SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-12-18, 11:50 AM   #6571
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1110
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybermat47 View Post
Thanks, greatly appreciated. I think that the J-class would be a perfect substitute for the N-class. I’m not sure if the RAN livery should be any different from the RN’s, though, so no need to worry about that.

Just one more thing I’ve noticed, by the way. The Type XVIII U-Boat’s conning tower is textureless, and now is just a black blob. I realise that FOTRS is first and foremost a US sub mod, and the XVIII won’t be turning up in any careers, but I thought you’d want to know
Could you also give us a date, when you encountered this please ?
Old 09-12-18, 06:10 PM   #6572
Cybermat47
Willing Webfooted Beast

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7rikeback View Post
Could you also give us a date, when you encountered this please ?
In the museum, and in a single mission set on June 19th, 1944, and a war patrol set on August 12th, 1944.
Old 09-12-18, 07:01 PM   #6573
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Gotcha:

and it's texture file:

and you're probably expecting something more like this:

Mayhaps the FotRSU version is just a pinch too dark? If doesn't match the rest of the boat, but maybe it's supposed to be some super-hi-tech coating?? I dunno, I'm no expert on much of nuttin'...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-18, 01:04 PM   #6574
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1110
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Gotcha:

and it's texture file:

and you're probably expecting something more like this:

Mayhaps the FotRSU version is just a pinch too dark? If doesn't match the rest of the boat, but maybe it's supposed to be some super-hi-tech coating?? I dunno, I'm no expert on much of nuttin'...
Now I see it, I think my monitor is set to bright on the desktop system.

Swapped the texture from stock into place...

PS: The guns have their own texture files.
Old 09-14-18, 02:44 PM   #6575
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Uploads: 0
Default Propbeanie - Mission Start Problem

Still in career mode that I started a month or more ago. USS Balao at Midway on Aug. 2, 1944. Receive orders to transport an intelligence agent to coast of China, near Yancheng, departing on Aug. 16, 1944.

Upon starting the mission, checking the Outside Harbor departure point, mission starts to load (load progress goes to about 1/4 the distance) screen blacks out and gives "Silent Hunter IV has stopped working..." message. Upon acknowledging that it drops back to desktop.

I have tried rebooting, turning off PC and unplugging, starting from the dock instead of outside the harbor, running the game with and without Game Booster, always getting the same results.

Something is amiss. Can you check the files?

EDIT: This would have been the 10th Mission out of Midway since transferring from Pearl Harbor. Tried loading the 9th mission again (depart Midway 6/25 @ 0032h for Area Abuse) - loaded just fine!

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All

Last edited by torpedobait; 09-14-18 at 02:52 PM.
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-18, 04:57 PM   #6576
propbeanie

Quote:
USS Balao at Midway on Aug. 2, 1944. Receive orders to transport an intelligence agent to coast of China, near Yancheng, departing on Aug. 16, 1944
Got it - brb...

Edit: Ratz... gorfot... Midway in v0.71 after June of 44 can be a bit of a bother... there is a Task Force probably spawned into your location... It is moved in the new version to be North and East of Midway to start, and to not travel through the shallows of where the subs spawn. cdrsubron7 had that same thing a while back too. The misison is "Insertion Spy East China Sea 02", and all that is in it is a MapZone for the drop. Nothing else, so no issues with it... Do you get to the "No Mission Too Difficult" box, or does it "bomb" as the bar gets to about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way, as it's loading?

Hopefully, this next version passes our muster. This is the fourth attempt we're working on now...

Last edited by propbeanie; 09-14-18 at 05:13 PM. Reason: gorfot ratz
Old 09-15-18, 10:05 AM   #6577
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Got it - brb...

Do you get to the "No Mission Too Difficult" box, or does it "bomb" as the bar gets to about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way, as it's loading?
I get the crash almost immediately in the loading - the bar is barely 1/8 the way across when it stops, then comes the crash.

