SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-08-07, 04:35 AM   #1
JScones
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19
Uploads: 0
Default New JSGME update coming - feedback sought

Through some prompting from Alain (Subsim nick "ACSoft"), I've started looking into a few little enhancements that may make life easier for JSGME users.

I've already implemented two new features:

- Recording of new files added by mods is now more efficient, resulting in faster mod enabling and less HD space taken with backups

- Now warns when a mod adds new folders that were added by previously enabled mods

The third area I want to tackle in the next release is that little chestnut where users either independantly rename or delete mods from their hard drive that are still enabled, thus creating a situation where the mods can not be removed from the game, causing problems that in most instances can only be rectified by a full game re-install (simply because they don't realise what they've actually done). Unfortunately, there's nothing proactive that JSGME can do in this situation; this all comes back to good housekeeping on the part of the user.

However, I'm thinking of adding a check when JSGME loads that will look for these "orphan" entries, that is, mods that are enabled but no source MODS\<Mod Name> folder can be found. My proposed warning message will be:

Quote:
Mod "X" has been enabled but the source files can not be found!

This usually occurs if you rename or delete an enabled mod from the MODS folder without disabling the mod first. You should now rename or reinstall the mod into the MODS folder and correctly disable it before deleting it from your hard drive.

It is recommended that you do this before enabling or disabling any other mods.

[OK]
Whilst I don't want to get into a semantic wordsmithing discussion, I welcome any feedback from you guys, the users, as this scenario is prolly the most common problem to affect users.

Basically, I'm keen to make sure that the error message is clear and easily understood by those of you who have in the past, for whatever reason, managed to rename or delete an enabled mod and thence wondered what has happened, or only realised once it's too late.

PS: I also welcome anyone offering to translate the interface into more languages. It's very easy to do and requires nothing more than translating entries stored in a text file. Current languages available are: Spanish, French, German, Dutch, Portuguese (Brazilian), Polish, Greek, Catalan and Galician. Feedback from native speakers of these languages have highlighted the benefit and accessibility that the translations afford, especially to those not confident with the English language.
JScones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-07, 06:11 AM   #2
vanjast
Sea Lord

Downloads: 806
Uploads: 4

As most people should install your great proggy before they start adding mods, they would thus have a clean SH4 installation.

This might take up HD space but it might be worth it to make a back up of the files that are changed for the first time, into an 'original' folder. These files are the vanilla version of the game, so if the mods get corrupted one just has to reload these files to get back to 'Square One'.

I haven't looked at your proggy for a while, but does it keep a heirarchial sequence record of the mods that have been done. You know when a particular file can be replaced many times via different mods. This might help with the unloading sequence, cos sometimes I cannot remember after 6 months which mod was loaded before the other.

vanjast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-07, 06:15 AM   #3
coronas
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 39

I make it for my own: Is it posible make subfolders in mod folder like "war ships mod", "merchants mod", "air mod", "skin mod"? List of addons grow and grow and it would be easier and collectible instalation.
Cheers!
coronas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-07, 06:40 AM   #4
JCWolf
Admiral

Downloads: 199
Uploads: 1

Hi Mate,

Great to here about an update on this great tool!

I have a sugestion or question for you!

Is there a possibelity of, in the main window that opens
on the desktop, make the possible to drag mod folders
from the Desktop and drop into the JSGME window so that
you don't have to go to SHIII directory searching for
the GMod enabler mods folder?

Thanks mate!

JCWolf Mediafire SHIII Page

User name : JCWolf
Password : stefre@jcm
JCWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-07, 06:45 AM   #5
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

how about a log of what files were modified by what mod? Like press a button and a history is printed of what mod modified which files.
And mitigate the bug where if a file is replaced (accidently) by a file of smaller or bigger size and/or deleted it won't disable the mod when you ask it to.
I've also noticed that if you try and enable a mod that has a new folder that isn't already on your hard drive it won't make and install the files for that folder.
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-07, 07:23 AM   #6
Digital_Trucker
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 141
Uploads: 10
Default Good idea

That wording looks good to me, SirScones. I don't think there is much room for misinterpretation of what you are trying to tell the user. It's a very good idea IMHO (as are the other two new features)

RSM-GIEP-Killflags-LV Tribute-Playable Elco __Peace be with you, Dave.

Digital_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-07, 08:44 AM   #7
swdw
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 75
Default on a side note

This got me thinking- and since you guys have been here longer, maybe you can answer this.

Think you could talk the developers into one small change for patch 1.4?

Have the developers make it where there's a folder like "user" duplicating the game file structure that all the mods go into for this purpose. The game will do a scan when it first starts and compare the default directories and the user directory, then use files in the user directory that are the same name as the ones in the default directory instead of using the original file. This was a change in the code for FS:SDOE that made user mods easier to implement, and if JSGME had been around would have made everything a snap (I've become a BIG fan of your program)

You'd still need JSGME because of all the overlapping files in different mods and for ease of testing out mods- it would just point to a different directory. BUT, returning to a clean install would be very easy. Just delete the files in the "user" directory so the game can't find any in there.

