SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-30-17, 02:39 AM   #18
Julhelm
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 189
Uploads: 0

I personally like more options. The problem with US torpedoes of the period is that while they run from Mk27 through Mk48, almost all of them are crap or did not enter service. You could use tactical nukes in Strike Fighters, but they were always an 'I win'-button. I found it was much more interesting to try out things like fitting AIM-9's to the F-101's and see how they handled against the migs.

One option for the Mk45 to make it more tactically interesting would be giving it a Mk37 mod 0 guidance package, which is essentially an active/passive homer with no wire guidance capability.

At times I wonder if we should move to a renown system similar to SH that lets you 'buy' the appropriate weapons for your boat within what you can afford. If you want better stuff, have to earn it. While more realistic, the current time penalty doesn't really impose the same restrictions.

Strike Fighters had the option to play as mercenaries, where you literally had to earn your weapons, learning to use the cheaper weapons while attacking targets of opportunity to earn more money with which to buy better kit. I would like to introduce some similar mode to CW down the line, to provide a 'long war' alternative to the shorter realistic campaigns.
Julhelm is offline   Reply With Quote