SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-24-05, 07:36 AM   #1
terrapin
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default 'Seawolves' contains Mods by...

A good journalist has good sources, and should investigate things. Well, I have good insight now what 'Seawolves' contains....eg...:

Observer's Contact Map Mod. The Readme below is directly from the install directory of the english 'seawolves' version

----
Update:

I've updated this mod to eliminate the contact "tail". The only drawback to this mod is the tail for your uboat is also missing.

This version contains both the no contact color and tail mod. This zip is designed to work with the JoneSoft mod installer for SHIII. Unzip the files to your :\MODS folder making sure to use folder names when extracting the files. Select the mod with the JoneSoft installer and enjoy.

If you do not use the JoneSoft installer install the files to the directories below making sure to backup the originals first.

Full credit goes to Myros for the original concept and art...I've just tweaked it a bit. Original readme text below.

Observer
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

A mod for Silent Hunter III.

This mod is for those playing with the 'no map update' option on and who like added challenge/realism.

The radio icons that appear on the map to notify you of contacts outside of your own range are no longer color coded. You will no longer know if the are friend/neutral/enemy untill you ID them personaly.

If you encounter any problems etc drop me an email at sh3@neuralstudios.com

Myros
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

INSTALATION:

ContLine.tga .... this file goes in SilentHunterIII\Data\Menu\Gui\

All other tga files go in SilentHunterIII\Data\Menu\Gui\Units\

As always ..... MAKE A BACKUP before adding, changing or overwriting any game file. That way if you dont like a change you can restore the original.
Old 07-24-05, 07:39 AM   #2
Zachstar
Sea Lord

Downloads: 13
Uploads: 0

Im sure those arent the only mods they have taken.

Im sure its just the tip of the iceberg.

BTW post # 100 woot!

Zachstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-05, 07:39 AM   #3
terrapin
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

or Pato's bearing overlay v 3.0, again the readme from the 'Seawolves' install directory:

----
Bearing Overlay v3.0

Reworked numbers lines and added range circles up to 3000mts.

Install:

In C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII\data\Submarine\NSS_U boat**\NSS_Uboat**_shp.tga

Look for the TGA files on each folder and BACK UP the orginial ones, then you will have to manually rename this file to replace each of the original ones with its proper names for each type of hull.

Then backup the file Maps.cfg located in:

C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII\data\Menu\cfg\

Edit the file and modify this line from 5 to 20

SymbolZoom=20

This will allow the overlay to be visible with higer zoom levels

Note:

There is an offset of aprox +0.5 degree which is most obvious when heading east, this respond to some sort of asymmetry on the original file and I haven't been able to remove it completely.

Enjoy

Pato
Old 07-24-05, 07:41 AM   #4
terrapin
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

...from Nav Map tools v1.3...directly from the install directory of the english 'Seawolves' installation folder:

----

Nav Map tools v1.3 (SH3)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I highly recommend use with Jase's "360 Degree Bearing Plotter for Navigation Map".

v1.3:
- Corrected a stupid error in the compass.
- Added original files for uninstallation (SH3 v1.2 mouse.cfg and cursors)

v1.2:
- SH3 v1.2 patch compatible
- Changes to cursors:
new official protractor > normal protractor cursor (top:0, bottom:180)
ruler > reversed simple protractor cursor (top:180, bottom:0)
waypoint plotting tool > reversed compass cursor (top:south, bottom:north)
- Made markings slightly more clear.
- Since the protractor tool was added officially, I made "only with crosshairs" versions for all cursors. These are in folder named "Option/CrosshairOnly".

v1.1:
- 3 types of protractors (ruler cursors). Now you can select which to use from:
Reversed(top:180, bottom:0, default) / Normal(top:0, bottom:180) / Old version(v1.0).
- Remade the compass for waypoint tool.
- Small errors in mouse.cfg were corrected.
- Readme

v1.0:
- Added the protractor mouse cursor to the ruler.
- Added directional markings to the waypoint tool.
- Added cross hairs to other map tools (pencil, compass, eraser). You can pinpoint the exact location/object now.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why the markings on cursors of ruler/compass are inverted:
To tell you angles of the line which you are drawing (north = 0). Click your ship, extend a line, then read the markings. If you get confused about this, use the normal one in "Option-Ruler".

