SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-05-13, 04:43 AM   #1
Yukicore
Seaman

Downloads: 14
Uploads: 0
Mod related inappropriate aircraft A.I. behavior

Sooo, hoplefully nobody minds that I post this thread here, but I did not post this as a response to the mod thread, because it's not entirely related to the mod...? If I need to move this mod elsewhere, please do tell me, before deleting/moving, or at least after...

I installed Silent Hunter 5 mod for A.I. enhancement by The Dark Wraith. Ever since, aircraft is randomly attacking my submarine in the very beginning of the game (Randomly as of some patrolling units attack me, some not). And far as I know, the war has not been yet started, although declared, with England that is. I had played the game before without mods, didn't get any further than mission 3, but now I started a new Campaign with mods installed.

England's aircrafts, when playing without the mods, were just flying past me, didn't attack or anything, usually after me taking down a ship, to investigate. And if they'd saw me, they would send more aircrafts just to take watch at what I'm doing. But after installing the mod they have been randomly attacking me.

The issue is not that they are attacking me when war hasn't ''started'' yet, but that I can't figure out what determines their behavior. Also they are doing quite the damage, not sure if they did before, but a single aircraft damaged the submarines hulls by 55% on a single fly-by by mounted machine guns, perhaps, I don't know much about all the war stuff.

Although realistic, that they randomly attack, since frequently submarine attack radio messages get reported, it feels weird that some are attacking and some are not, since they shouldn't act on their own and have either permission to attack or attack order. Does anybody know about what makes them attack? Because the crew automatically spots them only when it's almost too late and sitting out the entire journey would be just too long and stupid.

Thanks.

Last edited by Yukicore; 01-05-13 at 08:58 AM.
Yukicore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-13, 12:23 PM   #2
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

3 thoughts:

- TDW's IRAI fixes partly the dumb aircraft AI. If you are using this mod, planes won't dive on you if they are out of ammo/bombs.

- IIRC, there's an unfixed bug in SH5, relative to the planes not attacking enemy contacts when following waypoints in campaign, even if they could. I may be wrong on this point, but I am sure Trevally will be able to provide some further detail on the subject.

- Machine guns (both aircraft and ship mounted) are overpowered in SH5. I will deal with this problem in the next future (I hope). I could release a quick fix right now, but I want to make sure that my changes are well balanced and free from whatsoever side effects.
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-13, 12:39 PM   #3
Trevally.
Navy Seal

Downloads: 166
Uploads: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post

- IIRC, there's an unfixed bug in SH5, relative to the planes not attacking enemy contacts when following waypoints in campaign, even if they could. I may be wrong on this point, but I am sure Trevally will be able to provide some further detail on the subject.
Aeroplanes following waypoints in the campaign are only in the English channel - they are there for effect. They will fire at you if in range (cannons only) but will not leave their route. When these planes spot you, airbases (where free roaming planes are produced) will send extra out to attack you.

From 1943 forward - OHII added planes by waypoints in the Bay of Biscay.
These aeroplane are all fitted with radar. Planes following waypoints with radar will leave their route and attack
Old 01-05-13, 01:23 PM   #4
gap
Navy Seal

Thank you for your quick replies, Trevally!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevally. View Post
Aeroplanes following waypoints in the campaign are only in the English channel - they are there for effect. They will fire at you if in range (cannons only) but will not leave their route. When these planes spot you, airbases (where free roaming planes are produced) will send extra out to attack you.
Well, since they are calling in for reinforcements they are not there merely for eye candy. They are just taking literally their patrol duties

Quote:
From 1943 forward - OHII added planes by waypoints in the Bay of Biscay.
These aeroplane are all fitted with radar. Planes following waypoints with radar will leave their route and attack

Wonderful... ops, nevermind, I wanted to say horrible

(I think it's about time to recruit a German modder for him take over your work on OHII and dumb down a bit your terrific British defences )
Old 01-05-13, 03:13 PM   #5
Yukicore
Seaman

I'm using IRAI mod, so you guys mean that the planes, that aren't attacking me, have used all of their ammunition on other vessels/submarines? Why don't they go stock up and smoke a couple of cigarettes instead, that's pretty ridiculous, I have to dive so much because of the aircrafts. If only their guns wouldn't be so powerful and accurate, any mods relating to this?

