SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 04-27-07, 05:54 PM   #1
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

Default [REL] Flavored To Taste 2.5

Edit: Updated 05May07

Silent Hunter 4: Flavored To Taste version 2.5
- The cure for most( but not all) of your Sh4 aliments!

What is this mod?
It's just a personal project, and for me is acutally a source of enjoyment. I can't just play this game, i have to get into its inner workings too. When i really get into a game like this, i tend to hone it around the edges to make the game more to my liking. Hence the name "flavored to taste", for want of a better term. This mod represents modfications to refine the game to how *I* would like to play. I document what changes i make as best i can and provide the package as sort of a gesture of good will if it will help make the game more enjoyable for you. You can change, edit, and remove whatever you don't like to flavor the game more to your own taste.

Scope of mod
This is not meant to be a "super mod", although it starting to look that way My overall intent is to make the game more pleasing to play, and to provide a challenge to the player . In the course of those two primary goals, there WILL be (and already has) been some deviation from historical accuracy. This is not a mod for a "rivet counter", nor is this a mod for someone looking for "quake3 in subs". That said, im trying to stay with historical accuracy as much as possible, but being perfectly historically accurate in every detail is NOT how i would define this mod.

Why did you remove the next/ previous camera?
This modification is the most frequently asked and is testiment that this mod is not intended to make things easy despite some compromises to historical accuracy. I have always felt that the external camera gives the player too much info, and is something of a cheat given that the player can obtain info a real sub captain never could. Yet, its silly to deny oneself the eyecandy. Hence the "compromised realism camera". you can still look about your sub, but can't look at sound/radar contacts taht you otherwise couldnt see. Now, when you get a sonar/radar contact, you really have to wonder what you have there.

Ok, whatever dude, how do i renable the next previous camera?
In this mod, open the file data/cfg/commands.cfg in notepad. Search for "Cmd50" and
remove the semicolon placed in front of the key assigments for "Cmd50" and "Cmd51".

Installation:
JSGME, what else? (see here for details:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...5&postcount=48 )

Compatiblity & known issues:

- You must be in port (not at sea) before enabling this mod.
- For some uses the 0kb movie files cause crashes at game startup. If your game crash's, remove those files from this mod.
- Unknown if progressive tower upgrades in career game is functioning properly (stock bug).
- Due to extensive file changes, this mod is not compatible with any other large mod package.
- This mod is NOT compatiable with ANY mod that tries to alter the AI behavior.
- it is not known if the fix for forced retirement will effect games in progress.
- Forced retirement fix only address retirement due to sub being removed from service.
- Airplanes have visual detection issues. Stock bug introduced with patch 1.2

ADDITIONAL CREDITS:
- CCIP, for his orginal work on the commands.cfg and sub battery fix.
- cdrake66, for his new icons for the ordersbar
- jimimadrid, for his orderbar lamp color change
- OakGroove, for his percision bearing indicator
- fullmetaledges, for his medal changes/corrections
- Mraah, Jace11, and Redwine, for updated Sensors_sub_US.sim
- Chrall, for dark rec manual background.
- Misc sounds from Günther Hessler's "ultimate sound" mod pack
- scoochy, for hisslower smoke mod
- Seeadler, for his sky env mod
- Probex, for his 9KM visibility mod
- Chomu, for mini chrono
- zAmboni, and captain cox, for Nav tools
- Payoff, for the missing crew speech crash dive vocals.

-----------------------------------

Overview of major features
( For a more precise list of changes, see the readme
http://www.ducimus.net/sh4/release/FTT_readme.txt )

Improved AI Detection
Passive, active, and visual detection for the AI has been much improved. Your going to have to be a little bit more careful then you've been before.

Improved Airpower
Improved does not mean, more planes. The number of planes generated has acutaly been toned down, however the bombs the planes drop are a bit more dangerous, and the planes are not as easy to shoot down. If given the choice, diving is preferable.

Improved player sensors
Watchcrew is no longer so blind, and a workaround for radar plane detection has been introduced. SD radar has been alterd so it longer detect anything, (although you can still equip it), SJ radar now detects both planes and ships and is available at the start of the war. The result is you can turn off the radar whenever you want. Particuarly when entering or leaving port, as radar contact spam is annoying. You must also remember to turn it on when surfacing (R key). In addition, "radar depth" is now possible.

