SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-01-11, 05:27 PM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Closing security holes in outdated software - PSI

I found a very nice, free tool that helps you to identify security breaches hackers could abuse. It is Secunia'S PSI (Personal Software Inspector), and it is a quick and comfortable way to see which of your software is outdated and has newer versions available, for it scans all installed software and compares to the web's sources whether or not updates, patches or newer versions are available. From the results, you can easily trigger according update action.

This is especially helpful for software that is more or less hidden, has no icons, and that you have forgotten. For me it was an Excel viewer, and various versions of flash players. Also, lacking Windows security updates will trigger alarms.

I had to do several updates, and manually delete some things, to silence all alarms in repeated scans. Deal with all alrms one by opne, and after you are done, use PSI again to scan. Updates or deinstallatrions sometimes can cause subsequent security breaches. I thus had several runs before I got a 100% score.

Try it, it is very nice! But check the settings, and understand the options there. Especially if you run several partitions, you need to activated the others for scanning, too, because by default just c: is activated.

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal
Old 03-02-11, 04:44 AM   #2
Feuer Frei!
Navy Seal

Downloads: 141
Uploads: 17

Danke,
werde es ausprobieren

LINK TO MY SH 3 MODS
Feuer Frei! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-11, 04:53 AM   #3
Castout
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 6

Thank you it seems trustworthy I'll try it out!
Old 03-02-11, 05:26 AM   #4
Feuer Frei!
Navy Seal

Downloads: 141
Uploads: 17

Just tried it out, the only 'apparent' security issues were my Irfanview, which i have updated.
The util seems a little sluggish, and when attempting to update Irfanview via the util it couldn't d/l the update.
So i manually installed it via Irfan's website.

LINK TO MY SH 3 MODS
Feuer Frei! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-11, 07:31 AM   #5
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

I had several issues with two versions of Adobe Flash, and two versions of Excel viewers. If a program has reached the end of its lifespan, no updates will be found, obviously, and updates of software sometimes can raise the need to do subsequent updates of other components, especially Windows updates.

The one flashplayer was updated correctly, so was the one version of Excel viewer. The older flash and excel I had to manually delete. After that, several Windows updates for the new versions of flash and excel were needed.

The real value of the tool however lies in that it makes you aware and rings an alarm bell of outdated software versions of yours.