SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-19-07, 02:48 PM   #1
Dimitrius07
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
That it! I hade it

I bout the game and i start to understand that it not worth the money i payed for it. You ask why? Here is the answer.
1. Cannot understand the crew managment - maybe i`am just to stupid but in sh3 it was much easyer to understand
2. Torpido does not fire for time to time for some reason
3. The crewmates look like they smoking weed non stop - something like that
4. Very anoying manual targeting system
5. Radar - how the hell i can turn the damn thing on.

My final opinion - wait for a proper patch or for a good modders or throw the damn disck into the toilet were it belongs.
Old 04-19-07, 02:50 PM   #2
John Channing
Sea Lord

Downloads: 156
Uploads: 5

Or you could politely ask for help because everything you listed is either something you don't understand or are doing incorrectly.

Nothing you mentioned is a problem with the game.

JCC
John Channing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-07, 02:54 PM   #3
The General
The Old Man

Downloads: 179
Uploads: 3
Default Radar problem

Hold the phone there John. I can sympathize with our friend here. Up until Patch 1.2, Sh4 was a total let down. Granted, the last patch really made it what it should've been in the first place, but there are still one or two problems. On my radar screen I've got nothin' too. Just a blank screen. No range-markings and no planes or ships. Hell, I can't even get The Late Show!
Old 04-19-07, 02:55 PM   #4
Snuffy
XO

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Actually with some of the flaws I've heard mentioned, (not necessarily in this thread), I find the sim more enjoyable doing the TDC on full manual.

None of this point and shoot shiite for me.

I don't pay any attention to the crew, I'm too damned busy manning my boat.

And rumor has it that if you've got a boat equipped with the radar and sonar ... it actually works.
Old 04-19-07, 02:59 PM   #5
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffy
Actually with some of the flaws I've heard mentioned, (not necessarily in this thread), I find the sim more enjoyable doing the TDC on full manual.

None of this point and shoot shiite for me.

I don't pay any attention to the crew, I'm too damned busy manning my boat.

And rumor has it that if you've got a boat equipped with the radar and sonar ... it actually works.
Yeah, crew...do what you want.... just blow the whistle when you change the watch so I know someone different will be standing next to me...other than that...don't bother me.

Radar, seems ok to me.

TDC, works good for me....lots of practice and it sounds like this might be the case here to handle the ills with it.

Take two six packs, get some rest and try again in the morning
Old 04-19-07, 03:06 PM   #6
Grunt
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I remember I saw a funny comic on Penny Arcade. Gabe paid for a game, and Tycho walks in and asks him hows it going with the new game he had waited so long for.

Gabe says something like "Yeah I installed the game". Tycho then asks "Ok, so why are you starting at a blank screen?" Gabe says "Game cant be started till the first patch is released."

I can only imagine how many people are out there, wanting to play SH4, but quietly waiting till the game gets patched into playability.

Not a good business model, so lets hope ubi learns it lesson from all this.
Old 04-19-07, 03:10 PM   #7
bunkerratt
Chief

Downloads: 13

The crewmates look like they smoking weed non stop - something like that.......

always with the negative waves man...
Old 04-19-07, 03:15 PM   #8
John Channing
Sea Lord

Downloads: 156
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by The General
Hold the phone there John. I can sympathize with our friend here. Up until Patch 1.2, Sh4 was a total let down. Granted, the last patch really made it what it should've been in the first place, but there are still one or two problems. On my radar screen I've got nothin' too. Just a blank screen. No range-markings and no planes or ships. Hell, I can't even get The Late Show!
I guess I was taking his last statement in the context of the rest of the "flaws" he found in the game. To wit...

- If you think that the fact you can't understand how the crew management system works is a flaw in the game

- If you can't get torpedos to fire when there has been absolutely no reports of this from day one

- If you think the way the crew looks is a game flaw

- If you think the most accurate representation of an American TDC ever in a simulation is a game flaw because you find it annoying

Then I am going to have to think that your radar problem might just be something else.

But at least we have another thread for people to jump in and air their grievances, real or imagined. And you just can't have enough of those!

JCC
John Channing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-07, 03:19 PM   #9
joea
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 25

I think he might have meant torpedoes don't explode, well maybe they were dud torpedoes?

I hope the OP answers and clarifies a bit.
joea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-07, 03:28 PM   #10
SteamWake
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 5

As was pointed out all issues stated are lack of understanding not game issues.

Its like as if I said "I hate my toilet because it wont flush twice in a row". Oh I have to wait for the tank to fill again :hmm:
SteamWake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-07, 03:58 PM   #11
Igloodude
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 0

For every end, there's a beginning - so, I'll take his place on the conning tower.

Just got the game a week ago, then fixed/upgraded my PC (heating problem thwacked it), and applied 1.2 and I've gone through the first and second training missions.
Igloodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-07, 03:58 PM   #12
Dimitrius07
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Sorry about the toilet thing (i sad that cause a ave been agry) but realy the game have a nice ligtings effects and grafics, but thise bugs, damn!!! I mean i realy don`t understand why when i hit the crash drive button my boat don`t even move - so all i can do is quckly set speed to flank and hit the d button (i`am not a complite noob affter all).
Old 04-19-07, 04:06 PM   #13
Egan
Admiral

Downloads: 15

Maybe there should be a sticky about the Radar stations not being functional on boats that have not yet had the SJ system fitted? I've seen about twenty references to this being a bug in the last two days alone when it is not.
Egan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-07, 04:09 PM   #14
Drokkon
Loader

Downloads: 0

SH1 TDC was more acurate since it actually worked. I find the radar very annoying also. Is the radar contact closing or is it just passing by out of range? How come every plane spots me and drops her bombs on me? Not sure what his problems with the crew is, maybe it's the way the deck crew keep getting hurt at their station under water.

I'm waiting on the next patch. I'm not sure how many remember but SH1 simulated a round world great. The first thing you saw of a enemy ship was her mast. You could identify a yamato or kongo class bb before they fully rose up on the horizen.
Old 04-19-07, 04:20 PM   #15
JSF
Engineer

Downloads: 3

I feel this guy's pain.....This is the hardest game I play and have probably played. Besides having a steep learning curve....let's face it...the game is buggy. And, there's no denying that.

Think about real life when torpedos went-off almost in your hands.....solution=deactivate manetic influence device...Did it work...Not quite.....Torpedos still buggy.....hmmm....kinda like....:hmm: ...let me think.....OH yeah....THIS GAME!!!...

Dimitrius07...Digesting the information needed to play this game is like drinking from a fire hose.....

Who knows...maybe the ghosts of Bureau Ordnance resides in some dev team members...... :P
JSF is offline   Reply With Quote