SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-25-07, 11:12 AM   #1
brandtryan
Engineer

Downloads: 122
Uploads: 0
Help me with tactical ranges!

Does anyone have any specific numbers for how far away I have to be so that a destroyer can't discover me? In the daytime? In the nighttime?

I've developed a general course for the convoy--but everytime I get a little closer to freshen up my numbers, the destroyer sees me, and I have to dive. I stay under until dark--but don't know how close I can get without being discovered. I want to do an "end around" to get in front of them--but don't know the range I need to stand off at. They're moving pretty fast--at least 12 knots.

Also--has it been confirmed that the destroyer will come after you if you ping for range? Event at 15 miles?

Thanks for any replies. I'm having a blast with this sim, along with reading books about the Silent Service.
brandtryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-07, 01:29 PM   #2
Drnaline
Swabbie

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandtryan
Does anyone have any specific numbers for how far away I have to be so that a destroyer can't discover me? In the daytime? In the nighttime?

I've developed a general course for the convoy--but everytime I get a little closer to freshen up my numbers, the destroyer sees me, and I have to dive. I stay under until dark--but don't know how close I can get without being discovered. I want to do an "end around" to get in front of them--but don't know the range I need to stand off at. They're moving pretty fast--at least 12 knots.

Also--has it been confirmed that the destroyer will come after you if you ping for range? Event at 15 miles?

Thanks for any replies. I'm having a blast with this sim, along with reading books about the Silent Service.
I'd bet he hears you more then see's you.
Drnaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-07, 05:29 PM   #3
Slang
Mate

Downloads: 12

Might I suggest you do the end around out of all visual range? You should be able to get a rough idea of true course and speed from a far way out. Then just run up at flank speed out visual range and get into a good ambush position. Go to peri depth, and silent running and wait for them to come to you.
Slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-07, 03:51 PM   #4
brandtryan
Engineer

Downloads: 122

Thanks for the tips. I found somewhere, that someone did some tests--it seem 7000 yards in daytime, and roughly half that for nighttime.
brandtryan is offline   Reply With Quote