There being no way around this particular mission in the v0.71 I'm going to try to take a transfer from the office to the Asiatic Fleet and see if I can get by it this way. Will I run into that mission limit again? Probably. Sigh.
I know there is no need to salvage the career, since I'll have to trash it when the next version is released, but I'm a stubborn guy.

IMPORTANT EDIT: I took a transfer on 8/2/44 to Asiatic Fleet at Perth-Fremantle; Got same mission. Where-to-leave-from page showed I was leaving from Perth-Fremantle; same crash, same place!

Tried it again, this time taking a transfer to Pearl Harbor. Got same mission. Where-to-leave-from page showed I was leaving from Pearl Harbor; same crash, same place!

The problem would appear to be in the mission, not the starting point or any fleet spawning in the shallows.

Last edited by torpedobait; 09-15-18 at 10:45 AM.
Old 09-15-18, 12:18 PM   #6578
propbeanie

We'll have to have aanker, or one of the other Save Data fellows come give you a hand. Art has discussed before that even when you transfer, it still takes you to the same place, ~then~ you start with the next round after you finish what you had. It might be that someone knows how to wipe that particular assignment out. I've double-triple-checked that mission out, and it is fine. All it has is a MapZone that you go to and drop a fellow off. One Objective, one map zone, one mission briefing in a TSR file, and that's it. There might be a particular ship that is trying to spawn in one of the layers, but since it is now in the game's automatic assignment and saved, you are stuck for now. But don't dump it all just yet. We'll see if aanker can get you going.

Edit: btw, have you tried to depart Midway from the dock / tender?...

Last edited by propbeanie; 09-15-18 at 12:22 PM. Reason: tender
Old 09-15-18, 02:54 PM   #6579
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Quote:

Edit: btw, have you tried to depart Midway from the dock / tender?...
Yes. I tried that at Pearl. Same results. Sorry to give you yet another headache!

Old 09-15-18, 03:33 PM   #6580
captcrane
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 184

Ahoy torpedobait this is from a post I read awhile back hope it helps

crash while loading (all) savegames: Here's how to fix it!
All (both) my savegames crashed during loading, I thought my career was done for. However, here is the fix:

- Create a new profile (ideally with the same name, same nation)
- Return to main menu after office screen appeared
- Copy the "ActiveUserPlayerUnits.upc" and "CareerTrack.upc" to the new save file
- You're done: All your career progress has been carried over

Hope this helps if somebody runs into the same isssue.

Best,
Brett
Last edited by Brett Sinclair; 03-27-2018 at 07:14 AM.

Good luck
captcrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-18, 04:03 PM   #6581
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by captcrane View Post
Ahoy torpedobait this is from a post I read awhile back hope it helps

crash while loading (all) savegames: Here's how to fix it!
All (both) my savegames crashed during loading, I thought my career was done for. However, here is the fix:

- Create a new profile (ideally with the same name, same nation)
- Return to main menu after office screen appeared
- Copy the "ActiveUserPlayerUnits.upc" and "CareerTrack.upc" to the new save file
- You're done: All your career progress has been carried over

Hope this helps if somebody runs into the same isssue.

Best,
Brett
Last edited by Brett Sinclair; 03-27-2018 at 07:14 AM.

Good luck

I appreciate the input, but loading a save game doesn't appear to be the problem. I am able to load saved games. My process is to always save from the Office after updating the crew (promotions and medals), and adding any available equipment. I then load that Save to ensure it was valid before starting the next mission.

The Save game taken while in the office on 8/2/44 loads just fine. In fact, I can go back to previous saves in the career and load them, and can successfully restart those patrols. It's when I attempt to go to the next mission/Patrol that starts on 8/16/44 to deliver an agent to China that the problem arises. When I actually launch the mission (leave from port or outside the harbor) that the game crashes. It just does not seem to want to load that next mission. This happens even if I load the save game in the office, choose a transfer, and then start a new mission. It always gives the same new mission, and then crashes when I try to start it. The Starting New Mission screen starts, the load progress indicator starts to move across the screen, but the game shuts down totally as the progress bar gets about 1/4 the way to completion.

