SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-03-18, 04:15 PM   #6616
MANoWAR.U52
Loader

Downloads: 97
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldjs View Post
"most definitive version" ?
IMHP, the best version available, and continuing to be improved!
Most definitive right now I mean. Good to see that the community is still working on it
MANoWAR.U52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-18, 07:59 PM   #6617
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANoWAR.U52 View Post
So FOTRS is now the most definitive version of SH4 right?

Can't say it is the most definitive, but it sure darn close. Let's put it this way, no other mega-mod has a number of submarines that you encounter. If you get to close they will turn on you and fire torpedoes. it is so cool to look through your PS and see one of them in your sights.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-18, 10:33 PM   #6618
Cybermat47
Willing Webfooted Beast

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 22

Speaking of which, where can we encounter the IJN and KM subs? Hoping to bag one some time
Old 10-04-18, 01:04 AM   #6619
MANoWAR.U52
Loader

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
... wait until you see this next version fellers... - We have to have a couple fellers vote for their choice on a certain aspect of the game, then have CapnScurvy bolt the intake manifold down, hand it off to Rockin Robbins for the Nitrous Oxide tanks to be filled, and a~way~ we GO!
Are chances hight that the new version might not be savegame compatible with current FOTRSU campaigns? I´m planning to start a new epic campaign today but I also have some Combat Mission campaigns and a SH5 TWOS playthrough waiting for me, so if savegames could break I would postpone FOTRSU until the new version.
Old 10-04-18, 06:51 AM   #6620
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybermat47 View Post
Speaking of which, where can we encounter the IJN and KM subs? Hoping to bag one some time
Several files contain subs, most of which are RGG (Random Generated Group), which means you just never know when they'll pop-up. Always be ready, because they can be aggressive.

Quote:
Are chances hight that the new version might not be savegame compatible with current FOTRSU campaigns? I´m planning to start a new epic campaign today but I also have some Combat Mission campaigns and a SH5 TWOS playthrough waiting for me, so if savegames could break I would postpone FOTRSU until the new version.
All mods should be considered as not being backwards compatible with previous versions of itself, which would preclude the use of any older Saved game. Even the smallest of change can cause issues, and this next version will not be an exception. The mod is still 'beta', and as such, is still subject to drastic changes. There are several Type= changes in the mod that would cause you a CTD if using a previous Save. Do the Patrols or Missions, if you're concerned about losing your progress in a career, though when you do start a new career in the new version, we definitely want your feedback.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-18, 07:37 AM   #6621
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
…......the new version might not be savegame compatible with current FOTRSU campaigns?
Yes, that's right.

Besides what propbeanie stated regarding the "Type" changes in the mod for ship designations, other changes to files with extensions like ".upc" don't mix together from one version to another. Nor do they mix together from one mod to another (TMO to RFB). You should never reuse a saved game point when changing mods, or even changing "versions" of the same mod. Too many file changes will screw up the use of a previous saved game, causing everything from specific processes not to work, to a CTD during play.

A player should delete his Documents/SH4 folder often when applying different mods to his game (Changing from TMO to Ultimate, or RFB to Stock), and realize the saved games he's deleting will only hurt overall game play if their used with modified files that they were not intended to be used with.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-18, 08:30 AM   #6622
MANoWAR.U52
Loader

got it
Old 10-04-18, 02:47 PM   #6623
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Patrolled (version .71) to north of Truk early '43 from Midway( patrol Carolinas search and destroy mission). Proceeded to Guam Jan 14 '43 and viewed harbor with external camera and see this;

ANyone else report this crazy ship spawning?
yeah, i have encountered those. i cant find the screen capture at the moment.

did you attempt to sink one or more of them?

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-18, 10:00 AM   #6624
Caustic
Torpedoman

Downloads: 362
Uploads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Several files contain subs, most of which are RGG (Random Generated Group), which means you just never know when they'll pop-up. Always be ready, because they can be aggressive.

All mods should be considered as not being backwards compatible with previous versions of itself, which would preclude the use of any older Saved game. Even the smallest of change can cause issues, and this next version will not be an exception. The mod is still 'beta', and as such, is still subject to drastic changes. There are several Type= changes in the mod that would cause you a CTD if using a previous Save. Do the Patrols or Missions, if you're concerned about losing your progress in a career, though when you do start a new career in the new version, we definitely want your feedback.

Something I have been looking forward to for a long time is the inclusion of a more refined Natural Sinking Mechanics type mod. I think RFB tried to do this but failed miserably. It turns out that making ships harder to sink by giving them more HP and preventing them from having critical hits just makes the game tedious and boring. As well the game simply breaks in most cases.

With the years of modding experience behind you I think you could finish Werner's vision for a balanced and complete dynamic sinking physics mod.

Regards
Old 10-05-18, 06:22 PM   #6625
jldjs
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Icon9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark bonamer View Post
yeah, i have encountered those. i cant find the screen capture at the moment.

did you attempt to sink one or more of them?
No, I thought it might be a monster that would follow my torpedo tracks back to my sub and devour me!
Old 10-05-18, 08:12 PM   #6626
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
No, I thought it might be a monster that would follow my torpedo tracks back to my sub and devour me!
oh you are such a kidder.

LAA enabled
Old 10-06-18, 03:07 AM   #6627
Bleiente
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
You never really know...

http://translate.google.com/translat...Fantasien.html

Old 10-06-18, 07:44 AM   #6628
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Default SH Validator

hey pb or strikeback (or anyone else for that matter),

when you run SH Validator and receive this message how do you typically respond?

i ask because i have tried it both ways and do not see a difference in the results.
thanks.
mb

LAA enabled
Old 10-06-18, 01:22 PM   #6629
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

That kind of an asset does not have all of the files that a ship or airplane would, so you can tell it to add it to the list of ignores just fine. All it does is add an entry to the SHVaidatorSH4.cfg file for the next time you run Validator. If you are concerned with all of the Ignores necessary to get through a run, you can always place "empty" text files in the folders with those names, and voilà, no more dialog pop-up - or just do the ignore...

If you happen to find that dialog pointing at a ship, plane or sub, do NOT ignore it... Just remember that Validator does not find all of the errors, since it only scans a portion of the files. It also will not save campaign errors to the log file it creates, so be sure and look at the program's read-out screen and copy off of it to supplement the log file. Also, it will not scan the German side of the game... it is a tool, not a toolbox...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-18, 07:12 PM   #6630
suitednate
Planesman

Downloads: 43
Default Sonar sounds and using Sonar to send info to TDC

Hello,

I’m noticing a lot of instances where I can’t hear the sounds of vessels on the sonar. The map says the sound bearing is there but when I go to the sonar itself, there is no sound. This is a bug right? Also I try to target sometimes using an active ping to get the range and bearing and then send the info to the TDC. I then wait anywhere from 30s to a couple min and do it again and for some reason they can’t give me a speed estimate when I click on that in the TDC? Shouldn’t I be able to get a speed estimate from this process?

Thank you all for your help.
suitednate is offline   Reply With Quote