As for the idea of tracking a user altered file. Your idea seems like a really good one. Can't think of a different way to do it from what you mentioned.

BTW, if a person knows enough to alter a file, shouldn't they know enough to treat it like a public mod? For example, create a "personal" folder in the MODS folder, stick their directories/files in there, and use JSGME to activate them?

"you wouldn't catch me on a ship that deliberately sinks itself"- comment to me from a surface sailor.

System:
AMD 6300 3.5 GHz | 32GB DDR3 | SATA 300 320GB HD, SATA III 1TB HD, SATA III 1.TB HD | ASUS Sonar DS sound card
NVIDIA 1660 Super OC | Windows 10
swdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-07, 10:36 AM   #8
Wolfehunter
Crusty Capt.

Downloads: 40
Uploads: 25

If your taking any requests,

I have a few ideas that might make it better. If its possible that it can be done with your Mod enabler?

Game STALKER there "smart Mod Manager" can give you the option to choose which mod get the priority when files are conflicting. It doesn't merge or overright the file just move the appropriate file of choice. Can this be done while installing new mods that might conflict with current enabled mods?
Heres there link to there mod. Should you want to see it or ask questions.
http://www.gsc-game.com/index.php?t=...ype=xr&lang=en

Mod Discussion,
Smart Mod Manager.

Can there be a link to click on that directly opens your MODS folder. Nothing fancy. I know I can make a shortcut on the desktop but this addition would be nice.

Hmmm thats all I can think of now. Too early in the morning for me. Thanks for you hard work JScones. Your mode regardless of any improvement is perfect.
Old 10-08-07, 03:51 PM   #9
leovampire
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 0
Default JScones

There are 2 idea's here already posted I think are great and I have one of my own.

#1. The drag and drop feature for the mod's into the open JSGME window is a good idea.

#2. Being able to get a list of what mod changes what in the game folders to easily pinpoint a problem.

#3. Having JSGME refresh it's self so you do not have to remember to close it out than add a mod then reopen JSGME to make it refresh.

Other than that I will trust in your wisdom with the program.
leovampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-07, 12:42 AM   #10
JScones
Navy Seal

OK, some good news. It appears that my first post is now irrelevant. Why is this good news?

Because I chose to bite the bullet and rewrite the aging 8 year old engine code. Now, it doesn't matter what you do to the source MOD files once they are enabled, change them, delete them, do whatever, JSGME will no longer care; it's written it's own log of what it's done and will refer to that from then on (just keep in mind though that any changes to the source files won't be reflected in the game until the mod is disabled and reenabled again).

This change means that deleting or renaming a mod while it's enabled will no longer be the problem it currently is. The original mod will still display in the activated mods list and can still be disabled even if it's been deleted from your hard drive (the difference being that once it is disabled it will simply disappear).

The other benefits of this approach? Well there's a few:

- the time taken to enable or disable mods is now quicker, reportedly by at least 10% (and for larger mods this is a noticable difference)
- the amount of hard disk space required to store backup files is reduced due to more efficient storing of new file information. Basically, the more new files a mod includes, the smaller the backup footprint.

I sent the latest version off for testing last night and woke up to positive results.

Of course, I would be loathed to see this enhancement replace good user housekeeping, but it will provide a safety net for genuine "oops".

I'll comment on some of the feedback posted here later...
Old 10-09-07, 01:01 AM   #11
leovampire
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 0
Default Donation time LOL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScones
OK, some good news. It appears that my first post is now irrelevant. Why is this good news?

Because I chose to bite the bullet and rewrite the aging 8 year old engine code. Now, it doesn't matter what you do to the source MOD files once they are enabled, change them, delete them, do whatever, JSGME will no longer care; it's written it's own log of what it's done and will refer to that from then on (just keep in mind though that any changes to the source files won't be reflected in the game until the mod is disabled and reenabled again).

This change means that deleting or renaming a mod while it's enabled will no longer be the problem it currently is. The original mod will still display in the activated mods list and can still be disabled even if it's been deleted from your hard drive (the difference being that once it is disabled it will simply disappear).

The other benefits of this approach? Well there's a few:

- the time taken to enable or disable mods is now quicker, reportedly by at least 10% (and for larger mods this is a noticable difference)
- the amount of hard disk space required to store backup files is reduced due to more efficient storing of new file information. Basically, the more new files a mod includes, the smaller the backup footprint.

I sent the latest version off for testing last night and woke up to positive results.

Of course, I would be loathed to see this enhancement replace good user housekeeping, but it will provide a safety net for genuine "oops".

