SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-09, 12:13 PM   #1
prowler3
XO

Downloads: 77
Uploads: 0
Default Starforce. mods and no-cd?

After checking my hidden devices, in hardware manager, I find that Starforce is installed. I bought and installed SH3 many moons ago, from an original UBI CD so I figured it was there.I ask this question here in the hope that my plan, below, will not affect my installation of GWX3 and other mods.

I have a "plan" but need a "sanity check" before I proceed with it. ***EDITED OUT BY MODERATOR, NO SUCH RUBBISH HERE, PLEASE, WE ARE A SERIOUS WEB***. I am already running 1.4b and GWX3.

What I'm contemplating is this:
1. Get back into base and save.
2. Copy the no-cd files (after backing up, of course!) to SH3 directory:
sh3.exe
MissionEngine.dll
SimData.dll
StateMachine.dll
Utils.dll
3. Delete Starforce using instructions at
http://www.glop.org/starforce/

I'm trying to do this in this manner in the hope that I can save my entire SH3, GWX3 and other mods current install...and maybe even my current campaign...yet get rid of the Starforce attrocity. My questions are:
Does GWX3, SH3 commander or any other mod write to the 5 files listed above? I doubt it as they are DLL's and EXE...but I'm no system whiz.

Do you think this can be accomplished, as I've outlined, or am I really missing the boat?

I am really trying to avoid starting all over again, if at all possible and I'm a bit reluctant (read that as pissed off) to spend another dime on SH3, again, just to get a version without Starforce. If it comes to that...so be it...I will. I am hoping to avoid that however.

What do you guys think...will this work?

Vic

Last edited by Hitman; 04-06-09 at 02:51 PM.
Old 04-06-09, 12:23 PM   #2
danlisa
Navy Seal

Downloads: 45
Uploads: 1

As you know discussion about using the NOCD is forbidden here on subsim but I will tell you that those files you list are untouched by any mods.

Your suggestion will work.
Old 04-06-09, 12:56 PM   #3
prowler3
XO

Downloads: 77
Uploads: 0

Sorry, Danlisa...I was not aware of this. I got all the information and links to downloads, etc. here, at the Radio Room .

I believe that we should honor any anti-piracy tools that a developer uses...I ALWAYS buy my software! BUT, in this case, when a developer uses a tool which is as secretive and destructive as Starforce, I believe we should be able to discuss ways to remove the offending tool and still use our legally purchased software. I see no reason that I should spend $10 US just to download a non-intrusive version of SH3 and re-install the entire thing again? Perhaps if UBI offered a free version with some other form of protection...for legal owners...but they do not.

I'm sure this Starforce discussion has happened before so...I will shut up now. I was never here...you never saw me...kapische?

Vic

Last edited by prowler3; 04-06-09 at 01:07 PM.
Old 04-06-09, 02:49 PM   #4
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Dargn, does someone actually read the rules?????

This is a heavy infraction here, I'm sorry but I must proceed to close the thread and issue a warning