SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-17-10, 10:25 PM   #1
Abd_von_Mumit
The Old Man

Downloads: 46
Uploads: 4
Default [REL] EQuaTool - Elite Quality Map Tools for SH5 by AvM

Version 01.01 (2010 Sep 22)

EQuaTool changes the default Map Tools to better ones (packed in "Styles") that SubSim community has developed for years of modding SH series. Pick one Style out of many available (do NOT install whole mod!) and trim it with add-ons. Check the documentation folder to see how each of the Styles looks like.

Most Styles substitute only the "extended" series of Map Tools in game, leaving the "simple" series intact. Styles marked as "double" will however substitute both series of tools - these are intended for very demanding navigators who plot a lot and need extreme accuracy. Large tools included in them may also prove useful to shortsighted persons.

There are also add-ons. One replaces the "simple" series of tools with better looking ones, second allows adding a Large Style Ruler to any standard sized Style. Before installation check their respective descriptions below!

Download: EQuaTool - Elite Quality Map Tools for SH5 v. 01.01 by AvM

Included styles and add-ons

For comparison - this is how stock tools look like:

Flat Style
Standard sized, most similar to default set, but with much better looking tools for higher precision.

Kriegsmarine Style Family
All standard sized, they come in various flavours (check the Styles descriptions below). The hallmark of the Family is the Nazi Eagle on the tools - an exact copy of markings stamped on all tools/equipment officialy owned by Kriegsmarine (there were a few different designs of these stamps, only some were used).
Version without svastikas (much lower quality and not historically accurate) is discontinued, but available in version 01.00 of this mod (check my FileFront site: http://www.filefront.com/user/Abd_von_Mumit).
Kriegsmarine Regular Style
Standard sized, similar to default tools but more precise. The Eagle is a copy of real markings.

Kriegsmarine Light Style
Standard sized, similar to default tools but more precise. The Eagle is a copy of real markings.

Kriegsmarine Golden Style
Standard sized, similar to default tools but more precise. The Golden Eagle is my idea for eye-candy ("a luxury set") and may not be historically accurate (however the Eagle shape IS accurate).

Kriegsmarine Woody Regular Style
Standard sized, similar to default tools but more precise and with wooden handles/grips. The Eagle is a copy of real markings.

Kriegsmarine Woody Light Style
Standard sized, similar to default tools but more precise and with wooden handles/grips. The Eagle is a copy of real markings.

Kriegsmarine Woody Golden Style
Standard sized, similar to default tools but more precise and with wooden handles/grips. The Golden Eagle is my idea for eye-candy ("a luxury set") and may not be historically accurate (however the Eagle shape IS accurate).

Woody Style
Standard sized. These tools don't provide better accuracy than stock, but... they have wooden handles/grips.

Large Style
Non-standard sized. All tools are the same - they are large, VERY accurate and look professional. In fact they can be used in a truly professional manner, unlike their smaller brothers - check manual written for this tool by Moose Malloy, included in \documentation\manuals\malloy's ruller.rtf (written for SH3, some details may not apply to SH5 - I have not yet verified it for SH5).

Medium Style
Non-standard sized. A good compromise between standard and large sized tools. Very legible with thick markings.

Medium Faber-Castell Style
Non-standard sized. Same as "Medium Clean Style", but with additional markings (historically accurate KM Eagle, copy of real "Kriegsmarine" writing and pre-war "Faber-Castell" logo as producer of the tool, for immersion).

Double Set - Large plus Flat Style
Non-standard sized. Large Style as "extended" series of tools with Flat Style as "simple" series. For maximum precision and flexibility when plotting a lot. Uses coloured Eraser tool coming from "Add-on - Coloured Simple Tools".
Add-on - Large Style Ruler
For any "standard sized" Style replaces Ruler tool (extended series) with a Large Style Ruler (see Large Style description to see the Ruler).
Install ONLY on top of "standard sized" Styles - if installed on top of any "non-standard sized" Style, will render tools useless. This add-on may NOT be used independently (needs a "standard sized" Style installed first).
Add-on - Coloured Simple Tools
These are here for eye pleasure - they add more colours when working with a map, the also look more real than stock tools.
Install ONLY on top of "single" Styles - if installed on top of any "double set", will render tools useless. This add-on may be also used independently (without any Style installed).

Requirements
Silent Hunter 5 game, any version
JSGME 2.6 or higher

Installation
Install/uninstall ONLY using JSGME (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=173323) - mod will not work or can even render your tools useless if JSGME is not used. Copy and activate only one chosen Style folder (combining Styles may need manual tweaks in Mouse.cfg file) and optionally add-ons (check every add-on description for info on compatibility dependencies). For technical instructions on installation check JSGME help files.
"New UIs" by TDW mod users (so called "TDW mod"): any Styles must be activated after "New UIs". You will get a warning about overwriting "New UIs" files - ignore it (click "Ok") - it's perfectly safe. Otherwise you may install EQuaTool in any order relative to other mods.
You can safely install EQuaTool mid-patrol (NO need to start a new career or return to port).
Install while game is closed.

