SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-13-08, 11:58 AM   #1
snaphook
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Merchant ship types

Just curious about the different types of merchant ships, not so much for SH but in real life.

What is/was the difference between a split freighter, a composite freighter, a modern vs. European freighter, etc.?

In SH4 is there any bonus for sinking newer models vs. old ones, or is only the tonnage counted?
snaphook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-08, 12:08 PM   #2
LobsterBoy
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 44

I believe that in SH4 only the tonnage matters, though I wish that more renown was given for the sinking of tankers, as it turned out to be a major weakness for the Japanese.

I don't know much about the construction of merchant vessels, and don't pay to much attention to it either, but that doesn't mean I ignore the sacrifices made by merchant mariners during the world wars. I have no words to adequately show my gratitude towards them and other veterens.
LobsterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-08, 12:09 PM   #3
Task Force
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 85

1 Someone elso will have to help you on this one.

2 No all mechents are going to give you any bonus. All you get is extra tonnage. At least I think.

LobsterBoy beat me to it.
Old 09-13-08, 12:46 PM   #4
DeepIron
Sea Lord

Downloads: 0

1. Simply consult the in-game Ship identification book or the "Museum" in the pre-game screen... the differences are fairly obvious between the types.
2. Just tonnage.
RFB Loadout: RFB_V1.52_102408: RFB_V1.52_Patch_111608: RSRDC_RFBv15_V396
DeepIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-08, 02:10 PM   #5
Nisgeis
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77
Uploads: 11

I can't remember where I read this, I think it's in one of the submarine war patrol books I have, but a split freighter is one where the wheelhouse and funnel are seperate - e.g. split. A composite is one where the smoke stack is part of and sits on top of the structure that is also the wheelhouse.

It's one of the tricks of easily recognising ships. I used to stuggle with trying to look at one and then the pic in the recognition manual, but if you start doing it like it's a game of 'Guess Who?' (does he have spectacles, does he have blonde hair) then it's easier. Look at the shape of the bow - plumb, raked or curved, the shape of the stern, whether it's split or composite, does she have goalposts, etcetera and that will very quickly discount many potentials in the manual. Once you know what parts to look at, it becomes a lot easier and also easier to just look at a ship and see the key aspects and remember them, instead of having to remember the shape in your mind.

If I'm wrong about the split/composite meaning, someone will correct me.
Old 09-13-08, 02:16 PM   #6
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaphook
What is/was the difference between a split freighter, a composite freighter, a modern vs. European freighter, etc.?
Split/Composite refers to the superstructure - the 'buildings' on the deck. 'Split' means that the superstructure is in two pieces. This separation might be just a few feet, or it might be more dramatic with the bridge at the front and the funnel and after deckhouse clear at the rear, like a tanker or even more so a Great Lakes Freighter. 'Composite' simply means that there is only one superstructure, and the funnel rises out of it. it may be short, taking up a small part of a cargo ship, or it may cover almost the whole ship, as with a passenger liner.

'Modern' usually refers to a ship built during the 1930s or later, characterized by an 'Atlantic', or sloping, bow. 'Old' ships usually have a bow that comes straight up out of the water. There are other differences, but that is the most obvious one. 'European' refers to the fact that different areas have different design styles. Some Japanese ships look like nothing else afloat, and some others look more like they were built in Europe, hence the name.

Quote:
In SH4 is there any bonus for sinking newer models vs. old ones, or is only the tonnage counted?
No. In the game, as in real life, credit is based on the ship's Gross Registered Tonnage, which is the way the ship is 'registered' with the insurance company.
Old 09-13-08, 03:48 PM   #7
tater
Navy Seal

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 2

tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-08, 04:14 PM   #8
badaboom
Weps

Downloads: 46

Wow,Very nice Tater! Thank You
Old 09-13-08, 07:40 PM   #9
SteamWake
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 5

Cool stuff Tater.

Im gonna print those out.
SteamWake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-08, 12:26 AM   #10
peabody
Admiral

Downloads: 126
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisgeis
but if you start doing it like it's a game of 'Guess Who?' (does he have spectacles, does he have blonde hair) then it's easier.
You have a ship with blonde hair and spectacles? You are taking this modding a little bit too far.:rotfl:. I want to see it! Is it playable?

Thanks for the pictures Tater! I'm going to print them too.

Peabody

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-15, 09:14 PM   #11
Havan_IronOak
Navy Dude

Downloads: 233
Default Great post

As a landlubber before playing this I spent quite some time in the museum trying to figure out what was what. I couldn't see the difference. This thread cleared that up nicely. Thank you.
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
NVidia RTX2070 16 Gig
Havan_IronOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-15, 11:30 AM   #12
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Default Great post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havan_IronOak View Post
As a landlubber before playing this I spent quite some time in the museum trying to figure out what was what. I couldn't see the difference. This thread cleared that up nicely. Thank you.
Yes, this Topic is a keeper, I remember it cleared up any confusion I had back in 2008 when Nisgeis and Sailor Steve gave their eloquent & simple descriptions (sometimes I need 'simple' ... lol ). Tater's ONI 208-J was/is the icing on the cake.
aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-15, 07:17 PM   #13
Havan_IronOak
Navy Dude

Downloads: 233
Default Course this game warps your perceptions...

Lately I've found that everytime I'm watching old wartime naval footage, whether its Victory at Sea, Battlefield or even The Winds of War, I'm trying to identify the vessels.
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
NVidia RTX2070 16 Gig
Havan_IronOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-15, 08:36 PM   #14
Meridian
Frogman

Downloads: 625

When you start calling out the AoB and Bearing you can start to worry, otherwise you're fine.

AORUS Z390 Ultra, Intel Core i5 8600K, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4096mb, 64.0GB Dual-Channel DDR4, Soundblaster Z.
Meridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-15, 08:51 PM   #15
Crannogman
Watch Officer

Downloads: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havan_IronOak View Post
Lately I've found that everytime I'm watching old wartime naval footage, whether its Victory at Sea, Battlefield or even The Winds of War, I'm trying to identify the vessels.
It's good practice for when it really matters