SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-23-13, 03:04 AM   #1
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 4

Default Radars and Conning Towers (Turms)

Most of the U-boat turms (= conning tower, an object separate from the U-boat hull in SH3) for U-boats Type 7 and type 9 contain two slots for radar, called R01 and R02.

R01 is connected to the front of the U-boat conning tower, and is fixed (should be used only for FuMO29).

R02 is on the side of the conning tower, and allows for rotating radars (FuMO30 and later radars).

However, in the stock game, the rotating radars always get placed in the R01 slot.

The solution to this, adopted by all the super-mods (including NYGM and GWX) is to make R01 (which is the only slot available for the simple turms 7b/1, 7c/1, 9b/1 and 9c/1) also the preferred slot for all the other turms which allow rotating radars also. That is, R02 in turms like 7c/2 and 9c/3 has been renamed to R01, and the existing R01 has been renamed to R02 (NYGM) or discarded entirely (GWX).

The problem with this approach is that the fixed radar FuMO29 will be placed on the side-conning tower position, where it looks very silly, while the rotating radars such as FuMO30 will be placed rotating at the front of those turms with only the R01 slot available (such as 7c/1, 9c/1) at the front of the turm. The aerial rotating round the front of the conning tower also looks ridiculous.

Anvart asked me some time ago to see if I could find a hard-code fix for this irritating problem.
It took a long time to locate the code where the sensors are assigned, but finally I found it. And now I have fixed it!

It has been claimed in the past that R02 is not connected to anything, but this is mistaken. The real reason that R02 appears not to function properly is simple: there is only one radar carried by the U-boat. As the code cycles backwards (sic) through all its sensors, R01 is always encountered before R02, and therefore receives the one radar. R02 is left with nothing, when its turn comes in the code.

The question is: will anyone want this fix?

These are the difficulties:
1. The code fix will have to be added to the Stiebler code patch for Hsie’s code patch. However, many users have reported difficulty with installing the Stiebler patch, in particular, since it requires alteration of other files too.
2. New turms will be needed. For NYGM, these can be obtained easily simply by reversing the values of R02 and R01 in the existing turm.dat files. However, other users may need more complex solutions (eg, GWX has renamed the R02 node to R01 for turms/2 and /3 and deleted the original R01 node completely), and all users will need to have an R02 node added to their turms/1 objects. These changes can be made with Skywas’ S3Ditor. All added R02 nodes MUST follow this rule: the R02 node must have a lower node number than the R01 node. (For example, look for cfg#R02_Turm_7c_3_high in file data\objects\Turm7c_3_hd.dat - this is turm/3 for the 7C U-boat.)
3. The new turms will not be compatible with those currently in use by all the super-mods, and therefore will be useless to those who cannot install the code fix. Therefore the new turms for all super-mods must be distributed as part of the code fix, and not separately.

What do other players think?

As a final issue, that can probably be easily solved, the rotating radar is placed at right angles to its correct position when at rest. Therefore it protrudes into the conning tower. Does anyone know how to change the rest angle of the rotating radars?

Stiebler.
Stiebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-13, 10:24 AM   #2
Ligne Maginot
Gunner

Downloads: 141
Uploads: 0

@ Stiebler:

"For NYGM, These can be Easily Obtained simply by reversing the values ​​of R02 and R01 in the turm.dat existing files."

You mean the names of the nodes (eg. "cfg#R01_Turm7b_2_High" changed for "cfg#R02_Turm7b_2_High") or the values ​​of "Traslation" and "Rotation", in the turm.dat?

Thanks for your attention.

