Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-16-13, 10:29 AM   #1
ExFishermanBob
Difficulties Numbing

Downloads: 43
Uploads: 0

Default Permission to come aboard

Hullo All - thought I'd say hullo.

I used to be a Lobster and Crab fisherman in the Outer Hebrides. Also worked on St. Kilda (Hirta) for a while: used to travel across on HMAV Ardennes or Arakan (dunno if there's anyone here who remember them). I think they were old enough to possibly even be modelled in SH3, I'll have to sail around Village Bay and see....

Loving SH3 - particularly standing on-deck when leaving port.... can almost smell the dead crab in the bilge. Wonder if I could sneak a creel or two on-board and lift them when we return from a mission. Might be able to set them via the No. 1 tube...hmmmm
ExFishermanBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-13, 10:48 AM   #2
von Kinderei
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 150

Wel-come aboard Kaleun ...
Old 08-16-13, 11:05 AM   #3
Valentino
Weps

Downloads: 26

Welcome ExFishermanBob
Valentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-13, 11:32 AM   #4
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Welcome aboard Kaleun: My inlaws hail from Mull and I was just at Oban myself. (Facing the Hebrides at least.) Watch out for the Flanman Isles when on condensed time: I've grounded there a few times rounding the Faeros to return to Base when the Channel becomes lethal. They're easy to overlook when setting course... Might be the gulf stream current. From the Calif. wine country and Dungeness crabs myself, I spent my time in Caledonia learning the vagaries of highland and peat fired Scotch. Settled on a 21 yr old Glengoyne which I opened with my shipmates when we painted our 37 ft, 2 masted ketch hull with copper based paint. My brother served in the US navy, occasionally at Scapa Flow. Happy hunting just to the west of Scapa, Kaleun!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-13, 12:02 PM   #5
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

As to U-110:Built at Germiawerf, Kiel and launched 28JUL1917. Two commanders: Otto von Schubert and Korvettenkapitan Karl Albrecht Koll. On three patrols from 22NOV1917 to 15MAR1918 U-110 sank 10 ships for 26,963 tons. On 15MAR1918 at 50'49 N> 08'06 W, U-110 was depth changed in tandem by HMS Micheal and HMS Moresby. She surfaced but then sank with 32 dead and nine survivors not including Koll. Since the location is just north of Ireland, some transport of the remains to Scotland must have occurred as it a considerable distance to the Outer Hebrides to the Northeast from the sink site.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Old 08-16-13, 12:13 PM   #6
ExFishermanBob
Difficulties Numbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
Welcome aboard Kaleun: My inlaws hail from Mull and I was just at Oban myself. (Facing the Hebrides at least.) Watch out for the Flanman Isles when on condensed time: I've grounded there a few times rounding the Faeros to return to Base when the Channel becomes lethal. They're easy to overlook when setting course... Might be the gulf stream current. From the Calif. wine country and Dungeness crabs myself, I spent my time in Caledonia learning the vagaries of highland and peat fired Scotch. Settled on a 21 yr old Glengoyne which I opened with my shipmates when we painted our 37 ft, 2 masted ketch hull with copper based paint. My brother served in the US navy, occasionally at Scapa Flow. Happy hunting just to the west of Scapa, Kaleun!

Mmmmm....Glengoyne. If you ever get a chance, try 'Te Bheag' (pronounced chey vick) which is made in Skye but is available in the U.S. (and very popular in Canada, so I've read).

Thanks for the warning about the Flannans: I'm still managing to sneak through the Channel.

I sailed right up into my old fishing haunts using the sub - fantastic to sail around the Hebrides again and into Village Bay in St. Kilda.

I did a run into Scapa (repeating Prien's attack) - it was fantastic to approach and find the blockade ships and the gap between them...with the sub, not the fishing boat.
Old 08-16-13, 12:20 PM   #7
ExFishermanBob
Difficulties Numbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
As to U-110:Built at Germiawerf, Kiel and launched 28JUL1917. Two commanders: Otto von Schubert and Korvettenkapitan Karl Albrecht Koll. On three patrols from 22NOV1917 to 15MAR1918 U-110 sank 10 ships for 26,963 tons. On 15MAR1918 at 50'49 N> 08'06 W, U-110 was depth changed in tandem by HMS Micheal and HMS Moresby. She surfaced but then sank with 32 dead and nine survivors not including Koll. Since the location is just north of Ireland, some transport of the remains to Scotland must have occurred as it a considerable distance to the Outer Hebrides to the Northeast from the sink site.
Thank you very much for that information: hope you spotted the link to the photographs of U.110.

In the islands you get all sorts of flotsam and jetsam: one woman I knew used to have a New York dairy's crate for storing her firewood and peat, so 100 miles or so from Ireland is not too far. One of my neighbours on Berneray told me that a load of "Indian" sailors washed up on the south side of the Sound of Harris and were buried around Otternish. He himself was torpedoed twice: he was on minesweepers off Lowestoft.
Old 08-16-13, 12:43 PM   #8
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Welcome to SubSim

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-13, 12:59 PM   #9
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Herr Koll, born 1882, must have been man of some means as his formal portrait was painted of him in uniform. The rank of Korvettankapitan was often bestowed posthumously. Even Col. Joshua Chamberlain of Gettysburg-Little Roundtop immortal fame in the Civil War fame was promoted to general by Gen. Grant only because of his severe wounds from which he wasn't expected to survive. He survived for the next fifty years as governor and college president and led veteran reunions at Gettysburg in 1913! An age gone by...Dungeness Scotch?...Hoot Man! I'll need a French oak barrel and some Spanish Sherry and a whole lotta peat!

Old 08-16-13, 02:00 PM   #10
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453

Welcome Aboard!

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-13, 05:18 PM   #11
desertstriker
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 998

welcome to subsim herr kaluen
desertstriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-13, 05:29 PM   #12
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

Hello and Welcome to Subsim!
Old 08-16-13, 05:42 PM   #13
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Welcome to SubSim Bob.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-13, 06:00 PM   #14
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3228

Welcome to SUBSIM!!!

Enjoy!

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote