SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-27-07, 10:04 PM   #1
clayp
The Old Man

Downloads: 340
Uploads: 0
Graphics glitch

Core 2 Duo X6800 @3.24
Asus Motherboard P5BDELUXEWIFI
OCZ 2Gig 15-5-5-5 memory kit DDR2 OCZ2N1066SR2GK 2 x 2 gig kits
(4 gigs total)
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 Ultra BFGE88768UE
Western Digital 160gig sata II 16mb
Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer SB0730VP
Cooler master CM Stacker 830 Silver
OCZ Gamer extreme PS 1010wat OCZ1010GXSSLI
Samsung Optical (DVD/CDRW)
Windows XP Pro 32bit SP2

Anyone have any ideas what is making the flames look like this?

Last edited by clayp; 10-27-07 at 10:14 PM.
clayp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-07, 05:45 AM   #2
Von Tonner
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 44

Hi Clayp, go to below thread and you will see how to get rid of it. For me, I just did a complete reinstall of everything and it went away. It is a file conflict.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...ire#post663113
Von Tonner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-07, 11:21 AM   #3
clayp
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Tonner
Hi Clayp, go to below thread and you will see how to get rid of it. For me, I just did a complete reinstall of everything and it went away. It is a file conflict.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...ire#post663113
From what I can understand he replaced this file "newfire_add.dds file,"...Where do I get a new one?

Old 10-29-07, 10:21 AM   #4
clayp
The Old Man

Well I have tried all of the suggestions put forth and I still have the flame problem...

Old 10-29-07, 10:32 AM   #5
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Did you inquire with Leovampire? Maybe a PM to him for the answer. There is a fix.
Old 10-29-07, 10:45 AM   #6
Torps
Captain

Downloads: 148
Default Very Familiar

I had this similar problem before, I tried replacing the fire_add file however there must of been something more then that, because that did not fix the problem atleast for me. What I ended up doing was deleting all my previous ROW files and downloading the latest, and by doing that I was able to resolve my issue. And I also had better graphics I guess my ROW files were old.

Alot depends on if you are running any other mod, you have to install them in a specific order. Another thing you can do is disable all the mods and enable them one by one until you get problem again and then rename the problem file, fire_add, particles, w/e.

Worst case scenario someone on here mentioned they completely removed SH4 and did a complete reinstall, and that fixed the problem.

Contributor
PE for ROW
Reflections on Water
ROW Sound Effects

R.I.P Dave Bunnel aka LeoVampire

Last edited by Torps; 10-29-07 at 10:57 AM.
Torps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-07, 03:33 PM   #7
clayp
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk
Did you inquire with Leovampire? Maybe a PM to him for the answer. There is a fix.

Yes I did Hawk and I think he tried to tell me how to fix it but I'm too dumb to understand......

Torps,I think I will just try taking the ROW files out..I dont know how to install them the order or what are the latest one.....

Old 10-29-07, 04:53 PM   #8
R3D
Gunner

Downloads: 88

this happened to me when using trigger maru 1.64, it was missing some fire effect file, installing ROW after TM fixes all that if you like using those mods..
R3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-07, 05:15 PM   #9
leovampire
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 0
Default the problem is if a mod you install replaces the fire textures

Then you end up with the problem. OR if you install and older Particles and materials file that dosn't suport the new textures that ROW present's for effect's.

We wanted to get away from the old fire effect's for the game to something more realistic looking and acting.

But it create's a new problem the fire textures and the file's that run them are inter dependent now.

http://files.filefront.com/People+wi.../fileinfo.html

This link is a download that has the Particles / materials / and fire texture's and oil slik texture to solve your problem if this is your problem with missing or mismatched file's.

Let JSGME install it over what ever it warn's you about and your problems should go away as long as you do not have a hard wear problem on your end.
leovampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-07, 05:57 PM   #10
clayp
The Old Man

Leo I put the file from your last post in and now the game wont start,error message says "a component MOVIETEX.ACT" cant be found"..I guess I will re-load the game later on....

Old 10-29-07, 06:03 PM   #11
leovampire
Eternal Patrol

Default those file's do not go near anything like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayp
Leo I put the file from your last post in and now the game wont start,error message says "a component MOVIETEX.ACT" cant be found"..I guess I will re-load the game later on....
And before I gave them to you I used JSGME to install them in my game first and then ran the game and no problems.

Are you useing JSGME or putting them in your game manualy?

Movietex act is in the main root directory of your game before you even go into the data file I just looked in my game.
Old 10-29-07, 09:33 PM   #12
clayp
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by leovampire
Quote:
And before I gave them to you I used JSGME to install them in my game first and then ran the game and no problems.

Movietex act is in the main root directory of your game before you even go into the data file I just looked in my game.
Leo I'm useing the mod installer...I'm not feeling very well tonight so I will re-install the game tomorrow morning....

Old 10-29-07, 09:47 PM   #13
leovampire
Eternal Patrol

Default is that the only error that comes up for you?

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Leo I'm useing the mod installer...I'm not feeling very well tonight so I will re-install the game tomorrow morning....
I can send you my Movietex.act file from my game you have to install it manualy because it goes right inside of the SHIV folder where you see the Data and Mod's folder.
Old 10-29-07, 09:52 PM   #14
clayp
The Old Man

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I can send you my Movietex.act file from my game you have to install it manualy because it goes right inside of the SHIV folder where you see the Data and Mod's folder.
Thats fine if you would like to....skalb@socal.rr.com....I'm sorry to put you to all of this trouble.....

Old 10-29-07, 10:06 PM   #15
leovampire
Eternal Patrol

Default I sent it to you in the e-mail

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thats fine if you would like to....skalb@socal.rr.com....I'm sorry to put you to all of this trouble.....
No worries and I explained in the e-mail about unziping the file on you desk top then click on the folder and then right click the movie file and copy then find your game directory where you can see the DATA and MOD folder together. Right click in an empty spot and paste the new Movietex.act file. You should be all set.