I really do appreciate your help, and I will try the suggested method if all else fails, but I still don't think the Save Game is the problem. Of course, I've been wrong before (I think, maybe).

Old 09-15-18, 05:48 PM   #6582
propbeanie

The problem is that the game assigns your next mission before you get into the Captain's office to start said mission. This is why that no matter where you transfer to, you will get the same mission assignment. The game is stuck on itself like that. If someone knows how to change the assignment, that might work. But until then, the game will want to assign you that particular mission, with the same exact results... Kim Ronhof's TBox (outside link) might be able to do the trick, but I am ignorant of how it might work. aanker is rather familiar with it...

Old 09-16-18, 10:39 AM   #6583
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
The problem is that the game assigns your next mission before you get into the Captain's office to start said mission. This is why that no matter where you transfer to, you will get the same mission assignment. The game is stuck on itself like that. If someone knows how to change the assignment, that might work. But until then, the game will want to assign you that particular mission, with the same exact results... Kim Ronhof's TBox (outside link) might be able to do the trick, but I am ignorant of how it might work. aanker is rather familiar with it...
Ok, so without doing some mickey-mousing on my own, is this going to be a continuing problem in future releases? I've run careers to the end of the war in previous versions of SH4, but not yet in v0.71. Seems like I'm stuck and have no option within the existing v0.71 but to start a new career.

Old 09-16-18, 09:12 PM   #6584
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Default Airplanes in UBoat Missions

To avoid complete boredom while waiting for the next FOTARSU release (not complaining, mind you) I decided to start a German career and run the Uboat missions that come with FOTARSU. First mission out of Singapore in June 1943 had me deliver some vital supplies to Tokyo, which I did without incident, if you don't count the numerous Allied aircraft encountered in the middle of the Philippine Sea, that is. They were frequent enough, and radar equipped, so that we were constantly diving, day and night. Where the heck did they come from, and in such numbers? This was way before taking the Marianas and over a year from the invasion of the Philippines.

Anyway, on the way back to Singapore, I decided to avoid the Philippine Sea and routed the boat through the Luzon Strait and into the South China Sea. Now I know in mid-1943 the allies had no bases stocked with B-24's and PBY Catalinas within a reasonable distance of the South China Sea. Yet we encountered one every 2 hours or so, sometimes two or three at a time, smack in the middle of that area. Almost invariably they were vectoring straight at us, or close enough their operators found us.

I thought no one has messed with the Uboat missions in FOTARSU. If that is true, then the devil himself programed the anti-Uboat air missions!

Feel better now, thanks!

Old 09-17-18, 09:53 AM   #6585
propbeanie

The FotRSU team hasn't touched the German files(other than previously mentioned), but that's not to say that the AOTD_MadMax team didn't ~and~ don't forget that the game only has the one set of files in the "cfg" folder. As in the Fleetboat side, that would mean that "once spotted, always seen" ability of the air 'defenses' apply. For another aspect of the problem, open either the US or Jap AirCover.mis file in the ME, and look at how big those 'circles' are that signify the air coverages of the various fields... Maximum range for every plane apparently, and they seemingly don't care if they expend all of their fuel while making their bee line to your boat... btw - All of the pilots are mathematical geniuses at trigonometry, geometry & algebra, and minored in physics during officer's flight training school...

The plan for FotRSU is to have NO mod-induced issues whatsoever. An impossible task, but we want to be closer to that goal than anyone previously has been. Having CapnScurvy on the team puts us a good distance toward that lofty plateau. He is a stickler for detail - besides being highly skilled at getting the game to do things better, and more accurately... Our collective fingers & toes are crossed for the current working version - which I don't want to 'jinx' by talking too much about. But thanks to the guinea pigs - er, testers, we are several steps closer!