SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-09-07, 07:42 PM   #1
gutted
The Old Man

Downloads: 470
Uploads: 10
Default i really hate the Manual TDC in Sh4

too wonky if you ask me, even without the bugs with the position keeper.

for instance.. why can't i manually enter ranges past 1150yds on the dial?

nooooo.. i have to look at a ship and pull out the stadimeter to manually set a certain range. booo!

sure.. i can hit my targets in SH4, but i prefer the TDC of SH3, where the gyro and AOB is updated with the scope. much more efficient when attacking convoys.

.ie
calculate the AOB at 0 degrees using the map tools. set scope to 0 degrees and enter the AOB. manually enter the convoys speed.. then point at a target.. range it and fire. point at another target.. range it and fire. or just simply swivel the scope to get a 0 gyro and fire as each ship passes the scope (range doesn't matter with a 0 gyro).
gutted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-07, 07:47 PM   #2
clayton
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 179
Uploads: 0

Glad things are working out for you in SH3. I'm also glad you pointed out the problems with SH4's TDC. I had no idea just how bad it really was... (Big thumbs up for you)

*EDIT*
Your not a SH3 fanboy are you?
Old 04-09-07, 07:52 PM   #3
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Well, you can adjust ranges manually once you've entered it with the stadimeter.

Otherwise, I don't see why the complaint - how do you get the range anyway, without a stadimeter? (besides a sonar fix, but you can send that one to the TDC directly from there).

Personally, I don't see a 'problem'. I prefer SHIV's TDC to SHIII's any day of the week!

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-07, 07:53 PM   #4
flyingdane
Weps

Downloads: 33

What are you guys crying for?..I use auto tdc and can't hit jack shi-.
It denos't mtater waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, it's olny iprmoatnt taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae.The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelms.Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
flyingdane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-07, 07:54 PM   #5
GreyOctober
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 30

YASH4IBT! YAY! I thought this forum has been patched already! Requesting a new one STAT!

YASH4IBT=Yet Another SH4 Is Bugged Thread
Old 04-09-07, 07:57 PM   #6
gutted
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayton
Glad things are working out for you in SH3. I'm also glad you pointed out the problems with SH4's TDC. I had no idea just how bad it really was... (Big thumbs up for you)

*EDIT*
Your not a SH3 fanboy are you?
wouldn't say a fanboy.. im honestly trying to get into this version. haven't touched SH3 in a long time. i'm just finding SH4 very difficult to like in its current form.

haven't read through too many of the threads here, so if im repeating stuff.. oh well.
Old 04-09-07, 08:02 PM   #7
gutted
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCIP
Well, you can adjust ranges manually once you've entered it with the stadimeter.

Otherwise, I don't see why the complaint - how do you get the range anyway, without a stadimeter? (besides a sonar fix, but you can send that one to the TDC directly from there).

Personally, I don't see a 'problem'. I prefer SHIV's TDC to SHIII's any day of the week!
because im setting up a solution for a zero gyro like i used to do in SH3 without the buggy PK.

.ie after i plot the targets course on the map and have his speed, i set my scope to 0 degrees and input the range and AOB he would be at if he was at zero degrees. then i look at the gyro angle and adjust myscope by that amount and re-submit the range again to update my gyro to zero.

then simply fire a few torps at each ship of convoy as they pass my crosshairs. range to each ship from this point on shouldn't matter much with a zero gyro.

infact i used to target the first ship of each row in a convoy and have my torps hit them all at almost the exact same time in SH3 using that method.

as seen here:
http://jg52.com/gutted/sh3/Convoy.wmv

and visualized here:
http://jg52.com/gutted/sh3/Animation2.gif
Old 04-09-07, 09:54 PM   #8
-Pv-
The Old Man

Downloads: 5

It's still possible to hit several targets simal but using a different technique. Depending on the speed of the convoy decide how many ships you can target in one "salvo." Shoot the ship furthest away 1st when it crosses the 30 degree angle, then walk up the line to the ship crossing your zero angle. I typically hit three ships on a pass with that technique. It helps to be very close to them.

Different sims. Different technique. It all works out.
-Pv-
-Pv- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-07, 12:11 AM   #9
Dilbert
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
You`re kidding, right? So please tell me how do you attack multiple targets in a convoy without readjusting the TDC for every ship? In SH3 this was not necessary, as the TDC followed the periscope, one good firing solution was good enough for almost every ship in the convoy. In SH4 I have found no way to accomplish that. Don`t get me wrong, I like SH4 and the new aspects of the game. But the manual TDC is a pain for me.
Old 04-10-07, 12:18 AM   #10
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

I've never had trouble attacking multiple ships, personally, the AoB is a quick adjustment, the speed stays, and the range needs a new fix anyway.

Also, mind you, I tend not to calculate solutions at all below 800m, especially when I have overlapping targets in convoys. I zero out speed and AoB, estimate a decent lead with my scope, click on the 'range' button to align the gyro angle to my scope, and fire away. In SHIII it was just a matter of aiming the scope but hey, here it sort of slows me down which is fine.

I personally don't see why the TDC should be super-efficient, either. If it makes me do work, fine. Doesn't frustrate me, I think it's part of the rush to get everything right.

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-07, 01:19 AM   #11
Camaero
The Old Man

Downloads: 18

Quote:
I've never had trouble attacking multiple ships, personally, the AoB is a quick adjustment, the speed stays, and the range needs a new fix anyway.

Also, mind you, I tend not to calculate solutions at all below 800m, especially when I have overlapping targets in convoys. I zero out speed and AoB, estimate a decent lead with my scope, click on the 'range' button to align the gyro angle to my scope, and fire away. In SHIII it was just a matter of aiming the scope but hey, here it sort of slows me down which is fine.

I personally don't see why the TDC should be super-efficient, either. If it makes me do work, fine. Doesn't frustrate me, I think it's part of the rush to get everything right.

This is very true. Nothing like working your ass off in a mad fury of clicks before the target steams off to a bad angle. It is quite exciting I think.
Old 04-10-07, 02:45 AM   #12
sergbuto
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaero
Quote:

This is very true. Nothing like working your ass off in a mad fury of clicks before the target steams off to a bad angle. It is quite exciting I think.
Try to set a torpedo attack and fire a torpedo in SH3 using the 3D interface (without arcade 2D pullouts in the periscope view) and see how "quick" and "not exciting" that is. The option which is not available in SH4.
Old 04-10-07, 03:06 AM   #13
elanaiba
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 3

The pullouts in the 3D screen are not meant to be a nod to the so called arcade players (can you call sh4 arcade? was sh1 arcade?). Rather, they would mimic the player/captain interacting with his crew while keeping his eye on the scope.
elanaiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-07, 03:21 AM   #14
Dilbert
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

So how did they do it in reality when attacking a convoy? Fire a torpedo and then enter all the data again for the next target? That is quite inefficient in my opinion. Or was it possible to enter all the data for every tube? Does someone know of any descriptions on how the TDC really worked?
I don`t want features that were nonexistent in a real submarine, but I can't believe, that the TDC was that ineffective.
Old 04-10-07, 03:35 AM   #15
joea
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilbert
So how did they do it in reality when attacking a convoy? Fire a torpedo and then enter all the data again for the next target? That is quite inefficient in my opinion. Or was it possible to enter all the data for every tube? Does someone know of any descriptions on how the TDC really worked?
I don`t want features that were nonexistent in a real submarine, but I can't believe, that the TDC was that ineffective.
Search the forum for "TDC" you will find links on how it really worked. While it was the most advanced TDC it was no modern point-click-kill system.
joea is offline   Reply With Quote