I'll comment on some of the feedback posted here later...
Thanks for working on this great program some more JScones. I know you have already updated it once or twice already. When payday comes look for another donation for the new work.
leovampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-07, 04:34 AM   #12
JScones
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanjast
This might take up HD space but it might be worth it to make a back up of the files that are changed for the first time, into an 'original' folder. These files are the vanilla version of the game, so if the mods get corrupted one just has to reload these files to get back to 'Square One'.
Now this would really be a bandaid for sloppy housekeeping. I mean, creating *two* backups? Nah...

Personally I think that if users have the HD space they should create a backup of their games *before* making any changes. If something then goes wrong, there's no need to hunt out the original disc and reinstall, just simply delete the dodgy installation and recopy from the clean backup. Easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanjast
I haven't looked at your proggy for a while, but does it keep a heirarchial sequence record of the mods that have been done. You know when a particular file can be replaced many times via different mods. This might help with the unloading sequence, cos sometimes I cannot remember after 6 months which mod was loaded before the other.
The Activated Mods list displays the mods in the order in which they were enabled, so there's no chance of forgetting the order you enabled them.

To answer your main question though, yes, JSGME maintains a record of what mods have changed what files. JSGME will not allow you to disable a mod that has had files modified by subsequently enabled mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coronas
I make it for my own: Is it posible make subfolders in mod folder like "war ships mod", "merchants mod", "air mod", "skin mod"? List of addons grow and grow and it would be easier and collectible instalation.
Sorry, this would be too confusing. JSGME copies the folders and files from the mod folder into the game as it finds them (hence why file structure is so important). Adding an extra layer of subfolders will break the file/folder integrity required to ensure the files get correctly placed into the game and will simply make things messy to manage.

My advice would be to rename your mods with consistent naming if you want to keep them together. Alternatively, you can combine separate mods yourself into one folder structure if you know you'll always want to enable them all together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcwolf
Is there a possibelity of, in the main window that opens
on the desktop, make the possible to drag mod folders
from the Desktop and drop into the JSGME window so that
you don't have to go to SHIII directory searching for
the GMod enabler mods folder?
Quote:
Originally Posted by leovampire
#1. The drag and drop feature for the mod's into the open JSGME window is a good idea.
It's in - if JSGME is open you can drag and drop folders from Explorer, Desktop etc and JSGME will move them into the MODS folder for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerboy
how about a log of what files were modified by what mod? Like press a button and a history is printed of what mod modified which files.
Quote:
#2. Being able to get a list of what mod changes what in the game folders to easily pinpoint a problem.
The next release will include something like this, but not visible to the general user, and not this elaborate. A user-friendly report might come in a later version, once it's clear *exactly* what would provide most benefit.

Quote:
And mitigate the bug where if a file is replaced (accidently) by a file of smaller or bigger size and/or deleted it won't disable the mod when you ask it to.
Poor user housekeeping and manually deleting files can hardly be considered a bug in JSGME - user's must take some responsibility for their actions. However, see post above; this issue is now hopefully moot.

Quote:
I've also noticed that if you try and enable a mod that has a new folder that isn't already on your hard drive it won't make and install the files for that folder.
I must be misunderstanding your problem - players have added new ships, planes etc (ie new folders and files) for years without any problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfehunter
Game STALKER there "smart Mod Manager" can give you the option to choose which mod get the priority when files are conflicting. It doesn't merge or overright the file just move the appropriate file of choice. Can this be done while installing new mods that might conflict with current enabled mods?
Heres there link to there mod. Should you want to see it or ask questions.
http://www.gsc-game.com/index.php?t=...ype=xr&lang=en
I'm sure someone has already raised this and I answered accordingly. Can't find it now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfehunter
Can there be a link to click on that directly opens your MODS folder. Nothing fancy. I know I can make a shortcut on the desktop but this addition would be nice.
Right-click any available mod and select "Explore".

Quote:
#3. Having JSGME refresh it's self so you do not have to remember to close it out than add a mod then reopen JSGME to make it refresh.
I'm looking into this.

Quote:
Thanks for working on this great program some more JScones. I know you have already updated it once or twice already. When payday comes look for another donation for the new work.
Thanks mate, your support (and indeed that of all donators) is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-09-07, 06:56 AM   #13
longam
Admiral

Downloads: 26

A progress bar representing the HD activity.
longam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-07, 07:20 AM   #14
TDK1044
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 25

My plea would be for everyone to remember that donations are gratefully received at the JSGME website. This software has enabled simpletons like me to add and remove mods at will....something I would never have done before the JSGME. So when we go and get the new version, let's leave a little something for Santa.
TDK1044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-07, 07:28 AM   #15
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDK1044
My plea would be for everyone to remember that donations are gratefully received at the JSGME website. This software has enabled simpletons like me to add and remove mods at will....something I would never have done before the JSGME. So when we go and get the new version, let's leave a little something for Santa.
Well said TDK. I remember not using JSGME in my earlier days here , what a mistake that was. This is a great little app. The proposed changes will only add to its effectiveness.

Thanks JScones Also, thanks to those members here that have contributed with suggestions, etc.

RDP

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote