SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-16-11, 05:44 PM   #1
clayp
The Old Man

Downloads: 340
Uploads: 0
Interception

What is the best way for an idiot to learn to intercept task forces and convoys...Also Iv never seen this asked before,is there a way to join an Allied convoy or task force.Now remember this has to be simple for a dummy!!......

clayp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-11, 07:17 PM   #2
magic452
Sea Lord

Downloads: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayp View Post
What is the best way for an idiot to learn to intercept task forces and convoys...Also Iv never seen this asked before,is there a way to join an Allied convoy or task force.Now remember this has to be simple for a dummy!!......
Yes you can sail with an American task force if you find one.
Kind of neat to see all those warships with 48 stars flying.

As for intercepting that depends on which game you're playing(1.4 or 1.5 and any mods like TMO or RSRD) and what part of the war, early or later when you have radar.
That's why I suggest late 43 or 44. Much easier with radar.
Also are you using auto targeting or manual?
And Map contacts on or off? I suggest have them on, almost imposable to learn anything with them off.

Task forces are hard to find but if you sail around the Luzon Strait you should find something to shoot at and maybe a convoy. If you do save the game and let us know what you have and we will see what we can do. Give us any details that you can such as what direction and how far away it is.
When you get a radar contact the RO will give you a bearing something like "radar contact 330 degrees long range." That's what we want.

The bearing to the target is what direction you must look to see the target. 0° is straight ahead, 90° is right, 180° is straight behind you and 270° is to your left. Think of it as a clock 0 or 360° is 12 o'clock, 90° is 3:00, 180° is 6:00 and 270° is 9:00
Be more than happy to help you out anytime.
I've got the time if you do my friend.

Magic

Reported lost 11 Feb. 1942
Signature by depthtok33l
magic452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-11, 09:54 PM   #3
clayp
The Old Man

Well bud I cheat a lot.. I'm playing in semi stock 1.4 with mods no major mods.I have a hopped up Gato out of Midway in Dec 1941..The boat is fast,2 5in guns,2 40mm flak guns and 38 torps..So tell me what exactly you want me to do and I will try to do it.I also have all the time in the world as I'm medicly retired....
I forgot to mention the boat is equipted with radar allthough I dont know how to use it...

Last edited by clayp; 06-16-11 at 10:05 PM.
Old 06-16-11, 11:13 PM   #4
magic452
Sea Lord

Downloads: 85

Ok clay looks like we can have some fun here.

Well before we start we need to set up the game so I know what you are playing. Lets start easy for now, so go to the options screen by clicking on the radio on the left side of the office and set the options for easy and un check everything we will add things later. When you start the career go to the nav. map and plot a course to the Luzon Strait Use the third button in to plot a course.

The first thing we need to do is find a target, any target, single ship or convoy does not matter for now so just patrol around the choke point till you get a contact and save the game at that time.

Magic

Reported lost 11 Feb. 1942
Signature by depthtok33l
magic452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-11, 11:33 PM   #5
clayp
The Old Man

Ok bud may be later tonight or in the morning.....

Old 06-16-11, 11:58 PM   #6
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813

If map contacts are on and you see a TF or convoy, use MOBO. It is in its own forum. There is a great tutorial, too. It is worth checking out because aaronblood is a genius and this mod is over the top, crazy good.
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-11, 12:22 AM   #7
clayp
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm goin' down View Post
If map contacts are on and you see a TF or convoy, use MOBO. It is in its own forum. There is a great tutorial, too. It is worth checking out because aaronblood is a genius and this mod is over the top, crazy good.

Thanks dude I will check it out...

Old 06-17-11, 06:39 AM   #8
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

To intercept you only need to use the tools on the map:

Old 06-17-11, 09:59 AM   #9
sharkbit
The Old Man

Downloads: 334

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces View Post
To intercept you only need to use the tools on the map:

Nice. That is one of the simplest ways I've seen that method explained. I use that method all the time.

One thing to add-if you need to, due to map scales, distances, etc., you can multiply both speeds by some factor. I use 2x, 5x, or 10x if necessary,but you can use whatever number you need. You need to multiply both your speed(#3) and the target speed(#2) by the same factor though and draw your circles accordingly.

