SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-09-08, 10:27 AM   #946
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171
Uploads: 0

Quote:
PS2: I have no problem doing binary compares. Maybe try different programs?
Don't get me wrong Skwas, I love your program and finally getting used to it but when I compare files the offset causes a lot of problems, you mention using a different program, could you please elaborate on that!
Thanks.

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-08, 10:40 AM   #947
Redwine
Sea Lord

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwasjer
People, you shouldn't be mixing MT and S3D even if I had put the copyright at the back. S3D is a far more advanced program than anything available, and allows full manipulation of any file (insertion/removal of data, like labels/strings/textures/chunks) and thus pretty much ANY file saved by S3D can't be trusted with MT (regardless of where I save the signature). This is why I save it in front, so I am sure people can't mix it, but also so I can keep track of versions used by everyone, and it helps a little getting more exposure too (to those still unaware of it's existance, and alot of modders even forget to mention me).

I respect all the work that has been done in the past on other free tools, but don't ask me to support them too. Making S3D is hard enough as it is. And it is designed as a program that is usable for both new and experienced modders, but sometimes you just can't please everyone. I'm getting a bit sick of the whole 'programs of old age' and 'hex' vs S3D thing by now. If you want to stick with those tools, fine, but don't complain at me or my work. Remember how it was 'before' S3D...

Respect my descision (and reasoning) and leave the signature in when you release a mod. You may not realise it but it has saved me, you and hundreds of other modders a whole lot of trouble already.

Thanks.

PS: No, I won't be generating tweakfiles from S3D. There's more interesting features to work on.
Your Program is great Skwasjer..

The matter is another program like Crush Depth Mod, wich allows to easy change crush depth, range on surface, range submerged, draft, do not works any more.

The most rare problem is, those files wich cant be managed any more by TimeTraveller's Programs, assumed tweaked by your Program, because they can be managed by S 3Ditor successful, somo times, in some rare cases, do not pick up the personalized textures into the "tex" folder, enforcing a repack of the new texture into the .dat file... here Sh 3 Unpacker is usseless too, enforcing the use of Silent 3Ditor.

The matter is... some textures for some of the files, into "tex" folder become usseless

Happened to me in this days with some sub camos from a mega mod.

Any idea about it ?

Thanks in advance !
Redwine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-08, 02:21 PM   #948
skwasjer
The Old Man

Downloads: 26
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece
Quote:
Don't get me wrong Skwas, I love your program and finally getting used to it but when I compare files the offset causes a lot of problems, you mention using a different program, could you please elaborate on that!
Thanks.
Reece, I use HexCmp and it works a treat. You can even align the data in both views, by providing an offset if you want to (in which case you'd provide the length of S3D's signature + 1). I've seen other software that does the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwine
Your Program is great Skwasjer..

The matter is another program like Crush Depth Mod, wich allows to easy change crush depth, range on surface, range submerged, draft, do not works any more.

The most rare problem is, those files wich cant be managed any more by TimeTraveller's Programs, assumed tweaked by your Program, because they can be managed by S 3Ditor successful, somo times, in some rare cases, do not pick up the personalized textures into the "tex" folder, enforcing a repack of the new texture into the .dat file... here Sh 3 Unpacker is usseless too, enforcing the use of Silent 3Ditor.

The matter is... some textures for some of the files, into "tex" folder become usseless

Happened to me in this days with some sub camos from a mega mod.

Any idea about it ?

Thanks in advance !
If authors of other programs are still around I encourage them to contact me so I can provide them info on how to work around the signature. It's fairly easy. If not, then I can't do much about it. As stated, use of hardcoded file offsets is a big no, and one should keep as far away as possible from such programs (to minimize headaches, CTD's and whatnot).

As far as texture problems, I am not aware of any problem that S3D introduces regarding this, other then errors on the modders part. If you suspect something is wrong, you can file in a bugreport (in the S3D thread) with sample material for me to check. I'll be happy to check it out...

Please use the S3D thread for further queries. This is about DD's fine Open Hatch mod
skwasjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-08, 06:53 AM   #949
SquareSteelBar
Sea Lord

Downloads: 618

That's the price of progress when some tools get obsolete...
SquareSteelBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-08, 07:22 AM   #950
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

Quote:
Reece, I use HexCmp and it works a treat. You can even align the data in both views, by providing an offset if you want to (in which case you'd provide the length of S3D's signature
Hey thanks Skwas, I'm downloading the trial to check it out!

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-08, 07:36 AM   #951
Redwine
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwasjer

Please use the S3D thread for further queries. This is about DD's fine Open Hatch mod
If you switch a page back, you will see DD's Open Hatch Mod is the reason of this conversation about your program.
Old 08-19-08, 01:27 AM   #952
DivingDuck
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 1

Moin Redwine,

thanks for your report. You are the first to report the interior objects disappearing.
The yellow ring and some other issues have been brought to my attention by Cheapskate already. I´ve made a fix for them, that was tested by Cheapskate successfully. Maybe this will fix your problem too. Grab it here: http://files.filefront.com/DD+OH+V21.../fileinfo.html (only needed for WAC users)
FYI, the yellow ring appears only, if my wooden speed boat is installed. As it is part of WAC, you´ll see the ring, because the bulkhead (incorporated to block the lights and prevent them from shining through the walls) calls a texture using the same id than the speed boat´s position lights. This issue is definitely fixed. The included *.sim files fix some equipment node related problems and may possibly get you rid of that strange bug too.