Also, is there a way to take down their range of sight, because I highly doubt that everyone who flies the planes actually would look down all the time for something and spot submarines. There should be a randomizer that determines whether the plane will spot you or not. This would take down their chances of spotting me.
Old 01-05-13, 03:22 PM   #6
Trevally.
Navy Seal

TDW has always said that the AI script for the planes was limiting.
He has done about as much as he can with it.
IRAI mod is the best mod for any AI scripting

Have you been attacked by a torp plane yet http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=188286
Old 01-05-13, 03:26 PM   #7
Trevally.
Navy Seal

Dive bombed http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=188171
Old 01-05-13, 03:31 PM   #8
Trevally.
Navy Seal

Another bomb run - this one missed

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=196197
Old 01-05-13, 03:48 PM   #9
Yukicore
Seaman

Quote:
Do I have some kind of hardened mod of IRAI, because seriously from 1 plane dive with simple machine-guns I had hull integrity decreased to 56%.

I still completed the mission and got back, but with very cautious methods, as soon as I saw an aircraft headed my way, immediately dive to 30m and continue the course underwater for like 4 km, in case the support was called, and in night, I used full power to move as far as I can. I had decent amount of fuel, but always have to keep some in reserve, in case of unavoidable confrontation with warships, where you are forced to dive and wait.

I've never encountered torpedo bomber planes, I have a feeling, i'm not going to enjoy my first encounter, although it keeps the tension up, I like that. But the magnetic torpedoes are not working anyways, right? Just have to move or dive and move to avoid contact.

OH, AND please do tell me if the jiggly surfacing with the mods is realistic, because I'm not sure myself, it feels kinda cheap looking, what do you think? Trevally, what kind of mods are you using for sea parameters and buoyancy?

Last edited by Yukicore; 01-05-13 at 03:58 PM.
Old 01-05-13, 04:21 PM   #10
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

I am playing on 100% realism with all the mods and hardly ever get detected by planes . I am only up to may 1940 though . What year are you playing in ? I stay well away from the coast where possible . Stay away from english ports .

Last edited by THE_MASK; 01-05-13 at 06:08 PM.
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-13, 04:34 PM   #11
Trevally.
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukicore View Post
OH, AND please do tell me if the jiggly surfacing with the mods is realistic, because I'm not sure myself, it feels kinda cheap looking, what do you think? Trevally, what kind of mods are you using for sea parameters and buoyancy?
This is still my mod list here http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=190656

I do not use an environ mod. I have made my own but it is mostly stock game setting.
Old 01-05-13, 04:55 PM   #12
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
If only their guns wouldn't be so powerful and accurate, any mods relating to this?
not yet, but have you read my previous post:

Quote:
Machine guns (both aircraft and ship mounted) are overpowered in SH5. I will deal with this problem in the next future (I hope). I could release a quick fix right now, but I want to make sure that my changes are well balanced and free from whatsoever side effects.
A mod dealing with this and many other related issues is on its way to come here:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...29#post1935329

Quote:
Do I have some kind of hardened mod of IRAI, because seriously from 1 plane dive with simple machine-guns I had hull integrity decreased to 56%.
IRAI has nothing to do with machine-gun damage: it deals "just" with AI
Old 01-05-13, 05:00 PM   #13
Yukicore
Seaman

Quote:
IRAI has nothing to do with machine-gun damage: it deals "just" with AI
But it has to do with accuracy and tactics.
Old 01-05-13, 05:05 PM   #14
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

The only adjustments i know is in iRAI .

IRAI_0_0_37_ByTheDarkWraith\data\Scripts\AI\init
adjust the max numbers
No idea if this works on planes as well as ships .
################################################## ###############
###################### Difficulty parameters ####################
# Note: difficulty is in range 0.0 - 1.0 with 0.0 being no difficulty (sensor doesn't exist)
# for non-merchants
VISUAL_DIFFICULTY_MIN = 0.85;
VISUAL_DIFFICULTY_MAX = 1.0;
HYDROPHONE_DIFFICULTY_MIN = 0.85;
HYDROPHONE_DIFFICULTY_MAX = 1.0;
RADAR_DIFFICULTY_MIN = 0.85;
RADAR_DIFFICULTY_MAX = 1.0;
SONAR_DIFFICULTY_MIN = 0.85;
SONAR_DIFFICULTY_MAX = 1.0;
# for merchants
VISUAL_DIFFICULTY_MERCHANT_MIN = 0.85;
VISUAL_DIFFICULTY_MERCHANT_MAX = 1.0;
HYDROPHONE_DIFFICULTY_MERCHANT_MIN = 0.85;
HYDROPHONE_DIFFICULTY_MERCHANT_MAX = 1.0;
RADAR_DIFFICULTY_MERCHANT_MIN = 0.85;
RADAR_DIFFICULTY_MERCHANT_MAX = 1.0;
SONAR_DIFFICULTY_MERCHANT_MIN = 0.85;
SONAR_DIFFICULTY_MERCHANT_MAX = 1.0;
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-13, 05:11 PM   #15
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
But it has to do with accuracy and tactics.
You said well: it has to do with accurate AI tactics, but not with accurate armaments. This is where the below said WIP mod will come in help.