SUBSIM Radio Room Forums
Mods and files for every subsim!

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2017, 03:21 PM   #9406
connor4200
Swabbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 20
Downloads: 6
Uploads: 0
Default

is there a way to use TWOS with a working map that shows enemies?
connor4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:24 PM   #9407
vdr1981
Graue Stahlwölfe
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Србија
Posts: 4,294
Downloads: 493
Uploads: 13


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by connor4200 View Post
is there a way to use TWOS with a working map that shows enemies?
Map contacts? Of course there is a way... Just disable "no map update" options in gameplay settings...
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 04:49 PM   #9408
excel4004
Hans-Jürgen Hellriegel
 
excel4004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Germany
Posts: 249
Downloads: 142
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
That's exactly where final way-point for British OW task forces is located. You can try to intercept them a bit earlier...
This is what i would call "Bad Luck"! Thanks for the explanations, "happy" that it was not a bug.


..cheers!
__________________
U-96
March 1942 - March 1943 * Oblt.z.S. Hans-Jürgen Hellriegel

excel4004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 07:16 PM   #9409
Muppetlord
Nub
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: I don't know but it's cold so probably north of the equator.
Posts: 7
Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg322 View Post
Hi Muppetlord

Running into large convoys can be a bit of a lottery some areas are very bleak for good contacts is par for the course I'm afraid. The British Royal navy had 184 destroyers, 45 patrol vessels so if only 1% are within range you could expect trouble, historically speaking. I think the Game reflects this quite well .

Escorts chasing you down are a result of distress calls as you say but there are some things you can do to minimise risks.

Surface attacks leave you the most exposed not only by the Target ship spotting you early but also by the length of Engagement , thus giving Destroyers longer time to incept both the distress call and your sub. So get in good range and make every shot count. Sinking Fishing and Coastal boats can be risky and give little reward but can be tempting when you've had a long dry spell and get frustrated ( I've done it many times )

Its the same thing if your periscope is spotted so try to minimise its exposure time especially as you close in. So the Countdown clock starts from there.

Ships zig-zagging is an obvious sign that you have been detected so bare that in mind when choosing when to break away from engagement, then go full flank for a while then submerge and keep noise detection to a minimum all depending with all the above considerations in mind
Thank you!

I've gotten better over the last couple of days and I think what I was doing wrong was indeed just taking too long to sink ships and reveal myself before I had even fired the first shot/torp.

Have gotten a lot less intercepts lately. Even managed to sneak into Scapa flow, and as it happened, the HMS Ark Royal was sitting still by herself outside the "gates". So I sunk her and took off without a hitch.

Quote:
Next time when in doubt you can just check the map and see if the country shows up as red (enemy).
Hmm. I don't see any marker as red. Or blue. They're all black for me. I'll look around in the settings. Probably just something I have to turn on.


Since I'm writing I might as well go ahead with a new question. So I've got the Enigma right? I learned how to use it and it's been working good so far.
But I just ran into a problem. It's 1940. But the encryption date reads 1939. And I can't go back earlier than January 1940 at the first stage when I'm supposed to get the cipher and encryption. I still tired as if the year didn't matter but it only resulted in gibberish.
Worth mentioning that my group number is 419 when entering the encryption date with 1940 instead. Which means I'm not in the Hydra sector/group/indicator or whatever. Which shouldn't be possible before 1941.

I also tried with the date that I received which is (obviously) 1940 but that didn't work. Didn't expect it to but it was worth a try..

I'm guessing I'm just missing something again. I've tried clicking everywhere it feels like. There's this little tag on the enigma machine that reads 1940 which I would very much like to read 1939 I suppose. Clicking that did nothing though. I'll keep looking. Won't unpause until I've solved this damned thing.

Edit: I guess I could solve it by starting a new game and decrypt it there... Might just do that if I can't find a solution.

SOLVED: YOU CAN SCROLL ON THE YEAR TAG! ARGH!

