SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-24-15, 10:04 AM   #1
Professor M
Sailor man

Downloads: 55
Uploads: 2
Default SH3 and Windows 8.1

Having enjoyed SH3 for many years on a slow pc I finally decided to invest in a new machine that (unfortunately) came with Windows 8.1. Having installed the programme I find that it will not run and checked on the Microsoft website here https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/wind...patcenter/home only to find that it is not compatible. When I click the desktop icon I get no further than the disc check (Starforce check?). Has anyone actually got it to run on Windows 8.1 and if so can you let me know how to achieve it? Usually, I run SH3 GWX 3.0 Gold with mods via JSGME and opened with SH3 Commander. However, the initial installation that I attempted was just the stock version of the SH3 DVD (UK Version).
Professor M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-15, 11:20 AM   #2
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I'm running SH3 with GWX and a load of mods on 8.1 with no problem.

Where do you have it installed? Modern versions of Windows don't like having things not made by them installed in the Program Files folders. I followed the instructions of others and created a new folder on the main drive. In my case the installation path reads C:/Windows/Steve's Stuff/Games/Ubisoft/GWX (I have different installations labelled according to what supermod is installed). As I said, it works fine.
Old 02-24-15, 12:27 PM   #3
pedalboat
A-ganger

Downloads: 130
Uploads: 0

I'm writing here based only on my own experience.
SH3 is a portable game. Once you install it, leave it as it is or compress it.
Then you can move the game over to another location or operating system.
It worked for me in Windows XP, Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 without problem.
Note: My game came with a magazine and without the starforce protection, version 1.4b.
pedalboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-15, 07:09 PM   #4
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi Prof M

Check out my tutorial post #150

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=211804

This will give you some of the different versions.

Ideally you want a black and white dvd rather than black and silver.

Peter

THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-15, 07:53 PM   #5
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Welcome to SUBSIM Professor M

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-15, 09:39 AM   #6
Professor M
Sailor man

wolf_howl15 Still no joy

Thanks to those of you that responded.

Pedalboat: I am not sure that a copy and paste of the folder(s) would actually generate an installation so, with respect, I will hold onto that idea for now.

Sailor Steve and Bl!tzGr!eg: I was looking for a solution to a problem with W8.1 and started looking by carrying out a search using the terms "Silent Hunter 3 & Windows 8.1" but the search facility did not come up with the thread that you referred to. Perhaps the text was the reason. However, thank you for the link - no need to feel "redundant" - I read through the list and thought item number 05 would sort things out. Starting from the point that says

"Begin SH3 Installation:
05. Begin installation of SH3 as normal.......

I followed the instructions to the letter (I believe) but got "1628: Failed to complete installation" message at the very last stage of the installation. So, when I tried to start SH3 (stock) I got another message that read "Movietex.act is missing from your computer". In case I had followed the instruction 05. in error I removed everything and tried again with the same result.

Sailor Steve: was it B!tzgr!eg's instructions that you followed or was it from somewhere else? If so, could you include a link to that source? I would be very grateful, but I would understand if you cannot recall.

I spent the rest of the day reinstalling the game, successfully, on my older XP machine but I would still like to get it running with the W8.1 for reasons of smoother play, quality and of longevity, who knows when my old pc will end up in "robot heaven".

I must add that the the link for the no disc start up "NO DVD rld-sh14.rar" that Google led me to (as per step 12.) was "http://www.carlypress.co.uk/no-dvd-rld-sh14-rar-download-jb33r". I was not confident with this source. A link to a known reliable source would be appreciated.

RealyDedPoet: Thanks for the greeting. I have actually been a member for quite some time (2009, I think) but lost my previous account when I tried to change my personal details. So here I am, back in the bilge.

Very gratefully,

Professor M
Old 02-27-15, 02:38 PM   #7
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor M View Post
Sailor Steve: was it B!tzgr!eg's instructions that you followed or was it from somewhere else? If so, could you include a link to that source? I would be very grateful, but I would understand if you cannot recall.
I just typed in 'Windows' in Subsim's Advanced Search function and got this (what works for 7 works for 8).
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=150997

But mostly I was referring to things I've read here over the past several years.

First, create a new folder in the main 'C' drive (Jimbuna uses his 'D' drive with no problems, so that's also an option. I gave the exact path I use in my previous post.

Second, when you install SH3 and it asks you where you want to place it, use the 'Browse' button to find your exact folder. Any mods you put in later must follow the same path.

That's all there is to it.