Updates
For current version of EQuaTool check: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=175050
To update remove any previous version of EQuaTool and install the new one.

Known issues/conflicts
To my knowledge EQuaTool is fully compatible with all mods available for SH5 on SubSim as per version 01.01 release date ("New UIs" users - check Installation notes).
In the future EQuaTool may conflict with mods that change Map Tools (especially when using the bigger than default size tools).

Further notes
All tools in EQuaTool come from other mods. I am very grateful to their authors for first making them, then releasing, and then letting me use their work.

Although I intend to develop EQuaTool further, I want it to remain very simple - for full compatibility with other mods. Thus I'm not planning to add or alter any GUI (interface) elements. If you are looking for a mod completely revamping Navigation Map look, EQuaTool is not the one.

Most probably there are some other good quality Map Tools created by SubSim community that I missed - if you happen to know about them or have them, please contact me. I'll be happy to include them in EQuaTool as well, for greater diversity, and also simply so that they don't vanish in our community's memory.

To-Do
  • Add "Huge Style" high resolution tools.
  • Add a lattitude/longitude grid overlay tools.
  • Add "depth checking" tool.
  • Add "Triangle Style" tools.
  • Add "Square Style" tools.
  • Add a trig slipstick (in a new mod?).

Documentation
EQuaTool replaces game files only in /data/Menu/MouseCurs/ folder. Depending on which Styles/add-ons are activated, always some .dds files are removed (.dds-remove feature of JSGME) and corresponding .tga files are placed instead. Every Style and some add-ons also install own (replace existing) Menu.cfg.
For list of files from external sources check documentation folder. For list of files that are replaced by EQuaTool check respective mod folders.

License
The parts of EQuaTool that do not come from external sources are released under license of your choice: "GNU General Public License" v. 2 or later or "ShareAlike" License.
The above means: you are free to do whatever you want with EQuaTool, but if you publish/distribute it or its derivatives, you must make it available under the same license I do (EQuaTool is to stay free forever). For details check the license of your choice or contact me.
For work of others' that I used, you are free to use it and modify it for your personal purposes. Other uses may require permission from rights owners - check respective readme files included in documentation folder, or contact the authors.

Credits
These people allowed me to use their work. EQuaTool wouldn't be created without their skill, effort and kindness:
  • [501]Otto - used his work as a "cover" illustration for this mod,
  • h.sie - used files from his SH3 mod "ACM-GUI Reloaded - h.sie's Edition V1.15",
  • latemail - used files from his SH3 mod "SH4 Maptools for SH3-Stock",
  • makman94 - used files from his SH3 mods "ImprovedMalloy'sRuler" and "The MaGui mod (version 3.4)",
  • reaper7 - used files from his SH5 mod "HiDef Realistic Interface V2.0",
  • TheDarkWraith - used files from his SH5 mod "NewUIs_TDC_4_3_1_ByTheDarkWraith".
I'm aware that other people also have contributed to development of Map Tools a lot for many years of SubSim community modding history. I am not able to list them all. I am grateful to them too.

All criticism, feedback, tips and requests welcome. Meet me on SubSim Forums (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/).

(-) Abd_von_Mumit

-------------

Changelog
2010.09.18, v. 01.00
  • Added "Flat Style".
  • Added "Kriegsmarine Style".
  • Added "Large Style".
  • Added "Medium Style".
  • Added "Woody Style".
  • Added "Double Set - Large plus Flat Style".
  • Added "Add-on - Coloured Simple Tools".
2010.09.22, v. 01.01
  • Researched symbols used by logistics service to mark goods and equipment that belonged to Kriegsmarine, then copied most often used markings and applied them to chosen Styles.
  • Added "Add-on - Large Style Ruler". Also replaced large Ruler (as in "Large Style") with a Ruler of size and style in line with rest of the tools in: "Flat Style", "Kriegsmarine Style". To have your large Ruler back, just install "Add-on - Large Style Ruler" after installing your standard sized tools.
  • Discontinued "Kriegsmarine Style", it now became a whole Family of Styles (see below). They have now much better quality and historically correct Eagle ("Reich's Eagle" instead of "Party Eagle"), the very one used by Kriegsmarine logistics.
  • Added "Kriegsmarine Light Style" - historically accurate, very simplified Eagle.
  • Added "Kriegsmarine Regular Style" - historically accurate, simplified Eagle.
  • Added "Kriegsmarine Golden Style" - eye-candy, large golden Eagle.
  • Added "Kriegsmarine Woody Light Style" - "Kriegsmarine Light Style" plus wooden handles/grips.
  • Added "Kriegsmarine Woody Regular Style" - "Kriegsmarine Regular Style" plus wooden handles/grips.
  • Added "Kriegsmarine Woody Golden Style" - "Kriegsmarine Golden Style" plus wooden handles/grips.
  • Refurbished "Woody Style" - same handles, but better new shadows and looks now more three-dimensional.
  • Renamed "Medium Style" to "Medium Clean Style".
  • Added "Medium Faber-Castell Style".
  • Replaced default Eraser Tool in "Double Set - Large plus Flat Style" with coloured Eraser from "Add-on - Coloured Simple Tools". Future double sets will use coloured Eraser as well.
  • Replaced all .dds files with .tga files, for disk space economy and better performance on slower computers. Added corresponding ".dds-remove" files for JSGME (this makes EQuaTool fully JSGME dependant - it won't work unless installed via JSGME).
  • Added "To do" section to documentation.
  • Fixed some minor issues with documentation files and folders.
Links: SH5 mods I use, FileFront, Manual plotting how-to