Long live to the NYGM.
Ligne Maginot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-13, 11:33 AM   #3
Anvart
Admiral

Downloads: 122
Uploads: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiebler View Post
The solution to this, adopted by all the super-mods (including NYGM and GWX) is to make R01 (which is the only slot available for the simple turms 7b/1, 7c/1, 9b/1 and 9c/1) also the preferred slot for all the other turms which allow rotating radars also. That is, R02 in turms like 7c/2 and 9c/3 has been renamed to R01, and the existing R01 has been renamed to R02 (NYGM) or discarded entirely (GWX).
You do not understand solution of this problem in GWX, i think... In GWX for solution of problem, geometry of Turm7c_3_hd (and maybe geometry of some other turms, now I already do not remember) has been changed... and in Sensors.dat the geometry of radar antenna (3DFM29GEMA) was placed in the Dummy container... the same was done for 3DFM29GEMA_type9.
Quote:
Anvart asked me some time ago to see if I could find a hard-code fix for this irritating problem.
It has been claimed in the past that R02 is not connected to anything, but this is mistaken. The real reason that R02 appears not to function properly is simple: there is only one radar carried by the U-boat. As the code cycles backwards (sic) through all its sensors, R01 is always encountered before R02, and therefore receives the one radar. R02 is left with nothing, when its turn comes in the code.
Maybe I do not understand you... but in sh3.exe there is a direct call to the R01 node (through the stack), which is used to install these radar antennas (choice of equipment submarine) in Campaigns!.. in the single missions you can use the node R02 through *.sns file.
... in any case sh3.exe "to the studio".
Quote:
As a final issue, that can probably be easily solved, the rotating radar is placed at right angles to its correct position when at rest. Therefore it protrudes into the conning tower. Does anyone know how to change the rest angle of the rotating radars?
In e.g. FM30_UpDown_final mod, I tryed to solve the problem of positioning and animation of the radar antenna through StateMachine Control/Class and crew commands.

P.S.
I'm not sure, but may be for Campaigns need an additional code, e.g.:
if (FuMO29GEMA) nodeName = "R01";
else nodeName = "R02";

Moses said: "Don't create yourself an idol"...

Last edited by Anvart; 07-23-13 at 01:05 PM.
Anvart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-13, 11:44 AM   #4
Myxale
Admiral

Downloads: 70

I'm not gonna pretend I understand everything you said Stieb.

But it is obvious that you managed to pull of another mojo out of your hat.

Kudos

Myxale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-13, 10:20 PM   #5
Anvar1061
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 847

SSS
I want New Super Turms!
Anvar1061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-13, 01:30 AM   #6
Anvart
Admiral

The request to the wrong address.
Stiebler is not engaged such work.

Old 07-24-13, 04:56 AM   #7
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

Thanks for the replies, everyone, and especially to Anvart for his detailed account. I shall try to examine what Anvart says.

However, I note that no one has requested me to make a code release of the fix (yet). I can understand their decisions. It will certainly make a large omelette of the different releases of turms.

@linea Maginot:
Quote:
You mean the names of the nodes (eg. "cfg#R01_Turm7b_2_High" changed for "cfg#R02_Turm7b_2_High") or the values ​​of "Traslation" and "Rotation", in the turm.dat?
I mean, simply change cfg#R01 to #R02, and change cfg#R02 to #R01 (for NYGM turms).
However, these changes will be worthless without my new code.

Stiebler.
Old 07-24-13, 12:28 PM   #8
Ligne Maginot
Gunner

Downloads: 141

Waiting for the new code, thanks.

Back to port...
Ligne Maginot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-13, 01:12 PM   #9
reaper7
sim2reality

Downloads: 258
Uploads: 30

Exe fix sounds wonderful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
reaper7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-13, 09:25 AM   #10
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

I have now made a lot of effort to make the FuMO30 radar start and end in the conning tower slot on the port side. At present, the radar aerial starts a patrol with the aerial at right angles (90 degrees) to the direction of travel. Thus it extends into the conning tower itself. It faces the same way as the older fixed FuMO29 aerial on the conning tower front. (I'm using H.sie's hard-code radar fix, which prevents the radar from being active when you load a patrol. Until then, I suppose no one ever knew the the angle of the radar at the beginning of a patrol, since it began turning immediately.)

When the radar is lowered, its final direction is always that of the direction in which it faced when the command was given to lower the aerial. Therefore, a fussy user could sail out, switch on the radar, wait until it has an angle of 0 degrees to the bow, and lower it again. But it would be better if this could be done automatically.

The obvious route seemed to be to set the rotation y axis for the FuMO30 aerial to 0 (was 1.570796 radians = 90 degrees) in sensors.dat. Also, to set the rotation of the same aerial in turm 9C/2 (a test turm) to 0 (was 1.570796 radians).

