SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-08-08, 09:32 AM   #826
tomfon
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 178
Uploads: 4

Wonderful!

Many thanks to both of you guys.

tomfon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-08, 04:56 PM   #827
Sledgehammer427
PacWagon

Location: Drinking coffee and staring at trees in Massachusetts
Downloads: 280
Uploads: 0

okay, heres the rundown

i got everything i needed, (DX managed, the new framework)
and it installed with no errors, but when i go to run it....

EDIT:note the amazing disorganization of my desktop :rotfl:
V-boat Nutcase - Need supplies? Japanese garrison on a small island in the way? Just give us a call! D4C!

Last edited by Sledgehammer427; 11-08-08 at 04:57 PM.
Sledgehammer427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-08, 05:57 PM   #828
DeepIron
Sea Lord

Downloads: 0

I haven't seen that particular error screen. A couple of things I would suggest:

1. Be sure to run your windows update and make sure your .NET install is 100%...
2. Uninstall/reinstall S3D.

I know it sounds silly, but I always shutdown and restart my computer to make sure the registry reloads 100% after doing OS and program installs/upgrades. It's worth a shot...

If all else fails, I'd PM Skwasjer.
RFB Loadout: RFB_V1.52_102408: RFB_V1.52_Patch_111608: RSRDC_RFBv15_V396

Last edited by DeepIron; 11-08-08 at 05:58 PM.
DeepIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-08, 06:29 PM   #829
Sledgehammer427
PacWagon

Location: Drinking coffee and staring at trees in Massachusetts
Downloads: 280

I have PMed him before...the only two reasons i can think of for this is

1.i have a cracked windows XP...because the dude i bought [my computer] from is cheap

2. i am NOT connected to the internet, i am at my girlfriends house, she has Vista, and is connected(obviously.)

other than that i did everytrhing textbook perfect
V-boat Nutcase - Need supplies? Japanese garrison on a small island in the way? Just give us a call! D4C!
Sledgehammer427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-08, 04:10 PM   #830
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 114
Uploads: 18

I removed the highlighted node

I removed node 259 after assigning the parent id of the main torpedo node to the node 261, looks like it did the trick and removed the second spinning sub ...

the thing is the 3d model of the torpedo doesn't appear in s3d

I was thinking I could move the different node (propeller etc..) just there but none of the torpedo 3d model show ?

skwasjer, the mod if the kaiten patch on my main filefront page if you'd have time to take a look ?

do you know why the models don't show ?

thanks

keltos

keltos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-08, 04:18 PM   #831
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhayl
Did you try to click on the little camera icon ?
no...

thanks Mikhayl, that did it, but why was the object hidden in the first place????

keltos

Old 11-15-08, 11:37 AM   #832
tater
Navy Seal

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by keltos01

Quote:
no...

thanks Mikhayl, that did it, but why was the object hidden in the first place????

keltos
The objects are not hidden, it's just that some are not built at the default origin as far as I can tell.

BTW, skwas;

Best. Tool. Ever.

As you were.

tater

Last edited by tater; 11-15-08 at 11:38 AM.
tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-08, 07:26 PM   #833
skwasjer
The Old Man

Downloads: 26
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Quote:
no...

keltos
Yea, as tater says, it's not hidden, it's just positioned way of center. In the screenshot I see X = 62, which equals to 620 meters away from the center. That's a long way And by default, S3D focuses on the world origin (0, 0, 0).

There's 7 grid boxes in each direction from the center, where each box is 100 meters. So the torp should be somewhere near the outer most edge... Pan the view and have a look, or use the 'center view' button.

[edit] And one more thing, when creating a new node from scratch, note that the 'visible' flag is unchecked by default. You will have to toggle it on before opening the 3D viewer for it to render it (or otherwise click the 'eye' button). The new S3D will have this behavior changed, where the visible flag is set to on by default.

Last edited by skwasjer; 11-15-08 at 07:56 PM.
skwasjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-08, 07:30 PM   #834
skwasjer
The Old Man

Quote:
Hi Skwas, I think I found a small problem with .zon files, when I try to change the "ArmorLevel" value for a new box item I get this error message:

And it resets to 0 regardless if I click on OK or cancel. If I edit that value for an already existing box item it works fine :hmm:
Thanks for the report, without looking I think I know why...

Last edited by skwasjer; 11-15-08 at 07:30 PM.
Old 11-15-08, 07:37 PM   #835
skwasjer
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer427
I have PMed him before...the only two reasons i can think of for this is

1.i have a cracked windows XP...because the dude i bought [my computer] from is cheap

2. i am NOT connected to the internet, i am at my girlfriends house, she has Vista, and is connected(obviously.)

other than that i did everytrhing textbook perfect
1. I can't verify this because I only test on legit OS's, nor can I provide support in such cases. That said, I doubt every S3D user uses legit Windows.
2. This shouldn't matter, as long as you install the prerequisites. Burn the .NET 2 Framework redistributable and full (offline) DirectX 9c package to a CD and install them before installing S3D. It is important the full package incl. managed extensions is installed. Regular DirectX 9c is not enough.

But I guess I gave this advise last time as well, as well as cleaning up (removing) possible left overs from previous S3D installations:

- The S3D installation folder
- Vista: %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\skwas
XP/2000: %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\skwas
Old 11-15-08, 07:49 PM   #836
skwasjer
The Old Man

Now that I handled the queries, I like to add that I have been tied up the past 2 months with RL. I planned on releasing S3D 0.9.1 some time ago but I never was able to. I've decided to skip this release and work towards v1.0, which will be my final major release. One or two small updates may follow to fix some issues, as the current changelog is just huge, but other than that, I have long reached my goal with this program, and it is time to stop spending more time on it. It's been a long journey and has been with great satisfaction seeing how popular it has become (well over 8000 downloads since v0.5.2 in Dec 2007, although it includes update rounds) in the modding scene and pretty much no more mod made without it.

