SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-10-07, 07:33 AM   #1
TDK1044
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 25
Uploads: 0
Default The Casual Gamer

A neighbor of mine purchased silent Hunter 4 last Saturday. He was eagerly telling me all about it not realizing that I was a big subsim fan. He said that he and his son (aged 11) were really enjoying playing it.

As the discussion went on, it became obvious that he was playing the game at the default Graphical settings (Medium) because he didn't know you could change the graphical settings, and his realism was set at about 25 he thought.

I started to tell him about mods and patches and he looked at me like I was crazy. He even said to me "Yours might need that. Mine's fine."

This guy is Ubisoft's definitive 'casual gamer', Guys. He represents the 97 percent of people who will buy and play this game without any concept of mods, patches or bugs. He's not a stupid person....he earns more than I do, but it's all a question of perspective.

If you were to show him a list of bugs that need fixing with this game, he'd say "mine's fine" and carry on playing.

We here represent an important element for any Dev team, because we will always be a thorn in their side by demanding high standards for these games and pointing out the flaws. But let's not fool ourselves, as a market percentage we are almost insignificant, and Ubisoft makes games for people like my neighbor and not for us.

So let's hope for additional patches and continued excellent mods so that we can truly enjoy this game, and let's not worry about corporate policy that we can't fix and which isn't going to change any time soon.
TDK1044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-07, 07:55 AM   #2
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

Is your neighbour enjoying playing the video game?

If so, then it really is not important what graphics settings or difficulty level he chooses to play with.

Not everyone buys a game for the indepth simulation capability. Some just want to peek through a scope and sink ships.

We should continue to calmly and logically compile lists of bugs for the developers for consideration. The endless whining is getting real old real fast

But you are quite correct. We can't change the corporate policy. Any changes to the software needs to be justified against the cost.

To us, simulation accuracy is sacred, but to Ubi, it is a business decision.

It is wise to recognise that simulation fanatics like us represent a pretty small, but rabid, community. And to use your numbers (which I feel are inaccurate), it is unrealistic to expect Ubi to make significant changes in their business case for 3% of the customer population.

Twas ever thus
Platapus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-07, 07:56 AM   #3
Charos
Helmsman

Downloads: 31

Simmer: Take the blue pill, the story ends. You wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.... Remember, all I'm offering is the truth, nothing more....

Casual Gamer: You know, I know this steak doesn't exist. I know that when I put it in my mouth, the Matrix is telling my brain that it is juicy and delicious. After nine years, you know what I realize? Ignorance is bliss.

Ubisoft: It seems that you've been living two lives. One life, you're Thomas A. Anderson, a casual gamer.You have a social security number, pay your taxes, and you... help your landlady carry out her garbage. The other life is lived in computers, where you go by the simmer alias "Neo" and are guilty of virtually every computer crime we have a law for. One of these lives has a future, and one of them does not.
Charos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-07, 08:00 AM   #4
flyingdane
Weps

Downloads: 33

Sounds Like a stereotypical gamer that likes what he has, Obviously he doesn't care if it gets patched or not. We the minority how ever do want patches because we take our gameing more serious than most, glad hes happy with it as is. :hmm:
It denos't mtater waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, it's olny iprmoatnt taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae.The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelms.Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
flyingdane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-07, 08:01 AM   #5
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDK1044
A neighbor of mine purchased silent Hunter 4 last Saturday. He was eagerly telling me all about it not realizing that I was a big subsim fan. He said that he and his son (aged 11) were really enjoying playing it.

As the discussion went on, it became obvious that he was playing the game at the default Graphical settings (Medium) because he didn't know you could change the graphical settings, and his realism was set at about 25 he thought.

I started to tell him about mods and patches and he looked at me like I was crazy. He even said to me "Yours might need that. Mine's fine."

This guy is Ubisoft's definitive 'casual gamer', Guys. He represents the 97 percent of people who will buy and play this game without any concept of mods, patches or bugs. He's not a stupid person....he earns more than I do, but it's all a question of perspective.

If you were to show him a list of bugs that need fixing with this game, he'd say "mine's fine" and carry on playing.