User Interface enhancements
- Control hotkeys are layed in similar to SH3.

- Torpedo doors, when opened, will stay open until you close them, or fire the torpedo in the opened tube.

- You can turn off and on the radar from any screen or menu (R key)

- You can call battle stations from any screen or menu ( B key )

- Commands from SH3 renabled for sh4: Navigator->Max range at current speed, Navigator->range to course end, WE-> Identify target, WO->nearest visual contact, WO->weather report, Sonar->follow nearest warship, sonar->normal sweep,

Whats more, not only have these commands been renabled, they're now shown on the orders bar with their own icons! (Old picture, new icons not shown)

- More informative help menu!

- Speed/range chart to plot your intercepts in help menu

Career Game Enhancments
- Medals awarded are a bit closer to the real word in name and appearance.

- Campaign start dates expanded.

- Repeated patrol bug fixed. The game will now assign one area, every two months. After two months time, a new area is selected. No more doing 6 patrols in a row to Honshu!

- Forced retirement due to boat being removed from service is fixed.

- No more Generic Yamoto battlehips. The days of sinking the Yamato like it was some common tin can are over!

- contact report range greatly reduced. No more lag enducing spammage on the clipboard.

- Pearl harbor flotilla users rejoice! The International Dateline bug is no more! Well, sorta Start outside the harbor, and you will now be placed about 140KM west of the IDL and midway. You will not cross the IDL until you decided to return to port. And at that point, the bug doesnt matter anymore. Note: You still have the option to start in harbor, but i wouldnt recommend it.

- Asiatic fleet users. No more missions in your home port when stationed at manila or Soberja.

Submarine Enhancements
- New throttle settings that are a bit more logical. (1/3rd is silent speed, 2/3rd is fuel conservaton crusing speed, etc)

- Wind will no longer effect when you can, or cannot use your deck weapons. (Rain however still does)

- No more empty planesman positions. Didn't you think it odd that only one planesman was at station all the time unless battlestaions was sounded?

- The bathtub is GONE.

- more realistic battery life, and diesal fuel capacity

- Boats now dive quicker then stock

- Gar class submarine is now independant of the Tambor with its own files, and has been changed to act as a middle of the road sub between a Tambor and Gato. (see readme for details)

Graphics and sounds

- added some sounds from various modpacks, some resampled to not be so loud. Special thanks to Günther Hessler for some of the files ive used from his outstanding sound mod. It really helps with emersion!

- Slower smoke. No more 50 kt smoke in a 5kt wind.

- slower clouds and sky textures. No more playing the game, and seeing the clouds speed by like your watching the intro movie.

- Sub marker when submerged no longer appears.

- more percise bearing indicator

Misc erratta
- Ships sink at a slower, slightly more realistic rate.

- deck gun and AA gun upgrades spread out a bit more. (just incase your wondering where your twin AA gun and 4" Deck gun is in 1941, its in 6/42, and 1/43)

- torpedo dud rate *slightly* increased. (dont expect much, the games weird when it decides to have duds. you get no duds, and then a ton of em, its seems totally random)

Bungo Pete lives!
Bungo pete. That ex Japanese submariner turned destroyer captain. He know's his stuff. Reputed to be superhuman, or supernatural, the Bungo straights is known as a submarine graveyard. Unless your crazy good, or just plain crazy, avoid the Bungo Straights if you can. If you must go through, good luck, your going to need it.

Enough talk! Where do i D/L it? (11.7 MB)
http://www.ducimus.net/sh4/release/R...o_taste_2_5.7z

---------------------------------

Other mods id recommend to go along with this one:
Periscope Telemeter Lenses, 32 dgr Field and 8 dgr Field
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=110064
Retextured Orders bar gauges
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=110655
360 degree bearing tool
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=108555
JP Ship Dimension Fix 1.2
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=109953

Changes in FTT 2.5 in relation to FTT 2.4
Quote:

//added probex's 9KM vis mod (scene.dat, sensors.cfg )

//added quick conversions chart in help menu

// missing "crash dive" vocals by Payoff.

// bungo pete

//basic 1024_768.ini mod
-mini chrono by Chomu
-nav tools by zAmboni, and captain cox.