This is not a goodbye though, I will stick around but just a little more in a corner, where I intend to focus on making some more tutorials and help people out with implementing their ideas, and maybe even pick up some other coding projects I have had interest in.

Don't expect v1.0 soon though, my time is still somewhat limited, so it will take at least a month. But I aim to include the last few things I had planned, a zones editor and import/export of mesh animations, as these are things that are halfway complete by now.

Regards, skwas
Old 11-15-08, 09:47 PM   #837
skwasjer
The Old Man

Quote:
Btw if you have some ideas/directions for S3D tutorials or guides let me know, maybe I can do some for you. I've been thinking of a reference guide of all the different chunk types, what they do, how to use them and order them properly etc.
Yes, a tutorial of all the types of chunks is a very good one as it will help understanding the fundamentals, and I think many modders would love such a document. I'll be happy to provide any input needed from my end.

How about a controller table, where each controller is briefly explained? Not so much each and every property, but just a quick reference guide.

I want to also do some walkthroughs of the UI, but I think this is best done as a video tut, like I've done in the past. Seeing certain actions and tricks done in a video says more than a written tutorial, and it tends to stay longer in memory.

And along the line, some more advanced tuts, like working with keyframe animations (specifically quats is a black box to 99% around here I guess), mesh anims, etc.

I've also got plans to write down the full specification document (byte level), something I've worked on in the past, but this will only be a very technical document, that others can use to write their own full parsers...

Last edited by skwasjer; 11-15-08 at 09:48 PM.
Old 11-16-08, 07:52 AM   #838
skwasjer
The Old Man

Quote:
Controller table would be great too, everytime I work on a mod I discover controllers that I never used before, I have no idea how many there are in total btw ?
For the keyframe animations I found a calculator on the web that converts ° angles in quaternions, with it took me 1 minutes to set new torpedo door anims, when I spent hours and hours without it to setup periscope animations.
http://theworld.com/~sweetser/java/qcalc/qcalc.html
link seems to be dead
The next S3D has a built-in quat calculator (I've been using it cpl of months ago extensively on the fan blade mod ), however, it is still wise to discuss rotation animations in a tutorial, because things like 181 degrees animation must be defined in 3 keyframes as opposed to 2 keyframes, or how do you rotate 360 degrees, or other tricks like I used in my fanblade mod. In this mod, I needed to keep the AO-map to remain in place, yet when doing a full rotation this caused the shadow to rotate along as well. The trick was to make the fan rotate 90deg, so 4x an animation loop equals one full rotation. Visually, the result was that the shadow appears to be dynamic on the fan blades while in truth it's still baked

As far as controllers, I implemented 190 of them (about 10-20 or so are SH3 only or do exist in SH4 but are either obsolete or have different data structure). I think there's 2 or 3 left that I didn't find in any game file (only in .act) and thus didn't implement them as I couldn't verify their data structure in game.

Last edited by skwasjer; 11-16-08 at 08:04 AM.
Old 11-18-08, 02:27 AM   #839
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Hi

If you've read our Kaiten torpedo thread WIP you've noticed we hit a brick wall.

We are trying to add the kaiten 3d model to the torpedo.dat along with the screw model.

sometimes after we append nodes, the existing ones split and lose header etc..

plus : we can't resolve the angles needed for the rotation on the 2 screws, which should be contraroteting btw, when they should be the same as the existing torpedo angles ?

on my FF they is a file with the .obj format for the Kaiten and the latest stuff we did, but maybe it's better to start from the original file.

if you could tell us what to do or insert the nodes for us and set the rotation that would be swell, we mostly don't know what we are doing here..

the problem was, unlike subs, the torpedo .dat uses only 2 different torpedo models for all torpedoes, we need a different one.

why would the rotation have to be different when the screws are only bigger, not different ????

thanks in advance

Keltos

Old 11-18-08, 05:07 AM   #840
skwasjer
The Old Man

Quote:
Hi

If you've read our Kaiten torpedo thread WIP you've noticed we hit a brick wall.

We are trying to add the kaiten 3d model to the torpedo.dat along with the screw model.

sometimes after we append nodes, the existing ones split and lose header etc..

plus : we can't resolve the angles needed for the rotation on the 2 screws, which should be contraroteting btw, when they should be the same as the existing torpedo angles ?

on my FF they is a file with the .obj format for the Kaiten and the latest stuff we did, but maybe it's better to start from the original file.

if you could tell us what to do or insert the nodes for us and set the rotation that would be swell, we mostly don't know what we are doing here..

the problem was, unlike subs, the torpedo .dat uses only 2 different torpedo models for all torpedoes, we need a different one.

why would the rotation have to be different when the screws are only bigger, not different ????

thanks in advance

Keltos
It is a lot easier if you just center the propeller on the z- and/or x-axis in a 3D studio. Then, the rotation parameters are alot easier (start and local position can remain 0,0,0) and do not require to be changed when an object is scaled. If the model is not centered one needs to offset it using the local-position parameter which allows you to shift the center of the object for animation purposes.

PS: the obj-package didn't contain the 2nd prop, and had the 1st prop not centered on the z- and x-axis. I therefor didn't make a working dat. If you provide the max-source file I could have a go at it.