Installation:
- Move Mouse.cfg and all TGAs into /SilentHunterIII/data/menu/MouseCurs.
- If you wanna use the protractor with normal markings (top:0, bottom:180), move line.tga from the folder "Option-Ruler" to above mentioned place.
- If you think the big protractor cursors are no longer useful, use files in "Option/CrosshairOnly". These are the stock cursors with crosshairs.

Uninstallation:
- Original SH3 v1.2 files are in folder named "Backup".

Credits:
(in v1.0) I've used Chris L Peterson's compass image onto the cursor of waypoint tool with his permission. Thank you!

Cloudbait Observatory (http://www.cloudbait.com)

jiim (http://dod.xrea.jp/_silent/sh.htm)
Old 07-24-05, 08:37 AM   #5
terrapin
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

...and by Nico71 (unauthorized)...I'm pretty sure Anzackmicks and Sailor Steve's soundwork is also more or less 1:1 in 'Seawolves'....

So far I didn't find ANYTHING proprietary....

...btw...the complete package is 235 Megabytes...I don't understand why this couldn't be downloaded (in parts, that is...) by modem users.

Just for comparison: I'm providing more than 3.300 Megabytes of Mods and SH3 related files for free....

Did I mention that all I saw in 'Seawolves' is available for FREE at Subsim or my site?

Ah...the install of 'Seawolves' isn't easier at all than the procedure to install 'normal' Mods with JSGME...In fact it might be more complicated...
Old 07-24-05, 09:01 AM   #6
oRGy
Crusty

Downloads: 8

I've seen someone make the point in another thread that any modifications to ubi files belong to ubisoft. This may be in some circumstances, but international copyright law says that if you create anything original (such as Irishred's radio messages or Ail's new clouds), then thats yours and anyone who wants to use that work needs permission. So I'd get some community fund together to get some lawyer to check this out properly...
oRGy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-05, 09:26 AM   #7
Observer
Commander

Downloads: 6

Oh this is rich.

I guess PM doesn't work at this website. Oh wait. It does. Contacted my hairy backside.

X1 = thieves.
Observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-05, 10:42 AM   #8
GT182
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 658

Thanks Terrapin, this confirms the suspicions I had right from the start.

I for one will not buy it and call for a boycott, as The Avon Lady and Zachstar have done already.

Free is free and no matter who's putting out a "pay for" addon of free mods is, in my opinion, a thief.

No Borders, No Language, No Culture =s No Country

I'm a Deplorable, and proud of it.
GT182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-05, 10:47 AM   #9
Gairith
Planesman

Downloads: 4

Bloody Pirates

GWX 2.1 - SH3 Commander 3.2 - OLC Ubermod 2.4.2
-
DiD
Gairith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-05, 11:21 AM   #10
Dagger U-539
Seaman

Downloads: 1

remember to pass the word to every forum you can..I am busy doing it now.
Old 07-24-05, 05:04 PM   #11
KodiakPA
Gunner

Downloads: 7

It's appalling that X1 thought they could get away with stealing our modders hard work. Lousy no good rotten bloody pirates!
Old 07-24-05, 05:07 PM   #12
Shadow9216
Frogman

Downloads: 91

What store(s) did they say will carry this? They specifically mentioned a US distributor, anyone remember? It would be nice to give them a "heads up". I know some distributors here are ethical and would refuse to carry such a product, while others may not be so ethical but would want to steer clear of any possible controversy- including selling the disk.
Shadow9216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-05, 05:22 PM   #13
Syxx_Killer
Admiral

Downloads: 21

Quote:
What store(s) did they say will carry this? They specifically mentioned a US distributor, anyone remember?
Hmmm... I'm not sure if this is right but I thought it was Matrix Games?
Syxx_Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-05, 01:44 AM   #14
Drebbel
Dutch Sea Lord

Downloads: 1

@Terrapin: For a person that is against Seewolfe you are sure doing a lot of media coverage for them
Drebbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-05, 01:46 AM   #15
The_Pharoah
Soundman

Downloads: 51

Are these guys serious? putting together a few freeware mods made by others in a pay-ware 'addon'??
The_Pharoah is offline   Reply With Quote