We here represent an important element for any Dev team, because we will always be a thorn in their side by demanding high standards for these games and pointing out the flaws. But let's not fool ourselves, as a market percentage we are almost insignificant, and Ubisoft makes games for people like my neighbor and not for us.

So let's hope for additional patches and continued excellent mods so that we can truly enjoy this game, and let's not worry about corporate policy that we can't fix and which isn't going to change any time soon.
Very well-said, I like how subsim put in place threads about bugs and the like, very well organized and thought out

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-07, 08:07 AM   #6
ParaB
Chief

Downloads: 16

Reminds me of the friend of mine who had Falcon 4.0 on his system for years, never having played anything except the instant dogfights with realism options set to zero. With the cursor keys.

To each his own.
ParaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-07, 08:13 AM   #7
TDK1044
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaB
Reminds me of the friend of mine who had Falcon 4.0 on his system for years, never having played anything except the instant dogfights with realism options set to zero. With the cursor keys.

To each his own.
That says it all!

:rotfl:
TDK1044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-07, 08:31 AM   #8
Charos
Helmsman

Downloads: 31

Quote:

To each his own.
For some reason I find that highly disturbing.
Charos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-07, 08:36 AM   #9
Jensen
Swabbie

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charos
Quote:

To each his own.

Can Falcon 4.0 be played in other modes?
Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-07, 09:04 AM   #10
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Well, we have to look at this way, modding/graphics/realism has become should we say a 'hobby' and a interest in simulations. Casual gamers are just that, casual...can take it or leave it as is. Then there is us...lunatics at best when it comes to the simulation, whether on land, sea or air. We possess a drive to have accuracy and good gaming experience. Nothing wrong with obtaining perfection. Maybe a little disturbing to some but this breed finds it quite normal. So, this hobby of mine and yours keeps you off the streets and out of trouble. Nothing wrong there. You do, however, find yourself at the computer store attempting to score the best videocard you can get your hands on and you are on a first name basis with the sales people
Old 04-10-07, 09:08 AM   #11
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

Quote:
Quote:

To each his own.
Just out of curiosity, why is that especially disturbing? People play video games for enjoyment. What is disturbing about that?

Not everyone plays video games for the challenge. Many people have enough challenges in Real Life. Some people play video games to escape reality and challenge. And that's OK
Platapus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-07, 09:13 AM   #12
BlackSpot
Lieutenant

Downloads: 21

I have a mobile phone. I takes pictures, it records movies, you can send emails, you can access the Net. I does all these things and more. I use only it to make and answer calls. Does this make me a casual phone user?

Do nothing which is of no use.
BlackSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-07, 09:57 AM   #13
Kapitan_Phillips
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 203

Quote:

To each his own.

I tried that once. Playing with the cursor keys. About as enjoyable as a hernia :rotfl:
Old 04-10-07, 10:24 AM   #14
wolfast
Watch

Downloads: 24

Quote:
Simmer: Take the blue pill, the story ends. You wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.... Remember, all I'm offering is the truth, nothing more....

Casual Gamer: You know, I know this steak doesn't exist. I know that when I put it in my mouth, the Matrix is telling my brain that it is juicy and delicious. After nine years, you know what I realize? Ignorance is bliss.

Ubisoft: It seems that you've been living two lives. One life, you're Thomas A. Anderson, a casual gamer.You have a social security number, pay your taxes, and you... help your landlady carry out her garbage. The other life is lived in computers, where you go by the simmer alias "Neo" and are guilty of virtually every computer crime we have a law for. One of these lives has a future, and one of them does not.
HAHAHAHAHAHAH:rotfl:
I love the matrix
Old 04-10-07, 11:52 AM   #15
John Channing
Sea Lord

Downloads: 156
Uploads: 5

Quote:

To each his own.
I remember a few days after Falcon 4.0 was released being in an EB and the clerk there was taking to a customer who was condidering buying it. The clerk asked him if he was into high fidelity flight simulations and the guy responded "Nah... I just want to fly around and blow s*** up!".

Regardless of your intent, if it's fun, it is a good purchase.

JCC
John Channing is offline   Reply With Quote