SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-11-11, 02:04 PM   #1
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 4

Default Stiebler_Addon_for_V16A3. (Patch)

Stiebler_Addon_for_V16A3.
This patch is now available from my signature below. Full instructions are included with the patch, so I summarise briefly here:

1. The patch is a hard-code fix that can be applied ONLY (at present*) to a legitimate copy of SH3.exe that has already been patched with H.sie’s V1.6A3 ‘Wolf pack’ patch. The Stiebler Addon provides extra functions.
(* H.sie has reallocated spare memory in SH3.exe, and has very generously allowed to me a large slice of the new, allocated space. It means that this Stiebler_Addon_for_V16A3 patch *should be* applicable to later H.sie patches of SH3.exe, but this is not guaranteed.)

2. The mods provided with the Stiebler_Addon_for_V16A3 are these:
a) CAM-ship mod, as seen previously with the old Stiebler patch for H.sie patch V16G3 (prevents the single Hurricane flown off once from a CAM-ship from making repeated attacks over a period of days or even weeks.)
b) Surrender-at-sea mod, another old favourite. Now you may survive being sunk.
c) ‘Smoke-on-horizon’ mod. Your bridge-watch shouts out ‘Smoke on Horizon, Sir!’ when a convoy (or battle-group) is sighted. Owing to changes that I made to the ‘Convoy Contact’ code, this mod functions exceptionally well now. The same adaption has been made to H.sie’s Wolf Pack mod, to improve shadowing of convoys.
d) Silent-Running mod, which causes your U-boat to sink very slowly when silent-running (pumps no longer function). This mod originally functioned at all depths, and therefore required specially lengthened periscopes in the U-boat turm, but this requirement has now been ended. The Silent-Running mod functions only at depths > 100m.
e) Asdic in shallow-waters fix. This is a new mod that attempts to fix the problem that asdic should be less effective against U-boats in shallow waters. The asdic fix should be regarded as a beta-test, and I am open to suggestions that the parameters should be made more or less effective, depending on user experiences.

3. Two subsidiary folders are supplied. One contains key files that you will need to add your SH3 isntallation, preferably with JScones’ JSGME. The other contains substitute or example files, that should be added to the key files. Full instructions are provided with the patch itself.

4. A new Options Selector (version 1.5) is included. Again, this will function only with H.sie patches of SH3.exe from V16A3 onwards. It is now possible to set the H.sie mod options by toggling the appropriate boxes ON/OFF in one dialog box, and to set the Stiebler options in a separate dialog box.
IMPORTANT NOTE: I created the Stiebler_addon patch with my own preferred options clicked ON, and did all the testing with these preferences. These options are probably not *your* preferred options, so be sure to choose them carefully. In particular, if you do not have a 64-bit computer, then un-check the 4-Gbyte RAM option (top of first dialog box). As always, users of NYGM should ensure that the ‘Realistic Repairs’ option is ticked OFF.

That’s about it, for now.

Stiebler. (Release date 11/11/2011.)
Stiebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-11, 02:40 PM   #2
Fish In The Water
Prince of
the Sea

SUBSIM
Welcome
Committee

Downloads: 98
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiebler View Post
e) Asdic in shallow-waters fix. This is a new mod that attempts to fix the problem that asdic should be less effective against U-boats in shallow waters. The asdic fix should be regarded as a beta-test, and I am open to suggestions that the parameters should be made more or less effective, depending on user experiences.
Looking forward to trying this out. Thank you very much for the release.

Fish In The Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-11, 02:47 PM   #3
reaper7
sim2reality

Downloads: 258
Uploads: 30

Brilliant, can't wit to try it out. Thanks Stiebler for your continued work
reaper7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-11, 04:20 PM   #4
Magic1111
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 783
Uploads: 0

Thanks Stiebler, excellent work!

