SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-03-19, 04:38 AM   #1
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
Yes, we already agreed on that, but my question was relative to a different (though related) topic. Please re-read my remarks on it:
Can't really comment that. It needs to be tested...
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-19, 09:02 AM   #2
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
Can't really comment that. It needs to be tested...
Okay. I think that that might be worth some tests since the same principle might also apply to sensors and armaments...
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-19, 03:17 PM   #3
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 3

Guys, a quick question: is it possible to make flag smaller? (without changing the size of flags on other ships of course). The huge default flag simply doesn't fit the flagpole on such a small boat.
kapuhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-19, 05:57 PM   #4
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapuhy View Post
Guys, a quick question: is it possible to make flag smaller? (without changing the size of flags on other ships of course). The huge default flag simply doesn't fit the flagpole on such a small boat.
If you opted for the dat format, I think that you have no control on the flag size other than the naming of the flag node:

cfg#FLG = war ensign, large
cfg#FLS = war ensign, small
cfg#FLGC = civil ensign

It is likely that the same naming convention applies to GR2 units too, but chances are that the flag size of granny-format units can be fine-tuned further by using bone trasform (scale) data. My suggestion is you to have a look into this mod . By comparing its modded files with stock ones, you can easily understand how uekel achieved his smaller flags.
Old 04-04-19, 02:20 AM   #5
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
cfg#FLG = war ensign, large
cfg#FLS = war ensign, small
cfg#FLGC = civil ensign
Weird... I just tried it and the flag size stays about the same (roughly 1,5 times as high as the flagpole). It might be shorter horizontally with #FLS but I'm not sure.

Another minor thing I've noticed with the flag is that while it moves around with flagpole as ship bounces on waves, it doesn't seem to tilt accordingly, so with bigger waves you can see flag edges moving away from the flagpole.

(and yes, I've tried simplier .dat import through s3ditor first, though I still intend to try doing a gr2 version as well. This way I'll learn how both available editors work)

If I can't get the flag smaller, I'll probably just lower the yard (is this the correct English term?) a bit to accomodate for bigger flag.

Last edited by kapuhy; 04-04-19 at 03:55 AM.
Old 04-04-19, 05:31 AM   #6
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Weird... I just tried it and the flag size stays about the same (roughly 1,5 times as high as the flagpole). It might be shorter horizontally with #FLS but I'm not sure.
Maybe #FLS flag nodes are just a SHIII/SHIV thing. As I said in my previous post, in SH5 there might be a better way to reduce flag size (if the gr2 format is used).

Quote:
Another minor thing I've noticed with the flag is that while it moves around with flagpole as ship bounces on waves, it doesn't seem to tilt accordingly, so with bigger waves you can see flag edges moving away from the flagpole.
That's weird, I have never seen anything similar

Quote:
(and yes, I've tried simplier .dat import through s3ditor first, though I still intend to try doing a gr2 version as well. This way I'll learn how both available editors work)
Okay, importing your first vessel as a dat unit will be a good exercise, even if at some point you will decide to switch to the gr2 format

Quote:
If I can't get the flag smaller, I'll probably just lower the yard (is this the correct English term?) a bit to accomodate for bigger flag.
I am not a native English speaker either, but I think that a yard is an horizontal pole crossing a mast at a 90 deg angle in the port/starboard direction. I don't know how you want to accomodate the flag on your ship model, but to the bets of my knowledge naval ensigns were (and are) usually flown from a ensign staff at the ship's stern while at port, and from a gaff (i.e. a slanted pole usually diverging from a mast in the longitudinal direction) over the stern while underway. Maybe the picture below will make things clearer for you:

Old 04-04-19, 12:12 PM   #7
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Thanks gap!

I didn't know of this and initially placed the ensign simply on the mast head (which caused problems because Fairmile's yardarm is rather close to the mast head and flag reached below it), but after your post I checked the photos from WW2 and they all show ensign flying from the gaff as you told. I'll be correcting this in my model, and incidentally it solves the issue of flag size as well, because between the gaff and the deck I have enough space to hoist three flags if I wanted

In the meantime hit another obstacle - I can't find where the game stores models and data for weapons. Ship .dat and .eqp files contain references to various weapons and I can place them on ship by copying those references from existing units - but where are weapon models themselves and is it possible to edit/add new ones?

For historically accurate equipement on Fairmile, I need four kinds of weapons:
- Hotchkiss QF 3pdr (45mm) (initially mounted as main gun on foredeck)
- 20 mm Oerlikon AA guns (those replaced 3pdr later on, and additional one was mounted on aft deck)
- .303 Lewis machine guns
- this kind of crude DC racks:

EDIT: Just found the weapons. data/Library folder

Last edited by kapuhy; 04-04-19 at 03:06 PM.