//SENSORS.DAT
Visual->PerciseRange from 8000 to 6500
Visual->surface from 150 to 100

//AI_SENSORS.DAT
AI_Visual->Sensitivity from 0.3 to 0
Ai_visual->maxheight from 10,000 to 25,000
type93-1a->MaxElevation from 104 to 106
type93-3a->MaxElevation from 108 to 110
type93-5a->MaxElevation from 116 to 118

//DEPTHCHARGES.ZON
MinRadius from 3.5 to 4.5
Max radius from 16 to 15

//sim.cfg ->Visual
wave factor from 0.75 to 1.5
Light factor from 2 to 2.5
detection time from 0.5 to 0.25

//FLOTILLA.UPC
-S class exit date nulled.
- balao / brisbane exit date nulled.
- retouched patrol assigments

//campaign
- task force spawn probablity from 75% to 35% every two weeks.
- Troop convoy spawn probablity from 75% to 35% every two weeks.
- single merchant spawn probablity from 75 to 40-45% every few days.
- reduced jp BB/CV harbor traffic spawn frequency.

Side note: until patch 1.3.....

"The deh the tha, thats all folks!"
Really this time!

Last edited by Ducimus; 05-06-07 at 11:31 AM.
Old 04-27-07, 06:10 PM   #2
Scoochy
Sparky

Downloads: 24
Uploads: 0

Saweeeeetness!
Now I just have to end my patrol before I can install. May have to rush back home early for this one!
Old 04-27-07, 06:29 PM   #3
Skipbo
Sailor man

Downloads: 10

Ducimus: Super! Thanks for all that you do for so many of us. I use several other mods, but yours is the "base mod" that I start with and your "taste" seems to coincide extremely well with mine. I'm anxious to try it out as well and have already finished downloading it as I type.............Skipbo
Old 04-27-07, 06:31 PM   #4
shad43
Frogman

Downloads: 21

Hi Ducimus, I have to say this is impressive I don't use your mod per se, as the title says
its "flavored to taste" I use only a handful of mods and my own cfg adjustments, that said I learn a lot by checking out your work...I much appreciate your efforts to make the game better Thankyou
The forced retirement fix is a good one, without having seen the files yet I would assume you changed the end dates for the subs...this would make a good stand alone mod for those who don't use large mod packs.
Again, nice work
Old 04-27-07, 06:35 PM   #5
Hartmann
Sea Lord

Downloads: 204

great!!

i was looking for mods and now i have a good pack !

thanks

She is made of iron, sir. I assure you, she can. and she will. It is a mathematical certainty.

Strength and honor
Old 04-27-07, 06:46 PM   #6
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

Keep up the good work.........i mean great,thanks
Old 04-27-07, 07:10 PM   #7
wrrichard
Swabbie

Downloads: 29
Default Thanks

Very nice. Thank you for all the hard work! It has made the game playable for me.
Old 04-27-07, 07:11 PM   #8
TDK1044
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 25

Outstanding work. Many thanks.
Old 04-27-07, 07:52 PM   #9
LZ_Baker
Engineer

Downloads: 51

Thanks again mate!
Old 04-27-07, 07:56 PM   #10
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

Now that ive had a power nap.......

The career ending early bug:

After testing i isolated it to the flotilla.cfg. Each flotilla has boats assigned to it. Each boat has an entry date, and exit date. Its this exit date that appears to be the culprit. How i figured this out , was i took The porpoise class, stripped everything out of the roster folder except one boat (so it only had one to choose from). I then set its DoD date to be 9dec41.

I then started game with said boat at that date. Ran out of base, came back in a couple times. no early ending. So it wasnt the roster file. I then went back, and editid the boat exit date for that floatilla, ran out of base, came back, ended, and BAAM, the navy has retired you along with your boat. I mean, if you read the text, it practially tells you why your career is over. They retired your boat, and you along with it. :rotfl:

Setting the end date to NULL, and i didnt have the same problem. - hence.. problem solved!

What took alot more work then that, was attempting to get rid of the "repeating patrol" bug. Well, at least i have good reason to beleive i got rid of it anyway. Heres why.

Also in the flotilla .cfg is patrol assigments for every boat type. Each assigment has an entry date, and an exit date, just like subs. Well, by default theres only 7 or 8 total assigments. But not all assigments are available right away. Some enter the "you might get this assigmetn" pool later in the war, most assigments however, are avialable concurrently. Two of which (at least in pearl harbors case) had null entry and exit dates. Honshu and Hokkaido. I found it rather curious how in pearl harbor your always going to those two places.

