0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-10, 07:58 AM   #1351
pontius
Gunner

Downloads: 26
Uploads: 0

Dongle can be cracked too and I think its annoying.
Edit: Btw. don't we have enough of these threads already?
Old 02-18-10, 08:04 AM   #1352
Lanzfeld
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontius View Post
Dongle can be cracked too and I think its annoying.
I didnt say it couldnt be cracked I said that it is one of the hardest to crack.

and yeah, it is REALLY annoying having that dongle plugged in. Please...why get up in the morning? It is soooo annoying!
Old 02-18-10, 08:07 AM   #1353
ParaB
Chief

Downloads: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanzfeld View Post
The goal was always is to be able to charge a monthly fee in the future to allow access to the game and you cannot do that with a dongle.
This.

It's nothing new that the gaming industry wants to switch over to a subscription-based model in the not-so-far future. The 1st step is tying games into an account system, which also handily prevents the re-selling of games, since we can't have people buying cheap, second-hand games, no Sir!

The whole DRM-issue has really not much to do with copy-protection but all the more with profit maximizing.
Old 02-18-10, 08:07 AM   #1354
pontius
Gunner

Downloads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanzfeld View Post
I didnt say it couldnt be cracked I said that it is one of the hardest to crack.
Great, so we have to wait 1 week more for a crack....
Old 02-18-10, 08:07 AM   #1355
The Enigma
Seer of visions

Downloads: 31

Dongles can be cracked, however it isn't an easy job (depending on the design of that dongle).

Old 02-18-10, 08:08 AM   #1356
Seafireliv
Gunner

Downloads: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordmann View Post
Definitely a Ubi employee.

Nah, just naive. He`ll be whining just like the rest of us when his connections fail and he has to wait hours to get back up then when he phones UBI tech support he gets ignored.

Of course, by then he`s given them his cash and it`ll be too late.
Old 02-18-10, 08:14 AM   #1357
Tennesse
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 3
Default Uplay (DRM)

I currently own 7 titles by UBI. I have watch this forum, read multiple articles, and reviews on other sites. I have also read the UBI Uplay forum. I can now saw that as long as Ubi require Uplay or any other form of internet connection required I will no longer purchase their titles and that includes SH5.
Old 02-18-10, 08:23 AM   #1358
Nisgeis
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffysheap View Post
There are also some conclusions which, while not really obviously flawed, I don't agree with.
I found the same, he just decides something is right and can't see the other side to it. I'll give you an example from the article:

Quote:
In fact piracy of Portal is an interesting case to examine. A quick search on Mininova currently reveals around 30 active torrents for The Orange Box, a game package released in November 2007 of which Portal was a part. For those who don't know, The Orange Box is famous for being one of the best gaming deals of 2007/2008 - five major games in one package (Half Life 2, HL2: Episode 1, HL2: Episode 2, Team Fortress 2, Portal) all for the price of a standard game, distributed via Steam with no intrusive DRM, and receiving nothing but praise from reviewers and gamers alike.
He seems to be unwilling to look at this from the purchaser's point of view. Half Life 2 was billed as being the first part in an episodic series, where each new installment would have a short story and new environments. This was stated as a benefit to the customer, as they could get new content every six months and pay a fraction of the cost of a full title. This was a good idea. Episode One takes much longer than expected to come out, but it's still at a lower price. The fans aren't happy at the delay, but at least they now have HL2 and HL2: Episode One to play.

Then, Episode 2 takes one and a half years to make AND you can't buy it as a standalone product. You HAD to buy it with Portal, TF2, HL2 and HL2: E1. Fans of the series already had two of those games and some were only interested on the Episode Two part, which they had been expecting, as promised at a lower price. So, not much of a bargain now is it? Maybe for people who had NOT SUPPORTED VALVE, it was a great deal, but for those that had, it was a bit of a slap in the face. There was lots of complaining at the time.

I had to wait until The Orange Box came out as a bargain deal. So perhaps the message here is sod supporting the franchise, because they'll screw you over, much better to ignore it and get a great deal because you didn't support the company earlier on.

Looking at Valve again, they released L4D with a promise of more content, but then released L4D2 only a year later and abandonned the L4D game. Another slap in the face for people who supported the company?

It seems that from whichever way you look at you, you are a fool if you are loyal to a publisher, because they'll widdle all over you. Much better, from the consumer's point of view to remain coy, but that isn't good for the publishers - so why do they keep widdling on people?
Old 02-18-10, 08:24 AM   #1359
Ishigami
Navy Dude

Downloads: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by longam View Post
Which proves nothing to me.
UbiSoft themselves said they would interrupt the game at a certain point if the connection is lost so maybe the implementation is just not complete because it is a preview copy (like it could be with AC2 as well btw) or they have a certain threshold for disconnect times which is nice if you have smaller connection issues but wont rescue your day when UbiSofts server is down e.g. for maintenance or whatever reason there is.
And then it still won’t change that your are dependent on an UbiSoft service even for SP experience, it won’t settle down any security concerns and it certainly won’t re-establish my costumer rights.
So I don’t give a damn, it’s there so I don’t buy SH5 and still laugh about Ubi if it gets cracked.

Btw. is Neal writing a preview?
Old 02-18-10, 08:24 AM   #1360
Nisgeis
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by horden View Post
I' have bought all versions of Silent Hunter<SNIP>
Welcome aboard Horden!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesse View Post
I currently own 7 titles by UBI<SNIP>
Welcome aboard Tennesse!
Old 02-18-10, 08:36 AM   #1361
Brag
Navy Seal

Downloads: 2

I just visited Ubi's AC site. The people there are bitching there, too.
I guess, the Ubi forum Gestapo can't deal with the traffic.

Maybe Darkreaver should take his sunshine pump to treat dissidents at the jolly Ubi forums.
Order Kingmaker here: http://www.subsim.com/store.html
For Tactics visit:http://www.freewebs.com/kielman/
Old 02-18-10, 08:42 AM   #1362
Nordmann
Commodore

Downloads: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brag View Post
Maybe Darkreaver should take his sunshine pump to treat dissidents at the jolly Ubi forums.
I got a good laugh out of that one! Honestly, rose tinted glasses do not have the ability to change reality, only your perception of said reality.
Old 02-18-10, 08:42 AM   #1363
horden
Nub

Downloads: 57
Default Connection ,

Are we connected Neal ? nothing to say to my message ?
Old 02-18-10, 08:46 AM   #1364
Brag
Navy Seal

Ubi keeps changing the name. From DRM to OSP, now It's Uplay. What's the matter with them, are they nervous?

My suggestion:

Take a donkey, paint stripes on it, then call it a zebra. When that doesn't work, call it a DRMedary. When that doesn't work go to the OSPital for brain surgery.
Old 02-18-10, 08:50 AM   #1365
Brag
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaB View Post
This.

It's nothing new that the gaming industry wants to switch over to a subscription-based model in the not-so-far future. The 1st step is tying games into an account system, which also handily prevents the re-selling of games, since we can't have people buying cheap, second-hand games, no Sir!

The whole DRM-issue has really not much to do with copy-protection but all the more with profit maximizing.
There is a difference between profit maximizing and fleecing the customer.
Closed Thread