Old 12-14-14, 07:41 PM   #1
Cybermat47
Willing Webfooted Beast

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 22

Default Gunman takes hostages in Sydney

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-30473983

Quote:
At least one gunman has taken several people hostage at a cafe in the Australian city of Sydney.

Pictures on Australian television show at least three people with their hands up against a window, and a black flag with Arabic writing.

Hundreds of armed police have sealed off Martin Place in Sydney's central business district.

New South Wales police have asked people to avoid the area.
I wonder who it could be

Fortunately my Dad didn't go into work today.
Old 12-14-14, 08:21 PM   #2
Schroeder
Navy Seal

Downloads: 62
Uploads: 0

A Buddhist monk no doubt....
Old 12-14-14, 08:34 PM   #3
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Old 12-14-14, 08:56 PM   #4
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Black Flag? Arabic writing? Probably Arabian Coffee growers union protesting Lindt's decsion not to use their beans. Local issue nothing to see here, move along.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.

Last edited by Rockstar; 12-14-14 at 11:00 PM.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-14, 11:07 PM   #5
GoldenRivet
Subsim Aviator

Downloads: 146

Good thing they have all that gun control
Old 12-14-14, 11:16 PM   #6
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenRivet View Post
Good thing they have all that gun control

Guess the only way to prevent this in the future is to outlaw Cafes.
Old 12-15-14, 05:40 AM   #7
Dread Knot
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 84

I think we should wait and see what develops here before leaping on our favorite hobby horse one-size-fits-all social theories and solutions.

From all reports it does sound like there is only gunman involved holding these unfortunate people. Seems like he's gotta sleep sometime.
Dread Knot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-14, 06:16 AM   #8
Tango589
Still crazy as ever!

Downloads: 180
Uploads: 1

There seems to be a slight element of farce about this, as the gunman appears to have the wrong flag and has requested the Australian authorities give him the correct one.

Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...
Tango589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-14, 06:23 AM   #9
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Knot View Post
I think we should wait and see what develops here before leaping on our favorite hobby horse one-size-fits-all social theories and solutions.

From all reports it does sound like there is only gunman involved holding these unfortunate people. Seems like he's gotta sleep sometime.
That's never stopped GT before.

Yeah, NSW police have done well to get as many people out as they have, sounds as though a reasonable line of communication has been set up between the police and the hostage-taker. It's just a question of keeping him engaged and if there is only one person then de-escalating him and keeping him rational as he gets more and more fatigued.
The Aussie police are pretty good at this, I just hope that the Prime Sinister doesn't use this as an excuse to lurch even more right-wing, but that's politics for you.
Keep cool Aussie-land, the odds were even for this happening, it'll probably happen in other western countries before the decade is out, we are at war after all and this is how the enemy strikes back at us. What we mustn't do is do what the enemy wants us to do, and that's to isolate and alienate other Muslims in our nations so that they too feel that there is no choice but to go and join IS.
And in regards to guns... Yes, I'm sure that a shoot-out in the cafe would have ended with no casualties to innocent bystanders...
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-14, 06:24 AM   #10
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Five people have left the building but it's not certain whether they escaped or were released.

The police have the area contained so it's now a waiting game, he isn't going anywhere....unless of course he starts harming the hostages, then a swift and abrupt end will certainly ensue.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-14, 06:34 AM   #11
Betonov
Navy Seal

Downloads: 26

If he doesn't have a dead mans switch on his backpack, get the snipers to take a shot when the opportunity arises.

But talking him out, we're dealing with a lone amateur here, is an option.
Betonov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-14, 07:09 AM   #12
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betonov View Post
If he doesn't have a dead mans switch on his backpack, get the snipers to take a shot when the opportunity arises.

But talking him out, we're dealing with a lone amateur here, is an option.
I think he's probably thought of that, hence why he has people up at the window with the flag, to try and block the view of snipers into the cafe.
To be honest, with the amount of films and TV programs showing hostage stand-offs it's drilled into most people that there's always a sniper on stand-by ready to take the shot if needed, so the first thing you do is block his line of sight.
Of course, as he gets more tired he's going to make a mistake, just hopefully it's not one that gets people killed.
Is he armed with explosives? I've only seen reports of a firearm being involved...probably best not to underestimate his destructive potential I guess.
The fact that people have exited the scene alive so far is a good sign, the guy seems young and inexperienced, his plan is not particularly well thought out, so that's a 50/50 thing, it'll mean he can either be talked down and de-escalated or it means he'll feel that he's in a corner and everything is going wrong, in which case he might lash out. The job of the negotiator at the scene will be pushing him gently towards the former rather than the latter.
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-14, 07:23 AM   #13
Betonov
Navy Seal

Downloads: 26

I don't know what would happen here. We never had a hostage situation.
There were cases of domestic violence that turned to a hostage situation, but the situation defused before the police arrived. A drunken idiot with a gun (not enough gun control if you ask me here) realizing what he's doing or he just shoots himself.
Betonov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-14, 07:57 AM   #14
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
Is he armed with explosives? I've only seen reports of a firearm being involved...probably best not to underestimate his destructive potential I guess.
I think the authorities will have no other option other than to presume he has but they do know who he is and what his list of demands are so they should have a pretty accurate profile on whom they are dealing with.

Quote:
Witnesses saw a man with a bag and gun walk into the Lindt chocolate shop and cafe.
Quote:
An armed man wearing a backpack and a bandana could be seeing walking around inside the cafe.
Quote:
Police have identified the gunman and he is well known to them, Australian media report.

News organisations also say the suspect has contacted them to issue demands, which police have urged media not to report.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-30473983

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-14, 08:14 AM   #15
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Those hostages have drawn the a..-card, but so be it, it cannot be helped. The terrorist is not to escape and his demands are not to be fulfilled, I hope this is crystalclear to the authorities.

German media say the terrorist is a known customer to the police. The five people getting out, escaped, and were not released.

He is reported to have four bombs. Whether they are real or just fake, is not known.