So what i did was basically, script out a buttload more assigments, and then force the game to use them one at a time. Essentually those 7 or 8 assigments, became 20 assigments. Each assigment WILL be different from the last one, and will only be assigned for a 2 month period ( about the time to complete one patrol i figure), and then the game will pick the next one. I basically scripted out a 2 month patrol sequence from 12/41 all the way to 1/45, hence how 8 entries became 20. For each boat type, for each flotilla. (lot of copying in pasting really)

The stock flotilla.cfg is about 33.9 KB, mine after reworking it is now 72.2 KB. And ill say upfront i left all the sub entry dates at stock (historical?) value incase anyone else wanted to use this file in any of their modwork. Nobody should have had to rewrite that F"ing file in the first place.
Old 04-27-07, 08:09 PM   #11
Marko_Ramius
Frogman

Downloads: 109

Outstanding, Ducimus A ton of thanks !!
Old 04-27-07, 08:29 PM   #12
Zantham
中国水兵

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 1

"When will the goodness ever end?!?!"
Old 04-27-07, 08:50 PM   #13
GnarPow
Gunner

Downloads: 0

Havnt downloaded it yet but I want to say in advance good work man... Makes me happy to see people putting in such hard work like this for everyone else's enjoyment.
Old 04-27-07, 09:05 PM   #14
shad43
Frogman

Downloads: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducimus

After testing i isolated it to the flotilla.cfg. Each flotilla has boats assigned to it. Each boat has an entry date, and exit date. Its this exit date that appears to be the culprit. How i figured this out , was i took The porpoise class, stripped everything out of the roster folder except one boat (so it only had one to choose from). I then set its DoD date to be 9dec41.

I then started game with said boat at that date. Ran out of base, came back in a couple times. no early ending. So it wasnt the roster file. I then went back, and editid the boat exit date for that floatilla, ran out of base, came back, ended, and BAAM, the navy has retired you along with your boat. I mean, if you read the text, it practially tells you why your career is over. They retired your boat, and you along with it. :rotfl:

Setting the end date to NULL, and i didnt have the same problem. - hence.. problem solved!

What took alot more work then that, was attempting to get rid of the "repeating patrol" bug. Well, at least i have good reason to beleive i got rid of it anyway. Heres why.

Also in the flotilla .cfg is patrol assigments for every boat type. Each assigment has an entry date, and an exit date, just like subs. Well, by default theres only 7 or 8 total assigments. But not all assigments are available right away. Some enter the "you might get this assigmetn" pool later in the war, most assigments however, are avialable concurrently. Two of which (at least in pearl harbors case) had null entry and exit dates. Honshu and Hokkaido. I found it rather curious how in pearl harbor your always going to those two places.

So what i did was basically, script out a buttload more assigments, and then force the game to use them one at a time. Essentually those 7 or 8 assigments, became 20 assigments. Each assigment WILL be different from the last one, and will only be assigned for a 2 month period ( about the time to complete one patrol i figure), and then the game will pick the next one. I basically scripted out a 2 month patrol sequence from 12/41 all the way to 1/45, hence how 8 entries became 20. For each boat type, for each flotilla. (lot of copying in pasting really)

The stock flotilla.cfg is about 33.9 KB, mine after reworking it is now 72.2 KB. And ill say upfront i left all the sub entry dates at stock (historical?) value incase anyone else wanted to use this file in any of their modwork. Nobody should have had to rewrite that F"ing file in the first place.
I can't thank you enough for this work...I was attempting to come up with my own
variation of this for my own personal use...with Beery's PTM as a base I've added more S-18 entries for Pearl as well as merging Luke FF's Hull Classification Symbols and Numbers Mod and was trying to figure out some stuff and wham here it is courtesy of FTT, you've solved my patrol problems, now I can merge your work in the flotilla.upc and with some new S-18 patrol entries for pearl have the best of all worlds.

Last edited by shad43; 04-28-07 at 08:57 AM.
Old 04-27-07, 09:27 PM   #15
t0maz
Ensign

Downloads: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducimus

After testing i isolated it to the flotilla.cfg.
But... there is no flotilla.cfg in FFT.
Could u share it?
Closed Thread