Regards,
DD
DivingDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-08, 06:23 AM   #953
Redwine
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivingDuck
Moin Redwine,

thanks for your report. You are the first to report the interior objects disappearing.
The yellow ring and some other issues have been brought to my attention by Cheapskate already. I´ve made a fix for them, that was tested by Cheapskate successfully. Maybe this will fix your problem too. Grab it here: http://files.filefront.com/DD+OH+V21.../fileinfo.html (only needed for WAC users)
FYI, the yellow ring appears only, if my wooden speed boat is installed. As it is part of WAC, you´ll see the ring, because the bulkhead (incorporated to block the lights and prevent them from shining through the walls) calls a texture using the same id than the speed boat´s position lights. This issue is definitely fixed. The included *.sim files fix some equipment node related problems and may possibly get you rid of that strange bug too.

Regards,
DD
Many thanks for quick response... DivingDuck !!

I will try that fix as soon i was able to download, fileFront seems to be busy.

About this strange issue, i found it on a type VIIC, but if not remember bad, i seen it on a type IX too, i was on job over the tyep IX files, changing them for others, and editing them manually, because seems to be a conflict between editing programs, seems to woirks fine now... i cant repeat almost up to today the problem on a type IX.

The issue over type VII, goes out using the WAC files... wich contains the hatch opened, but not the yellow interior lights and the dark ambient illumination.

I was reading to edit them manually, but now, i will try your fix first.

Many thanks for job !

Last edited by Redwine; 08-19-08 at 07:10 AM.
Old 08-19-08, 07:13 AM   #954
Redwine
Sea Lord

Well two quick single missions played... the same where i found the issue... Gibraltar stock mission with type VIIC 1941 asigned by stock mission by default.

Fix for WAC 3.0 users seems to works fine... !

I will report any new...

Thousand of thanks !

Last edited by Redwine; 08-19-08 at 05:07 PM.
Old 08-20-08, 07:12 AM   #955
Cheapskate
XO

Downloads: 47

Hi Redwine
I am glad to hear everything seems to be working properly for you!
As DD said, I did some testing on OH_V2 with WAC 3.0.
The patches worked perfectly with most subs but there were seven variants that I could not get to load.
However, I'm confident that DD's patches were not at fault here. These files would not run with only WAC3.0 loaded!
As these difficulties are concerned with WAC3.0 only and in case you may be interested, I'll post a more detailed report over on the WAC3.0 sticky thread.
Rgds
CSkate
Cheapskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-08, 10:47 AM   #956
Redwine
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapskate
Hi Redwine
I am glad to hear everything seems to be working properly for you!
As DD said, I did some testing on OH_V2 with WAC 3.0.
The patches worked perfectly with most subs but there were seven variants that I could not get to load.
However, I'm confident that DD's patches were not at fault here. These files would not run with only WAC3.0 loaded!
As these difficulties are concerned with WAC3.0 only and in case you may be interested, I'll post a more detailed report over on the WAC3.0 sticky thread.
Rgds
CSkate
The fix seems to works fine... no more problems up to right now.

There are two ways to fix it on WAC 3.0 .... almost is how it worked fine for me...

The use of the fix, wich includes V2 files with the new 3D interior for type VII, the yellow lights and dark ambient/enviroment... no yeloow ring.

Or... the use of the V1 files, wich DO NOT includes the new 3D interior for type VII, the yellow lights and dark ambient/enviroment... and having the yellow ring.

Many thanks for help...
Old 08-21-08, 01:04 AM   #957
U-snafu
XO

Downloads: 28

Hello DivingDuck,

I'm not using WAC but GWX 2.1 with the open hatch JSGME'd in. But I did add your docked speed boat to my data sea & roster folders then scripted some docked speed boats into my harbor traffic. Currently in the IIA w/ no probs but I'm assuming since I added the speed boat I'll have the same issues as the Wac users when I progress to the VII? Will the patch you posted above work with GWX or is it WAC exclusive?

PS: Short off topic----been gone awhile---did you ever finish your floating Marina project (interlocking wooden piers for the harbours)? I might have overlooked it on your site or has it become a wash?

Regards,
Snafu
Old 08-21-08, 03:13 AM   #958
DivingDuck
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 1

Moin,

@Redwine:
glad it worked.

@Chepskate:
thanks again for your help.

@U-snafu:
the patch will work with all other installations too.
Regarding the floating marina, it was suspended again and again. The work for GWX was pretty time consuming. I can´t tell about it´s future. I´ve not made any plans so far.

Regards,
DD
DivingDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-08, 08:02 PM   #959
U-snafu
XO

Downloads: 28

Thanks DD,

With the patch I can keep the speed boat in now.

Ref the marinas --hopefully you will pick it up again someday--would love to populate the outer banks near the Graveyard of the atlantic with historic fishing villages---but understand the efoort that GWX has taken plus the upcoming SH4 GWX.

Regards,
Snafu
Old 08-23-08, 09:31 PM   #960
Redwine
Sea Lord

Hi DivingDuck !!

Please... clear your PM inbox... it is full.