Quote:
I must add that the the link for the no disc start up "NO DVD rld-sh14.rar" that Google led me to (as per step 12.) was "http://www.carlypress.co.uk/no-dvd-rld-sh14-rar-download-jb33r". I was not confident with this source. A link to a known reliable source would be appreciated.
I'm using a more modern disc purchased a few years ago (2011 I think). There is no searching for a 'no-disc' option, because that is all built into the newer version. Sorry I can't help you there.
Old 03-10-15, 10:32 AM   #8
Professor M
Sailor man

Default SH3 Now Working With Windows 8.1

Thanks for your replies and ideas. I tried the "create a new folder and install to it" as described by several of you, Sailor Steve in particular, but in each of the 3 or 4 attempts I still got the message "1628: Failed to complete installation" at the final stage of the install.

I then tried Pedalboat's idea, as I thought I had nothing to loose. I had a freshly installed working version on an WXP OS machine. I made sure that it was patched to 1.4b & GWX 3.0 Gold updated. I simply copied the "Silent Hunter" folder contents to the new folder that I had created on the W8.1 machine (C:\SH3) and rebooted it. I then attempted to run the SH3.exe but this time I got the disc check warning that SH3 was designed to run on W95, 98SE etc. (i.e. not W8.1) so it would not start up. The solution was to copy the 5 files from the "No Disc" patch that I had so that it would ignore the disc. It then fired up for the first time. I then installed SH3 Commander, added some more mod's, ran JSGME and started the game from SH3 Commander successfully.

I hope that this may help others that may have difficulties in SH3 installation after following the instructions that seem to work for many others.

"There is a solution to every problem, the fun is finding it!"

Thanks, again.

Prof M
Old 03-10-15, 10:39 AM   #9
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

Professor M!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-15, 10:53 AM   #10
pedalboat
A-ganger

Professor M, I'm glad to know that you now can play SH3 in Windows 8.1, which in my opinion runs the game even better than Windows 7.
Old 03-10-15, 01:57 PM   #11
RushTheBus
Engineer

Downloads: 211

FWIW i had to run int XP Service Pack 3 compatibility mode otherwise when i attempted to start the game i received an engine error (never tried in Windows 7 compatibility mode).
RushTheBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-15, 07:17 PM   #12
pedalboat
A-ganger

Played SH3 v1.4b in Windows XP, Windows 7 x64 and Windows 8.1 x64 without problem so far all these years.
I've just installed original stock SH3 in my old Windows XP-based computer, then compressed it to RAR (less than 1 Gigabyte). Used a pendrive to keep the big file. Then moved it to 8.1 and decompressed it to the system root directory (C. Also to a data partition, without problem.
I think all the fuss when trying to install SH3 are because of a protected .exe and their associated files or having a steamk version of the game.
Old 03-10-15, 07:21 PM   #13
pedalboat
A-ganger

I forgot to say that I got rid of the movies in NavalAcademy. That's why the rar file was less than 1 Gigabyte.
Old 03-17-15, 12:26 PM   #14
Professor M
Sailor man

SHO Adendum

I feel that I should add that I did have a few times when the game refused to load but I have since ensured that both SH3.exe and SH Commander.exe (just to be on the safe side) are set to run in XPSP3 compatibility mode and set to "Run as administrator" - as recommended by many others.

Yesterday I could not load a saved game so I loaded the previous save OK. The problem save was definitely made on the surface but I could not swear that there were no surface ships in view. I will be watching out for this but if it is a problem that repeats itself I will join an existing thread on this matter or start a fresh thread.

If you have trouble loading a saved game you might try loading the save prior to the last game saved. I am not sure why this should happen but the word on this site recommends not saving when submerged and if you are having trouble reloading a saved game (saved when surfaced) it is safest to save when no surface ship is spotted. Others may have the explanation for this.

Happy hunting all!

The Prof'
Old 03-17-15, 02:30 PM   #15
danasan
Elite Spam Hunter

Downloads: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor M View Post

SNIP

Yesterday I could not load a saved game so I loaded the previous save OK. The problem save was definitely made on the surface but I could not swear that there were no surface ships in view. I will be watching out for this but if it is a problem that repeats itself I will join an existing thread on this matter or start a fresh thread.

SNIP

The Prof'
Your saves are still kept in C:\Users\Me\My docs\...

Please make sure that you grant "write permission" to that folder by right - clicking that folder --- properties --- and uncheck "read only" --- this can help in a lot of cases...

"I invite you to go inside this submergible hole in the water where you can nicely hide from destroyers."
danasan is offline   Reply With Quote