Best regards,
Magic
Old 11-11-11, 04:49 PM   #5
Randomizer
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Thank you for your continued work on SH3!
Old 11-11-11, 06:03 PM   #6
Jaeger
Chief

Downloads: 28

thank you, outstanding. really appreciated!
Old 11-11-11, 07:01 PM   #7
U-Falke
Gunner

Downloads: 227

These are very nice resources for SH3. Please consider, in the near future, to merge it with the torpedo reload mod and the V16A3 mod!
U-Falke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-11, 10:07 AM   #8
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 132

Tahnks again Stiebler!

I had no oportunnity to ask a doubt of mine related to the ASDIC mod. I followed a bit the discussion on the thread.

My question: after adding this value 100 to Ai_sensors.dat the value on sim.cfg is now useless, am I correct? (I believe that this is also true for any other value in sim.cfg that have the counterpart on AI_sensors.dat different than zero - and more, probably true for others files in SH3 too.)
Old 11-12-11, 12:50 PM   #9
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 12

Hi Stiebler,

thanks for your work

I've seen that you've included a file for GWX. I know that the SH3 Commander files for GWX change values in this file (this also holds for stock,...). Since it uses the offset, it's important that this offset is still correct. If not you will get a CTD. Have you made sure that the offset is still correct? I ask because SH3ditor adds a header that changes the offset and quite a few GWX files don't have this header (stock files neither, of course).

Please don't get my comment wrong. I just want to make sure that potential CTDs are avoided. Players who change the files should know about the risks in connection with SH3 Commander.

Regards, LGN1

Last edited by LGN1; 11-12-11 at 01:52 PM.
LGN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-11, 06:57 AM   #10
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 4

@LGN1:

I used File-Analyzer to make the changes. But thanks for the warning about S3Ditor's addition, of which I was not aware previously.

I have just checked the file lengths: original GWX AI_Sensors.dat file: 17,192 bytes; same file converted for use with the asdic mod: 17,192 bytes. Therefore file-length has not been altered, only the contents. So it is safe to use the modified files, supplied with the asdic mod, in SH3Commander.

@Rubini:
I have little information about when values are used from sim.cfg, and from AI_Sensors.dat. However, from observation, it seems that values in AI_Sensors.dat usually (always?) have priority.

I hope this helps.

Stiebler.
Stiebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-11, 07:13 AM   #11
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453

Thank you for your work on this. I have it all set up and ready to go, now to find the time to play it.

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-11, 12:09 PM   #12
Fish In The Water
Prince of
the Sea

SUBSIM
Welcome
Committee

Downloads: 98
Uploads: 2

Just wanted to add I've got mine up and running with testing underway. Thanks again for all the ongoing work!

Fish In The Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-11, 12:38 PM   #13
andqui
Soundman

Downloads: 195

I'm consistently getting a CTD with Stiebler's additions, and not with just the h.sie patch. Here is what I did, using a GWX install:

1. Ran Stiebler's batch file and his version of the options selector
2. Put that into the supplement folder
3. Installed the additions to the en_ and de_menu.txt
4. Copied the .cfg's for the three CAM ships, added the air group, and changed the unit type to 8
5. Used S3ditor to apply minsurface=100 to each of the sonar types
6. Installed the finished supplement, with the above ship files and the new sensor file added into it.

H.sie's patch is succesfully installed and runs fine. When I apply Stiebler's patch on top of that, I get a CTD while loading. This is with any combination of options (all off, all on, one on), and with and without the modified sensor file.

Any suggestions on how I should establish what is causing the crash?

thanks
andqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-11, 01:27 PM   #14
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 12

Hi Andqui,

are you using SH Commander? If yes, see my post above.

Cheers, LGN1
LGN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-11, 02:13 PM   #15
andqui
Soundman

Downloads: 195

I am using SH3 commander- but the CTD occurs both when I start from SH3C and when I start the sh3.exe without Commander. It also occurs if I leave out the changed sensors file- so it's not that.
andqui is offline   Reply With Quote