SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-16-11, 09:54 PM   #1
prowler3
XO

Downloads: 77
Uploads: 0
Default MOD order and a few other (for GWX 3) ??

Well it's amazing how much you forget about modding SH3/GWX Gold, after just a few years! I had even forgotten what was already included in GWX Gold (Nomograph, etc.). A good day spent reading the GWX manual, and the mods included, was very helpful. But I still have some questions for you, when you have the time.

External camera: I could have sworn that I used to be able to use an external view, which followed the boat (not the "Free Camera", which you must move if you want to follow your boat) and could be zoomed in or out? I have a feeling I'm not remembering correctly as a few runs at the Academy have failed to produce this ability. Am I just old, was it a mod...or does this ability not exist at all?

A few questions on MODS I wish to install:

LifeBoats&Debris_v4:
Should I just move the entire folder of this name into MODS, or do I have to seperate out the "optional" folder and add or make changes seperately?
Here's what I liked in my previous SH3 life: Bodies in the water (OK, I'm morbid that way!), the "Buoyance&draught_mod" and the
"LifeBoat1_crew_standman" mod. I've read the instructions but I'm still very unsure (and I don't remember) how I installed this previously in JSGME.

GWX 3 St Naz and Schluese:
Another MOD with several mods in the MODS folder...Lite Harbor Traffic and Merged Campaign. I was not planning on using "Lite harbor traffic"...do I need to remove this one from the "GWX 3 St Naz and Schluese/MODS" folder?

I see the following instructions on GWX MOD installation order and I understand it:
GWX_Alternative Flotillas:
1. "GWX – Navigation Maps and Grid References in English" must be installed before "Alternative flotillas"
2. Disable SH3 Commander "Use historic U-boat availability dates".

I have found other GWX MOD instructions but they deal mostly with stuff I need later in my career, like late war sensors or the VIIC41 Player
sub...things I don't need to add at this moment, I believe. Here's a shot of the things in my MODS folder...and the ones I'd like to add, pointed out.
Add to this list the "Lifeboats&Debris_V4" and "GWX 3 St Naz and Schleuse" mods (once I figure out how I should go about them, above) and, please, point out any glaring errors or problems and give me a required order to install these so everything works? Again, thanks to all for helping me out with this!

Vic
prowler3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-11, 10:50 PM   #2
Fish In The Water
Prince of
the Sea

SUBSIM
Welcome
Committee

Downloads: 98
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler3 View Post
External camera: I could have sworn that I used to be able to use an external view, which followed the boat (not the "Free Camera", which you must move if you want to follow your boat) and could be zoomed in or out?
Try the '<' and '>' keys for a ship cam that follows your progress.

As for the proposed mod order, I don't see any obvious issues so I'd be inclined to go ahead with a test activation.

Fish In The Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-11, 11:48 PM   #3
prowler3
XO

Fish, my screenshot was just a listing (those in red) that I want to add. I know that they can't be added in the order they are as it ignores the GWX requirement

"GWX_Alternative Flotillas:
1. "GWX ***8211; Navigation Maps and Grid References in English" must be installed before "Alternative flotillas".

I also remember, pretty clearly, that there were requirements for many of the others, including "LifeBoats&Debris_v4" and "GWX 3 St Naz and Schluese". I remember because I had to move mods up and down, in the order, to get them to work correctly when I first started modding GWX...I just don't remember the exact order to make it all work...but there is an exact order. It had to do with which mod changed what (many will change different files in the same folder) and if you don't get it right, one overwrites the other changes.

I'll try your camera suggestion right now as I'm going to give the Academy another run. I've done the entire Academy at least 5 times in the past...but it's a perfect way to reaquaint myself with the various controls. You don't want to hear that damn pinging and go completely wrong! "Flank?...FLANK? Are you kidding me??? He had no idea where we were!"

Last edited by prowler3; 09-17-11 at 12:10 AM.
Old 09-17-11, 01:21 AM   #4
prowler3
XO

Fish, the "<" and ">" worked perfectly! I could not remember how to do that! Thank you, Sir!
Old 09-17-11, 03:21 AM   #5
Fish In The Water
Prince of
the Sea

SUBSIM
Welcome
Committee

Downloads: 98
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler3 View Post
Fish, the "<" and ">" worked perfectly! I could not remember how to do that! Thank you, Sir!
You're very welcome!

And yes you're quite right about the importance of enabling mods in the correct order. If one does overwrite a portion of a previous entry, chances are the predecessor may no longer function correctly. As a general rule, whatever writes last takes precedence so you need to test your setup to make sure your game is stable, (without CTD's), and that your desired features are all working.

Good luck and happy hunting!

Fish In The Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-11, 04:00 AM   #6
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

*In response to your PM*

I am currently at work but upon my return home this evening I will post a screenshot of a successful JSGME installation dating back one and or two years.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-11, 11:29 AM   #7
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

March 09

Dec 09

Old 09-17-11, 02:18 PM   #8
prowler3
XO

Excellent! That also seems to indicate that the Lifeboats& debris V4 and GWX 3 St Naz and Schluese get put in the MODS folder basically "as is", other than renaming a few files in the Lifeboats file for options.

That's exactly what I needed to get me going.

Thanks guys!

Vic
Old 09-17-11, 03:51 PM   #9
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

SINK EM ALL!!