SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-14-11, 07:04 PM   #1
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Default Force Z...RSRD

Snooping around in the RSRD layers....noticed in 1941 the British Force Z sails from Singapore and its set to be attacked on 10 December by IJN bombers from Indochina.Being based all way to Manila, think it would be impossible to reach the scene on time but would love to see the attack, perhaps add some AA fire if possible.

Anyone know how to make it where can start closer to the scene? say make Singapore a start option for US subs since it was in Allied hands at time.Thanks in advance
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-11, 08:56 AM   #2
Daniel Prates
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 0

Wow!

Since you're there, check out if the sinking of the prince of wales and the repulse is also scripted.
Daniel Prates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-11, 02:03 PM   #3
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Prates View Post
Wow!

Since you're there, check out if the sinking of the prince of wales and the repulse is also scripted.

it is, Prince of Wales and Repluse were "Force Z" along with four destroyers.In the files can see where a large wave of G4M bombers(G3M is not in game) armed with bombs and torpedos fly from Indochina to attack the Prince of Wales and Repluse.

Can't reach the scene in time even at 20 knots.Need to find out how to start closer to scene so can make it.
Old 07-15-11, 02:35 PM   #4
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
it is, Prince of Wales and Repluse were "Force Z" along with four destroyers.In the files can see where a large wave of G4M bombers(G3M is not in game) armed with bombs and torpedos fly from Indochina to attack the Prince of Wales and Repluse.

Can't reach the scene in time even at 20 knots.Need to find out how to start closer to scene so can make it.
You probably could adjust the files to change Surabaya to your docking base, OTT, don't see how you could reach it in time, I've tried. You can attack the returning JP TF coming back from Pearl Harbor, that's fun, just start out of Manila and haul flank to the Bungo and wait. Fuel isn't a problem with TMO if you go 10kts you can now go around the world several times, but even before you just needed to haul flank back to Manila and refit before you lost the base.

Last edited by Armistead; 07-15-11 at 02:48 PM.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-11, 04:38 PM   #5
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Quote:

Use the Pre-Pearl Harbor mod, so you can start before Dec. 7.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-11, 12:48 AM   #6
Armistead
Rear Admiral

You probably could use the pearl mod, haven't tried it with the latest version of TMO/RSRD but should work OK...I think.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...arl+harbor+mod
Old 07-16-11, 02:13 PM   #7
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Thanks, I'll give it a try, hopefully no conflicts if so Ill just remoe it and play "for real" just figured itd be cool to see the battle go down.
Old 07-16-11, 05:46 PM   #8
WernherVonTrapp
Admiral

Downloads: 105

Hmm, I never checked myself and I'm in-game right now but, are there any single missions that might put you nearby or into the fray? Even if you travel at flank speed, it would take about 2 weeks to get from Hawaii to Singapore.
"What is truth?"
-Pontius Pilate
WernherVonTrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-11, 09:03 PM   #9
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernherVonTrapp View Post
Hmm, I never checked myself and I'm in-game right now but, are there any single missions that might put you nearby or into the fray? Even if you travel at flank speed, it would take about 2 weeks to get from Hawaii to Singapore.

No single missions. If you load the pre war start mod and depart from manila can make it on time at flank speed.I left on December 8th without mod and made it late evening December 10th.Battle occured 1100 hrs or so on 10 December 41.
Old 07-16-11, 10:41 PM   #10
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Quote:
No single missions. If you load the pre war start mod and depart from manila can make it on time at flank speed.I left on December 8th without mod and made it late evening December 10th.Battle occured 1100 hrs or so on 10 December 41.
Was it good?
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-11, 12:46 AM   #11
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Just watch the story of the battle on the history channel.."Battleships". Amazing they still went in without any air power.
Old 07-17-11, 02:22 PM   #12
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpX View Post
Was it good?

yea was pretty cool actually...

I found Force Z around 0830 on 10 December 41(used the pre pearl harbor start mod) and took up a screening position ahead of Prince of Wales.Around 1145 a huge wave of G4M's came in and in lieu of the big ships attacked me lol(suppose AI is programmed to go after player sub if its in sight so I dove to 100 feet then came back up.The G4m's ravaged the POW and Repulse.

Repulse took multiple torpedo and bomb hits, heavy listed and sank in about 30 minutes.POW took several torpedo and bomb hits.One to the hangar which blew the seaplane off its deck(as in the real attack), she ended up listing to port, dead in the water. Several IJN planes went down to AA fire.

Repulse gone and POW in trouble, I fired four torpedos to scuttle her, two prematured but two hit, she sank about 25 minutes later.
Old 07-17-11, 07:01 PM   #13
WernherVonTrapp
Admiral

Downloads: 105

SS?
"What is truth?"
-Pontius Pilate
WernherVonTrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-11, 08:01 AM   #14
Daniel Prates
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armistead View Post
Just watch the story of the battle on the history channel.."Battleships". Amazing they still went in without any air power.
They were though to be out of range, and also, I think they were sunk, like, in the first or second day of the war (against the japanese). WSC in his memoirs says that when they declared war against japan, there was a cabinet meeting, where they discussed the proper use of the pacific naval power - namely the prince of wales and the repulse. So that night churchill went to sleep, and in the early hours of the morning, someone called him and told him that they had been sunk. He narrates this as being the worst shock he ever got during the war.
Daniel Prates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-11, 11:36 AM   #15
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Prates View Post
They were though to be out of range, and also, I think they were sunk, like, in the first or second day of the war (against the japanese). WSC in his memoirs says that when they declared war against japan, there was a cabinet meeting, where they discussed the proper use of the pacific naval power - namely the prince of wales and the repulse. So that night churchill went to sleep, and in the early hours of the morning, someone called him and told him that they had been sunk. He narrates this as being the worst shock he ever got during the war.

Not sure how they could think planes were out of range when JP G3/4M bombers were already attacking Singapore before force Z went out. In fact, the force Z ships actually helped defend Singy when it came under plane attack. If anything, it should've told the Brits when the ships went out they would be even closer to air attack, but the fleet Admiral still thought they would be out of range, but common sense and simple math easily proved otherwise.

The Brit carrier Indomitable ran aground in the Caribbean Sea was supposed to be a part of force Z, but sent back to dry dock for repairs. Another carrier was to take it's place, but since it was slower the Admiral commanding opted to leave it behind. No way the early Brit planes could take on JP Zero's, but as far as I know the only JP air power was the bombers due to range, so they may have had some effect.

The problem was still the ego of those that believed in BB's. The POW's AA guns were also rather poor, not to mention it's air radar was broken during the attack. Obvious, they still didn't understand how well JP tornado planes could be.