SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-06-13, 12:58 PM   #1
J0313
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1804
Uploads: 0
Default Frustrated

I hate the fact that you cant radio in a convoy/task force report in SH4 unless you have eyes on the ship and/or ships in the group. I think that if you have a solid radar contact and you know that it cant be anything but an enemy task force then you should be able to give a position report based just off of radar data. Last night I had a positive ID on at least 2 of the ships in the task force and since I was at radar depth I also think that you should be able to send a message when you are at radar depth.
J0313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-13, 01:27 PM   #2
J0313
Grey Wolf

How would you change this? If some one could point me in the right direction then I will try it myself and hopefully come up with something.
Old 05-06-13, 01:57 PM   #3
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I don't think you can change it. It's the same with SH3. You should be able to report anything you want without being in contact at all. The games forget things that aren't there anymore. It's just like in SH3 where if the wounded sailor has been healed you can't give him a wound badge because he's not wounded anymore.

Silly, really.
Old 05-06-13, 02:04 PM   #4
J0313
Grey Wolf

That really blows. Right now I am in the mission during the Battle of the Phillippine Sea where you run into the big Jap TF. I was going to report the TF but decided against it becouse I was picking up alot of radar signals. Soooo, I just went for the approach and got the Taiho with 4 out of six fish. She went down in about 4 minutes.Anyhow I dont think its going to give me credit for completeing the mission becouse I didnt report the TF.
Old 05-06-13, 02:25 PM   #5
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

yep you might fix it to be able to report but the "what" you report is decided by the game and as steve pointed out the game would forget and report nothing in your report.

then again reporting can give your position away "in theory" so you certainly wouldnt want to do it unless you were 100% sure it wasn't friendly or neutral shipping and you can only do that visually

I would like to be able to "save" a contact report so I can get out of the area before sending a report and revealing myself to any enemy listening nearby but this too cant be done because of the way the game engine works
Old 05-06-13, 02:56 PM   #6
J0313
Grey Wolf

That would be to much like real life. Shame on you for even considering that Webster! LOL!!
Old 05-06-13, 05:09 PM   #7
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

check your PM.

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-13, 01:29 AM   #8
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 16

Transmitting without an antenna above the water won't work. So transmitting at radar depth isn't feasible either.

USS Kentucky SSBN 737 (G)
Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Yes I was really on a submarine.
ETR3(SS) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-13, 06:39 AM   #9
J0313
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETR3(SS) View Post
Transmitting without an antenna above the water won't work. So transmitting at radar depth isn't feasible either.

So where is the antenna?
Old 05-07-13, 06:47 AM   #10
J0313
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETR3(SS) View Post
Then do you want to explain to me how come you can recieve transmissions at radar depth?
Old 05-07-13, 07:19 AM   #11
J0313
Grey Wolf

Dont worry there ETR. Both of those questions are retorical. I already know the answers. YES you can transmit and recieve at radar depth and you can do both when using low frequency radio at periscope depth. Check out this site if you dont believe me.

http://www.ka8vit.com/subops/subop4.htm
Old 05-08-13, 01:03 AM   #12
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 16

Take a closer look at my sig. Comms Div stands for Communications Division. Also your link made no mention of transmitting and receiving at any depth.

USS Kentucky SSBN 737 (G)
Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Yes I was really on a submarine.

Last edited by ETR3(SS); 05-08-13 at 01:25 AM.
ETR3(SS) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-13, 10:47 PM   #13
J0313
Grey Wolf

Gee, were you a submariner 60 years ago? Didnt think so. Dont really care what your rate is and I happen to know that they could transmit and recieve at radar depth. So take a hike.

Also take a closer look at the shears in the external diagram. Notice the DF loop and the radio antenna, both of which would be well out of the water at radar depth.
Old 05-17-13, 11:31 PM   #14
Redmane
Torpedoman

Downloads: 20
Default Actually...

Really, I'm gonna have to go with ETR3 on this one. Got curious about this and checked out that link, and ETR3 is correct, the fellow who wrote that makes no mention at all regarding the capabilities of the equipment to receive or transmit while submerged at any depth. Here's another link that sort of covers the subject, and explains exactly why a submerged boat would not be able to transmit at all on any frequency, but could recieve a VLF (very low frequency) signal. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communi...ith_submarines

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bullet-proof. -V
Redmane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-13, 08:53 AM   #15
J0313
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmane View Post
Really, I'm gonna have to go with ETR3 on this one. Got curious about this and checked out that link, and ETR3 is correct, the fellow who wrote that makes no mention at all regarding the capabilities of the equipment to receive or transmit while submerged at any depth. Here's another link that sort of covers the subject, and explains exactly why a submerged boat would not be able to transmit at all on any frequency, but could recieve a VLF (very low frequency) signal. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communi...ith_submarines
Yes Redmane I agree that WW2 boats couldnt transmit while COMPLETLEY submerged. They could only recieve LF transmissions and even then they had to be shallow. The point I am trying to make is that a Fleetboat could transmit and recieve at RADAR DEPTH. The shears are out of the water and the radio Antenna is completely out of the water. I read the same wiki article you did before you even brought it up. The reason I pointed to the article is becouse of the external diagram. It shows the positioning of the antenna. And it clearly shows that AT RADAR DEPTH, the radio apperatus is out of the water HELLO.