The intercept angle(A') will be the same no matter what size speed circle you draw, as long as both speeds are multiplied by the same factor.

In the above example, if I used a 2x factor, the target speed circle would be 10 and the intercept speed would be 24. The intetrcept angle(A') would still be the same.

You would still set your speed at the intercept speed you selected (12 knots in Pisces' example) not the multiplied speed .-although I would love to have a sub that could make 24 knots-.

Hope that didn't muddy the waters too bad.

“Prejudice is blind. There will always be someone who says you aren’t welcome at the table. Stop apologizing for who you are and using all your energy trying to change their minds. Yes, you will lose friends, maybe even family. But you will gain your self-respect. You will know your worth. Once you have that, nothing can stop you.”
sharkbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-11, 10:13 AM   #10
clayp
The Old Man

I'm compleatly lost.Dont even know where to start.Havent the slightest how you get target speed etc.I dont know math....I need to just listen to one person, magic,but I dont think I will get it...

Old 06-17-11, 11:02 AM   #11
Dogfish40
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 827

Quote:
I'm compleatly lost.Dont even know where to start.Havent the slightest how you get target speed etc.I dont know math....I need to just listen to one person, magic,but I dont think I will get it...
Hey Clay
No problem, all these guys just want to help and when it gets too overwhelming, just digest what you can and keep plugging away. Half the fun is learning and you don't have to learn all this by next week. Take your time and have fun with it.
When I started playing this game I didn't know anything about WW2 Subs, I feel like I've learned so much over the past few months and then I feel like I still have a long way to go.
Just practice at your own pace and sink 'em all!
Good Hunting my friend!
D40
Old 06-17-11, 11:17 AM   #12
clayp
The Old Man

Thank you Dog...

Old 06-17-11, 12:03 PM   #13
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Quote:
Well, I took it for granted that you found a contact report on the map with it's general course and speed displayed, but it was too far out of visual/radar range (like 50 or more nautical mile away) and wanted to know how to get to it.You should get this information if you click on such a map contact icon. If you would draw these steps as soon as you found this contact on the map, then you would have met the contact at the earliest possible time. (assuming he isn't too fast for you)

Without knowing those values of the contact, the above method is useless. The idea is the game gives you this information as if it was transmitted by radio from HQ. But it just appears on the map from time to time without much warning.

If however some game-time has passed since it appeared, before you noticed it on the map. Then you would need to calculate how far it has moved since and draw the new (current) location and work from there. The information of the icon should also provide a time when it was valid.

The image isn't mine btw, I can't remember who made it. I just uploaded it to my homepage to keep it alive. I do not deserve the credit.

Last edited by Pisces; 06-17-11 at 12:16 PM.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-11, 12:30 PM   #14
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Default clayp--speed and course

I started knowing nothing. I still know nothing. However...

1. Leave map contacts enabled.
2. When a contact appears, zoom in on the target.
3, Open the stopwatch.
4. Use the map tools to mark the target with an "x." Start the stopwatch.
5. Pause the game after 3 minutes.
6. Mark the target with an "x."
7. Use the protractor tool and draw a circle with its center being the target and the circumference line intersecting the target in its position after 3 minutes. (Since the game is paused the target will not have moved.) The protractor tool will display the number of yards in the radius of the circle. That is the distance (number of yards) the target has traveled during the 3 minute period. That distance is the target's speed in knots. (i.e. 1200 yds. in 3 minutes = 12 knots.)
8. If you open the compass icon on the map screen and click on the ruler, you will open a compass tool. Create a long line running through the two target's positions you have plotted on the map and extend the line on the map. Read the degrees on back of the compass dial and you have the target's course.

There is a post somewhere that shows all of the above with drawings, screenshots, etc.
Old 06-17-11, 12:43 PM   #15
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Read the following thread. This is a great place to start.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...01&postcount=1

When you want to begin using manual targeting, read Hitman's tutorial on Manual Targeting at 100 Percent Realism. Also, go the Skipper's Bag of Tricks sticky thread in this forum to learn about O'Kane, Cromwell, etc.

And then, there is the Easy Aob mod, but that will take some explaining.

Do you have Skype?