SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-16-11, 10:22 PM   #1
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10
Default [REL] gap Alternative Cursors & Kriegsmarine Maptools

* Description: Alternative Cursors and KM Map Tools v 2 for Silent Hunter 5

* Author: gap

* About this mod:
I always thought that the ugly pointers used in vanilla game are anti-immersive, not looking like one would expect from a WWII interface. This small mod addresses the problem, by replacing the stock cursors with new ones, more in tune with the main UI mods released for the game so far. Moreover, it replaces the small vanilla map tools with bigger ones, with 1 deg apart marks, calibrated for high precision plotting.

* Mod features:
- Base Mod: contains the core files with a default set of cursors and map tools; compatible with the main SH5 UI mods.
- Alternate Tool Graphics: for different plotting tools styles. Available in three alternative versions: Wooden Handle (featuring a set of compass, ruler and protractor advanced tools and NewUI’s double compass with wooden handles); No Markings (all the tools without markings of any sort, for cleaner look); Wooden Handle, No Markings (a merge of the above optional mods).
- Shadowed Cursors: makes default cursors to cast 2D shadows, for better legibility against any background.
- Alternate Dialog Cursors: replaces the speech balloon-shaped pointers, used in game for denoting interaction with crew members and officers in bunker, with hand-shaped ones. Available in two alternative versions: Default (for non-shadowed hand-shaped cursors) and Shadowed (with shadowed hand-shaped dialog cursors, better used together with the ‘Shadowed Cursors’ optional mod).
- EQuaTool patches: should you like to use this mod without giving up the EQuaTool plotting tools, this set of optional mods provides compatibility with various versions of the aforementioned mod, including different combinations of its core and add-on mods.

* Changelog:
> v 2.0:
­ - ensured compatibility of the base mod with the main SH5 UI mods (see the ‘Compatibility’ section below for details);
­ - added etheberge’s No Damn Bubbles, No Damn Halo Mod - No Dialog Indicator to the main mod;
­ - added several new ‘move’, ‘drag’ and ‘dialog’ pointers that were previously sharing the same textures;
­ - hue, saturation and luminosity of all the pointers further enhanced, for better look in game;
­ - changed basic tool cursor with new ones, with smaller tool miniatures;
­ - replaced the big Nazi markings, displayed on some advanced tools, with smaller and more historically correct KriegsMarine markings and historical ‘Faber-Castell’ markings;
­ - added KriegsMarine markings to the version of the nomograph featured in NewUIs;
­ - added Alternate Tool Graphics add-on mods for different advanced tool styles;
­ - added Shadowed Cursors add-on mod;
­ - added Alternate Dialog Cursors add-on mods;
­ - added EQuaTool patches for compatibility with the homonymous mod.

> v 1.1:
­ - fixed a bug with basic compass tool, caused by wrong offsets; now the plotted line is drawn starting from the tool’s crosshair as it was supposed;
­ - changed basic course plotting tool texture with a different texture featured in version 1.0 (pencil + flag) but actually not used;
­ - changed hue and saturation of drag icon, to match better the color of other pointers.

> v 1.0 first release:
­ - changed pointer, drag and resize cursors with new hand style cursors, both in main menu and game interface;
­ - changed basic tools cursors to follow the style of big map tools icons coming with vanilla game and used by “IO StrategicMap” and several UI mods;
­ - changed extended map tools graphics by using Multiple UIs compass tool as base (changed Kriegsmarine historical emblems; added 1 deg. and cardinal points marks, plus some minor touches).

* Compatibility:
- Compatible with the stock UI and with NewUIs with TDC, CSP Magui Interface and UI-Boat custom UIs.
- Compatible with any EQuaTool version, by means of a set of compatibility patches included in the package (see below for instructions).

* Known bugs:
- When moving the cursor on top of a button or menu item, cursor is overlapping slightly with relative tooltip texts.
- Feel free to report any other issue that might be related with this mod in its dedicated thread.

* Installation:
- Install JoneSoft Generic Mod Enabler if you have not done it yet, and configure it to the SH5 installation path;
- open the <Alternative Cursors and KM Map Tools v 2> package using WinRAR or 7-Zip;
- drop the folder named <gap - Alternative Cursors & KM Map Tools v2 - 1. Base Mod> into the <MODS> folder (inside the main SH5 directory);
- enable the mod within JSGME, on top of any custom UI you are using;
- optional: follow the same steps for enabling add-on mods numbered from 2 to 4 you may want to use, taking care to enable them in the same order suggested by their progressive numbers. Sub-mods with the same number are alternative version of the same mod (only one of them should be enabled);
- optional: enable any reasonable combination of EquaTool’s mods and add-on mods after the base and add-on mods contained in this package, and enable on top of them all the appropriate patch from the list of available patches (numbered from 5.a to 5.n). Their names should be self explanatory on EquaTool’s mods and add-on mods that they should be used with.

* Acknowledgements:
- thanks to TheDarkWraith for permission to use the compass tools graphics coming with his UI mod, used as base for my own extended tools;
- thanks to Urbijan for the permission to use two of the cursor icons coming with his ‘MouceHandModSH345’;
- thanks to etheberge for usage of his No Damn Bubbles, No Damn Halo Mod; I hope he won’t mind, as I forgot to ask for mermission :)
- special thanks to Sjizzle and Sepp von Ch. for their extensive beta testing and bug reporting :)
- historical Kriegsmarine and Faber-Castell markings used for this mod are reworked versions of pictures taken from the web. I would acknowledge their original posters if only I could remember their names or the websites where the original pictures were published.

