SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

View Poll Results: What time period would you like the Cold War Mod to encompass?
Early Cold War: 1947 to the early 1960s 148 14.20%
Mid Cold War: 1960s to 1980s 195 18.71%
Late Cold War: 1980's to 1991 147 14.11%
I want the whole thing! 1947 to 1991 552 52.98%
Voters: 1042. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-01-08, 05:18 AM   #256
qqbadwolf
Swabbie

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

how can i changer de u-boot co2
qqbadwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-08, 05:46 AM   #257
andycaccia
XO

Downloads: 261
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by qqbadwolf
how can i changer de u-boot co2
What do you mean exactly?
If you just want to turn it off, simply go to game options and de-select limited o2.
Old 05-02-08, 04:59 PM   #258
Seawolve44
Watch

Downloads: 30

So how is the latest news coming for the Cold War mod? Is it still active?:hmm:

-Seawolve44-
Seawolve44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-08, 01:47 AM   #259
Sledgehammer427
PacWagon

Location: Drinking coffee and staring at trees in Massachusetts
Downloads: 280

yup.
however, i have a coupla side projects going, and the russians (it must be getting boring by now) are still making their boats. in reality, i cant start work until they are done.

but its going to be for patch 1.4 to my understanding, and im just toiling away finding all the files i need to make this work.
V-boat Nutcase - Need supplies? Japanese garrison on a small island in the way? Just give us a call! D4C!
Sledgehammer427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-08, 04:27 AM   #260
andycaccia
XO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer427
yup.
however, i have a coupla side projects going, and the russians (it must be getting boring by now) are still making their boats. in reality, i cant start work until they are done.

but its going to be for patch 1.4 to my understanding, and im just toiling away finding all the files i need to make this work.
If you are planning a campaign mode, you cold test it using stock boats for testing purposes.
Old 05-03-08, 11:42 AM   #261
Sledgehammer427
PacWagon

i was planning on it... but i just got into it, and its just beginning to make sense, however, what i did do so far was take the subs from the russkies and made patrol objective sets for it. i can do that. so far. but its really going slow, i wish i could get S3d to work, that would be a godsend.
V-boat Nutcase - Need supplies? Japanese garrison on a small island in the way? Just give us a call! D4C!
Old 05-03-08, 02:02 PM   #262
andycaccia
XO

Quote:
i was planning on it... but i just got into it, and its just beginning to make sense, however, what i did do so far was take the subs from the russkies and made patrol objective sets for it. i can do that. so far. but its really going slow, i wish i could get S3d to work, that would be a godsend.
Why?
What troubles do you have with s3d? I had (updated many times) it since its release and it never gave me something to worry about. Never.
Can I do something for you?
Try the las version...it's the 8.02 I think..
Old 05-03-08, 09:56 PM   #263
Sledgehammer427
PacWagon

it bugs me about a DLL i think...
i think the only thing thats not making it work is themanaged DirectX
Old 05-04-08, 03:42 AM   #264
andycaccia
XO

Quote:
it bugs me about a DLL i think...
i think the only thing thats not making it work is themanaged DirectX
That's strange, I have Vista Ultimate and I donwloaded both dx 9.0c managed and the other plug ins required and it worked fine for me...

Are you sure you have all the right components?
What OS are you running?
Old 05-06-08, 04:07 AM   #265
skwasjer
The Old Man

Downloads: 26
Uploads: 3

Please run the DirectX 9.0c web installer (if you don't know where to download it you can find the links on my download page). It is the same DirectX version the game installs (or any other game), but additionally installs managed extensions (which S3D needs). Older games don't come with these extensions...

And if you still have problems, please post the exact error message.

PS: The web installer will only update components that are outdated.
skwasjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-08, 02:04 PM   #266
XPETIT
Watch

Downloads: 6

I have the same matter than Sledgehammer427. I have directx9.0c since a long time. But when I start S3D, it put a message which say that it need a dll.

