocean simulation going to look at getting some major simulation working and debugging.

Going to make the first playable boat just for debugging and simulating at first.

Will start a new thread when real development starts, for now I'll keep the updates to "news" but development is officially re-started!
Old 01-27-16, 04:58 PM   #200
Cybermat47
Willing Webfooted Beast

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 22

I look forward to the results
Old 01-28-16, 05:34 PM   #201
nsomnia
Weps

Got a gato done up real quick since it was available and will allow me to build up the gameplay test bed real real quick for testing simulations.

Water simulation addons get harder and more intense in complexity and such the smaller they become ie breaking waves, spray etc.

Gonna get it rigged and animated tomorrow. Not gonna worry about an interior for now and I didnt bother with the 40 or 20mm deck guns.

http://i.imgur.com/H6T93fE.jpg
Old 01-28-16, 09:02 PM   #202
zakarpatska
Loader

Downloads: 127

It's great to see this project active again.
zakarpatska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-16, 09:34 PM   #203
nsomnia
Weps

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakarpatska View Post
It's great to see this project active again.
The more feedback i get the more i want to work on it. Tell me what you want to play with right away and ill make it and release it!
Old 01-31-16, 11:48 PM   #204
nsomnia
Weps

Did some research on explosive simulations undewater water and it seems that you have your inital blast wave and reflected blast pressures off surfaces.

One more thing to take into effect to make this realistic
Old 02-02-16, 03:58 PM   #205
nsomnia
Weps

I havnt been able to get anything more done this last week except some research but starting this weekend I'm going to make a playable gato class simulator real quick just as a teaser and as a test bed to start playing with simulation code.

Underwater currents, underwater drag, detection by planes based on ocean opacity. Oil leaks leave a sheen on the surface making you more visible to planes and air leaks do the same.

It wont take me long to have a driveable sub (again) with the ballast/trim/safety/negative/water/fuel tanks and batterys simulated for buoyancy with controls plus propulsion.

I have both laser and acoustic range finding algorithims and forumulas put to code already as well as all the other stuff from earlier in the thread ill be porting over to the "new" project.

If anyone has the time to layout a basic setup of the Gato class interior with major instruments/devices/machinery etc. I can make that interactive as well

Last edited by nsomnia; 02-02-16 at 04:04 PM.
Old 02-02-16, 04:43 PM   #206
nsomnia
Weps

Maybe the pamantino guppy II conversion would be a better boat to start off with I forgot about this page! http://maritime.org/tech/drawings/
Old 02-03-16, 07:04 AM   #207
Polak2
Weps

Downloads: 60

This is very ambitious project and good luck (sincere !) with it.

My interest here is touch basis with someone like you who obviously knows game engines and leading environmental plug-ins for them. My first issue is the best ocean/sky system. My kind of 1st choice (for purely visual effect) seems to be CETO Ocean System for Unity. Yes, it carries a price tag, but it looks really good.

However, as I see, you are more aligned with Unreal engine. What best system for ocean UE has to offer? Is UE generally better/cheaper/more accessible than Unity?

BTW, because of pretty stunning effects and graphics my keen eyes are on Naval Action development and of certain interest to me is what they have used. My preliminary research tells me that they used Unity and perhaps CETO.

More questions to follow....
Polak2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-16, 04:07 PM   #208
nsomnia
Weps

Got the radar, scopes, planes, rudder, screws, hull, search lights, TBT's and loop antenna as well as radio antenna all ready for use today. This weekend a lot of work will get done and ill post a playable version of my work.
Old 02-03-16, 04:33 PM   #209
nsomnia
Weps

It seems there has been some new development in Unity in regards to their ocean, although I could easily port the C# to blueprints then to c++ I'm sure; if they stay in development then it will take some of the surface work off me.

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/the....370818/page-3
Old 02-03-16, 10:28 PM   #210
nsomnia
Weps

Got my basic Gato imported cause I was bored tonight and setup a nice ocean set to 1946 Feburary in the northern Pacific. Got a basic wake going and surface movement re-worked REALLY quickly. Gonna get the planes and rudder imported and then get underwater dynamics working again.

Once I get her textured up and the mast details (scopes etc.) and the conning tower accessable (only spent 5 minutes making it so you can walk on the deck) I'll be happier. The surface dynamics are great and I only have the bow and after ballast tanks simulated so far. Tommorrow I'll make them flood/ventable and see how she swims.

The shaders are looking alot better than I expected. Got some explosion particle FX ready to test out with my old fish bubble wake trail cant wait to fire some fish. The one thing that will take me a while is making an underwater explosion since thats something you cant find any references on and has to come 100% from stock.

Edit: here she is foamy and wake-y with decks awash all textured up after completing a "Y Turn" with a crew member on deck with a mouth full of salt water!

Last edited by nsomnia; 02-03-16 at 10:42 PM.