* Disclaimer:
- This package is not related to or supported by UBISOFT© and it is not intended for any commercial use;
- the use of swastikas in this package is purely intended for historical reconstruction and it is not meant to offend anyone nor to support neo-nazist movements in any way;
- the author of this package takes no responsibility for any damage occurred to the data in your computer due to its use;
- feel free to redistribute this package for free as long as you do not alter it in any part, including this readme;
- feel free to use this package -as a whole or in part- for your own freely distributed mod, as far as you get explicit consent by the original authors (including the authors of stuff that this mod is based on) and you give them credits for their work.

P R E V I E W S
===============

EDIT: missing picture

N.B: big tools in the above previews were reduced in size for making them to fit on screen. Actual tools are 25% bigger. Here is an example of full resolution protractor:

Last edited by gap; 01-30-20 at 02:23 PM. Reason: changed image hosting service
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-11, 04:37 AM   #2
DrJones
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 341
Uploads: 0

They are looking very good

Good Job keep on working
DrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-11, 08:30 AM   #3
mobucks
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 209

looks very nice indeed!
mobucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-11, 09:41 AM   #4
-PriLLi-
A-ganger

Downloads: 98

....looks pretty nice....
Keep on working.....
-PriLLi- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-11, 10:04 AM   #5
SashaKA001
中国水兵

Downloads: 231

They will be compatible with mods IO_StrategicMap_4_0 and Ui-Boat V3? Or even be with the Ui-Boat V3?
SashaKA001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-11, 10:11 AM   #6
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

why don't you release them as an add-on mod for my UIs mod? They look nice and very functional
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-11, 02:23 PM   #7
Magic1111
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 783

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
why don't you release them as an add-on mod for my UIs mod? They look nice and very functional
Yes, please release the Maptools, they look very nice and functional and I want to have the Maptools too !
Old 03-17-11, 03:25 PM   #8
gap
Navy Seal

Thank you everyone for encouragement and comments!

Quote:
They will be compatible with mods IO_StrategicMap_4_0 and Ui-Boat V3? Or even be with the Ui-Boat V3?
I don't have these mods installed, but I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be so. The one part I think is working only with TDW UIs, is the real/relative bearing tool (the double compass) but I may be wrong. I'll have a look at Ui-Boat in order to give a proper reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith
Yes, please release the Maptools, they look very nice and functional and I want to have the Maptools too !
Nice TheDarkWraith! I will bemore than glad to contribute even in minimal part to your UI, by releasing these stuffs as an add-on for it. Do you think we could release them together with the final version of NewUIs 6.4.0?

All I've to do until that date, is asking for permission by Urbijan (author of 2 of the hand shaped cursors) and writing a readme with full credits to original authors. By the way: is the compass tool I used as base for my reworks your own creation, or rather it was provided by someone else?

Nevertheless, right now I am sending to you a beta version for testing and suggestions, if you ever get time to provide me with them. I am open to any tip can make my alternative tools and cursors cleaner, more accurate, or just more in tune with your UI.

As for the other subsim friends who showed interest, I ask you to keep patient for a short while, until the public release
Old 03-17-11, 03:32 PM   #9
Magic1111
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
As for the other subsim friends who showed interest, I ask you to keep patient for a short while, until the public release
...yes, I´ll do so, but I`m an impatient person...
Old 03-18-11, 09:46 AM   #10
gap
Navy Seal

Okay, permission from Urbijan received.

@Magic1111
Hopefully things are going on fast

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gap
Hi Urbijan,

I've recently downloaded your mod "MouceModSH345" and appreciated your idea to add some more captivating mouse cursors and plotting tools images to Silent Hunter 5.
By developping that idea, I've now done a little mod, called "Alternative Kriegsmarine Maptools and Cursors, wich contains among the others, a couple of reworks of your mouse hand images. See thread:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show....php?p=1621539

As you can read, TDW asked me to release it as an add-on with his NewUI's.
Would you kindly provide me with permission for the use of the above mentioned textures? I would give you full credits for them in the readme.

Thank you in advance!
Gabriele
Of course...great job and please keep me posted. Sorry, that i can work on it by myself, i'm driving truck in usa and canada. Best wishes and my respect, i already love the result of your work.
Urbijan
Old 03-18-11, 04:47 PM   #11
Magic1111
Silent Hunter

Quote:
@Magic1111
Hopefully things are going on fast
I´m looking forward to an release....!
Old 03-20-11, 05:43 AM   #12
andycaccia
XO

Downloads: 261
Uploads: 2

Very Nice!!
Old 03-20-11, 03:35 PM   #13
gap
Navy Seal

Released. Link in the first post.

btw: how can I change the thread title to "[REL] gap Alternative Cursors & Kriegsmarine Maptools"?
Old 03-20-11, 03:36 PM   #14
stoianm
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 833
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Released. Link in the first post.

btw: how can I change the thread title to "[REL] gap Alternative Cursors & Kriegsmarine Maptools"?
PM the moderator of the site and ask him to do that... you can not
stoianm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-11, 03:47 PM   #15
gap
Navy Seal

Thanks Stoianm
how do I contact him? I'm quite new here

Tags
compass, cursors, map tools, pointers, protractor