I have download the directx9.0c managed but i'm afraid to lauch it. Because i use lot of other games or soft and I wouldn't to lost them.....

Please, Skwasjer, Can you confirmed that directx9.0c managed don't do matter with the other soft that use only directx9.0c?:hmm:

nb : For that reason, i didn't start to create a Triomphant class.

Greatings.
XPETIT
XPETIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-08, 05:12 PM   #267
skwasjer
The Old Man

Downloads: 26
Uploads: 3

Well, it's not my software so I can't guarantee anything. The managed extensions are safe in my opinion though. They are only extensions (or wrappers) on top of default DirectX 9.0c, and are only used by applications that need them, like S3D. So you won't have any performance penalties either, other software simply doesn't care if it is installed or not.

I have not had one report of problems with these extensions. I play other games myself as well, used 3D editing software, 3D capturing software and none of them failed to work. I've been using these extensions for a year now, both on XP and Vista (32 and 64 bit).

So, I'd say, trust Microsoft for once...
skwasjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-08, 12:04 AM   #268
treblesum81
Frogman

Downloads: 71

Just wanted to add a voice of support for this mod... I've been looking for a sub-sim for the modern boomers, but one that had the first person feel of silent hunter, for some time now. Unfortunatly most sims relating to more modern boats are all data and no people and I really hope this mod can change that!

Good Luck!
treblesum81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-08, 12:27 AM   #269
Capt Jack Harkness
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 210
Uploads: 1

Alright people, I haven't been on Subsim since my last post here (on page 3!) and I apologize for my lengthy disappearance. I thought this was a dead project and then I checked tonight and found another 11 pages of posts that were put up in my absence.

Anyways, I've seen a few requests for how to get on the team and others requesting status updates, etc and I'll try to answer those questions.

Embarrasing though it may be, there is pretty much no work done on the mod. This is primarily because I thought there was no interest in the project at the time and I moved on to become the leader of the naval division of BattleCry: Redemption (BC:R), a modern day MMO war game based on the Crysis engine. The first release of BC:R is going to include nearly all modern ground, air and naval units in service with Russia, the United States and possibly China as well and. More countries will be added in subsequent releases and, needless to say, the graphics will completely blow away anything based on the Silent Hunter III/IV engine. Anyone who is interested in that project can PM me for details.

Anyways, back to SHIV... All of the submarine models you have seen in this thread have been made by Dagon, who is not affiliated with this mod (he's working on his own stuff). Anyone who wants to join the team and actually get this Cold War Mod moving is welcome to PM me. Just list your skills and what you would like to work on. As I've said, I'm spending most of my time working with the BC:R team, so my role in this mod will mainly be advisory.

As for the setting and content of the mod, what would you like to see? As some have guessed, I was hoping to make this an early cold war mod (1950s and 1960s) because the technology was not much more advanced than in WWII and that would mean less work trying to integrate tech that was never supposed to be available in the SH3/SH4 engine. Dagon, however, is modelling wonderful late cold war submarines and that brings up the dilemma of the time period. I'll put up a poll and everyone can vote on it.

As for content, I would love to start out by implementing real cold war missions first, primarily based on the stories in the book "Blind Man's Bluff." From the US side, these missions would involve collecting Soviet missile telemetry, tailing Soviet submarines to gain acoustic data, and possibly missions as extreme as the cable tapping operations conducted by the USS Halibut, USS Seawolf (SSN-575) and USS Parche, as well as recovering missile fragments and surveying the sunken Golf II class submarine (which was destroyed in a CIA attempt to raise the then obsolete vessel). Fictitious missions involving the cold war gone hot may come later and their direction would likely be decided by public decision.

Well, that's all I have to say. If you have any questions, concerns, comments, etc please feel free to PM me.
Capt Jack Harkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-08, 04:53 AM   #270
Nokia
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 131

I would like the mod to be based on the early cold war since I like the diesel-electric subs more than the nuke subs, although the early nuke subs are ok.

Nokia is offline   Reply With Quote