This makes no difference to the placement of the radar aerial as soon as the patrol begins.

Anvart has in the past produced two FuMO30 mods, one for GWX and one for NYGM.
When these mods are installed unaltered, with JSGME, into GWX and into NYGM, the radar aerials still begin and end at an angle of 90 degrees. This is surprising, since (in NYGM) the start, the stop, and the rotation of the D/F aerial all work perfectly.

Thus, I have yet to see any demonstration that a rotating radar aerial can be made to start and to stop at 0 degrees (as required), rather than at 90 degrees.

Does anyone else know any better? If so, what is the method?

Stiebler.

Last edited by Stiebler; 07-26-13 at 09:57 AM.
Old 08-04-13, 03:58 AM   #11
Leitender
Planesman

Downloads: 50

Hi Stiebler,

reread your thread again, and now i start to understand what you mean. I can´t help you either since i´m no programmer but let me say that i´m aware of this radar "effect" for a long time and though it´s not that important to annoy me (there are other things like unlimited pressure air, reloading batteries with destroyed engines, bullish pilots ) i would be glad to have a fix for that.

Quote:
I suppose no one ever knew the the angle of the radar at the beginning of a patrol, since it began turning immediately.
After my observation (using LSH with Anvart´s fumo30updown-mod) it always starts at an odd angle (around 45°, seems to be always the same), but certainly neither at 0° nor at 90°. If i order to switch off the radar it´ll always skip to the correct position (longside, i.e. 0°?).

So i´m waiting for the things to come and take this posting as occasion to thank you one more time for your overwhelming contribution to the community. By the way, the same compliment goes to grandmaster Anvart, of course.
Leitender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-13, 04:25 AM   #12
Anvart
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiebler View Post
... Until then, I suppose no one ever knew the the angle of the radar at the beginning of a patrol, since it began turning immediately.)

I knew, if I understood you correctly... because back in 2006 I made ​​the first mod - raising/lowering the radar antenna (Dial technique)... and more improved variant (used system of crew behavior) in 2009, 2010 for GWX. In this case problem (correctly, i do not have beautiful solution) is re-initialisation of radar and correspondently changing angle of antenna when user replaces radioman (Toggle_radar_view user command)... for raising/lowering radar antenna i use animations, which are turned on by crew commands (radio operator) Radar_one_sweep, Radar_continuous_sweep, Radar_turn_off... User command Radar_toggle_on_off is blocked.
H.sie made corrections in sh3.exe and now the game starts with radar off for surfaced submarine... and it's + for my mod... otherwise at the start of the game I should had to raise the antenna always for the correct positioning of the antenna.
The initial angular position of the antenna raising/lowering animation dispose an antenna along the pocket of the turm... after raising, the antenna, under the influence of rotation animation, quickly is taking the correct angular position.
It's a complex mod, sensitive to changes of the components of mod.
It's pure visual effect without changing the radar parameters.
... and I have no glitches described by Leitender never for GWX, LSH. I did not change game's animation of antenna rotation.
LSH is not a typical case. For LSH I did work without full LSH mod... and i didn't support LSH variant. I lost my mods data more 3 years ago... and on Maik's ftp server you can download not correct versions.

Last edited by Anvart; 08-04-13 at 11:37 AM.
Old 08-04-13, 07:46 AM   #13
Leitender
Planesman

Downloads: 50

Quote:
The initial angular position of the animation of antenna raising/lowering places an antenna along the pocket of the turm... after raising, the antenna, under the influence of rotation animation, quickly is taking the correct angular position.
Oh, i´m sorry, my description was not precise enough. The anntenna behaves like Anvart says, be it switched on or off. By the way, this does not touch the R01/R02 front/side item at all.
Leitender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-13, 12:37 PM   #14
Sepp von Ch.
Sea Lord

Downloads: 788

Hello Stiebler, I would appreciate such a mod!
Sepp von Ch. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-13, 12:04 PM   #15
Dani
Helmsman

Downloads: 349

Quote:
The question is: will anyone want this fix?
I do!
Dani is offline   Reply With Quote