SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-31-09, 11:43 AM   #1
[RS]Wedge
Watch

Downloads: 32
Uploads: 0
Default GFO Mod and Snorkel use?

Hello,

I'm a current combat flight sim pilot who is new to sub simming and I got my feet wet with SH4 v1.5.

After looking around some I installed the Game Fixes Only mod. In this mod I noticed it installed snorkels for US subs. I thought the US subs didnt have snorkels until late in the war - late 1944 to early 1945?

Are the snorkels there on all subs and only work if it is the right year/model sub?

Any insight to this would be greatly appreciated.

~S~

[RS]Wedge
www.rogue-saints.com
[RS]Wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-09, 12:13 PM   #2
[RS]Wedge
Watch

Downloads: 32

I think I answered my own question:

In US subs what is included with the GFO mod is the SD RADAR Antenna.

In German subs it is the Snorkel?
[RS]Wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-09, 12:25 PM   #3
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

That mod adds the ability to raise the SD antenna on american subs.US Navy subs did not have snorkels until after WWII.There was never really the need for them as the Japanese never had good enough radar or ASW to make a snorkel a requirement. That came along with the GUPPY and Fleet Snorkel boats which where all Balao and Tench class subs left over from the war some of them where around in training roles into the 70s but they where the frontline for the late 40s and 50s.And you are right for a german sub the icon button(dont know I have TMO and there is tab and a button that does it) raises the snorkel in US subs it raises the SD.And that fact would cause someone wishing to mod in a GUPPY or Fleet Snorkel a problem as from what I understand the command will only allow the raising of one or the other it would require a "hard wire" change in SH4 to be able to have a GUPPY thta can both raise its SD and snorkel.Though it would be nie to have a GUPPY even if you could not fully use it.

Last edited by Stealhead; 05-31-09 at 02:25 PM.
Stealhead is offline   Reply With Quote