Last edited by Abd_von_Mumit; 09-22-10 at 09:29 AM.
Abd_von_Mumit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-10, 10:34 PM   #2
DavyJonesFootlocker
The Old Man

Downloads: 138
Uploads: 0

Care to explain what are these tools and what makes them different from the rest?...erm nevermind.
A proud member of the Wikipedia Haters Club

Last edited by DavyJonesFootlocker; 09-18-10 at 12:05 AM.
DavyJonesFootlocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-10, 11:58 PM   #3
Abd_von_Mumit
The Old Man

EDIT: Removed. Maybe TDW didn't notice.

Last edited by Abd_von_Mumit; 09-18-10 at 12:32 AM.
Old 09-18-10, 12:09 AM   #4
DavyJonesFootlocker
The Old Man

Downloads: 138

The Kriegsmarine style looks rad...nice work.
A proud member of the Wikipedia Haters Club
DavyJonesFootlocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-10, 04:15 AM   #5
Abd_von_Mumit
The Old Man

A forgotten note to "New UIs" mod users (so called TDW mod, by TDW): any EQuaTool Styles must be activated _after_ New UIs. You will get a warning about overwriting 4 "New UIs" files - ignore it (click "Ok"). The add-on may be activated in any order.
Old 09-18-10, 05:48 AM   #6
DrJones
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 341

Thats look really great. I've created yesterday nearly the samer for me and wantet to release them here today. ROFLLOL

I Don't mind.

Thanks a lot.
DrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-10, 06:24 AM   #7
Abd_von_Mumit
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJones View Post
Thats look really great. I've created yesterday nearly the samer for me and wantet to release them here today. ROFLLOL
So release it, especially that it's ready. Competition can only bring benefits (unless it turns into hostility, which is unlikely). And if you won't release it - share ideas/files - I'm in constant search for good map tools and ideas for better "Styles" or add-ons for this mod. Diversity (like competition) also brings rather good things.

Old 09-18-10, 10:47 AM   #8
BowfinSS287
Planesman

Downloads: 223

very nice work,they look great

any chance you could make the Kriegsmarine Style with wood?

thanks
BowfinSS287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-10, 11:50 AM   #9
etheberge
Watch Officer

Downloads: 614
Uploads: 10

Wow, these look awesome, thank you! I love all the different choices. Bravo!

11 War Patrols / 56 ships sunk or damaged for 212,022 tons
Zero casualties throughout the war
Scuttled on 8 May, 1945 in Sonderburg Bay, after German surrender
etheberge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-10, 01:54 PM   #10
vickers03
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 705
Uploads: 37

thanks, very nice
vickers03 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-10, 03:40 PM   #11
Abd_von_Mumit
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowfinSS287 View Post
any chance you could make the Kriegsmarine Style with wood?
Do you mean a combined double set or adding wooden handles to KM tools?

Glad you like it, gentlemen.
Old 09-18-10, 07:33 PM   #12
BowfinSS287
Planesman

Downloads: 223

I use your Kriegsmarine Style, but the wood really looks good
i bet you'll get the request for all versions to have the wood
BowfinSS287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-10, 09:00 PM   #13
SteelViking
The Old Man

Downloads: 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowfinSS287 View Post
I use your Kriegsmarine Style, but the wood really looks good
i bet you'll get the request for all versions to have the wood
I completely agree, the wood grips for the tools really adds a nice touch of realism. Excellent job.

He sank 198,650 tons....who you ask?....Erich Topp, that's who!
SteelViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-10, 07:23 AM   #14
Abd_von_Mumit
The Old Man

Working on KM Style + wooden handles/grips (which word suits better? - I'm not an English native speaker).

If you have any more requests, shoot.

Old 09-19-10, 07:37 AM   #15
Trevally.
Navy Seal

Downloads: 166
Uploads: 28

Hi Abd_von_Mumit, thanks for this mod

Dont know if this is possible but it would be great if we could draw parallel lines with the ruler.

At the mo we can grab a line at either end and adjust.

X------------X

If there could be a way to grab the whole line, say from an extra point and move it keeping the same bearing.

X-----X-----X

I know this would require more than image work.
What do you think?