SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-31-07, 04:14 PM   #1
Boats
Loader

Downloads: 74
Uploads: 0
Default OT-A former sailor's perspective...

just for the heck of it.

The New York is set to be launched soon. It is an assault ship of special construction, it's steel is steel that made up the Word Trade Towers girders. I'm a bit old now so this may sound antiquated, but you wouldn't catch me even tourring the ship for a looksee.

Once upon a time a ship that killed someone going down the ways was said to be cursed. This ship is built with metal already stained with blood before she's even been christened. IMHO that steel would've been better used to build a memorial.
Boats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-08, 09:29 PM   #2
Indianer
Nub

Downloads: 0

I don't know. I just wiki-ed her. The USS New York is being build in New Orleans - and was present during Katrina. And is still ready for commissioning.
Sounds like a tough old bird to me!
Indianer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-08, 09:08 AM   #3
pythos
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 46

If this is true then the people of the United States have once again been lied to. We were told the debris of the tower were to be burried, following investigations. Not recycled, seeing as most victims of that debacle were shredded and became one with the debris.

If the metal from WTC was used to make a new ship, that is tantamont to using the shuttle Columbia, Challenger, and Apollo 1, metal to make the newest heavy bomber.

Pretty damned disgusting, let alone the supersticious part.

I also wouldn't set foot on this new ship. She should not be commisioned, sent out to sea, and sunk, so the souls of those lost in WTC may rest.
pythos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-08, 09:29 AM   #4
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

If I'm not mistaken the metal was used to build the ship in the Norfolk Naval Yards. I watched a Discovery Channel program on it.
Old 01-02-08, 11:55 AM   #5
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythos
If this is true then the people of the United States have once again been lied to. We were told the debris of the tower were to be burried, following investigations. Not recycled, seeing as most victims of that debacle were shredded and became one with the debris.
I don't recall any such promise, but they did just use a token amount of steel anyways, part of the bow iirc.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-08, 12:50 PM   #6
geetrue
Cold War Boomer

Downloads: 5

We sailors have always been a little superstitious about ships. Usually the name, but it could be anything from the day of departure to the day of arrival, the captains previous experience to the ships mascot.

I just want to know one thing: "Why do they always serve SOS, **** on a shingle, the first day out"?
Old 01-02-08, 02:17 PM   #7
AntEater
Grey Wolf

What do you expect from a Navy that scuttles USS America
:rotfl:
Old 01-02-08, 02:58 PM   #8
seafarer
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythos

If the metal from WTC was used to make a new ship, that is tantamont to using the shuttle Columbia, Challenger, and Apollo 1, metal to make the newest heavy bomber.

Pretty damned disgusting, let alone the supersticious part.

I also wouldn't set foot on this new ship. She should not be commisioned, sent out to sea, and sunk, so the souls of those lost in WTC may rest.
I do not remember any official making such a promise. It was my understanding all along that most of the recovered structural steel was to be recycled. Most was removed by barge to New Jersey and subsequently sold to recyclers, mostly in S. Korea and China. Some was sold to a foundry in Georgia to make commemorative medallions. I seem to recall the New York City officials stating (on CNN and CSPAN) very early in the cleanup that this was the intention all along, made very soon after the attacks. The steel was taken to NJ for inspection by investigators, then parceled out for scrap bidding.

running SHIII-1.4 with GWX2.1 and SHIV-1.5 with TMO/RSRDC/PE3.3 under MS Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP1
ACER AMD Athlon 64x2 4800+, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 400GB SATA HD
Antec TruePower Trio 650watt PSU
BFG GeForce 8800GT/OC 512MB VRAM, Samsung 216BW widescreen (1680x1050) LCD
seafarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-08, 07:25 PM   #9
Stealth Hunter
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats
IMHO that steel would've been better used to build a memorial.
If the steel can be used for something useful, then put it to use (heh).

I'd make a bronze WTC memorial, something that would last just about forever, unlike steel...
Stealth Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote