SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-12-11, 01:07 PM   #1
Pilot_76
Chief

Downloads: 427
Uploads: 0
About periscope up speed damage

Playing Dangerous Waters there is a limit (I think 5-8 kts) that the periscope can be raised while submerged/surfaced without suffering damage. SH 4 or other SH do not have this feature. If this is the real thing on WWII boats as well can we modify some files to simulate this?
Pilot_76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-11, 08:30 AM   #2
Kongo Otto
Commodore

Downloads: 203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot_76 View Post
Playing Dangerous Waters there is a limit (I think 5-8 kts) that the periscope can be raised while submerged/surfaced without suffering damage. SH 4 or other SH do not have this feature. If this is the real thing on WWII boats as well can we modify some files to simulate this?
Well modern subs can go way faster than 8 knots when submerged so there is a need for an speed limit to raise the periscope.
Fleet Boats and U-Boats couldn't go faster than 8 knots while submerged so there is no need for such a limitation.
Kongo Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-11, 10:41 AM   #3
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

On the other hand there is anecdotal evidence that raising the periscope at more than 3 knots would cause enough vibration to render the image unviewable.
Old 11-13-11, 12:40 PM   #4
Pilot_76
Chief

I got damage at 8 kts in DW or a bit faster so I thought raising the scope while submerged at 9kts in a Balao would do damage as well....I was just curious as if in a real WWII boat they would go from ahead full to 1/3 submerged to prevent damage to the scope.
Old 11-13-11, 02:18 PM   #5
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

As I said, it's my understanding that damage wasn't the problem so much as not being able to see anything due to vibration. That said, I really don't know the exact parameters and problems.

I always slow down to use the periscopes, but that may just be me.
Old 11-13-11, 03:52 PM   #6
Pilot_76
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
As I said, it's my understanding that damage wasn't the problem so much as not being able to see anything due to vibration. That said, I really don't know the exact parameters and problems.

I always slow down to use the periscopes, but that may just be me.
Yep. That's common sense. I'd do that too.
Old 11-13-11, 04:28 PM   #7
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

I think SS is right about it being mainly a vibration issue. Possibly it also made the feather easier to spot; I'm not sure about that. O' Kane talked about stopping the engines and waiting as their speed fell before raising the scope. In the game though, it is more of a pain because the boats do not slow rapidly on their own, so some put the engines in reverse to accomplish this.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-11, 06:23 PM   #8
berobispo
Helmsman

Downloads: 174
Uploads: 4

I'm also trying to use the periscope only at 1/3 ahead for detection reasons (when within 6000 yards, sticking to the submarine manual from the hnsa.org website) but I'd like to know whether the game/mods actually take this into consideration when it decides how likely detection from a destroyer is:-)
berobispo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-11, 07:00 PM   #9
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by berobispo View Post
I'm also trying to use the periscope only at 1/3 ahead for detection reasons (when within 6000 yards, sticking to the submarine manual from the hnsa.org website) but I'd like to know whether the game/mods actually take this into consideration when it decides how likely detection from a destroyer is:-)
AFAIK, it does not. Detection is these circumstances is mainly governed by sea state, light, and length of exposure, I think. I wouldn't worry about being spotted beyond 4,000 yd. though. I mean really if they are too far away for you to see a man on deck or any details of their ships (at 6x magnification), how on earth would they be able to see your periscope?
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-11, 12:25 PM   #10
berobispo
Helmsman

Downloads: 174
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpX View Post
how on earth would they be able to see your periscope?
I think the water feather the periscope draws would be visible, but as I am not a sailor I can't say...
berobispo is offline   Reply With Quote