Last edited by Muppetlord; 12-06-2017 at 07:44 PM.
Muppetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 07:18 PM   #9410
connor4200
Swabbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 20
Downloads: 6
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
Map contacts? Of course there is a way... Just disable "no map update" options in gameplay settings...
Ok cool ty! as well if I wanted full TC I'd just edit the cfg. file, correct? lolol
connor4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 08:33 PM   #9411
connor4200
Swabbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 20
Downloads: 6
Uploads: 0
Default

as well is there a way to show torpedo path on TWOS? I just like to see it lol sorry for all the noon questions lolol
connor4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:37 PM   #9412
Muppetlord
Nub
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: I don't know but it's cold so probably north of the equator.
Posts: 7
Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by connor4200 View Post
as well is there a way to show torpedo path on TWOS? I just like to see it lol sorry for all the noon questions lolol
Top right of the map there's a button that brings down a load of options. Then check the box called "Torpedo solution line". That should do it.
Muppetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:05 PM   #9413
connor4200
Swabbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 20
Downloads: 6
Uploads: 0
Default

your a god
connor4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:52 PM   #9414
Muppetlord
Nub
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: I don't know but it's cold so probably north of the equator.
Posts: 7
Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0
Default

I've come across something I can only assume is a bug.

I'm just doing a patrol mission in the Atlantic, right?

A lone Destroyer approaches from the west. I dive to let him pass but he doesn't. He stops dead about 10 km away and just sits there. So I go in for the free kill but as I move, he moves. I don't know how he detected me but he must have.

I go away from him as slowly, quietly and deep as I possibly can. But he follows. He doesn't engage. He's just stalking me.

There's no way he should be able to when I'm going at 0.5 knots 200m down.
But I guess they've somehow time-traveled and got some ASW equipment from 3017.

Anyway. I get frustrated and surface to maybe draw him in closer. But this guy keeps his distance. He just wont do ANYTHING.

So what's the problem then you might wonder? HE'S LIMITING MY TC TO X64 ARGGHH!

He's too far away for me to shoot at him with my deck gun. (I mean...not technically but practically.) So hurray. Loading a 2 hour old save because the game decided this would be a great time to overwrite that autosave... Oh well.
Muppetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:36 AM   #9415
connor4200
Swabbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 20
Downloads: 6
Uploads: 0
Default

another quick question I switched back to TWOS, it has the start screen cinematics of old films with u boats but, the title says silent hunter 5 open horizons? is this what's supposed to be displayed?
connor4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:01 PM   #9416
reedca82
Nub
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 6
Downloads: 8
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppetlord View Post
I've come across something I can only assume is a bug.

I'm just doing a patrol mission in the Atlantic, right?

A lone Destroyer approaches from the west. I dive to let him pass but he doesn't. He stops dead about 10 km away and just sits there. So I go in for the free kill but as I move, he moves. I don't know how he detected me but he must have.

I go away from him as slowly, quietly and deep as I possibly can. But he follows. He doesn't engage. He's just stalking me.

There's no way he should be able to when I'm going at 0.5 knots 200m down.
But I guess they've somehow time-traveled and got some ASW equipment from 3017.

Anyway. I get frustrated and surface to maybe draw him in closer. But this guy keeps his distance. He just wont do ANYTHING.

So what's the problem then you might wonder? HE'S LIMITING MY TC TO X64 ARGGHH!

He's too far away for me to shoot at him with my deck gun. (I mean...not technically but practically.) So hurray. Loading a 2 hour old save because the game decided this would be a great time to overwrite that autosave... Oh well.
Sticky destroyer bug. Sometimes 1 of the escorts of a convoy will do it to you too and screw up your attack. It is frustrating, but a save/reload will normally "release" them.
reedca82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 01:08 PM   #9417
pelucho25
Loader
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Valladolid (Spain)
Posts: 85
Downloads: 1267
Uploads: 0
Default

Hello captains, I would like to know if there are any mod that modifies the contacts on the map as in the NYGM TONNAGE or TMO style mods where they are represented as a point or are not visible if the map is zoomed too close.
Any suggestions?
pelucho25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 05:02 PM   #9418
Katze
A-ganger
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 78
Downloads: 151
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by connor4200 View Post
another quick question I switched back to TWOS, it has the start screen cinematics of old films with u boats but, the title says silent hunter 5 open horizons? is this what's supposed to be displayed?
Yes, that's proper, as Open Horizons II is the campaign mod used in TWOS.
Katze is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:57 PM   #9419
connor4200
Swabbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 20
Downloads: 6
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppetlord View Post
Top right of the map there's a button that brings down a load of options. Then check the box called "Torpedo solution line". That should do it.
can u send me a screenshot of yours? for some reason I have check boxes with no name lol as well as dialogue with some of the characters it's just blank
connor4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:07 PM   #9420
connor4200
Swabbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 20
Downloads: 6
Uploads: 0
Default

as well allot of me text in game isn't visible for example the messages u get in the bottom right from crew and some character dialogue, and it doesn't say screws over the screws buttons any idea what might be causing this?
connor4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 1997- 2017 Subsim