SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-11-07, 07:52 AM   #1
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90
Uploads: 0

Default Easy, Normal, Hard, Very Hard Setting

Looks to me that on top of the usual boxes we can check, unlimited fuel, outside views etc., the drop down list of easy, normal, hard, very hard affects the amount of contacts and the aggressiveness of AI. I played very hard and contacts were very few. I went for days without radioed in convoys or seeing single merchants. I tried on the hard setting, I got some more contacts and mostly Allied vessels. After 5 days I got a radioed message on a task force. I set up my ambush. Sunk a destroyer and a carrier. Two DD found me in short order and sunk me. Not quite the same DD I had in easy mode.

Switch your game play to hard or very hard. I'm interested in finding out if you are seeing what I'm seeing. It looks to me like the developers worked on AI and contact via the selection of easy, normal, hard and very hard. Check it out and tell me what you see.
Old 04-11-07, 08:03 AM   #2
BlackSpot
Lieutenant

Downloads: 21

I think we agree on this one Hawk. I'm playing on "hard" settings. Last night I was sent to the coast of Japan. Very few contact reports. One TF and one convoy. I did however bump into 2 passenger liners, one old and one new, sailing together. I picked them up on the sonar whilst travelling submerged in daylight. These contacts did not appear on the map.:p

edit. I forgot, I did come across a coastal merchant in the same area a few hours later. Again picked up on sonar, not from the map contacts.

Do nothing which is of no use.
BlackSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-07, 08:19 AM   #3
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Exactly. Now I suspect the lesser radioed contacts the less the clipboard will fill up.
Old 04-11-07, 08:21 AM   #4
BlackSpot
Lieutenant

Downloads: 21

Ahhh...not tried that, i'm using the clipboard MOD. I'll turn it off and see what happens tonight

Do nothing which is of no use.
BlackSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-07, 08:25 AM   #5
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSpot
Ahhh...not tried that, i'm using the clipboard MOD. I'll turn it off and see what happens tonight
Yeah, I got the clipboard mod also. I give that go as well. I seem to be finding more depth to the game than SH3 in respect to game play and how we can set it up to our liking
Old 04-11-07, 08:36 AM   #6
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344

I am playing very hard, 100% realism and Dize's campaign mod which reduces traffic.

I'm on the 20th day of my 1st patrol, april 1943 near Truk. I am getting about 3-5 enemy contact reports per day, single ships, TFs, convoys, scattered throughout the Pacific.

I just ran into my 1st ship, Junk, 2 tons, which my crew dispatched with the deck gun.

How does this stack up with what other people are experiencing?
Bilge_Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-07, 08:39 AM   #7
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilge_Rat
I am playing very hard, 100% realism and Dize's campaign mod which reduces traffic.

I'm on the 20th day of my 1st patrol, april 1943 near Truk. I am getting about 3-5 enemy contact reports per day, single ships, TFs, convoys, scattered throughout the Pacific.

I just ran into my 1st ship, Junk, 2 tons, which my crew dispatched with the deck gun.

How does this stack up with what other people are experiencing?
You have a few more contacts then me but I guess it depends where you are. Your patrol sounds about right, like I'm experiencing. I think very hard gives fewer contacts and perhaps this mod for reduced radio traffic may not be needed.
Old 04-11-07, 09:18 AM   #8
tater
Navy Seal

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 2

Do you think the base diff level is a modifier on the % chance of the random spawns in the campaign layers, kinda like the quality of an airbase modifies its chances of sending planes your way?
tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-07, 09:31 AM   #9
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by tater
Do you think the base diff level is a modifier on the % chance of the random spawns in the campaign layers, kinda like the quality of an airbase modifies its chances of sending planes your way?
Good question, one I think the devs can help us on. I'll ask for some info on this, no reason we should have to guess.

good hunting!
Neal
Old 04-11-07, 09:37 AM   #10
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by tater
I'm saying yes. I'm finding more depth in the thinking behind the easy, normal, hard, very hard. I'm also thinking AI is randomly smart or very dump. So far with hard selected, the AI are very tough and somewhat realistic. In easy mode they run away. There is definitly some thought behind the AI...we just are finding out at this point.

Thanks developers at UBI!!!!! I'm finding more good things everyday!!!!!!!
Old 04-11-07, 09:47 AM   #11
OddjobXL
Torpedoman

Downloads: 0

The more I read about these things people are finding that didn't make it into the manual the more I think SH4 needs a huge FAQ or supplementary manual.
OddjobXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-07, 10:16 AM   #12
ParaB
Chief

Downloads: 16

I'm playing on very hard and I still get a lot of radio reports and the japanese DDs are deaf and blind pacifists.

IMO the different difficulty settings only govern which options are ticked from the start. I haven't noticed any real difference between "easy" and "very hard", as far as the enemy Ai is concerned.
ParaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-07, 10:22 AM   #13
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaB
I'm playing on very hard and I still get a lot of radio reports and the japanese DDs are deaf and blind pacifists.

IMO the different difficulty settings only govern which options are ticked from the start. I haven't noticed any real difference between "easy" and "very hard", as far as the enemy Ai is concerned.
Yes, might be. This is what we are trying to find out. Definitly something going on with these settings. I switched to very hard and all of a sudden the sea is dead with few contacts. Were are you patrolling? I in Celebes Sea and really have to hunt them down.

One other thing. In the options page if you change your settings before starting the game I believe it reverts back to your original settings on you last save. When in your office before mission, change the options there and they will not change from loading to loading. So I'm wondering if you changed will in game and perhaps the change to very hard did not take.

I will be testing some more today
Old 04-11-07, 10:25 AM   #14
Snuffy
XO

Downloads: 5

I've played on hard from day one ... it's been a challenge, but I'm getting better at it.
Old 04-11-07, 10:27 AM   #15
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffy
I've played on hard from day one ... it's been a challenge, but I'm getting better at it.
Another one experiencing what I'm seeing

Do you experience fewer contacts and DD that are aggressive?